• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar - Frontier of Pandora | Announcement Trailer

unknown.png

Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora is a first-person action-adventure game developed by Massive Entertainment, in collaboration with Lightstorm Entertainment and Disney.

Designed with the latest version of the Snowdrop engine exclusively for next-gen consoles and PCs, Avatar: Frontiers of Pandora brings the fascinating world of Pandora, from its beauty to its dangers, to life in an immersive open-world experience.
In this new independent story, you play as a Na'vi and embark on an adventure in the heart of the Western Territories, a region of Pandora hitherto unknown.

Explore a world full of life populated by unique creatures and new characters, and push back against the formidable forces of the GDR that threaten it.

2022 on PC PS5 & Xbox Series

60c30ca40d253c1914049e93-4.jpg
60c30ca40d253c1914049e93-3.jpg
60c30ca40d253c1914049e93-1.jpg
60c30ca40d253c1914049e93-5.jpg

Looks fantastic finally another nextgen only game

Open world 1st person action adventure game according to the press release Geoff just read.

Im picturing it playing something like Far Cry after that description.
If its first person thats it I aint playing it adventure games at first person are rarely good you cant feel the atmosphere and thethen action as you would in third person

Lmao they got rid of the papyrus logo for the original movie

“I know what you diiiid!!” That SNL skit is dope.

I remember trying the demo of the first Avatar game on pc, back in the day. Used Cryengine I believe and looked pretty good, was third person. Definitely will try this for the snowdrop goodness.

HAL-01

Yeah gives me the sense that we're not going to see many dropdead gorgeous games for quite some time.

Maybe Ratchet was just an anomaly among a bunch of mediocre titles (like Ryse on Xbox One)
It’s just Ubisoft being Ubisoft, they’re hardly leading the industry in terms of tech. We’ll see plenty of great looking games this month. Hopefully starting tomorrow

supernova8

Banned
It’s just Ubisoft being Ubisoft, they’re hardly leading the industry in terms of tech. We’ll see plenty of great looking games this month. Hopefully starting tomorrow

Yeah we have to depend on Microsoft now.

We already know roughly what Playstation has in the oven for the next year or so, let's just hope Xbox has some real bangers.

Rikkori

Looked fantastic! Expected nothing less from the tech geniuses at Massive. TD2 is up there with Forza Horizon 4 for best title on a tech level for last gen, and gameplay-wise it's the best 3rd person shooter ever made, as well as the best looter shooter out. They're an S-tier studio. Graphically the trailer is very close to what we'll see from the final product, Ubisoft stopped doing shenanigans like they used years ago. You can see SSR artifacts, imperfect AA, no RT in sight etc. all flaws which if it were pre-rendered wouldn't be there, even if it were a render as movie scenario like with UE 4 (see this):

And let's be honest, if you didn't know it was a Ubi title and somehow a Playstation Studios logo snuck in there somehow this thread would've exploded instead. It is what it is, not that it matters - clearly the wider market buys these games a lot more than commenters on these forums, hence all their franchises moving tens of millions of copies each. 🤷‍♂️

Vagswarm

I would have preferred a third-person, non-open world action adventure game along the lines of Fallen Order (but obviously with its own unique mechanics and ideas). Could still be great as it is

Fbh

The world of avatar is great for a game. As boring as the story was I always loved the environments and creatures in the movie.

Shame they only showed am "in engine trailer". And shame it's Ubisoft since I expect this will be like every other boring Ubisoft open world, but with an Avatar skin

That's why I said “so far”.

But if that's how the game looks, it’s miles better than Demons Souls or Ratchet.
Don’t know what people are saying here saying “oh it’s third party” blah blah blah - it looks better than anything released so far first or third that’s why I have trouble believing it will look like this - and yes I just beat Ratchet and Clank on fidelity mode and thought it was amazing

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Those Ubibullshots are something else.

Without a shadow of a doubt we're going to be served a heavy downgrade. Anyone remember Watch Dogs and The Division?

Fredrik

Imagine if Halo Infinite looked anything remotely like that.

Oh well, maybe in a decade or two... :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Imagine if Metroid looked anything remotely like that!
A powerful box and another Ubi+Nintendo partnership. Could be done. In theory.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I was clearly making a subjective comment based off the quality of the film and primarily the story, not the commercial success of the film. No shit Fox and now Disney greenlit 3/4 sequels, I also would be happy if Universal stopped making Fast and the Furious.
Apologies if that didn't come across.

I understand commercial incentives but doesn't mean that I as a consumer have to like them.
I know M8, no worries.. personally I enjoyed the film, I liked it's simplistic well troden storyline combined with hyper real visuals and Cameron's insane eye for detail but fuck me does it not constantly come in for a kicking from all quarters, I get it loads of people didn't like it but if you didn't like the white man bad native people good unoriginal story ya gotta at least admit it's a technology marvel that has yet to be surpassed or even come close too... Does it need 4 sequels? Nah bit much tbf

MadPanda

Banned
Man some of you REALLY need to get you expectations in check for when cross gen gets dropped.
Don't worry, he would be amazed if it were a console exclusive, first party game. But it's not, it's a ubisoft game so it's cool to hate it even though it looks as good, and maybe even better, than a recently shown console exclusive game.

MastaKiiLA

I finally watched it on my 4K TV. Those saying it doesn't look next-gen are fucking idiots. Those saying that this is what we should expect of next-gen visuals, might want to lower their expectations.

If we got a full-length film that looked like that, it would be a pretty impressive visual display. It won't be the best 3D animation we've ever seen, but it would be really fucking good. That simply can't be sustainable for a next-gen game. I'd love to be wrong, but I really don't see it happening. The assets to bring a jungle like that to life are probably beyond HFW's scope and scale, and the lighting is something else. This is Ubisoft. Take an entire salt flat with this video.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Hold Up Wait GIF by Martin

Was that not a CGI trailer and not gameplay running inengine? Why's everyone saying it's looks incredible and some saying it doesn't look anything special... I'm fucking confused, granted heads a bit muggy from drinking a shit ton last night but still... What did I just watch?

Just rewatched on my telly instead of my phone, missed the running in engine, gotta say that looks fucking incredible with some serious visuals on display but this is ubisoft so actual game will look fuck all like that and be massively downgraded

College Accuse GIF

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Hold Up Wait GIF by Martin

Was that not a CGI trailer and not gameplay running inengine? Why's everyone saying it's looks incredible and some saying it doesn't look anything special... I'm fucking confused, granted heads a bit muggy from drinking a shit ton last night but still... What did I just watch?
It was an in-engine showcase similar to the one you saw from BF2042 a few days ago. It might be indicative of what they're striving for in terms of visual fidelity but at the end of the day it is just that: an in-engine rendering and, one tiny factor which should also be taken into account, it's Ubisoft. Time and time again they've proven themselves to be bullshit artists when it comes to these types of reveals so only time will tell if they can live up to the quality of this trailer with the end result.

I'd love for the game to look like that mind you as I really dig the world of Avatar but I'm not holding out much hope, considering.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
It was an in-engine showcase similar to the one you saw from BF2042 a few days ago. It might be indicative of what they're striving for in terms of visual fidelity but at the end of the day it is just that: an in-engine rendering and, one tiny factor which should also be taken into account, it's Ubisoft. Time and time again they've proven themselves to be bullshit artists when it comes to these types of reveals so only time will tell if they can live up to the quality of this trailer with the end result.

I'd love for the game to look like that mind you as I really dig the world of Avatar but I'm not holding out much hope, considering.

Yeah they are notorious for over showing and under delivering, pretty much every big game they've revealed has been downgraded into oblivion and this hasn't a hope in hell of looking anything like this

Urban

I personally think that the time for "inengine" trailers are over. i hate when companies do that. Looks good but i need Gameplay.

reksveks

I know M8, no worries.. personally I enjoyed the film, I liked it's simplistic well troden storyline combined with hyper real visuals and Cameron's insane eye for detail but fuck me does it not constantly come in for a kicking from all quarters, I get it loads of people didn't like it but if you didn't like the white man bad native people good unoriginal story ya gotta at least admit it's a technology marvel that has yet to be surpassed or even come close too... Does it need 4 sequels? Nah bit much tbf
Yeah, I do enjoy alot of Cameron's film and maybe a still bitter from him 'leaving' Alistair but just want him to work on something more interesting. If he can pair the visuals in the first Avatar film with something more interesting, he might turn me around on the franchise.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I'm still a little traumatized from being forced to play the avatar game when the first movie came out.

Does anyone still care about Avatar? I know it was a big phenomenon in its moment but I can't imagine there's going to be a ton of excitement for the new one.

UnNamed

Banned
Impressive, maybe the only true next gen game so far, maybe just a good trailer with a great cinematic.
In the end, except for Watchdogs, other games from Ubisoft are visually the same as the reveals, more or less.

Last edited:
Top Bottom