• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge getting a physical release on the Switch.

So if this is true Nintendo is blocking games from coming to switch because they got their feelings hurt by an ex employee? That doesn't sound like they're making good business decisions at all

At this point nothing would surprise me. Calling Nintendo out on social media is not cool but then how much back and forth happened before it came to this point? People usually don't loose cool till everything seems impossible. Speculation armchair bullshit on my part of course but whatever. I just want the game on Switch.

So if this is true Nintendo is blocking games from coming to switch because they got their feelings hurt by an ex employee? That doesn't sound like they're making good business decisions at all

If they were starving for content you may have a point but resources (such as dev kits) are likely thin on the ground so it seems perfectly normal that those with better relations are at the front of the queue

tebunker

Banned

No the ex employee was throwing some shade because his former coworkers haven't had the time or made the time to get back with him and Tom Happ.

Nintendo for all intents and purposes looks to want games that bring new stuff to switch. It seems like this message is getting muddled and communication is difficult.

Xando

If they were starving for content you may have a point but resources (such as dev kits) are likely thin on the ground so it seems perfectly normal that those with better relations are at the front of the queue

I see where you are coming from but considering Nintendos problems with developers of the past it seems like they should make an extra effort to get as many games as possible on their platform.

I love my switch but i really hate nintendos elitist policys. They should be trying to get as many games as possible on the device.

No the ex employee was throwing some shade because his former coworkers haven't had the time or made the time to get back with him and Tom Happ.

Nintendo for all intents and purposes looks to want games that bring new stuff to switch. It seems like this message is getting muddled and communication is difficult.

See my above answer. I don't think Nintendo is in a position to decline getting games on switch for whatever reason. They should make an extra effort to get as many games on it as possible.

TriAceJP

I already bought a physical steel book for the PC, on top of owning the digital version on WiiU and PC ;-;

I guess I'm in...

BY2K

Membero Americo
Yeah he said it was up to Nintendo when they announced Multiverse edition for the other platforms also

LPpyqmEh.jpg

"Old co-workers"?

Why isn't he talking to the new License guy of NoA that put up an open invitation on Twitter to submit games to Nintendo for Switch?

I see where you are coming from but considering Nintendos problems with developers of the past it seems like they should make an extra effort to get as many games as possible on their platform.

I love my switch but i really hate nintendos elitist policys. They should be trying to get as many games as possible on the device.

See my above answer. I don't think Nintendo is in a position to decline getting games on switch for whatever reason. They should make an extra effort to get as many games on it as possible.

The "problems" you mention are long since past and right now i think there are more than enough indie games being released and coming, getting "as many as possible" right now might not be the best idea as a flooded market and low userbase would be terrible for sales

orient

Neo Member
I love that people are trying to blame the dev based on a tweet. All the "new/exclusive content" arguments are nonsense, too. Half the games on the eShop are NEOGEO games and old-ass Tomorrow Corp titles. Are you telling me we're better off *not* having Axiom Verge on the eShop right now? I would at least have something to play now that I've finished Wonder Boy. This is a classic case of "Nintendo move in mysterious, dumb ways". See: almost everything they do.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I love that people are trying to blame the dev based on a tweet. All the "new/exclusive content" arguments are nonsense, too. Half the games on the eShop are NEOGEO games and old-ass Tomorrow Corp titles. Are you telling me we're better off *not* having Axiom Verge on the eShop right now? I would at least have something to play now that I've finished Wonder Boy. This is a classic case of "Nintendo move in mysterious, dumb ways". See: almost everything they do.

In this case, Nintendo (read: Damon Baker) has actually been pretty transparent about their approach with Switch's eShop and smaller developers, so I wouldn't call it mysterious. (Of course, just because they've communicated their approach doesn't necessarily make it a good one.)

Unai

Whaa? Why? I don't get this line of thinking. It's still available on Wii U and PS4, and Vita. Why not just get it now? Then double dip? Also, why is the Switch version all of a sudden more attractive than the other two version? It makes no sense.
Anyway, guess the Switch gets a good Metroid game sooner than we all expected.

Because the PS4 and Wii U version are home console only, and the Vita is portable only.

tolkir

If not to have Axiom Verge on Switch, it means not to have many shovelware products of Wii U, I hope continues this way.

I'm not saying that Axiom Verge is shovelware. Only if Nintendo opens the doors, we know what it's gonna happen.

specdot

Because the PS4 and Wii U version are home console only, and the Vita is portable only.
This is a much better answer than that poster who said that they waited so long to get it so they might as well get it on the Switch.

Because I'm only gonna play it once and a Switch version would let me play both on the go and on the TV. (don't have a Vita) I've waited this long I can wait some more, no big deal.
Lmao never mind. After reading BY2K's post. Good luck continuing waiting on that Switch version.

orient

Neo Member
If not to have Axiom Verge on Switch, it means not to have many shovelware products of Wii U, I hope continues this way.

I'm not saying that Axiom Verge is shovelware. Only if Nintendo opens the doors, we know what it's gonna happen.

This argument also makes no sense. If this really is a curation issue, it's possible for them to allow good games on Switch and reject shovelware -- that's basic quality control.

In reality, there is probably a whole bunch of factors they consider that they aren't going to divulge publicly. It's obviously not as simple as "must have new content" because there are already games that break that rule. Price, rating, genre, what else is coming out, workload, indie vs big publisher, business deals etc. Their reasoning is unknowable. All I know is that great games like this should be high priority for Nintendo and it clearly isn't.

nynt9

Here's something shocking for you. You can just ignore shovelware and it won't hurt you. When a system has a dearth of titles like the switch does, you want more games, not less. Denying a cult classic like AV helps no one.

NimbusD

Yeah, I wonder if those games got fast-tracked on Switch because they showed aspects of Switch functionality that other developers had somewhat ignored. Their long history with Nintendo, including at past launches, also probably doesn't hurt. I definitely associate them with Nintendo.

It's intentional: I'm almost positive I heard Damon Baker say they wanted the first games on Switch to have something new or exclusive to them. I wonder how long that will last, though. My intuition, which is based on nothing, tells me that this might be a Year 1 policy.
Telling devs and publishers to fuck off and come back next year is a horrible strategy.

I wonder if this Dan fellow is as uncouth when he was in charge of third party relations...

he did go completely off message and publicly criticise region locking (cant remember the exact details now) which while he might have been right was completely unprofessional of him

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Telling devs and publishers to fuck off and come back next year is a horrible strategy.

The year was a total guess on my part. It might be the first three months, like a launch window strategy. It could be less or more. It might also be that I've misunderstood their approach, and it's certain that there are many aspects to it that aren't known to a random consumer like me, like orient wrote.

If it were a year and as black-and-white as I wrote, I agree that pushing developers away who don't have new projects to put on the console for that long of a period would not be good for developer relations.

Calzone

Neo Member
I'll never stop being baffled by Nintendo of America's amazing ability to fuck up simple things at every possible opportunity. Between this and the N++ news, I'm getting the impression that the Switch could have launched with a sizable indie library if Nintendo weren't being so damn picky with what they approve.

Meanwhile, Nintendo of Japan is approving things like "Vroom in the night sky" as if to rub salt in the wounds of people getting stonewalled by NoA.

brinstar

This is a much better answer than that poster who said that they waited so long to get it so they might as well get it on the Switch.

Lmao never mind. After reading BY2K's post. Good luck continuing waiting on that Switch version.

Well yeah I made that post before the rest of the details came out. What is your problem dude, why are you so concerned about where I prefer to play a game?

jariw

I'll never stop being baffled by Nintendo of America's amazing ability to fuck up simple things at every possible opportunity. Between this and the N++ news, I'm getting the impression that the Switch could have launched with a sizable indie library if Nintendo weren't being so damn picky with what they approve.

Well, the indie Direct showed a really great range of good games for 2017. Quite a difference from the initial states of the Wii, Wii U or 3DS.

The interview with Baker (around the same time) explained the reasons pretty well IMO. They will drip-release a few indie titles each week, that will get that week's focus. And they will open the floodgates later on. I think NoA's approach is required, if they want to create a solid starting catalog without tons of shovelware. The huge amount of shovelware was the main problem with the Wii U eShop catalog for NoA (not so for the NoE and Japan eShop, since there were expenses related to ratings on those eShops).

Meanwhile, Nintendo of Japan is approving things like "Vroom in the night sky" as if to rub salt in the wounds of people getting stonewalled by NoA.

Yes, NCL seems to have different policies with their indie developers compared to NoA and NoE. But VOEZ is also a Japanese indie, AFAIK.

But I can't see the point of focusing on "Vroom in the night sky". On the Metacritic's list of Switch games, that game really stands out as an exception.

Top Bottom