• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avowed reveal trailer (Obsidian first person RPG)

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Info on Avowed

As I previously mentioned before the announcement, Obsidian is working on Pillars (I assumed this regarding the info) game as back then I did get confirmation that game contains “spore-like” creatures with few other vague descriptions of The Living Lands.

So, I did get new informations about Avowed:

- fully open world, much much larger than Skyrim (very differently “larger”, more proper word would be “denser” and “more contrasted” at the same time)
- primarily set in the The Living Lands region of Eora (not sure if it’ll go like that as explicit later on, but that was starting point)
- big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems - have no clue what would that mean)
- realtime whether system (don’t have full details but fog is very important as realtime element, rivers will have specific micro physics systems regarding this)
- very advanced character creation tool (didn’t get more info)
- mod support (for now PC is/will be very dominant as creation tool, but I’ll be playable fully on Xbox)
- very large number of fractions but very different approach than with Skyrim
- you’ll be able to have companions (different than Outer Worlds)
- storyset: fight against incoming threat of tyranny (independent from previous stories)
- game has bosses planned and some of them are very very large
- Gods will have special say in the game
- great focus on iconic landmarks, statues and buildings
- two large cities planned with many smaller ones with strong focus on contrasting wild-areas, rivers, mountains and desolated areas (yes, you’ll be able to swim)
- fully respecting POE creatures lore with new additions
- dynamic presentation of dialogue
- for now idea is to keep “you can kill everyone in the game” option
- around 100 people are on the project for 2y (smaller number for 7m of preproduction), in total 2y 7m
- full production is already a thing
- team will still grow
- target date: late 2022/early 2023

Keep in mind that some parts of this can change during the development process.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

EkiKtkrX0AIh_Zp

100 developers making a next gen RPG has me a little concerned. Rooting for the game though.
lol they clearly don’t mean that’s all the people that are going to be working on it. It’s common for most devs to break up a smaller team to start their next project until they’re done with whatever they’re working on before everyone goes full hands on deck on that next project.

Kev Kev

This game is so far away that it’s hardly on my radar. But I’m still very excited for it. I hope it gives bethesda a run for their money so they stop thinking they can get away with releasing buggy and unfinished games.

All_Might

100 developers making a next gen RPG has me a little concerned. Rooting for the game though.
Preproduction usually has smaller teams. Until full production is starting, then more members of the team will be joining the project. That way one studio can work on multiple projects at once. I like what I read, this got me genuinely excited for the game.

Last edited:
You specifically called out Microsoft as if they did something wrong or out of the ordinary. While it actually is very very ordinary for all players to do this.
this console warrior thing is seriously pathetic, you realize that?

Advertising non-existing products has always been bad style. It´s a fall back if you have literally nothing "real" to show (yet).....
Like Nintendo`s "metroid 4" teaser, Square`s "Project whatever" or Bethesda`s "Starlink" and "ESVI" showings to name a few recent ones. Whenever a producer does this shit you know that someone fucked up their production timelines.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

Advertising non-existing products has always been bad style. It´s a fall back if you have literally nothing "real" to show (yet).....
Like Nintendo`s "metroid 4" teaser, Square`s "Project whatever" or Bethesda`s "Starlink" and "ESVI" showings to name a few recent ones. Whenever a producer does this shit you know that someone fucked up their production timelines.
What console warrior shit? 😂 you're the one specifically calling out Microsoft...

Concern

🤫🤫🤫

Concern

Oh right, I should`ve been calling out Mahadma Gandhi instead of the ones who had this in their presentations and now even own the studio......:messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_smiling::messenger_grinning_smiling:
The usual pathetic "my toy box is the best" defence force is assembled, I see.

more whataboutism?
It sucks, whoever does it.....

Pretty obvious it pains you to call out Sony for the very same thing. Got pressed a little and you mentioned Nintendo, thats it. Your agenda is clear, take your trolling to a Sony thread.

... oh and WILD also says hello 👋

Pretty obvious it pains you to call out Sony for the very same thing. Got pressed a little and you mentioned Nintendo, thats it. Your agenda is clear, take your trolling to a Sony thread.

... oh and WILD also says hello 👋
Your whataboutism is seriously pathetic......
u9g3k.jpg

Last edited:

Aidah

I really like the atmosphere. Hopefully the actual gameplay maintains a lot of what's contributing to its look here.

Last edited:
Are you new to videogames?

Because taking exception with MS for a practice so common makes you look a little bit weird.
It´s absolutely phony marketing...... but if it has an MS, Sony or Nintendo logo some idiots will come to defend it as if it was about their personal family.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
It´s absolutely phony marketing...... but if it has an MS, Sony or Nintendo logo some idiots will come to defend it as if it was about their personal family.

Nobody is defending it, it's just how the industry works. I would love to have games in 2 weeks instead of 2 years, but that's not how real life works.

Making a videogame it's a huge task that takes years and there are millions at the stake. Of course you want to announce your game in advance to create hype and IP recognition.

Acting like that is some kind of sin it's just a juvenile stance.

Go troll somewhere else and quit derailing this thread.
you guys pumped this up by getting overly defensive over nothing really, not me.....
Go cry in a corner somewhere if you can`t take anything outside of your usual echo-chamber.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
What little we've seen looks really beautiful and since I loved PoE, I'm glad this is in the same universe..

I'm also glad Xbox now has so many great WRPG devs. It's certainly the console to go to if you are into that genre. For me, it's my favorite genre.

Teslerum

Apparently, Obsidian has 4 games in development.

Avowed
The Outer World's DLC
Grounded
A Josh Sawyer led 4th project

As of last year, Obsidian had 200 employees according to Google.

Don't forget Outer Worlds 2 pre-production and whatever Brandon Adler's directing (Might be the second OW DLC I dunno)

That said all those other projects probably don't even break 50 people combined. DLC is probably around 10 people, Grounded is less than 20, Josh Sawyer is less than 10 and pre-production teams are even smaller.

Andodalf

Banned
Don't forget Outer Worlds 2 pre-production and whatever Brandon Adler's directing (Might be the second OW DLC I dunno)

That said all those other projects probably don't even break 50 people combined. DLC is probably around 10 people, Grounded is less than 20, Josh Sawyer is less than 10 and pre-production teams are even smaller.

OW 2 probably has the DLC crew and Avowed guys working on pre pro. It probably won’t enter full production for a while

Redlancet

Banned

thats why i found funny people expectations with games like this one,they are expecting triple AAA skyrim killer,and obsidIn its more a modest developer with good games

Top Bottom