• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avengers Project confirmed for the Square Enix Live E3 2019 [worldwide reveal]

Lastyou1

Banned
Crystal Dynamics (the remnant of the old 3DO project) and there are people with high hopes about this project here?

Fun Fact- CD was *saved* cos Eidos, a British company, wouldn't pay the brit *inventors* and devs of Tomb Raider a decent budget, but the dribblers who ran Eidos were happy to hand over a *vastly* bigger budget to the yanks at CD to make the next one.

Today Square is just the latest incarnation of Eidos (which itself was but an incarnation of UK/US Gold).

CD is highly competent in a *very* workmanlike fashion - but brit coders run circles (very very *big* circles) around yank coders. Same with E/W european coders vs yank coders. Where do all the good game engines come from? If you are American, you may wish to not discover the answer.

America does fare better with console exclusive engine work tho, but that isn't the case with this Avengers game.

Anyway i'd expect great art and character design. Great cut-scenes. But gameplay- cough, cough, cough. Superheroes shoehorned into the mediocre Tomb raider engine, shudder.

Don't get me wrong, the limited skills of CD suit TR fine. A simple single character plodding thru basic unchallenging data sets - all style, little substance. Like those sh-tty titles so beloved from naughty dog. And I like the new Tomb raider games for what they are.

But now look at Rocksteady or the peeps behind the just-good-enough new spidey game. They put the agency of the superhero *first* and find a way to bring the agency to life in an engine designed around said hero's skill sets. Can anyone here see Crystal Dynamics doing this? God how I wish- but no.

Still it is going to be fun finding out. I love it when any dev ups their game, or a new dev comes along and trumps the current players. Advancing the state-of-the-art in game design. Rather than taking the same aging engine, and giving it a new lick of paint (more triangles, a better lighting system).

The way you speak, I assume you just hate superheroes in general.

No, Spider-Man PS4 was not just-good-enough game. It was actually just a step below masterpiece.

And no, Naughty Dog's games and the latest TR aren't mediocre, they range all from good to great, with a few masterpiece here and there (cough cough... THE LAST OF US, Uncharted 4).

Now that I think about it, I am actually more excited about this game than before thanks to your post.

I loved Deus Ex HR and MD, I liked all the three new TR games, I love Marvel and I am excited about the "original story", the gameplay and the single player experience.

Last edited:

Orenji Neko

Crystal Dynamics (the remnant of the old 3DO project) and there are people with high hopes about this project here?

Fun Fact- CD was *saved* cos Eidos, a British company, wouldn't pay the brit *inventors* and devs of Tomb Raider a decent budget, but the dribblers who ran Eidos were happy to hand over a *vastly* bigger budget to the yanks at CD to make the next one.

Today Square is just the latest incarnation of Eidos (which itself was but an incarnation of UK/US Gold).

CD is highly competent in a *very* workmanlike fashion - but brit coders run circles (very very *big* circles) around yank coders. Same with E/W european coders vs yank coders. Where do all the good game engines come from? If you are American, you may wish to not discover the answer.

America does fare better with console exclusive engine work tho, but that isn't the case with this Avengers game.

Anyway i'd expect great art and character design. Great cut-scenes. But gameplay- cough, cough, cough. Superheroes shoehorned into the mediocre Tomb raider engine, shudder.

Don't get me wrong, the limited skills of CD suit TR fine. A simple single character plodding thru basic unchallenging data sets - all style, little substance. Like those sh-tty titles so beloved from naughty dog. And I like the new Tomb raider games for what they are.

But now look at Rocksteady or the peeps behind the just-good-enough new spidey game. They put the agency of the superhero *first* and find a way to bring the agency to life in an engine designed around said hero's skill sets. Can anyone here see Crystal Dynamics doing this? God how I wish- but no.

Still it is going to be fun finding out. I love it when any dev ups their game, or a new dev comes along and trumps the current players. Advancing the state-of-the-art in game design. Rather than taking the same aging engine, and giving it a new lick of paint (more triangles, a better lighting system).

Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal work on the project.
The creators of Tomb Raider and DeusEx.

And it should be an action adventure.
(very similar to the Uncharted games, according to rumors)
Not the original developers. That would be Core Design and Ion Storm, respectively.

D.Final

Banned
For me it will be an openworld game, but with a very linear story like Red Dead Redemption 2.
And taking the character change feature, as in GTA V, but also in teams of 4, in single player.

giphy.gif

Deus Ex died for this and is the reason we got a shitty abrupt ending for Mankind Divided :(

D.Final

Banned
giphy.gif

Deus Ex died for this and is the reason we got a shitty abrupt ending for Mankind Divided :(

In reality it is not so.
Because, at least according to Eidos' latest statements, the DeusEx saga will continue in the future.

(post an extract from an interview regarding DeusEx)

David Anfossi, when they were likely to announce a new game:

‘Deus Ex is here’, said Anfossi.
"We did not forget Deus Ex, we built the studio with this franchise. We gave out blood, sweat, everything to reboot this franchise and be true to it, so it's not dead. It’s not dead. "

‘It’s here’, he says again, thumping his chest. "And we just need to think about the future of it and make it correctly and respectfully."

(interview of February 2018)

I suppose the work for the new DeusEx (sequel to Mankind Divided) has already begun.
But that will see the light, probably, only after Marvel Avengers.
(and therefore DeusEx 3 could be, quietly, the first nextgen game of Eidos for PS5 and Xbox "three")

Last edited:

D.Final

Banned
The preparation of the E3 for the Avengers begins in a big way.
(confirmed that it will be a game for PS4, Xbox One, PC and Stadia)

Square Enix has posted a photo of the advertisement for its Marvel’s Avengers game outside the Los Angeles Convention Center for E3 2019, which confirms that the game will be released for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, PC, and Stadia.

Marvel’s Avengers is developed by Crystal Dynamics and Eidos Montreal, and will be fully revealed during the Square Enix Live E3 2019.

Hype

Last edited:

Riven326

Banned
Can this please be a RPG? There are so many great characters. It better not be a shooter. Watch it be another fucking Lego game. Oh, ffs.

sublimit

Banned
The best thing about this game is that it keeps Crystal Dynamics away from Tomb Raider.
Not that Eidos Montreal is any better.

sol_bad

CGI trailers seem to be trendy this year at E3 for some fucking reason. If the trailer for this game is CGI at the conference, this year's E3 really is a bon fire, a real fucking shit show.

Square Enix are our only hope, please don't let us down. As awesome as the Keanu Reeves surprise was (I screamed out loud), a Hollywood actor reveal should not be the highlight of a video game expo.

CGI trailers seem to be trendy this year at E3 for some fucking reason. If the trailer for this game is CGI at the conference, this year's E3 really is a bon fire, a real fucking shit show.

Square Enix are our only hope, please don't let us down. As awesome as the Keanu Reeves surprise was (I screamed out loud), a Hollywood actor reveal should not be the highlight of a video game expo.
To be fair, we get CGI trailers every year at E3.

Top Bottom