• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Awesome optical illusion

protonion

Saw this on my Facebook. There is no shortage of them on the internet but this one floored me.

cLvICwr.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Try focusing on the two on left and slowly work your way to the rest.
Hmmmm..... Out of all of them the top left rectangular one looks the most like an upsidedown one, though it's kind of 50/50 depending how you look at it.

The rest seemed to be right side up.

Although I can now see the upsidedown way. If I do that weird thing where you kind of unfocus your eyes and squint, I can see them as upsidedown.

Last edited:

Amey

L5j3DPn.jpg

I think it's supposed to be shown like this. Same images side by side rotated 180°.

Last edited:
This is nonsense. They're all correct-side-up.
Negative. That's a negative. This is amazing and I can actually now switch between them being either or. It's shadow play. Very strangely satisfying.

Focus more on the light, it's upside down. Focus more on the shadow, it's the right side up.

Last edited:

V2Tommy

Upside down, or inside out? What are people trying to see? The shadows clearly show the plate dividers indenting, as they do.

Shifty

Tha's fucked up man.

They switched as I was reading the lower lines of text and now I can't un-see it.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I can't seem to get them to look upside-down, they all look right-side up, whether I focus on the lit or shaded areas. Which plate's supposed to stand out?

The center of each block should be the same color. I believe you can even throw it into a picture editor to verify that the colors have the same RGB hex code.
You're right, they are! 123, 124, 127. But for some reason the bottom one looks brighter to me, even after covering the seam. I think it's because of the additional shading on the top half. I've been double-illusioned!

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
All i see are to-be-filled buckets for GAF's cum closet.

I know Cunth Cunth stores them in a shed near his home. That shed also includes a Minecraft walkthrough guide in case Doomsday will ever happen.

Kamina

Golden Boy
The center of each block should be the same color. I believe you can even throw it into a picture editor to verify that the colors have the same RGB hex code.
Yeah , the shadows on the sides of the top thing caused another illusion. It wasnt enough to just cover the middle.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
38_troxler_main.png

Here's another fun one: do you best to focus only on the X (as if you were staring at a Magic Eye puzzle). If you can relax your eyes, you'll notice the Cheshire Cat's eyes, nose, and facial features disappear from your peripheral vision.

Another example (this time with motion):

Lilac-Chaser.gif

Does the dot turn sea-green or blue-green when you stare intently at the center?

Kamina

Golden Boy
38_troxler_main.png

Here's another fun one: do you best to focus only on the X (as if you were staring at a Magic Eye puzzle). If you can relax your eyes, you'll notice the Cheshire Cat's eyes, nose, and facial features disappear from your peripheral vision.

Another example (this time with motion):

Lilac-Chaser.gif

Does the dot turn sea-green or blue-green when you stare intently at the center?
I can google sea-green and think that might be what I saw, but i cant find anything on blue-green.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I can google sea-green and think that might be what I saw, but i cant find anything on blue-green.
You can increase the blue hue of the imaginary dot by adding more red to the purple dots, creating blue-green. Decreasing the red to make the purple more purple-blue will make the imaginary dot yellow-green. If the spots are completely blue and have no red tone, the complimentary blue tone would vanish and you would actually be seeing an (imaginary) solid yellow spot.

Explained here.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned

this one's great. just playing w image burn in on your eyes. stare at this then look away, you will think you're tripping for a few seconds

Top Bottom