• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: The Last Airbender - 10th Anniversary Rewatch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zhao is a buster. He was chumped all throughout the season by both the avatar and Zuko. Even when he "wins," he really loses. He kills the moon spirit and its revived fifteen minutes later as he flees like a coward. Then he get his ass whipped by Zuko in a fair fight. Then he gets snatched up by Aang's spirit water,
condemned to roaming around the home for infinite losers for all eternity

Wicked sideburns though.

You'd think the area that houses the power source for all waterbending, as well as a critical component of the natural order, would be better guarded.

Well, considering how secretive the Northern Water Tribe apparently was. According to Zhao, they've been searching for it for quite some time. At least as long as he's been in control (hard to believe they never bothered to attack it in 100 years). If the city itself is secret and hard to reach already, and the Spirit Oasis itself is kept secret, why bother guarding it? Doing that would give away the secret.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Not to mention... Didn't the spirits choose such forms to teach mankind humility?
Damn, I hope I'm not thinking of that movie...

Please don't stop. I love this thread. I love reading the impressions.
Keep it up.

Not to mention... Didn't the spirits choose such forms to teach mankind humility?

Please don't stop. I love this thread. I love reading the impressions.
Keep it up.

We never receive an explanation as to why they decided to stay. Some spirits just decided to remain in the human world. Twi and La just happen to be the oldest and one of the very few to still remain.

Unless Zhao says that's why they stayed. Because no one else does. I don't think he does, though. In fact, he doesn't even reveal his plan until he reaches the Oasis. Up until that point it's just "I've got something that'll stop that pesky waterbending." It doesn't go beyond that until it actually happens.

PBalfredo

Got a bit behind in the rewatch, and I'm catching up now. Just finished The Deserter and I think its one of the strongest episodes of the first season. It's our first real look at firebending since that short lesson Uncle Iroh gave Zuko in the premier. We get a lot from Jeong Jeong about the difference between fire and the other elements. It's also our first look at using water bending to heal. This episode also has some great staging and design, especially the dead tree with the candles in Jeong Jeong's hut, which we then see alive in the vision with Ruko. That whole sequence was beautiful.

fUXIx0V.jpg

2KprH2t.jpg

88random

The Deserter is special to me because it was the first time I saw this show and it made me interested to find more about it. A few weeks later, I binge watched the whole thing.

The Hermit

I am trying to get my GF into it. She said she likes it, but she doesn't like watching more than two episodes in a row... Its gonna take forever at this rate.
I don't think she actually liked it :/

Btw this is the most rewatchable show ever. I just finished season 1 and on my second viewing I can already see a lot of little touches. So great

Edit: just realized that this thread is organized in two episodes per day. Maybe I am the crazy one then.

88random

Actually, two episodes per three or four days :) But I don't care, I finished the whole show yesterday. It really holds up great, the best animated show ever and I doubt it will be topped for a long time.

Reading the impressions in the thread again, it's making me realize how much "lightning in the bottle" this show was. I liked Korra, but the characters in the original were so hard to live up too. The posts about Sokka being MVP of the show are really starting to resonate with me. Korra was definitely missing that "glue" type of character. I guess Bolin was supposed to be the "new Sokka" but it didn't quite turn out that way. Again, Korra was a great show, I just think The Last Airbender was a step above.

Interestingly enough, I did a rewatch/first time watch of the show with my gf last year. I told her to give the first 3 episodes a shot with an open mind and if she didn't like it, we could stop. We ended up watching 2-3 episodes per day until we finished the series. There were a few episodes/concepts that she really loved, and I'll post in the thread again when you guys there there.

S1E13: The Blue Spirit

- As several posters have mentioned, this episode could have been the last, so it has more than a whiff of a season finale's drama and fight choreography about it. It follows neatly on from The Storm, where we learned about Aang and Zuko's histories and they briefly encountered each other amid the storm. Here they are hunted and hunter, allies and enemies, their fortunes intertwined.
- Immediately a serious tone is established, at night at a fortified fire nation fort, Zhao and another officer arguing about the Yu Yen archers. Zhao wants to use them to hunt Aang, the officer says no way, labelling his pursuit a vanity project. Unfortunately for him Zhao has been rewarded for his continued failures by Fire Lord Ozai with a promotion to Admiral and gets his way regardless. Cut to the titular Blue Spirit listening closely above them.
- Sokka and Katara are safely out of the way, having came down with the cold following the previous storm. Aang sets off to get them medicine.
- Zuko despairs as he realises Zhao's greater resources and power leave him no chance of claiming the Avatar - Iroh notes he hasn't barked an order at his men for a whole hour (we learn, as if we didn't know, that he rarely leaves them alone).
- The Yu Yen arches turn out to be elite acrobats as well as great shots, chasing Aang down the mountainside and capturing him despite his best efforts to escape. A series of fades show us the maximum security he's immediately put under before Zhao taunts him about the air nomads' demise and threatens to keep him barely alive indefinitely. Nasty in victory as in defeat, Zhao further earns the viewer's dislike. It could all have worked out too, if he hadn't made an enemy of one of his own...
- Zuko sneaks inside the compound in disguise, aided by Zhao's decision to summon his men to listen to a triumphant speech. He proves more than capable of subduing Aang's guards without the use of his firebending, but their escape together is quickly spotted. Next comes a marvellous, kinetic sequence where Aang and his masked ally fight their way through hordes of the fire nation's finest, stealing their weapons and using their ladders as stilts. Aang has the chance to flee on his own, before the gates can be closed, but turns to rescue his saviour, struggling to hold them off with his dual swords. - It's all for nought, as Zhao corners them behind the last wall, where he orders his men to stand down for fear of killing the Avatar. Zuko, thinking quickly, grabs Aang and threatens to slit his throat. Zhao buys it, and again outsmarts himself, letting them through so his archers can incapacitate him, only for Aang to rescue them both, after discovering The Blue Spirit's identity.
- Zuko blasts Aang when he awakes, and they both return to their camps alone to rest. Yet this is still a seminal episode - Zuko turning on the fire nation's command in such a clandestine way will have it's consequences, one way or another.

S1E14: The Fortuneteller

- "Do you mean all of you or just your neck?" Katara sees Aang as a good friend, a "sweet little guy". Well this episode's going to be a silly one about romance. And fortunetelling about romance.
- Appa literally makes the Platypus Bear shit an egg.
- Sokka thinks the fortunetelling is a load of nonsense, and monopolises all the best lines as he tries to convince Aang, Katara, and the villagers likewise, with no success. The writing is far sharper than it was in the early episodes.
- Aang tries to tell Katara he likes her during Aunt Wu's cloud reading, I believe for the first time in the series. She isn't listening, too engrossed with Aunt Wu's predictive brilliance.
- A lovely scene, shot in a dim, red light, between Meng and Aang, effectively brings an end to the silly, playful part of the episode and transistions to the "save the village from the volcano" climax. Meng admits she was stalking Aang, and is smart enough to have picked up his attraction to Katara, acknowledging she's no comparison (her reward is to get the last word of this episode, cursing Katara a "floozy" as she turns goodbye).
- Aang, shot in the heat haze of the lava, uses his air bending to cool it, saving the village. Katara is reminded just how powerful a bender he is. Hmm.
- A palate cleanser after the determined, intense episodes 12 and 13, the writing is more than up to the task of keeping things entertaining even if the subject matter is facile. Love the red tint used in the two serious scenes to distinguish them.

Episode Ranking:

1. The Storm
2. Avatar Roku
3. The Southern Air Temple
4. Jet
5. The Avatar Returns
6. Imprisoned
7. The Spirit World
8. The Waterbending Scroll
9. The Fortuneteller
10. The Warriors of Kyoshi
11. The Boy in the Iceberg
12. The King of Omashu
13. The Great Divide

openrob

Ok I am currently up to "The Seige of the North pt 1"

It's interesting, I really feel for Sokka and this episode really gives him ssome depth. It's more than "I like a girl" (although he has already sweet talked Suki haha) but this ep has a real focus on him.

Because it's a part of his identity, Katara can find identity in Waterbending, Aang can find identity as an Avatar and an Air Nomad, but Sokka really doesn't get to join in with anything. He was ripped of his family from young, and taken from his Identity as one who will grow up in the water tribe to become a warrior. Instead he travels the world, but rarely gets to reconnect. That's partly why he was so adament in sigining up for a 'dangeroius' mission without even deliberating with his 'team', because truthfully he felt just as much connected to the water tribe as he did the Gaang. See how much meeting Bato meant to him.

Also, I love the way the music throws abck to the song Iroh was singing on the bnoat when Sokka gets his head markings from the Water Tribe Chief

Jacob

Coming soon to a thread near you...

Rf4A86Q.jpg

Book 2: Earth

I think the best way to do this is for people to watch and comment at their own pace since that's what the Book 1 rewatch ended up turning into anyway. I'm super busy with work this week (turns out being an acting manager will do that to you) but I hope to start Book 2 soon. If anyone wants to kick off their impressions of "The Avatar State", "The Cave of Two Lovers", and beyond, feel free to start. In terms of spoilers, let's try to keep specific future plot points tagged if no one has posted impressions of a given episode yet, and please don't jump ahead to, say, something from late in Book 3 while others are still working their way through Book 2 in sequence. :)

"To teach man kindness and humility" is indeed a line in the movie, but to M Night's (extremely fleeting) credit, the show doesn't offer an explanation for why the spirits made themselves so vulnerable so he's not exactly contradicting anything.

openrob

Maybe continue after Easter Holiday?
Also I think having a structure, even if it isnt adhered to completely, gives everyone an idea of the pace of where we should be. So maybe say by X date we will be up to Y episode. What do you think?

Jacob

We can do that if people think it will be helpful, yeah. Do you guys think that "unlocking" new episodes twice a week is still a good pace or should we make it once a week? That might make for more pauses in the thread but should give more people the chance to stay current.

I don't want to cause too much of a delay for Toothless since he's been so good with the schedule ;) but you raise a good point. After Easter would work better for me and might give people more time for catching up. Thoughts?

Hamlet

We can do that if people think it will be helpful, yeah. Do you guys think that "unlocking" new episodes twice a week is still a good pace or should we make it once a week? That might make for more pauses in the thread but should give more people the chance to stay current.

I don't want to cause too much of a delay for Toothless since he's been so good with the schedule ;) but you raise a good point. After Easter would work better for me and might give people more time for catching up. Thoughts?

Hmm once a week would make for an easier pace to keep up with. Though i'm ok with any other sort of schedule if people prefer something else. I'll eventually catch up ha.

Toothless

I'm honestly fine with going at any pace. Whatever allows more "discussion" would be great, since I find that I typically now bring up stuff that people also bring up weeks later after I've forgotten it, heh.

Jacob

Alright, let's give once a week a try. Here's what the schedule would look like then, starting up this Wednesday, which gives us a solid two week break from the end of Book 1.

Wed 08 Apr: The Avatar State & The Cave of Two Lovers
Wed 15 Apr: Return to Omashu & The Swamp & Avatar Day
Wed 22 Apr: The Blind Bandit & Zuko Alone
Wed 29 Apr: The Chase & Bitter Work
Wed 06 May: The Library & The Desert
Wed 13 May: The Serpent's Pass & The Drill
Wed 20 May: City of Walls and Secrets & Tales of Ba Sing Se & Appa's Lost Days
Wed 27 May: Lake Laogai & The Earth King
Wed 03 Jun: The Guru & The Crossroads of Destiny

PBalfredo

Good timing, just got caught up and finished watching The Siege of the North. Great episodes, I especially like how much they tied the nature of bending into the flow of the battle, with each side gaining power with the sun and the moon. The spirit world journey is great and who doesn't love how wonderfully creepy Koh is. The subplot with Sokka volunteering for the suicide mission didn't really go anywhere except for giving us a reason for him to be with Yue at the climax and to set up the gag of Hahn's pitiful assassination attempt.

Since we all just finished watching The Siege of the North, now is a good time to recommend the excellent unofficial comic Water Tribe. It takes place soon after A:tLA (so spoilers for anyone watching for the first time with us) where Zhao survived the Ocean Spirit attack, but lost his memory and was taken in by the Water Tribe. The creator was an artist of the avatar comics that appeared in Nickelodeon Magazine as well as a storyboard artist for Korra, so this is level above most fan-comics. It's 400+ pages long and a completed story. If you haven't already checked it out, I highly recommend you give it a read!

Jintor

Goddamnit PB I was just about to recommend Water Tribe. RUFFTOOOOONSSSS

Gonna send you to a firey interceptor death for pipping me boi

Toothless

If we can recommend fandom works, then, damn do I have a good fanfic to recommend at the Ba Sing Se arc. There's a fanfic that's maybe one of two total throughout all fandoms that I absolutely think is a masterpiece tied into that arc.

Jintor

I honestly think Water Tribe is far better than any of the official licenced comics, although I only read one of the compilations and two/3 of The Promise. (Or was it the other one? I forget)

Jacob

It was good for me to have a little bit of time after the Book 1 finale to reflect on everything (can't believe NTDYLF watched the whole thing in a single day :lol), but I'm excited to jump into Book 2. GOAT season.

Man, look at that episode lineup.

It's pretty fucking incredible. Everything from The Blind Bandit onward is top-notch stuff. There's at least four episodes in Book 2 that I'd call masterpieces and among my favorite episodes of anything. "Avatar Day" is the only real misstep IMO.

Since we all just finished watching The Siege of the North, now is a good time to recommend the excellent unofficial comic Water Tribe. It takes place soon after A:tLA (so spoilers for anyone watching for the first time with us) where Zhao survived the Ocean Spirit attack, but lost his memory and was taken in by the Water Tribe. The creator was an artist of the avatar comics that appeared in Nickelodeon Magazine as well as a storyboard artist for Korra, so this is level above most fan-comics. It's 400+ pages long and a completed story. If you haven't already checked it out, I highly recommend you give it a read!

Wow, I hadn't heard of this before, but it looks incredible so far. Bookmarking it for later. Rufftoon's parody comics were great so it'll be cool to see something long form from them.

Speaking of the Book 1 finale, here are my previously promised thoughts on Book 1 as a whole, only a little bit later than expected. xP

It's been a while since I've rewatched any of ATLA in bulk, but I was looking forward to Book 1 especially because I've watched it comparatively less than the other two episodes. However, I had fond memories of much of it, and I've found myself in the position of defending Book 1 in the Korra OTs on several occasions. There was a time when I ranked it the second-best season of Avatar, but my appreciation for Book 3 has grown considerably since then. Still, I do think that Book 1 sometimes gets more shit than it deserves.

Having just rewatched the whole thing, though, I can certainly understand why it does. It's easy (at least for me) to let a lot of the more gratingly juvenile stuff fade away into memory while still recalling the good parts fondly. Sure, there were some episodes like The Great Divide and The King of Omashu that I remembered being bored stiff by, but there was more kinda cringey stuff in some of the episodes that I liked (especially the first three) than I had remembered. I do think that on the whole this is a minor issue compared to the high points of the season, but it can get old fast when watching.

The episode that I liked the least compared to what I expected/remembered was The Fortuneteller (though it didn't help that I wasn't in a great mood when I watched it, and it did have a bunch of funny parts that I still like a lot). The episode that surprised me the most was probably Avatar Roku, which didn't really stand out in my memory much but that I found very effective this go-around. I really enjoy some of the stand-alone episodes, especially The Warriors of Kyoshi and The Waterbending Scroll, and I think that the mixture of episodic and serialized storytelling is a big strength of ATLA. That said, it's definitely the core plot episodes that are the strongest and end up making the season as memorable as it is. As far as I recall, Book 1's stand-alone episodes were a more self-contained than the latter seasons (especially Book 2), but I'll have to wait until we get that far to see how accurate my recollections for those seasons are.

Anyway, the rough spots in Book 1 do cause me to add a caveat when I recommend ATLA to people, but the season does turn into something pretty spectacular and rewatching the show reveals some of the ways that the advance planning showed through, even in the very early episodes. It's some good shit, even if it is comparatively the weakest season.
It's still better than any season of Korra.

Episode Ranking

1. The Siege of the North (Parts 1 & 2)
2. The Blue Spirit
3. The Storm
4. The Waterbending Master
5. Jet
6. The Warriors of Kyoshi
7. The Southern Air Temple
8. Avatar Roku
9. The Waterbending Scroll
10. The Boy in the Iceberg/The Avatar Returns
11. The Fortuneteller
12. The Northern Air Temple
13. Bato of the Water Tribe
14. The Deserter
15. The Spirit World
16. Imprisoned
17. The King of Omashu
18. The Great Divide

PBalfredo

I honestly think Water Tribe is far better than any of the official licenced comics, although I only read one of the compilations and two/3 of The Promise. (Or was it the other one? I forget)

Hard to argue with that. As good as some of the post-series comics are, I think Water Tribe does a better job adapting the series to the medium. Particularly the action sequences; the official comics treat it the same way one would on the show, but having panels showing that bending is happening isn't the same as making it interesting in comic form. Meanwhile since Zhao is without his bending for most of Water Tribe, it does a lot more showing how the character has use his wits, which works for comics a lot better.. It also has a much stronger, singular focus than the official comics and isn't bound by trying to cram a story within a certain number of books/pages.

Jacob

If we can recommend fandom works, then, damn do I have a good fanfic to recommend at the Ba Sing Se arc. There's a fanfic that's maybe one of two total throughout all fandoms that I absolutely think is a masterpiece tied into that arc.

It's been a while since I've regularly read ATLA fanfic, but I'd be happy to read something you recommended! Whether you want to post it now or once the re-watch reaches Ba Sing Se. :)

I've said my piece on the ATLA continuation comics before (I'm not impressed by them), but your endorsement is encouraging. :) I will say though that some of the spin-off comics from back when ATLA was airing are good. Don't get me wrong, most are garbage, but
Going Home Again (link) includes mai waifu Jin as well as some good Zuko angst, and Private Fire (link) is actually pretty funny and cements the legend of one of the franchise's greatest memetic badasses.

Jintor

Like when people talk about how LOLKIDSWACKY Avatar appears, that's sometimes how I feel the official comics come across; even though a lot of the time it's addressing subject matter that is relatively close to the show in complexity (for instance the issue of colony cities that are neither Earth Kingdom or Fire Nation, but a mix of both, and their place in the reconstruction), it often feels a lot more wacky. Or maybe the 'comedic' moments don't mesh as well anymore?

It's not a 'comics' issue though because I feel like Water Tribe hits the nail on the head as to how ATLA should have appeared in comic form.

/edit I'm pretty sure Rufftoons (who drew Water Tribe) drew the Wang Fire issue as well.

Jacob

"You believe my son is the one the soldiers call the Blue Spirit?"

"That's right, Jon. As I was saying, I discovered this when I visited an ancient secret library..."

The aftermath of that movie was so funny. I think it had to be; that was the only way to handle the disappointment.

Trey

Thanks for this.

Jintor

"You believe my son is the one the soldiers call the Blue Spirit?"

"That's right, Jon. As I was saying, I discovered this when I visited an ancient secret library..."

The aftermath of that movie was so funny. I think it had to be; that was the only way to handle the disappointment.

I'm now imagining a John Oliver Smurfs correspondent segment as well

Toothless

It's been a while since I've regularly read ATLA fanfic, but I'd be happy to read something you recommended! Whether you want to post it now or once the re-watch reaches Ba Sing Se. :)

I'll keep y'all in anticipation. ;) I read it a few years ago; kinda want to skim it over a bit to see if it's still up to par, heh...

S1E15: Bato of the Water Tribe

- For the first time since the early episodes set in the Northern Water Tribe, the fate of the NWT's men is touched on, as Aang stumbles on a water tribe weapon.
- Iroh and Zuko return too, ambushed by June the bounty-hunter (I instantly recognised Jennifer Hale, sounding exactly like she does voicing Naomi Hunter in MGS1) riding her Shirshu, a vicious beast which can temporarily paralyse with a lash of its tongue. They get the idea to let her Shirshu's absurdly acute sense of smell do the work of hunting the Avatar for them, or, at least, hunting Katara via her necklace.
- "He means no offense, I am certain you bathe regularly" - Iroh trying to make up for Zuko's impolitness to the patrons of the tavern where they find June.
- Sokka is troubled by memories of being left behind due to his youth, when suddenly Bato shows up, wounded and waiting to recover before joining up with Hakoda and the other men.
- Aang, in an unusual fit of jealousy, after being sidelined during the water tribe reunion, gets Hakoda's letter and hides it from Sokka and Katara, worried they may leave him.
- "At my age there is only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery." Iroh's at one with his mortality.
- Sokka successfully completes the rite of passage amid the rapids, even inventing a few naval techniques of his own, using Katara's and Aang's bending to get over some rocks. Afterwards Aang confesses he hid the map, at which Sokka flies into a rage. One of the rare occasions where I don't really think the characters act consistently - I don't buy that either Sokka, or most especially, Katara would abandon Aang so quickly, having travelled together for months. In any event Sokka reconsiders and turns around soon after.
- But not soon enough, as they get ambushed, paralysed and captured by June, Zuko & co. This gives Aang the perfect opportunity to come to their aid, and starts one of the greatest season 1 battles, as Aang and Zuko duel in the village courtyard, across the rooftops, and above and in a well, while Appa keeps things fair by occupying the Shirshu. The effects here are top drawer - we can feel Appa's crushing power, his wincing, growling pain as he's lashed, time and again, by June and her Shirshu. Aang takes Zuko on more or less the same way he did all the way back in episode 3, getting in close, juking him and counter-attacking, but Zuko's stepped up his game and they blast each other, DBZ style, on to opposite rooftops after an intense bout. Sokka and Iroh demonstrate their tactical aptitude here too, as Sokka gets Katara to use the perfumes to blind the Shirshu, and Iroh uses the Shirshu's blindness to engineer a "moment" with June.
- And the gang end, united, aboard Appa. Aang has a little something for Katara, her heirloom necklace pinched back from Zuko. Much better than the one he made from some fishing line, and much better received, he wins himself a kiss (that's two ways the final scene calls back to The Fortuneteller).
- So I'm conflicted on this episode - there's so much that's great, the climactic encounter, the denouement, June's rugged character and ascerbic wit - does anyone other than Iroh mock Zuko so mercilessly and get away with it until Azula shows up? -, Sokka coming of age with a flourish, but the character beats, upon which so much of Avatar's success rest, for once go awry.

S1E16: The Deserter

- The last excursions to the fire nation before season 2, The Deserter sees Aang try to learn another element (beyond air and water) for the first time in the series from a reclusive fire nation master. He learns something else.
- I note the propaganda puppet show delivered to the children during the festival.
- Aang doesn't seem to understand the idea that Katara is just acting as a damsel for the firebender's trick. Kind of an odd scene, even if the festival is well animated, detailed and full of colour.
- The opening scene (in the woods) has the same yellow hue as Aang and Jeong Jeong's by candlelight, and many of the outdoor scenes have an evening glow. I like the air it creates - worried and nervous.
- Aang is an impatient pupil who wants to advance quickly (this is one episode where his attitude is reminiscent of Korra's) and doesn't have any respect for fire's danger. He ends up burning Katara (cue a deus ex machina where she discovers she has healing powers, but her pain and Sokka's anger are real). Sokka's cautious attitude is ultimately justified - when he shouts at Jeong Jeong that it's his fault, he is told he's right.
- Jeong Jeong's judge of Aang's power is correct - Zhao is no match for him -, and Aang demonstrates his greater understanding of firebending by provoking and humiliating the master's former pupil, Ozai, tricking him into burning his ships. "Are you crazy?! You haven't thrown a single blow!"; "No, but you have." Haha.
- Katara heals Aang's burns and that's that. I like this episode a lot. It is of the "moral lesson of the day" variety, but it's a good lesson well learnt, even if Aang does behave a bit too eagerly. The little insights into the fire nation at the festival are good, the fight with Zhao is excellent and the tension is built up subtley with the repeated yellow filter before Aang burns Katara.

Episode Ranking:

1. The Storm
2. Avatar Roku
3. The Southern Air Temple
4. Jet
5. The Deserter
6. The Avatar Returns
7. Bato of the Water Tribe
8. Imprisoned
9. The Spirit World
10. The Waterbending Scroll
11. The Fortuneteller
12. The Warriors of Kyoshi
13. The Boy in the Iceberg
14. The King of Omashu
15. The Great Divide

Jacob

201 "The Avatar State"

Original airdate: March 17, 2006
Written by: Aaron Ehasz & Elizabeth Welch Ehasz & Tim Hedrick & John O'Bryan
Directed by: Giancarlo Volpe

We've arrived at Book 2! This is definitely a re-introduction episode, but I wouldn't describe it as perfunctory. Fong is pretty entertaining, and an explanation for the Avatar State was needed by this point, because the Book 1 finale had taken it from simple power-up to weapon of mass destruction. I think the justification they craft here is a believable one. The show doesn't touch on the theme of trauma from violence all that much, but I think it's presence here is a tacit admission that people did actually die during The Siege of the North. I might be reading too much into things, though they make that amission about the Earth Kingdom soldiers here. Anyway, I think this is the first episode where Zuko has a B-plot all to himself that does not intersect with Aang's in any way. This becomes the norm for much of the rest of the show and I think it demonstrates the increasing confidence of the writers and the roles they were finding for the characters. And of course, the introduction of Azula adds another crucial ingredient to the recipe of what makes the show great.

Because there's a good deal of exposition here (albeit not enough for this to be an entry episode for first-time viewers), there's nothing too spectacular that happens here. However, I think it goes to show that the baseline for quality has increased since the first season. The show looks as good as it ever did in Book 1 here, on a technical level. The new warm-weather outfits for the Gaang are a nice touch, and in keeping with the seasonal theme of the Avatar Cycle (air/autumn, water/winter, earth/spring, fire/summer) and the show's chronology, we get the gorgeous cherry blossom resort to help establish this as a springtime episode. The music continues to kick ass, and Zach Tyler Eisen in particular impresses with how he continues to grow into the role of Aang and iron out the few minor issues that had been present before.

202 "The Cave of Two Lovers"

Original airdate: March 24, 2006
Written by: Joshua Hamilton
Directed by: Lauren MacMullan

I really love this episode. It's the first of the subculture-of-the-week episodes in early Book 2
(hippies, hillbillies, and professional wrestlers)
. It really has very little to do with the main plot, being all about the journey (and not a very long one at that), but it's so well told and enjoyable that I'd rank it as one of the best episodes of the show so far at this point. It's certainly one of the funniest episodes, and the characters all shine here as they explore the theme of love in various forms. The hippie nomads are among the more memorable guest stars in the show, and Dee Bradley Baker proves that he's just as good when he has actual words to say. Some great songs, too. The B-plot starts off quite funny (Iroh's endless pursuit of tea being fertile ground for comedy), but it ends up having one of the more gut-wrenching endings so far in its own quiet way. The fireflies in the nighttime departure scene are a stand-out in what is also one of the best-looking episodes of the show.

I don't have quite as much to say about this episode, in part because it's late, but also because I think it stands on its own really well and I don't want to over-analyze it. I have a soft spot for the self-contained episodes that only touch on the larger story through character development and exploration, and this is one of the best of that class of episode. One of the little things I noticed here that I hadn't before was during the brief scene with the Gaang under attack by Fire Nation catapults. Sokka is justifiably confident beforehand that they can evade the Fire Nation, and the fact that they weren't is a clever bit of foreshadowing of the episode's final shot.

The Hermit

Iam finally at Season 3, but I stopped so I can both keep up with this thread and waiting for my GF to wacth the rest of the episodes. Surprisingly she is enjoying it much more than I expected.

I am rewatching with her and the only episode I skipped was the great divide, since I though it was just filler ( though its probably the only one so far). I noticed it is in the bottom of the rank of the episodes so far, so I think I am not the only one to feel that way.

I am wondering if I should skip Bato of the Water Tribe too, it has a great fight scene, but it quite an annoying episode TBH, and it only shows how Anng recovers Katara's necklace.

Trey

The Avatar State

General Fong was right. To me, if AtLA ever failed anywhere, it was in how the show handled the Avatar State. AS is a really cool aspect of the universe, but the plot trajectory clearly shows the writers had no real plan for it. The state kind of bounces around all throughout Water, before
being functionally written out of the show in the Earth's finale

As such, the entire thing goes back and forth, with Aang's character sort of orbiting the subject but never truly embracing it. And to me, that was a large mistake.

The Cave of Two Lovers

This episode is frequently chastised by fans and written off as filler, but I think it showcases some of the most touching moments between the two leads. It was actually tasteful shipping, wrapped up in some neat lore to further contextualize the situation.
Also, it's exhibit B for showing how hopeless Zutara fans were

Jacob

Edited my thoughts on these episodes into my earlier post.

Iam finally at Season 3, but I stopped so I can both keep up with this thread and waiting for my GF to wacth the rest of the episodes. Surprisingly she is enjoying it much more than I expected.

I am rewatching with her and the only episode I skipped was the great divide, since I though it was just filler ( though its probably the only one so far). I noticed it is in the bottom of the rank of the episodes so far, so I think I am not the only one to feel that way.

I am wondering if I should skip Bato of the Water Tribe too, it has a great fight scene, but it quite an annoying episode TBH, and it only shows how Anng recovers Katara's necklace.

Glad to hear the rewatch is going well for you guys! I wouldn't recommend skipping any episodes other than The Great Divide, though. Pretty much all of them either advance the main plot, contain worthwhile character moments, introduce elements that return later in a significant way, or some combination of all three. (The Great Divide being the main exception to this generalization.) I think the Bato episode is worthwhile for reminding viewers of the Water Tribe warriors and also introducing June.

Toothless

The Avatar State

Damn, what a great opener. First, the general in this episode has always made me laugh. He’s completely over-the-top in his mannerisms and his plan is obviously poorly put together at the end and he still thinks it’s a good idea? LOL. The revelation with Aang and Roku at the end is super important and pretty well-executed, plus we see Kuruk and Yangchen for the first time which is neat. There’s also some very good Katara and Sokka stuff in the main plot that manages to be both entertaining (Momo-head Sokka) and character-building (Katara asking Aang not to go into the Avatar state in front of her). The Zuko plot is the best part of the episode though, with Iroh immediately knowing something is up with Azula (who, after her first scene which I’ve always had an issue with for being over-the-top and unthreatening, makes a hell of a good introduction) and Zuko instead believing her after not seeing her for three years. The fight at the end is great, along with the great final shot of them cutting their hair. Great opener.

The Cave of Two Lovers

No joke, this is one of my favorite episodes ever. It’s a fun inbetween episode of two much more serious installments, but it totally works. It has the fun shipping elements of Kataang (they totally kissed in there, come on) but has fun with it too (“If I had the choice between kissing you or dying…” Never change Aang haha). Sokka and the nomads are some of the best one-off comic relief ever made. “I think that kid might be the Avatar,” is up there with “The lotus tile was in my sleeve the whole time” with making me laugh every time. Secret Tunnel needs to be my ringtone too. Speaking of Iroh though, the Zuko subplot adds some nice seriousness to the proceedings, as he interacts with a non-Fire Nation citizen for the first time. The conversation is simple enough but it works, and the ending with stealing the ostrich-thing is pretty well-done. The cliffhanger is good too, especially with the closing shot. One of my faves.

A-V-B

201 "The Avatar State"

Original airdate: March 17, 2006
Written by: Aaron Ehasz & Elizabeth Welch Ehasz & Tim Hedrick & John O'Bryan

Ahhh, Book Two and the magical hand of Aaron Ehasz. I hope he is well, wherever he is.

Jacob

I've been reading a bit of rufftoon's Water Tribe comic over the past few days and I agree with Jintor's assessment. It's definitely the best Avatar comic (official or otherwise) that I've read. Big thanks to PBalfredo for posting it. :)

Speaking of fanworks, reading this has made me go back and revisit some of my old favorites. Back when the show was airing I didn't spend a lot of time on the Internet, but I was somehow introduced to some of the YouTube parodies that were made at the time. They still crack me up but I have no idea if they'd be funny without the nostalgia factor. They are pretty dumb. But Avatar: The Abridged Series and Avatar Stupidity will always hold a special place in my heart. Did anyone else ever watch those?

Toothless

Speaking of fanworks, reading this has made me go back and revisit some of my old favorites. Back when the show was airing I didn't spend a lot of time on the Internet, but I was somehow introduced to some of the YouTube parodies that were made at the time. They still crack me up but I have no idea if they'd be funny without the nostalgia factor. They are pretty dumb. But Avatar: The Abridged Series and Avatar Stupidity will always hold a special place in my heart. Did anyone else ever watch those?

I remember watching Avatar Abridged! It was pretty good stuff, I was actually planning on rewatching those once we finish this rewatch actually, haha.

Jacob

203 "Return to Omashu"

Original airdate: April 7, 2006
Written by: Elizabeth Welch Ehasz
Directed by: Ethan Spaulding

204 "The Swamp"

Original airdate: April 14, 2006
Written by: Tim Hedrick

205 "Avatar Day"

Original airdate: April 28, 2006
Written by: John O'Bryan
Directed by: Lauren MacMullan

Toothless

Return to Omashu

I’m always surprised by how packed this episode is. We’ve got the debut of Ty Lee, the debut of Mai (which plays like she’s a character-of-the-week at the beginning, until she meets Azula), liberating Omashu’s citizens, and Aang finding King Bumi. Yet, the episode’s pace never really suffers, instead using this momentum to power through some quick character building. Katara does get kind of short-changed by the episode, and there’s Iroh and Zuko subplot, but it’s fine because the former gets a few awesome moves in her fight against Mai and the latter isn’t missed with Azula screwing up Ty Lee’s circus plans. I’m also always left thinking how Omashu was conquered so quickly, when Aang really was there last only a month or so prior. I guess doing nothing is a quick way to lose fight. It ends with an awesome fight/chase between Ozai’s Angels and the Gaang, with chi-blocking being introduced and Azula really meeting Aang for the first time. There’s also something cute with Tom Tom I guess. Good episode.

The Swamp

Yeah, I’m really not a fan of this episode. When the best part of the episode is Appa and Momo shenanigans, you can tell it’s a weak one. Note that I say Appa and Momo and not the annoying swamp people. All the one-off people
for now
are incredibly annoying this episode. We get some good Aang and Katara moments, but that’s not enough. Sokka is going through the motions of a “supernatural stuff isn’t real” plot and it’s dull. In theory, the visions of Yue, Katara’s mother, and
Toph Bei Fong
should be interesting, but they’re over so quickly they barely register as scenes. Even Zuko and Iroh don’t do enough to save the episode, with the return of the Blue Spirit being a cool cliffhanger, but really not much else. This episode is just kind of there.

Okay, I’m going to probably weird by saying I think this episode is super fun. Yes, it is very silly, but you know what? That adds to the charm. We have James Hong guest-starring as his character from Mulan, being campy and over-the-top. We get interesting lore on Kyoshi and see her in the flesh for the first time. Sokka and Katara investigating works as comedy, and it explores their relationship in a fun way. The two of them and Aang all get great character moments throughout the episode, and the comic relief works. Foamy mouth guy returns too! Finally, we have Zuko and Iroh bringing gravitas to the episode, with Iroh giving a great speech about hope and then Zuko’s heartbreaking decision to go it alone. Sokka’s line “Boomerang! You do always come back” is one of his best ever, and his closing line is perfect for this wacky episode. This is what The Great Divide should’ve been.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom