• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar: The Way of Water's action scenes vs. MCU?

IFireflyl

Gold Member
do you think Cameron is better at directing action then what you see from Marvel?

James Cameron has a proven track record of delivering quality. He doesn't coast on his successes, nor does he make excuses. The question isn't, "Who did it better?" The question is, "Were you amazed?" That's what James Cameron shoots for, and that is what makes him a great director.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The Russo Brothers delivered a few scenes that were minor tier Cameron scenes, but thats about it. There have been a lot of good comic splash page type.scenes in the MCU nut action wise it is decidedly middle to low rung stuff.

Blade2.0

The airport fight scene from civil war and helicarrier cap 2 scenes are still the best ones in the entire MCU verse. Honestly, and I absolutely blame COVID for this, they've been rather lackluster since then.

James Cameron directed, and yes he directed--unlike modern Marvel work for hire directors with separate second units for action-- some of the greatest action scenes AND films in history. T1, T2, Aliens, True Lies, the man is not just any Hollywood director he is the greatest action director to have reached those heights. Even Avatar, maybe his weakest work on the action front, is clearly the template for large scale CGI action scenes which Marvel has copied again and again. Who even holds MCU action scenes in high esteem, do you even know what good action is?

Joke thread?
I don't understand the thread. MCU action scenes are rancid turds.
We'll see, but Cameron has made some now iconic, legendary action scenes.
Damn straight.

The Russo Brothers delivered a few scenes that were minor tier Cameron scenes, but thats about it. There have been a lot of good comic splash page type.scenes in the MCU nut action wise it is decidedly middle to low rung stuff.
Turns out the Russo Brothers are only as good as their second unit stunt teams. Both of those you mentioned are done by some of the best action/stunt guys in the biz, while much of the other stuff in MCU is not. And just look at The Gray Man for when Russo Brothers are more hands on with their action, wooo boy it's rough.

20cent

Banned
I've seen all MCU movies up to Endgame, the only memorable scene in 20+ movies was Cap America raising Thor's hammer.
And maybe the elevator scene from Winter Soldier which was Jason Bourne low tier level.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
someone said the fight in Black Panther surpasses T2 in an old thread a while back
arnold schwarzenegger t2 GIF by Coolidge Corner Theatre

If memory serves me this was a real stunt not miniatures. Or cgi.
Granted the CGI in T2 has aged but the action. No way.

Or maybe I’m misremembering it and it was the helicopter was real and Cameron got a real helicopter to fly under an LA over pass

So none of what the copter is doing is CGI.(wide shots wise I mean)
You are basically saying one director versus the whole of the MCU and people are coming back saying how good the one director is. Doesn’t that tell you something ?

I believe that should they rerelease Aliens special edition into the cinema and all they did was tidy up some SFX shots (remove the edges around green screen etc) give the film some clean up remove any scratches etc. The film would be lauded as the best sci-fi action film by modern audiences.

Oh wait maybe this scene would trigger modern audiences

Show me a better scene in the MCU. You can feel that tension. What’s better is how before all this he sets the marines up as acting like they are the most bad ass people ever.

Oh yeah one other thing.
Cameron writes movie scripts.

james cameron boat GIF by South Park
arnold schwarzenegger terminator GIF

Admittedly he has a reputation for being a maniac and there was that incident on titanic

And the abyss https://www.slashfilm.com/840780/shooting-the-abyss-nearly-killed-james-cameron/

Last edited:

levyjl1988

Banned

The Way of Water needs to make at least $2 billion to break even.
After the success of Spider-Man No Way Home and Top Gun: Maverick, this movie cannot afford to be woke. Once you go woke you go broke. This movie needs to hit a strong 90% and over on metacritic and Rotten Tomatoes.
James Cameron cannot fuck around with that much money spent on this project and have it be a colossal failure. But with his track record, I'm sure he can pull it off, especially with the long wait. But I've seen bad launch failures like CyberPunk 2077, but this is a movie, not a game.
Let's see how this plays out, especially for an audience so used to CGI in this industry. James Cameron has to really push the envelope.
Sony did the unthinkable and put all the previous Spider-Man in one movie and the original cast for No Way Way Home.
Tom Cruise actually put actors in fighter jets in Top Gun Maverick.
James Cameron is putting actors underwater for long periods of time.
The envelope for AAAA blockbuster movies has to be just that. Taking a risk and paying it off in spades.

James fucking Cameron's 12 year passion project vs soulless tepid tame garbage franchise for 12 year olds and casuals like an old christian mom or grandma or say a sorority girl or frat guy.

Basically people who aren't going to scrutinize or think anything about the craft or filmmaking. James Cameron is an alpha. An auteur. He actually directs his action with panache. As opposed to MCU who has directors who basically do nothing and all the action is done by mistreated underpaid VFX artist like 2 years before a script is even written.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
James fucking Cameron's 12 year passion project vs soulless tepid tame garbage franchise for 12 year olds and casuals like an old christian mom or grandma or say a sorority girl or frat guy.

Basically people who aren't going to scrutinize or think anything about the craft or filmmaking. James Cameron is an alpha. An auteur. He actually directs his action with panache. As opposed to MCU who has directors who basically do nothing and all the action is done by mistreated underpaid VFX artist like 2 years before a script is even written.
What in the copypasta hell is this? 🤣

I despise avatar, but any James Cameron directed action scene is going to shit on even the very best Marvel scenes - and from a tremendous height.

I honestly don't care. I just want the movie to come and go so I can stop hearing about it for fuck sake.

I am so tired of hearing about the ridiculous hype around this pile.

LMAO, imagine sh*tting on the Avatar movies while watching the mass-produced crap that Marvel puts out nowadays.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
This thread is all kinds of wtf? The films not even out yet. I don't remember anything from the 1st Avatar not even the action bits. Im a fan of T2 and Aliens Cameron cant stand Blue Cat People Cameron.

Last edited:

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended

Tell me you don't know how movies are made without telling me you don't know how movies are made.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
So instead of an actual refutation I get a stock reddit snarky reply? Kinda makes me think I do know how movies are made.

No, actually you don't. Not from your post, anyway.

"CGI made before the script is written"

"Directors who basically do nothing"

"All the action is created by underpaid, abused vfx artists"

That sounds like you don't know how a movie is made. All the praise to Cameron but... The MCU has actual great directors like Coogler and the Eternals director and Raimi and Branaugh and... I don't know man... You just sound like ... Eh. Whatever.

jason10mm

Gold Member
So instead of an actual refutation I get a stock reddit snarky reply? Kinda makes me think I do know how movies are made.
Don't take it personally. DT loves himself some Marvel, that's all. It's fine, Cameron isn't really kicking down the doors with script depth or conceptual wonder (though I think the former is why his films are so commercially successful and the later IS there, just all in his tech bible and not always on screen) but no one should compare his efforts with the MCU. Though, TBF, virtually the ENTIRE MCU winked into existence between Avatar 1 and now so while they have been running lap after lap, Cameron has been, ever so slowly, turning to the crowd to say "Hey, hold my beer!" :p

No, actually you don't. Not from your post, anyway.

"CGI made before the script is written"

"Directors who basically do nothing"

"All the action is created by underpaid, abused vfx artists"

That sounds like you don't know how a movie is made. All the praise to Cameron but... The MCU has actual great directors like Coogler and the Eternals director and Raimi and Branaugh and... I don't know man... You just sound like ... Eh. Whatever.
Actually I do and the irony of you saying that is killing me.

I never said the CGI is made before the script is written. You said that. I said the action is done before the script is written. Which is a fact of their production pipeline and very public knowledge.

That's also true. A few insiders have alluded to this time and time again but let me illuminate you because you seem to be out of your depth here. The shots, action, story beats, even the jokes, are all done before a director signs on. Even before a screenwriter signs on in some cases. It's not a secret basically every non James Gunn MCU movie is very, VERY synonymous. I mean Jesus just watching like any random 5 will confirm to any non fanboy that there is a clear path of sorts laid out to these directors by Feige.

And Jesus Christ you're really trying to dispute this one after the very public VFX controversy like 1 month ago lol. I don't even know what to say. This is also very public knowledge and not up for debate.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
I believe this (https://www.insider.com/marvel-plan...rs-before-filming-previs-visualization-2021-1) is what A arkhamguy123 is referring to. So on the one hand this IS "Marvel" the movie machine laying out the film, often before the director is hired. On the other hand, this is basically what the script is for in the first place, and if it saves money/ allows for more dev time for effects, it's hard to deny the results for the MCU compared to lots of films with far worse continuity, script issues or effects that this previs thing could have avoided.

Ulysses 31

I believe this (https://www.insider.com/marvel-plan...rs-before-filming-previs-visualization-2021-1) is what A arkhamguy123 is referring to. So on the one hand this IS "Marvel" the movie machine laying out the film, often before the director is hired. On the other hand, this is basically what the script is for in the first place, and if it saves money/ allows for more dev time for effects, it's hard to deny the results for the MCU compared to lots of films with far worse continuity, script issues or effects that this previs thing could have avoided.
Like Nerdrotic likes to joke about: "Marvel doesn't hire directors, they cast them". :messenger_winking_tongue:

At least one director didn't put up with it and turned down the job (Black Widow).

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
yeah, that came as a surprise to me and tbh, explains why all Marvel movies feel so samey. The action scenes are mocapped or animated literally in a lab years before the director even gets involved.

Real directors like the Wachowskis, Cameron and Snyder actually storyboard the whole thing before the start shooting. Id imagine they would riot if they found out half the scenes were already shot and animated before they got hired.

Wachwoskis and Snyder arent particularly good directors when it comes to storytelling, but their action scenes are far more memorable because they dont defer to CG nerds in a lab.

Top Bottom