• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

bede-x

There's also Chasm on the way but... they still don't have an exact release date for this game :-(

Procedurally-generated levels is the very opposite of what I'm looking for in a Metroidvania. Could easily be about grinding and loot instead of perfectly handcrafted levels. Hype levels low..

Ehhh it's more of a Metroidvania-lite, sort of like Mega Man Zero 1/ZX 1&2 if you've played them. There are minor elements of Metroidvania in that you get upgrades that let you explore areas, but level progression is almost strictly linear, no interconnection between worlds.

I've played them and fair enough. Not what I was hoping for, but there's still a good chance I'll enjoy it, since platformers are my favorite genre :)

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Procedurally-generated levels is the very opposite of what I'm looking for in a Metroidvania. Could easily be about grinding and loot instead of perfectly handcrafted levels. Hype levels low..
Well, you never know, maybe they'll manage to make something really cool with procedurally-generated levels. I'm sure it will be a good game, whether it is 100% metroidvania or not :)

I really like Rogue Legacy and Spelunky btw and both of them has procedurally-generated levels.

SerTapTap

Axiom Verge technically has procedurally generated content too, though it's more like a minor bonus gameplay-wise. I'm interested to see how Chasm turns out at least.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Axiom Verge technically has procedurally generated content too, though it's more like a minor bonus gameplay-wise.
Yeah, this can only and mainly be said about secret worlds in the game that randomly appear on the map in different places. And I do think that you can make really cool metroidvania game with procedurally generated levels, not to mention the fact that this feature can dramatically increase the replayability and fun factor when done right, just like in Rogue Legacy and Spelunky :)

SerTapTap

Okay, PC version review embargo's up, anyone got the details on the new Final Boss changes? (coming to PS4 later, PC's easier to patch). I got a save file but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Okay, PC version review embargo's up, anyone got the details on the new Final Boss changes? (coming to PS4 later, PC's easier to patch). I got a save file but haven't gotten around to trying it yet.
Well, I just looked at PS4 footage with the final boss and I don't see any differences, it is basically the same exact boss battle. Were there any changes planned for the PC version?

P.S. Damn, I can't post my review on Steam before the game's launch. It sucks :-(
Why can't we post reviews on Steam now if we had a review copy for 2 weeks? I just don't understand.

SerTapTap

Well, I just looked at PS4 footage with the final boss and I don't see any differences, it is basically the same exact boss battle.

Are you sure you played the new version of the boss? Said there was improvements to the final boss battle in that email on the 11th, it wasn't in the original release even on PC

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Are you sure you played the new version of the boss? Said there was improvements to the final boss battle in that email on the 11th, it wasn't in the original release even on PC
Just to be sure I have beat the final boss again and I see no differences at all :)
Is there something about the game's difficulty in this email of yours from 11th? I mean, maybe changes were made only for Hard and not for Normal difficulty?

KDR_11k

Axiom Verge technically has procedurally generated content too, though it's more like a minor bonus gameplay-wise. I'm interested to see how Chasm turns out at least.

Maybe I was unlucky but the generated stuff I got was no fun. It lacked the sense of wonder and place (and wondering what this place is about).

SerTapTap

Maybe I was unlucky but the generated stuff I got was no fun. It lacked the sense of wonder and place (and wondering what this place is about).

Well the whole point is those sections are random trash. They're the secret worlds from Mario 1 and Metroid. Of course their feel is much different, maybe harder to appreciate, I really enjoyed them though. To me it really nailed this experience of being inside this thing that's not supposed to be there.

SerTapTap

Gaffer Phawx has an Axiom Verge retrospective, spoilers of course. I've been meaning to write up something more substantial about the game but haven't had time yet. Maybe I'll have it in time for the Vita launch.

Just to be sure I have beat the final boss again and I see no differences at all :)
Is there something about the game's difficulty in this email of yours from 11th? I mean, maybe changes were made only for Hard and not for Normal difficulty?

Just specifies a patch about the final boss. I'll have to play it myself, I was expecting a drastic change but maybe it's more subtle. I've fought the boss several times so maybe I'll notice if somethings' different.

kephyr

Neo Member
Some days ago I finished. It is a perfect game, if you don't live in 3D and resolution and AA you will enjoy it. :D It's better gaming experience than a lot of AAA title today... :D

Beat the game last night and have to say it was just great and right up my alley. The fact that one person created this front to back is pretty spectacular. The music alone deserves a giant pat on the back, damn it's catchy and atmospheric.

SerTapTap

Beat the game last night and have to say it was just great and right up my alley. The fact that one person created this front to back is pretty spectacular. The music alone deserves a giant pat on the back, damn it's catchy and atmospheric.

Music's great, bought the soundtrack as soon as it released. Trace Rising, Without Place and Apocalypse are my favorites. The music is one of the things that really hammers home the "damn, ONE guy made this?!" feeling.

Music's great, bought the soundtrack as soon as it released. Trace Rising, Without Place and Apocalypse are my favorites. The music is one of the things that really hammers home the "damn, ONE guy made this?!" feeling.

That's actually why I was compelled to make a post about it. I mean that's some serious multi-talent. Each and every song has gotten stuck in my head at some point.

SerTapTap

I put the OST in my car, finally popped out Binding of Isaac which I had been listening to after getting into Rebirth (listening to the Vanilla music not rebirth's, of course)

SerTapTap

Currently in the Top 10 Best Sellers. At #9 when I just checked, although it was higher earlier. Still, that bodes very well for the game. :)

That's good to hear--seems like a lot less buzz than the PS4 launch but maybe I should have expected that. Not really sure how staggered releases affect things, I'm down for good games whenever they release on whatever I've got.

KingKong

What should I do to the green thing in the droid path in Zi? It just leeches on to me and kills the droid in seconds. Is that area optional?

jb1234

After two intense gaming sessions, I'm in the very frustrating final area. Talk about a difficulty spike! The game's been a lot of fun so far, aside from the parts I'd get stuck because I couldn't figure out where to go after collecting an item and would have to randomly explore every map. That was never fun.

Edit: And finished it. One of the worst final bosses I've seen in a while. Just terrible design. Game was mostly great, I have no disappointments.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What should I do to the green thing in the droid path in Zi? It just leeches on to me and kills the droid in seconds. Is that area optional?

Jump and shoot down when it latches onto you, and be very careful about not taking any other damage whatsoever. Avoiding it was nearly impossible to me. The ones latter can be more easily dodged.

Or you can wait until later, when you get upgrades to make that path easier. I don't really remember what you get from that path.

On Steam, I keep getting file to download that is usually 1.3MB in size. I don't see any patch notes so I don't know what it is. Anyone else getting it?

KarmaCow

I beat the game and now I'm trying to clean up the items/map coverage. I'm trying to do it without looking things up but I'm at the point where I'm literally hitting my head against the walls in the game. The traversal being slow is also wearing down my patience.

That said I'm only hoping for a vague hint. I
found a secret world in Sudra(?) pretty much by accident though I'm not sure how I would have found it otherwise. I'm assuming there are more going by the achievement pop and how I've combed through the rest the world without finding the missing items. Is there an indication where the entrances are on screen?

Also I got the achievement for 100% tools but there are a few areas that feel like I'm missing an ability. Particularly
the area with the drone that connects to Sudra where the map says there is a way down or 4 barriers in a row
. Plus
there is room for 1 more tool on the status screen.
It could be weapon but it doesn't feel like weapons have had out of combat applications since the first 4 weapons, so I'm assuming there is something I don't understand.

About the codes,
I hacked an enemy and it cycled through letters but it didn't do anything. Is the given order wrong?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
found a secret world in Sudra(?) pretty much by accident though I'm not sure how I would have found it otherwise. I'm assuming there are more going by the achievement pop and how I've combed through the rest the world without finding the missing items. Is there an indication where the entrances are on screen?
Yes, there is an indication. When you standing close to the entrance of the secret world there should be visible interference on the screen with the noise :)

There's lots of places where the entrance can appear on the map and it's random every time so even if you look at the full map to see every possible place, it does not guarantee that the entrance to the secret world will be there. Oh and, I think you can only find 3 secret worlds in one playthrough
(someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

About the codes,
I hacked an enemy and it cycled through letters but it didn't do anything. Is the given order wrong?
You can't find codes by glitching enemies.

pa22word

Ugh just unlocked air dodge and my lord I don't think he could have picked a more awkward way to do it than he did >.>

Like the game this far baring a few questionable level design quirks. It's no super metroid, but a very enjoyable game nonetheless, and has satisfactorily scratched the metroid itch I've had for a while.

KingKong

Wow this bee boss is really pissing me off. The 'trick'
blow up the butterflies when theyre near him
is really finicky to pull off too

KarmaCow

Yes, there is an indication. When you standing close to the entrance of the secret world there should be visible interference on the screen with the noise :)

There's lots of places where the entrance can appear on the map and it's random every time so even if you look at the full map to see every possible place, it does not guarantee that the entrance to the secret world will be there. Oh and, I think you can only find 3 secret worlds in one playthrough[/SPOILER] (someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

Do the distortions disappear after you first enter enter the secret world? I went back to the screen with the entrance and couldn't find any interference.

So
what was that code the enemy was cycling through? It was cycling through ISKARTEHANZU.

I actually found
another code by scanning a distortion in the first area which opened up a path way to the powerup behind the 4 laser beam barrier. I found that by accident as well since again, there didn't seem to be any indication of it being there before scanning the area.

There wasn't a hint of that doorway on the map either before I used the code which makes the other areas make more sense. I don't have the purple dot in some areas despite the map looking fill out. Though I still feel like I'm missing some way to figure out where exactly to look for items/secrets. Even the map design doesn't even seem to hint at hidden areas, ie through empty pockets surrounded by explored map.

Edit: Just said fuck it and looked up the last few items. The ones involving the codes were tedious anyways.

Now I'm deciding whether to try a speedrun/low percent or a hard mode run.

Gilby

Just finished this (around 70% of items), what an excellent game! I can't remember the last time i was so engrossed in a game that I played for about 6 hours straight. Congrats Tom Happ, and thank you!

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Do the distortions disappear after you first enter enter the secret world? I went back to the screen with the entrance and couldn't find any interference.
Yep.

So
what was that code the enemy was cycling through? It was cycling through ISKARTEHANZU.
Are you sure that you got this code from enemy and not from something else?

I actually found
another code by scanning a distortion in the first area which opened up a path way to the powerup behind the 4 laser beam barrier. I found that by accident as well since again, there didn't seem to be any indication of it being there before scanning the area.
You usually get codes by glitching certain sections of the map with distortions by using Field Disruptor. You can also reveal hidden passages that way to find items or hidden paths to the secret rooms.

SerTapTap

Just picked up the 3rd
lab coat
but I'm a little stuck. Which section should I be searching now?

Look in Kur. Specifically
as high up as you can go without that item
I'm surprised people didn't pick up on this hint, but I guess it's because that item forces you to think a bit differently.

I don't mind the trick being hard to pull off, it's more like a speedrun quick-kill. The boss itself is a bit too much IMO, some attacks are very hard to dodge and without certain weapons it's very annoying. It and the final boss are the only things that still kill me

Ugh just unlocked air dodge and my lord I don't think he could have picked a more awkward way to do it than he did >.>

Like the game this far baring a few questionable level design quirks. It's no super metroid, but a very enjoyable game nonetheless, and has satisfactorily scratched the metroid itch I've had for a while.

Nah, double tap to dash is fine IMO, just putting it on a button you could mash results in a very different feel. I kinda like when there's at least a tiny bit of technique to execution. And it's not really a dodge, it's a traversal ability
though it helps on the bee boss

There wasn't a hint of that doorway on the map either before I used the code which makes the other areas make more sense. I don't have the purple dot in some areas despite the map looking fill out. Though I still feel like I'm missing some way to figure out where exactly to look for items/secrets. Even the map design doesn't even seem to hint at hidden areas, ie through empty pockets surrounded by explored map.[/SPOILER]

Edit: Just said fuck it and looked up the last few items. The ones involving the codes were tedious anyways.

Now I'm deciding whether to try a speedrun/low percent or a hard mode run.

I don't believe the distortion goes away so, but you have to be very close (depending on which one) to see it to begin with. You can definitely go back in them, though you shouldn't need to.

The map design actually does hint to a few of the un-mapped areas, if you note
Eribu
in particular is shaped a bit funny in the zoomed out vs zoomed in map until you find a couple secrets. Only secrets I really did not like were some of the code ones. Especially the
flamethrower
code, since it's very easy to find where you need to use the code before the code...or before you konw you need a code. The others I can admit I could have been more observant but that one's a bit mean.

I found all the non-code "hidden" map bits myself with some effort, I think the per-region completion dots are a good balance of info without being X Ray Visor "yeah something's here", the problem's just a few secrets were a bit too obscure, especially when optional items/codes from other areas are required (these were rare, but if you're going for 100% that doesn't matter).

And I went for hard mode first, it forces you to learn certain bosses/enemies better and I preferred getting familiar with the map/path one more time. The first playthrough is always a bit bumbling so it's nice to have a refresher so you don't get lost.

not quite,
an enemy in E Kur Mah cycles through some letters that form a code you need in that same room

jacobeid

Banned

Yup. More importantly than anything else, that boss battle isn't *fun* to play.

I play video games for enjoyment. Challenges can be, and mostly are, enjoyable. Frustration is not what I sign up for when turning on a game...that's what I go to work for.

SerTapTap

The bee boss does some interesting things IMO, it just doesn't do them quite well. Boss spoilers of course:

It backs off when you approach it--that's cool. But when it does/doesn't back off seems random, and it backs up less than you move forward so you have to back up and charge at it again to keep it moving back unless you want to bump into it. and it's pretty hard to keep attacking while charging & retreating.

Also it's quite hard with certain weapons to attack while moving at it...or to hit it at all with some. As a result it's a bit too dependant on which weapon you use for a game where most weapons are actually optional (and none of the non-optional weapons are especially great against it).

Finally, IMO, it's just got a bit too much health too. The fight feels slower than most others except the Scorpion, who is also too slow unless you exploit his turning logic and nail him with the Kilver from behind.

I think one critical piece I was missing is you can use the teledash to avoid the bee's stings? I saw a speedrun do that but haven't tried it myself. I didn't think of that

Footos22

Yup. More importantly than anything else, that boss battle isn't *fun* to play.

I play video games for enjoyment. Challenges can be, and mostly are, enjoyable. Frustration is not what I sign up for when turning on a game...that's what I go to work for.

Jump straight up and then air dash up every time he shoots his projectiles you'll dodge them and his sting if he does it afterwards. His pattern is pretty easy. On hard you dont get much leeway though.
Beat him first time on normal.

Footos22

The bee boss does some interesting things IMO, it just doesn't do them quite well. Boss spoilers of course:

It backs off when you approach it--that's cool. But when it does/doesn't back off seems random, and it backs up less than you move forward so you have to back up and charge at it again to keep it moving back unless you want to bump into it. and it's pretty hard to keep attacking while charging & retreating.

Also it's quite hard with certain weapons to attack while moving at it...or to hit it at all with some. As a result it's a bit too dependant on which weapon you use for a game where most weapons are actually optional (and none of the non-optional weapons are especially great against it).

Finally, IMO, it's just got a bit too much health too. The fight feels slower than most others except the Scorpion, who is also too slow unless you exploit his turning logic and nail him with the Kilver from behind.

I think one critical piece I was missing is you can use the teledash to avoid the bee's stings? I saw a speedrun do that but haven't tried it myself. I didn't think of that

The scorpion is pretty easy with the second gun you ge tin the game. The pink one. Cant remember its name. Wrecks it just gotta explode it under his belly. Only time that boss is a pain is when he decides to spend 90% of the fight shooting along the floor.

SerTapTap

The scorpion is pretty easy with the second gun you ge tin the game. The pink one. Cant remember its name. Wrecks it just gotta explode it under his belly. Only time that boss is a pain is when he decides to spend 90% of the fight shooting along the floor.

Yeah, it's fairly easy, but it takes a loooong time depending on how often he decides to shoot...I very often only get one or two shots in between his attacks. I can't tell if Im' doing something to trigger that attack but it doesn't seem like it. With him and the bee boss, the RNG is a bit too significant to how the fight plays out. I thought the first three bosses, while easy, were the best designed. Well (mid/late game spoilers)
the hallucination boss is awesome, but not for gameplay reasons

Footos22

Yeah, it's fairly easy, but it takes a loooong time depending on how often he decides to shoot...I very often only get one or two shots in between his attacks. I can't tell if Im' doing something to trigger that attack but it doesn't seem like it. With him and the bee boss, the RNG is a bit too significant to how the fight plays out. I thought the first three bosses, while easy, were the best designed. Well (mid/late game spoilers)
the hallucination boss is awesome, but not for gameplay reasons

Yeah, third boss is my favourite. Last boss is the worst. Especially on hard.

jacobeid

Banned
Jump straight up and then air dash up every time he shoots his projectiles you'll dodge them and his sting if he does it afterwards. His pattern is pretty easy. On hard you dont get much leeway though.
Beat him first time on normal.

I never said that it was difficult. I said that it was frustrating (tiny hit box, way too much health) and not fun to play.

SerTapTap

Ah crap, the weapon in the secret world cycles each playthrough, apparently tom tweeted about it and I missed it. That simplifies things

Look in Kur. Specifically
as high up as you can go without that item
I'm surprised people didn't pick up on this hint, but I guess it's because that item forces you to think a bit differently.

I found that top item before I found the lab coat. I'm surprised you can do it in that order considering how annoying it was to drill the blocks. Apparently the answer was to go back to Ukkin-Na for some reason that was probably explained. I don't think I would have figured out
to shoot a drone up to an off-screen ledge
without watching a video.

SerTapTap

I found that top item before I found the lab coat. I'm surprised you can do it in that order considering how annoying it was to drill the blocks. Apparently the answer was to go back to Ukkin-Na for some reason that was probably explained. I don't think I would have figured out
to shoot a drone up to an off-screen ledge
without watching a video.

Wait wait wait, are you referring to the
Trenchcoat, brown, dashes two tiles?
? If not you're describing a major sequence break I was unaware of. But if you're where I think you are, IMO it should have been fairly clear they you need to go up as high as possible to get into that particular structure. I tried every time I got a new vertical-ish power.

Wait wait wait, are you referring to the
Trenchcoat, brown, dashes two tiles?
? If not you're describing a major sequence break I was unaware of. But if you're where I think you are, IMO it should have been fairly clear they you need to go up as high as possible to get into that particular structure. I tried every time I got a new vertical-ish power.

I doubt it was a sequence break. This was the order:

key
3rd coat - the one that lets you destroy blocks
head to final area (this is where I was stuck in my previous post)

Anyway, I finished the game. The tethered charge absolutely wrecks the final boss so it was probably the easiest fight for me.

IMO better than any Metroid game that isn't Super. I'm sure I'll enjoy it more the second time through.

SerTapTap

I doubt it was a sequence break. This was the order:

Anyway, I finished the game. The tethered charge absolutely wrecks the final boss so it was probably the easiest fight for me.

IMO better than any Metroid game that isn't Super. I'm sure I'll enjoy it more the second time through.

Oh, no I just misinterpreted what you meant. A few people got stuck there, I didn't because I tried to climb up that area a couple times beforehand.

Tethered charge is good but the flamethrower is absurd. I still need to fight the revamped final boss though

Top Bottom