• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Average, "B-Tier" games with disproportionately epic soundtracks.

nkarafo

This game:

4ac213c20b04fdd0fca0fea858eb5582.jpg

Has a way too good soundtrack made for it.

This is the sequel to Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon. The original was a pretty big game for the N64 and there was some marketing push for it. It also had a great soundtrack as well.

But the sequel was mostly a lower budget "2.5D" B-Tier platformer that wasn't as big of a release. It's an OK-ish game at best. But the soundtrack.... Its probably the biggest sized soundtrack for the N64 with tons of themes and variations (There is a playlist with 175 music themes on Youtube) and almost all stage themes are awesome.

I can't even post some of my favorites because that would be me posting 20-30 videos.

But here is the playlist for anyone interested exploring this rabbit hole (with a nice song to start):

Dunno, i always find it weird how much work mush have been put in this OST, for such a "meh" game.

Edit: When i say "B-tier" i mean lower budgeted games, with low ambition, low hype and small/none marketing push. Not necessarily mediocre games.

Last edited:

cireza

Banned
39347--cosmic-carnage.png

I actually love Cosmic Carnage, but most people consider it bad or average.

Soundtrack is 100% MegaDrive, the game does not use the 32X.
OST LINK

Last edited:
Your "epic soundtracks" in the title had me thinking of something else.

I enjoyed the sample you embedded, will have a listen to more tracks slowly. Also I find it funny that you somehow neglected to mention that the vocal theme is sung by Hironobu Kageyama of JAM Project fame; I imagine it might perk up the ears of those who are fans of his.

Ryu Kaiba

Final Fantasy XIII

Mirror's Edge Catalyst

EDIT: Just to be clear I personally love these games, just thought they were generally considered by most to be B tier in terms of Metacritic/quallity or whatever. But it turns out that's not what OP was trying to find anyway.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
This game:

4ac213c20b04fdd0fca0fea858eb5582.jpg
Dude what, that games was amazing! Open ended 2.5D stages with multiple ways and exists, lots of enemies, bosses, cool music, secondary missions and even mecha fights becuse why not. And co-op!

Maybe is my nostalgia firing up, but back then I thought it was a good game, nothing sort of average.

Anyway, thanks for the nostalgia trip. :lollipop_content:

Ryu Kaiba

I don't think TLOU2, FFXIII, Detroit, or even Mirror's Edge are considered "b-tier" low end productions.

Thread is about small/insignificant games having a "high effort" soundtrack.
I thought it meant B-tier as in like rating or in reception not in Budget.

nkarafo

Dude what, that games was amazing! Open ended 2.5D stages with multiple ways and exists, lots of enemies, bosses, cool music, secondary missions and even mecha fights becuse why not. And co-op!

Maybe is my nostalgia firing up, but back then I thought it was a good game, nothing sort of average.

Anyway, thanks for the nostalgia trip. :lollipop_content:
I like the game too and have nostalgia for it but let's face it. It's pretty basic. The stages were mostly "go on one direction and hit whatever appears in front of you". There wasn't much of exploration, except one additional path in some stages. Most of them were just a straight line though. The towns were the only truly great thing about this game IMO (and the OST obviously).

I don't think i would play this though if it wasn't for the music grabbing me and not letting me go.

It was a much less ambitious game than the original.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I like the game too and have nostalgia for it but let's face it. It's pretty basic. The stages were mostly "go on one direction and hit whatever appears in front of you". There wasn't much of exploration, except one additional path in some stages. Most of them were just a straight line though. The towns were the only truly great thing about this game IMO (and the OST obviously).

I don't think i would play this though if it wasn't for the music grabbing me and not letting me go.

It was a much less ambitious game than the original.
I never had the chance to play the original, which maybe I should do, but I sure won't mind replaying the sequel some day.

Although nostalgia is a bitch sometimes, so I'm not sure if it's a good idea. :goog_relieved:

OrionNebula

This might help some of you :

B Tier is a tier in the game's meta. These builds are above average but not amazing. B tier is made up of builds that aren't extremely powerful or efficient, but are still better than most. Still viable, but far from outstanding. Expect most builds you see to be hovering around this range.

isoRhythm

Banned
I love the game but I doubt the avg gamer would find it enjoyable. Most of the soundtrack is good, especially the Soviet bits.

Last edited:

manfestival

Weird deep cut here but the sound track for Lair on PS3 is epic and way better than it has any right to be for a game that turned out to be a bit of a disaster (i still love you Lair)

This was the first thing that came to mind for me. Granted the game ended up being D tier despite the production being A tier

Top Bottom