• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers Endgame Trailer 2

manfestival

That would be great if it happens but that would require having some guts to make it happen. More than beating Thanos itself.

Also that (Capitain Marvel as villain) could work in the Civil War 2 if it ever exists in MCU:

Civil War 2 would not work as an arc in the MCU simply because of it's timeline. Everything surrounding CW2 is convoluted nonsense. I wouldn't mind seeing a god king Doom though.

PS. I hated battleworlds and everything after the destruction of the ultimate universe.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The flashbacks hit some nice emotional beats. I'm into it. Everyone looks great, except motherfucking Captain Marvel. Jesus Christ she looks like a sour shithead.

It's honestly going to look even worse when she is among much better female heroes who are far better actresses that have already been there for a while now.

looks cool but lol at hawkeyes lead singer of a 15 year old girls rock band haircut. also i cant say enough just how ugly i think brie larson is. i do hope this movie is good though just to end it on a good note ya know

fantomena

looks cool but lol at hawkeyes lead singer of a 15 year old girls rock band haircut. also i cant say enough just how ugly i think brie larson is. i do hope this movie is good though just to end it on a good note ya know

The main goal is to get the actors and actresses to potray the characters in the best possible way, not to find who is prettiest.

Thriller

I can't describe how much I'm looking forward to this movie. I'm the conductor of the hype train at the moment, it's gonna be swell, tears and all. I'll be in Taiwan on the release so I can't watch the premiere with my friends which is a first world problem but still shitty :D

I don't care that Captain Marvel is on a collision course with Thanos and that she might wreck his shit. I'm totally on board! In Russos I trust <3

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
This just in:

D3omEVt.jpg

Makariel

So will they find some (probably blue glowing) macguffin to undo everything of substance that happened previously?

Dthomp

man y’all hate women or some shit

Or it could simply be that CM is a bad character played by an even worse actress. Lets not pretend she has any range or emotion in any of her roles. It is possible that folks just don't like her, I don't for both of those reasons and her sexist comments. However I love Black Widow, Gamora, Nebula, Wonder Woman, and many many other female actresses and roles. You people need to stop throwing around that stupid narrative that if you don't like CM you are some sort of woman hating awful white male.

Kadayi

Banned
Cool. Can't wait. Probably good that they didn't show Thanos. A bit annoyed that they confirm that Ironman and Nebula get to earth though with the walking reveal as opposed to the previous trailer, but still not long to go.

gioGAF

I told myself I wouldn't watch any more Avengers-related promotions, I don't need to be more hyped, I am already sold. Unfortunately, my willpower failed and I watched this trailer. Excellent trailer, ¡CAN'T F'N WAIT!

fantomena

Or it could simply be that CM is a bad character played by an even worse actress. Lets not pretend she has any range or emotion in any of her roles. It is possible that folks just don't like her, I don't for both of those reasons and her sexist comments. However I love Black Widow, Gamora, Nebula, Wonder Woman, and many many other female actresses and roles. You people need to stop throwing around that stupid narrative that if you don't like CM you are some sort of woman hating awful white male.

The scene in the trailer shows Thor testing her, intimidating her. Thor likes strong fearless women as shown in Ragnarok, so she likes her as she doesn't even flinch when Stormbreaker comes.

And do you expect her to become friendly with the Avengers asap? It's shortly after the snap, half the universe has dies, she doesn't know them.

She could be very different in Endgame compared to her own movie due to different directors.

Last edited:

you can all but guarantee that if the stuff about her press tour never happened she would not be getting anywhere near the hate everyone is spewing.

I really hate this Marvel trailer formula where they add some shitty joke at the end.
Was especially annoying these past few months when Captain Marvel and Avengers trailers played together.

kunonabi

you can all but guarantee that if the stuff about her press tour never happened she would not be getting anywhere near the hate everyone is spewing.

True, but her performance would still have been poor. The whole thing is unfortunate because the director duo and her are a Ms. Marvel dream team based off their prior work but none of it translated to the film itself.

Dacon

Banned
Man, I can't say I even care about this anymore.

These films have gotten so stale. Kinda makes me sad cause I've always been a big comics fan since I was a kid, but these films just don't have the same magic.

Good trailer, flashbacks from other movies are a nice touch not often seen in trailers and this is like the best opportunity to do it. But I was waiting for some really exciting shot and it didn't come. I know they don't want to spoil the big action set pieces and it's a great decision, but they could have still put something to make our mouths water some more. I'm still very excited about this movie, though I have a feeling I won't be as interested in the movies that come after.

McCheese

My bet is Cap dying and Thanos still being alive at the end

Yup, no way they'll kill Thanos off. They'll likely just undo something in the past which neuters him, but leaves it open for him to become an anti-hero in the New Avengers or something. I mean, they can't kill him off when they haven't even revealed the thanos-coptor yet in the MCU.

LMJ

Funny you say that, because every trailer for CM was getting the same so called "hate"

AKA she seemed emotionless and dull (the most common complaint about her movie BTW, but like F fantomena said, She could end up being very different in this movie due to the Russos in charge:messenger_beaming:

oagboghi2

Why don't they like her?
Maybe it's because she is overpowered, boring as sin, and has no interesting traits or rogue gallery. That's why she isn't liked in the comics community, despite being around for decades. She was put on ice for over 20 years because no writer cared for her, and no fans wanted her back.

. Her source material is so boring they had to completely ignore it and focus on the kree/Skrull and give her a adapted version of a story Mar-Vell is famous for. Not Danvers.

Mind you, I haven't even got to Brie and her bullshit yet. Others have gone over the film's flaws multiple times. I won't repeat. Either way this idea that Captain Marvel is being unfairly treated is laughably. Her character sucks. Why is it a shock that people don't care for her? No one has to like her

Last edited:

Fnord

I feel like we gotta move on, man.

She said some stuff she believed in before CM released. You disagree with what she said. The world didn’t end, white men are still doing ok. The movie came out. The movie is what it is.

Let’s turn the page and close that chapter. It’s a dead horse at this point.

The only true REEEing is from people SO upset about what her comments. At the very least she seems pretty level headed while delivering her speech and expressing her beliefs, whether I disagree with them or not.

Agreed. Except that last part. Some on Twitter went nutso today over the fact that Danvers is - gasp! - wearing makeup in the new trailer.

sol_bad

She was childish and reckless throughout the entire plot, and her character arc (if we can even call it one) was weak. All she has is power that was given to her without any real work.

Thor got his power .... without any real work.
Hulk got his power ..... without any real work.
Captain America got his power ..... without any real work,
Spider-Man got his power ....... without any real work.
Fantastic Four got their powers ...... without any real work.
Marvel mutants got their power ..... without any real work.
Superman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman ...... without any real work.
Shazam got his powers ..... without any real work.
Starfire got her power ......... without any real work.

I'm sensing a pattern here.
hmmm

Fnord

And do you expect her to become friendly with the Avengers asap? It's shortly after the snap, half the universe has dies, she doesn't know them.

That was actually one of the issues I had with Captain Marvel - she and Fury got way too chummy way to quickly. But I trust the Russos.

Doom85

hmmm

This. I remember people also claiming she didn't make any mistakes or have to sacrifice anything. She flat out acknowledges a pretty major mistake she made in believing the wrong thing (trying to be vague for those who haven't seen it) plus giving up all those years she could have spent on Earth because others in the universe need her help.

Fnord

Why don't they like her?

Aside from, imho, a very bad performance (not "wooden" per se, but she frequently seemed like she was just reading her lines off a cue card, even at the end), her character had basically no arc. The "obstacles" she faced before being taken to space she overcame without much of a struggle (at least on-screen), she had no personal goal to strive for for most of the film, so there was no way to gain an emotional attachment to her, she faced very little on her way to achieve what goals she did have, and because of all of that, her "hero" moment fell quite flat.

Fnord

Had to overcome character flaws before realizing his full potential. Faced substantial loss on the way to that goal.

Got his power by selflessly protecting an innocent from certain death, and almost assured death himself. Lives with a huge burden that goes along with that power, physical, mental, and emotional.

Proved himself a hero before he even got powers.

Misused his power initially, resulting in tremendous loss caused directly by those actions. Faces daily struggles due to his powers and just being a poor kid.

Never been much of a F4 fan, but at least one can point to Ben Grimm making a pretty significant sacrifice in order to have his power.

Seriously? They're hated, reviled, feared, and probably the most oppressed group of hominids on the planet in the Marvel Universe.

And this is what has traditionally separated Marvel Comics from DC Comics ;) .

hmmm

What are Carol Danvers' sacrifices? What are the costs of her having her power? She doesn't even have any regrets (recent issue of the comic, "What would you tell your younger self?" "You were right."). She's a bad character.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member

hmmm

Captain America's "power" isn't the super soldier serum.
Thor is a thousand year old hero with a fleshed out backstory and responsibilities to his people (now a crushing grief).
Iron Man did work for it, and we see it.
Dr. Strange did work for it, and we see it.
Bruce Banner is constantly waging war with his alter ego internally and is hated by the world and in many cases his friends and loved ones, and hates himself for what he is.
Spider-Man bears the burden of Uncle Ben and Gwen.
Fantastic Four, X-Men, et al are outsiders and freaks to society.
Black Widow has no powers, but does have a tragic backstory she carries with her.

These characters have trials, faults, duties, sacrifices. We see them grow in their origin films, become heroes, not just gain powers.

Carol has no arc. She doesn't grow as a person, she doesn't sacrifice for others or the greater good, she has no baggage or guilt or failure to overcome, no meaningful flaws, no relevant antagonist (other than The Patriarchy? lol).

She stands in front of an explosion and then acts like a dick while everything goes her way.

kunonabi

The best angle they ever did with her was her post House of M run where she saw the hero she could be and has to reconcile that with all the missed opportunities and mistakes that defined her actual life while trying to move forward and become that hero for real.

Even her early Ms. Marvel days with the dual personalities and the existential crisis that came with it could have been tapped for something interesting.

The problem is Marvel doesnt want Carol to be an actual character anymore they want her to be a symbol and it's tanked her completely in the comics and so far the MCU version is content to just follow that template.

fantomena

she has no baggage or guilt or failure to overcome, no meaningful flaws, no relevant antagonist (other than The Patriarchy? lol).

She stands in front of an explosion and then acts like a dick while everything goes her way.

She fought for the Kree, she was brainwashed, her memories were fickled with, she killed the Skrulls that fled from the Kree. She was used by the Kree.

fantomena

She doesn't care.

You wrote that she doesn't have any baggage, no fault. You are wrong. She literally says that the Kree used her, so yes, she does care or else she would have continued fighting for the Kree and not helped the Skrulls.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Personally, I'm looking forward to Avengers: Leftovers myself

It's going to be awesome

Last edited:

sol_bad

Got his power by selflessly protecting an innocent from certain death, and almost assured death himself. Lives with a huge burden that goes along with that power, physical, mental, and emotional.

oh
So Carol didn't selflessly kill herself by blowing up the ship engine to protect the Earth?
Gotcha!

Iron Man did work for it, and we see it.

We are literally talking about how she got her power. But if you do want to talk about working for it.
Carol worked her arse off to be a part of the air force and then trained her arse off to be allowed to fly the jet for Lawson's experiment. This was in the 80's when sexism was much higher against women
Tony was the son of a multi billionaire, that legacy was given to him, he didn't work for it. If he wasn't given that legacy, he never would have been Iron Man.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
You wrote that she doesn't have any baggage, no fault. You are wrong. She literally says that the Kree used her, so yes, she does care or else she would have continued fighting for the Kree and not helped the Skrulls.

We don't see her give a shit at any point.

oh
So Carol didn't selflessly kill herself by blowing up the ship engine to protect the Earth?
Gotcha!

We are literally talking about how she got her power. But if you do want to talk about working for it.
Carol worked her arse off to be a part of the air force and then trained her arse off to be allowed to fly the jet for Lawson's experiment. This was in the 80's when sexism was much higher against women

We don't see her working her "arse" off. Open your eyes and compare CM to the other MCU origin films.

kunonabi

Problem is we dont really see her do anything awful in the name of the kree and her response to the brainwashing revelation is so incredibly muted. Even her leaving to help the skrulls isnt much of a sacrifice since it gives her the chance to take revenge on the kree and everyone on Earth was a raging asshole to her outside of the Rambeaus, Fury, and Coulson anyway.

Seriously just look at how they treat her compared to Bucky and its like night and day.

Last edited:

sol_bad

We don't see her working her "arse" off. Open your eyes and compare CM to the other MCU origin films.

We don't see it, but we know it happened.
It's a lose lose situation, if it was done as a typical origin story and saw her grow up and strive to be a pilot, everyone would have said it's a generic by the numbers origin story and you only see her powers for the last 20 minutes.

fantomena

Problem is we dont really see her do anything awful in the name of the kree and her response to the brainwashing revelation is so incredibly muted. Even her leaving to help the skrulls isnt much of a sacrifice since it gives her the chance to take revenge on the kree and everyone on Earth was a raging asshole to her outside of the Rambeaus, Fury, and Coulson anyway.

Seriously just look at how they treat her compared to Bucky and its like night and day.

This is something I agreed with more. I believe it is wrong that she doesn't have any baggage or any fault, because she does, but they should definetly have shown something of what the Kree did with the Skrulls. And I also agreed with that she doesn't sacrifice much with helping the Skrulls as part of that "path" is also her getting revenge on the Kree.

I trust the Russos will fix her arc. The yare really good at their take on the Marvel universe.

However, the Bucky thing is not something that we get to know before Cap's second movie, we will probably get to know more about the Kree and the Skrulls in Capt Marvel 2 since she does send Yon-Rogg alive to warn the Kree about her.

Last edited:

Da-Kid

Ok I'm entering the debate because it's coming very clear to me when there's a powerful woman, she's labeled a Mary Sue.

We don't see her give a shit at any point.

Stop. You're wrong and you know it.

You see throughout the whole film Carol doing her best to prove people wrong and getting better. In fact the movie shows for the most part how she kept failing, and failing, and failing. And even making mistakes. From different ages, in different things. You see that, clearly. She's a hard-working and determined individual.

Then at the end of the movie we see that despite her failing, falling, ect. She always got back up, and learned, and succeeded. You see that clearly as day.

"She doesn't care."

Yes she does, she had 6 years of her life taken, brainwashed with implanted memories to fit the narrative. She worked with Mar-vell before she knew she was a Kree to help save people, she earned her shot at being a test pilot and that's how she was in the crash in the first place. She worked for that position. What happened after that was an accident. And even then, she was trying to stop the Kree from getting the generator for the light speed device. So she's earned all her heroism, stripes, what have you far before she got her powers. So fuck off with this wilful ignorance.

A number of you guys do indeed come of as misogynistic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom