• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge coming to Wii U on september 1st

I’ve been waiting a long time to be able to say this: Axiom Verge will be coming to Wii U on September 1 in both the NOA and NOE regions!

When I first announced Axiom Verge about 4 years ago, there was tremendous excitement from Nintendo fans who had been waiting for years for a true 2D Metroid-style action/adventure/exploration game. Because of some technical issues, however, I wasn’t able to launch it on a Nintendo platform straight away. Some people were understandably upset:

The Nintendo games of my childhood are what inspired me to make Axiom Verge. Metroid is probably one of the more obvious influences, but it’s actually a lot more than that. Axiom Verge actually started out as an exercise in game design. I wanted to deconstruct my favorite games from my youth and see what would happen if I took the best elements of each and put them together. The Bionic Commando’s grapple hook and Rygar’s Yo-Yo in the setting of Blaster Master and Shatterhand. I wanted to see what would fit together – and just as importantly what wouldn’t work.

f1Lq2bq.jpg

(...), Axiom Verge truly belongs on a Nintendo platform. It was only because of Blitworks’ amazing technical skill that we were able to make that happen, and I’m grateful for their work on the pixel-perfect port. Even though the game’s been out for a little while on other systems, the Wii U version is probably the best one. It’s the only console version to support leaderboards for the dedicated Speedrun Mode. And the Wii U GamePad will allow people to have the world map viewable at all times without pausing the game – or to play Off-TV.

It’s been too long in coming, but Axiom Verge is finally home.

Might get it again on Wii U just to support the dev.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Federation Force cant catch a break.

Looking forward to Axiom Verge but ill need to play it on a handheld.

DedValve

Banned
Been playing Super Metroid for the first time ever a few days ago and having a blast. No thats not a pun.

Might pick this up on WiiU assuming resolution isn't any different from other versions.

An ok Metroid-like. The exploring is occasionally a treat, but there's no sense of cadence like the best in the genre. Coming off of SM, that game made every little nook and cranny count, whereas AV had a lot of wasted space.

I'm not down on it because it's not Super Metroid, I'm down on it because even without the lackluster exploration, the backtracking is tedious, the combat is straight up not fun, and the overall game just left a lot to be desired for me.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I loved this game. The story is a bit weird and random but its got such a strange style, its like playing Super Metroid during while having fever induced hallucinations. Its oddly oppressive at times and the music is INCREDIBLE. The fact it was made by a single person only adds to how impressive it all is. The controls can be a little stiff and unwieldy but otherwise I had a really good time with it.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Kudos to the dev for following through. Will buy.

Have been playing Axiom Verge PS4 at a friend's house off and on and love what I've seen of the game, will be buying the Wii U version day one. Gameplay is solid and graphics, music and atmosphere are great.

GWX

I'd be definitely in for 10 bucks, but I probably won't get it full price, as it's more than a year old already. Still, happy it's coming to the platform, and it should be the definitive version, considering GamePad dedicated map, off-tv, leaderboards and the like.

maxcriden

I'd be definitely in for 10 bucks, but I probably won't get it full price, as it's more than a year old already. Still, happy it's coming to the platform, and it should be the definitive version, considering GamePad dedicated map, off-tv, leaderboards and the like.

It appears to be $20 per the post by 69wpm above.

Hero

Fantastic game, hope it sells well on Wii U. Hopefully Axiom Verge 2 can hit all the systems at the same time.

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
My first thought was "why?" Then after reaing the statement from the dev it makes perfect sense. Well done for following through on the vision

balohna

Shame the NDP is over, but yeah I'd like to have this game on Wii U. Off TV play and the best d-pad this gen are big reasons.

brinstar

I missed this when it hit on PS4, but I'll definitely grab a Wii U version. I love having the map on a second screen for these kinds of games.

Nintenleo

Map on the Gamepad, leaderboards for the new mode and off-tv play are perfect features for this kind of game. Will probably get it, hoping the dev will support NX too.

Regiruler

The game on Steam at least has a built in speedrun mode, complete with splits for tracking your time for certain sections.

My question was: why make this an exclusive feature? It doesn't really seem like you would make just for the sake of it.

Is there some system in place that makes leaderboard implementation easier, and thus they decided "why not"?

test_account

XP-39C²
An amazin game! And to think that all is made by one person is also incredible, especially concider that the music is also great.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Finally! Looking forward to play this. No idea whats taken them so long, would have guessed the core target for such a game would be on Wii U, but glad its finally coming to us :)

Peltz

If it truly is a pixel perfect port, I'll buy it too. I specifically was holding out for the Wii U version because I think the Gamepad would be great for this sort of game.

Top Bottom