• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome Games Done Quick 2019

Helios

Games_Done_Quick_logo_2018.png
What is Games Done Quick?
Games Done Quick is a series of charity video game marathons. These events feature high-level gameplay by speedrunners raising money for charity. Games Done Quick has teamed up with several charities in its seven-year history, including Doctors Without Borders and the Prevent Cancer Foundation. We are currently the largest fundraising event globally for both charities!

To date, Games Done Quick has raised over 16.5 million dollars for charity. We also average over 2000 people in attendance at our events, including staff, volunteers, runners, and attendees just looking to have fun and support the event!
AGDQ2019 Event Info
  • Event Dates
    January 6-13th, 2019
  • Charity
    Prevent Cancer Foundation
Schedule
The stream will begin January 6th at 11:30AM Eastern Time

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
OwO I KNOW I REALLY LIKE THESE STREAMS.
I mean, I still laugh at how cringey they can be, and the sub-only chat and bans on every way to express "cringe" is dumb, but golly gee do I have myself one heck of a time watching the speedruns. And there's so many sub gifts being given away in chat that it's not hard for anyone to participate in chat for free.
Five more hours!

Grinchy

Banned
These have gotten so boring but maybe there are some specific speedruns that'll be interesting.

Helios

It has begun. Currently it's the pre-show.
NEXT: Hollow Knight - True Ending No Major Glitches
LATER: Kirby & The Amazing Mirror - any%

These have gotten so boring but maybe there are some specific speedruns that'll be interesting.
I started leaning more towards ESA. Much more laid back, but I still have some runners that I'm looking forward to like Big Jon and CovertMuffin.

Mojoraisin

Great, thanks for the heads up. For some weird reason I enjoy watching these really skilled players kick ass. Not much for "let's play"-content otherwise. Most of the games I never played but when I see a game I've battled with myself it makes me extra happy.

Last edited:

Shouta

Oh yeah, it's already that time of year. I should check to see if there are any interesting runs I want to catch.

Vlaphor

It took me so many tries to get through the White Palace and he just strolls through it in a few minutes.

This is why I love watching speedruns.

silentstorm

Have seen a few runs, and like always, i keep being more fascinated, with the exception of Castlevania and Mega Man games, by the less known or indie games being shown.

I guess i just appreciate having something other than Super Metroid, Mario 64 or one of the Zelda 64 games appear.

Also, i just love watching a run of a game i have played and seeing someone do stuff i didn't know was possible and being far better than me.

Seriously, saw the CometStriker run and the runner played so much better on Hard than i ever did playing on Normal, it was quite amazing.

From what I've seen, I'm really liking it so far. Lot's of good and funny commentary. Also, is that guy playing Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze blindfolded?

Rotti

From what I've seen, I'm really liking it so far. Lot's of good and funny commentary. Also, is that guy playing Donkey Kong: Tropical Freeze blindfolded?

I thought the same, but it would be very hard, Tropical freeze is a game that has a lot of cicles, so you could go blindfolded and dont have too much problems (if you know the game of course), but if you fail, the cicle is different, and the bosses could be difficult too.

Last edited:

Helios

Hah, apparently I wasn't the only one fooled by his sunglasses. The guy on the left is also impressive. Providing commentary on all the other runners while also playing himself. Edit: He actually fell behind by a lot so he's not letting the guy on the couch commentate.

Last edited:

Rotti

What an amazing run, excellent game coming up too. Crash and Octo expansion, and Resident evil too.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
MGS2 run was good if anyone missed it. Saw some new tech I never seen before and I've been watching MGS2 speedruns online for 13 years.

hecatomb

Banned
ADGQ might die in a few years, since they aren't paying speed runners money for anything, they have to buy their own plane tickets and everything, which out the speed runners, they wouldn't have a event at all. Also they have been turned into a SJW circle jerk, and ban anyone that offends them.

Last edited:

silentstorm

ADGQ might die in a few years, since they aren't paying speed runners money for anything, they have to buy their own plane tickets and everything, which out the speed runners, they wouldn't have a event at all. Also they have been turned into a SJW circle jerk, and ban anyone that offends them.
But runners have swore and haven't been banned, like with the Jak 3 run, which went in a way that the runner had to say he hadn't been banned.

I think i heard someone in a speedrunning podcast say that aside from Bonesaw which seems like someone just didn't like him, the rules of GDQ are far less strict than most people think, they can swear once or twice, they just don't want them to swear left and right, and of course not saying anything insulting to a demographic or related to politics, but that's because they are a charity.

Worse, they are apparently the kind of charity that legally can't have any political statements or they have to pay a tax, add to that the fact they want to be inclusive towards everyone and you have them just wanting a family stream that can have a few swears that's it.

As long as no one breaks any laws, mentions anything related to the left or right in big detail(aka, more than a really quick comment or phrase) then they don't ban anyone....except for Bonesaw.

In fact, i believe a lot of runners that were banned accept their bans, like, for example, Werster has said he completely understands his ban to a point where he doesn't even seem to be bothered by it.

I mean, the latest ban was Grav and RWhiteGoose, and that was because they made a lot of posts in a public Discord server that would make a lot of people uncomfortable with their appearance there, so of course GDQ banned them.

I also think it's important to mention this, GDQ IS A CHARITY EVENT, sure, they have games and speedruns in it, but they are focusing on charity rather than the games themselves, while they care about gaming, i think they feel like raising money for charity is far more important than showing some people playing a game fast, and if they feel like those people have broken the rules, some laws or have said some really awful stuff a lot of people don't like, they will ban them just to not get in legal trouble or raise less money.

...Or Bonesaw which i think was mostly motivated by someone not liking him all that much and even he seems to agree with their decision without any issue.

As for bans...well, they do have rules and seem to think about them from basis to basis, at least in 2017, they used to consider disruptive situations(speedrunners who did something troublesome for them or that viewers did not like) by talking with each other and asking these questions:
1. Was the person aware of the situation?
2. Did it appear malicious?
3. How often did it occur?
4. Does it also violate other rules, such as charity or hotel rules?
5. How serious is the situation? Things like property damage or physical violence are likely to result in immediate banishment, for instance.​
They have said they are not perfect as well, though, and hope to improve.

hecatomb

Banned
Despite being engaged with politely and sensibly, I chose to throw insults round and lazy rhetoric. While the tangential discussion is fine, I lack the maturity to participate and have been removed.
But runners have swore and haven't been banned, like with the Jak 3 run, which went in a way that the runner had to say he hadn't been banned.

I think i heard someone in a speedrunning podcast say that aside from Bonesaw which seems like someone just didn't like him, the rules of GDQ are far less strict than most people think, they can swear once or twice, they just don't want them to swear left and right, and of course not saying anything insulting to a demographic or related to politics, but that's because they are a charity.

Worse, they are apparently the kind of charity that legally can't have any political statements or they have to pay a tax, add to that the fact they want to be inclusive towards everyone and you have them just wanting a family stream that can have a few swears that's it.

As long as no one breaks any laws, mentions anything related to the left or right in big detail(aka, more than a really quick comment or phrase) then they don't ban anyone....except for Bonesaw.

In fact, i believe a lot of runners that were banned accept their bans, like, for example, Werster has said he completely understands his ban to a point where he doesn't even seem to be bothered by it.

I mean, the latest ban was Grav and RWhiteGoose, and that was because they made a lot of posts in a public Discord server that would make a lot of people uncomfortable with their appearance there, so of course GDQ banned them.

I also think it's important to mention this, GDQ IS A CHARITY EVENT, sure, they have games and speedruns in it, but they are focusing on charity rather than the games themselves, while they care about gaming, i think they feel like raising money for charity is far more important than showing some people playing a game fast, and if they feel like those people have broken the rules, some laws or have said some really awful stuff a lot of people don't like, they will ban them just to not get in legal trouble or raise less money.

...Or Bonesaw which i think was mostly motivated by someone not liking him all that much and even he seems to agree with their decision without any issue.

As for bans...well, they do have rules and seem to think about them from basis to basis, at least in 2017, they used to consider disruptive situations(speedrunners who did something troublesome for them or that viewers did not like) by talking with each other and asking these questions:
1. Was the person aware of the situation?​
2. Did it appear malicious?​
3. How often did it occur?​
4. Does it also violate other rules, such as charity or hotel rules?​
5. How serious is the situation? Things like property damage or physical violence are likely to result in immediate banishment, for instance.​
They have said they are not perfect as well, though, and hope to improve.
pretty sure when they had a Trans person on, they had to put the chat in sub only mode also, thanks to the SJWs bitching about it. It also doesn't change the fact they are lucky runners show up, cause the speed runners have to pay just to go there, and pay for a hotel. Without the runners there would be no ADGQ

Last edited:

Rotti

pretty sure when they had a Trans on they had to put the chat in sub only mode also, thanks to the SJWs bitching about it. It also doesn't change the fact they don't give the runners comp for anything.

Because like silentstorm silentstorm just said, its a charity, the runners that participate want to go, no one force them to go. They want to be there, they know that they will not get compensation for anything and are ok with that, and you forget that this gives a nice promotion for the runners, so they benefit indirectly from the event.

hecatomb

Banned
Because like silentstorm silentstorm just said, its a charity, the runners that participate want to go, no one force them to go. They want to be there, they know that they will not get compensation for anything and are ok with that, and you forget that this gives a nice promotion for the runners, so they benefit indirectly from the event.
Yes but some runners stoped going, cause they don't feel like paying for everything. Also Like I SAID, IF THERES NO RUNNERS THERES NO ADGQ

Rotti

Yes but some runners stoped going, cause they don't feel like paying for everything. Also Like I SAID, IF THERES NO RUNNERS THERES NO ADGQ

There will always be runners. With every new game released, new runners show up, obviously some may not return, but new ones will always appear.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Lol wow. 30-something posts in a thread about one of the bigger gaming events of the year, and you guys have already managed to turn it into some SJW thing. Pathetic.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
All you guys had to do was ignore him and he never would have had a reason to come back to this thread.

hecatomb

Banned
Lol wow. 30-something posts in a thread about one of the bigger gaming events of the year, and you guys have already managed to turn it into some SJW thing. Pathetic.
could say the something about some people here bitching about last of us 2

MMaRsu

Banned
that doesn't change the fact if runners didn't show up there would be no AGDQ. Man you are dense. have fun being on my ignore list. You are like the idiots on youtube who argue about anything.

Wow you are so aggressive. Dude made a great post as to what the rules are and why they ban certain runners.

You are creating a hypothetical situation in your head ( BUT WHAT IF THERE WERE NO RUNNERS THEYD BE GONE!111 ) but the reality is, like the poster you insulted of being dense, is that there will always be runners for charity.

And stop complaining about 'DEM SJWS RUINING EVERYTHING!'. Its pathetic.

Not to mention you are shitting up the thread, people were discussing awesome runs till you came in with this bullshit.

Last edited:

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Thanks mods :) Nice TP run going on, maybe it’s because I’m familiar with them and the games and tricks are so similar but I swear I love any 3D Zelda run.

silentstorm

Honestly, is it bad that i have gotten tired of the Big 3(Mario 64, Ocarina Of Time, Super Metroid) years ago?

I never even thought they were the most fun to watch to begin with, even if they have some cool tricks, but after once or twice it's just...meh.

I am genuinely sad that GDQ 2019 will end with Super Metroid, i get that it's popular and it's an unique category, but still would rather see some other game.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Honestly, is it bad that i have gotten tired of the Big 3(Mario 64, Ocarina Of Time, Super Metroid) years ago?

I never even thought they were the most fun to watch to begin with, even if they have some cool tricks, but after once or twice it's just...meh.

I am genuinely sad that GDQ 2019 will end with Super Metroid, i get that it's popular and it's an unique category, but still would rather see some other game.
I think it's because Super Metroid is one of the OG speedrunning games. I hear ya, though. If you like speedrunning for the handful of particular games that the community loves then the event is tailored toward you.

If you want to see a broad range of games with previously-unseen speedruns, I don't think this is the venue. They tend to stick to "safe" stuff to pull in the charity $$.

Helios

You might enjoy ESA more. It doesn't quite reach the production values of GDQ but it's more laid-back and they usually have two streams up. The second stream in particular has a lot of weird games being run.

silentstorm

I think it's because Super Metroid is one of the OG speedrunning games. I hear ya, though. If you like speedrunning for the handful of particular games that the community loves then the event is tailored toward you.

If you want to see a broad range of games with previously-unseen speedruns, I don't think this is the venue. They tend to stick to "safe" stuff to pull in the charity $$.
You still get games like Spike Hike, Fe, Cometstriker, Semblance, Cat Bird and such appearing, but yeah, GDQ seems to be retro focused, and focusing more on Nintendo for that matter.

I get that retro games are more commonly speedran, or have had longer communities, and Super Metroid, OOT and Mario 64 are really big speedgames but...i honestly don't find them that fun to watch and i think they are there because of the people who can understand everything from the start, have nostalgia for them or just because they want to see some big names.
You might enjoy ESA more. It doesn't quite reach the production values of GDQ but it's more laid-back and they usually have two streams up. The second stream in particular has a lot of weird games being run.
ESA is pretty cool too, and you really do see a lot of stuff, probably helps that they aren't as Nintendo focused for some reason, maybe because it's European and many of it's runners are European?

I mean, as far as i can understand, Nintendo was never as big in Europe as it is in the rest of the world, with Europe being more focused on Sega, PC Gaming and Playstation, which may help explain the difference in games that typically appear.

On a random note, i just thought this, but despite it being an European event...i don't think i ever saw a speedrun of a ZX Spectrum or Commodore 64 game, not even from British speedrunners, is there a reason for that?

Top Bottom