• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axiom Verge |OT| Life's A Glitch

dralla

Picked this up on sale and I think I'm nearing the end? I got the trophy for all abilities.
I went running around looking for upgrades and found Elsenova and she said the elevator behind her will take me to Athetos.
Is that the end? The point of no return? I want to know because I'd rather to some more exploring first if it is. I'm missing some weapons and upgrades I'd like to get before I finish.

Just finished the game, went the whole mile and got 100% map + items. I had to look up one of the passcodes (
the one for the Orbital Discharge
) and a few item locations, but I ended up finding the vast majority of them myself. I really like the whole world and premise of the
axioms that Trace/Athetos created
, especially how they lead into the true ending revealing that
all of Trace's memories were just Athetos' to begin with, and the main ending is just the Rusalka trapping Trace in an 'algorithm' of a virtualized Earth; in the true ending Trace's drive to return to Sudra leads to Athetos' emotions/memories coming out and waking him up by killing him in the virtualized Earth

Playing this has made me realized just how sad I am that there probably won't ever be another 2D Metroid game... well, at least Shadow Complex just came out on PC!

Picked this up on sale and I think I'm nearing the end? I got the trophy for all abilities.
I went running around looking for upgrades and found Elsenova and she said the elevator behind her will take me to Athetos.
Is that the end? The point of no return? I want to know because I'd rather to some more exploring first if it is. I'm missing some weapons and upgrades I'd like to get before I finish.

You can turn back at any point before
actually starting the Athetos fight
, so don't worry.

Mathieran

Banned
Started the game on the first I am really enjoying it so far. About 2/3 done I think a

One thing is bothering me though: what is the proper way to pronounce Athetos? I pronounce it (uh-thEE-tOHz) with the emphasis on the middle syllable. It doesn't seem to sound right though. Is there an official ruling somewhere?

kaiju

This game is a life changer for me. Brought back so many feels from my days as a kid playing Nintendo and Turbografx-16. Playing this game made me realize that somewhere along the line, that old feeling had been lost in the modern technology of games today.

Words like Edin, Absu, Kur and E-Kur-Mah (and their maps) are forever burned into my mind. Tom Happ bro, I love you man.

These flying robots in the last area are ridiculous, flying all over the place and rapid firing me to death.

And google tells me that... no one else has a problem with them? Heeeeeelp.

Edit: Alright, I managed.

Time: 13:49
Items: 65%
Map: 91%
Deaths: 42

SerTapTap

These flying robots in the last area are ridiculous, flying all over the place and rapid firing me to death.

And google tells me that... no one else has a problem with them? Heeeeeelp.

Edit: Alright, I managed.

Time: 13:49
Items: 65%
Map: 91%
Deaths: 42

I just run past them, especially with the
drone + enhanced launch
you can zip through most of the areas real quick. But yeah, it hurts.

Not sure if this is the best place to post (so apologies if not).
A portion of the soundtrack is available on vinyl at the following link:
http://shiptoshore.storenvy.com/products/15227967-axiom-verge

Limited to 1,000 copies.
250 orange/red
750 purple

Appears only the purple are left.

Hmmmm tempted because of AV collectable but I don't really care about Vinyl and it's missing my favorite track (Without Place). Might just leave it for someone who'll appreciate it more.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
I started this game yesterday and I had to stop for a moment when this track hit.

Like holy shit.

HOLY SHIT SO GOOD
Started the game recently too and yeah, the music is aces.

I have a question regarding one of the upgrades from around the middle of the game going by my map completion rate, the
password thing that adds a sub-menu where I have 5 lines to input, am I supposed to find those by myself? Didn't find any hints so far.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Started the game recently too and yeah, the music is aces.

I have a question regarding one of the upgrades from around the middle of the game going by my map completion rate, the
password thing that adds a sub-menu where I have 5 lines to input, am I supposed to find those by myself? Didn't find any hints so far.

I found
one note so far that has a code in it you can use for the tool. It's weird though, it registers as a valid code, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I have other notes in alien language, and the code doesn't translate them. But read your notes, the codes are in all caps

Game is pretty big! I'm at 10 hours with 68% map completion, but admittely I did a lot of backtracking.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This song gave me PTSD because of the fucking scorpion boss lol, what a disgusting thing to beat. Died over and over to it and had to listen to the song every time

Yeah I spent a lot of time in that area as well, and I'm a bit tired of the song now too.

I finished the game yesterday, but I'm going back for the 100%. I would've liked some warp points though. The map is pretty big, and the only real fast method of travel is that giant head in the big connection area.

I read that you get dots per map for item completion/full map, but some indication on the map for missing items wouldn't hurt, like '95% items found, 1 node left in area', stuff like that. I'm probably gonna print Sir TapTap's maps, would take me too long by just exploring. I got to 75% items on my own, happy with that.

SerTapTap

Yeah, it was always going to be crossbuy, I forget if cross save is new, but it sounds like it might not make it in version 1.0 for Vita.

Peace Tea

Enjoying the game so far. Though I know I'm where I probably shouldn't be lol. Got the Green Lightning weapon and then headed in a general North Eastern direction and acquired
High Jump

Not sure how many weapons/abilities I've skipped, but i guess ill be forced into acquiring them sooner or later.

Man, yesterday I was playing (first playthrough, on Vita) and I was jumping around and shooting/drilling walls for stuff and Trace just went through and the game looked like t crashed briefly and then BAM! Secret World time. That was such a great moment. This game is paced really well imo, and as someone that grew up on NES Metroid, satisfies a craving I'd been having. Really fun stuff.

Is this game a pure pixel art game and made to try to fit into the limitations of the 16-bit world?

I am looking to getting this for the Vita (especially because I love 2D Metroid and Colin and Greg have nothing but praise for it). But if it's not real pixel art and doesn't really feel like a 16-bit game I fear I may not enjoy it as much.

Is this game a pure pixel art game and made to try to fit into the limitations of the 16-bit world?

I am looking to getting this for the Vita (especially because I love 2D Metroid and Colin and Greg have nothing but praise for it). But if it's not real pixel art and doesn't really feel like a 16-bit game I fear I may not enjoy it as much.

Have you played and finished Metroid or Super Metroid? Did you enjoy those games? If so you will enjoy this.

As to whether this game fits your idea of what constitutes "pure" (also, ???), check out Mr. Happ's own posting on the PS Blog re: AV's development with substantial parts dedicated to the art style: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2015/03/31/the-development-of-axiom-verge-a-5-year-retrospective/

krossj

Started this last week on the vita and just got the grappling hook. Incredible game so far, just a lot of fun and I really like the design of everything. Bosses have been relatively easy going so far but traveling around has been challenging at times with those charging enemies. Looking forward to exploring more.

edit - and finished. just under 12 hours and 91% of the map. Great game all round. There was some 2 second freeze moments but they didn't detract from the game for me.

Hope we get another game from Tom in the future.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Just got this. Gonna start tonight. Why isn't it that popular? Reviews are great on ps store

It is/was? It's over a year old. I think it was plenty popular and got lots of praise. I never completed it personally, IIRC I reached the last boss or shortly before it and for some reason took a short break from it and haven't returned since. I don't remember anything about this game now.

JonnyKong

Just bought this myself the other day as it's currently on sale. Hope you're all looking forward to my ramblings on it.

My first initial thoughts are, the music is ace, and I wish the map screen was bigger.

This game is great. I'm getting really frustrated with how most of the weapons feel though, a lot of really lame and limp impacts. Also, far too many of them.

I'm at the part with all the divebombing enemies that are a small square in size and just can't find something that dispatches them effectively.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
This game is great. I'm getting really frustrated with how most of the weapons feel though, a lot of really lame and limp impacts. Also, far too many of them.

I'm at the part with all the divebombing enemies that are a small square in size and just can't find something that dispatches them effectively.

Yeah that's one of the only flaws in the game: too many weapons with too many that feel interchangeable. I liked the glitch mechanic though, and how it could turn annoying enemies into nothing but cannon fodder.

All in all, still amazed that this entire game was made by one man, that is still mindblowing months after I've beaten it.

JaseMath

Fun game, but not great. Story is compelling, but bogged down by weak writing, world traversal is tedious, and progression feels clunky and slow. Overall, I kind of regret making the purchase.

3/6

Much respect the developer, though.

Gaius

Banned
Holy shit. Just finished and it became an instant classic. Everything just fit. No discord in this game whatsoever. Every part of Axiom Verge is there for a reason. Soundtrack is phenomenal, not only because it's good on its own, but because it compliments aesthetic choice and narrative so much. It's been so long since last time i was so enamored by the experience i completely lost my sense of time.

10/10

Brilliant.

I got utterly lost in the PS4 version, so I started this again on Vita. It's a great game although I definitely agree with above comments that there are too many weapons (should have had about 4 and made them much more distinct), and I wish there was some kind of objective marker (even if it just points to the correct area) because it's pretty easy to get lost and backtracking or going a long distance can be really tedious with all the respawning enemies.

Determined to finish it this time though! Away for the weekend at my in-law's tonight, so it should be a good chance to play for a couple of hours.

Man, I think I'm lost again. Beaten four bosses and I've just got the grappling hook. I've looked back through everywhere I think I'm able to explore, and I don't see the way forward. This is where I got lost last time too. Might just check a map or walkthrough and try to push through, as I would like to finish it this time around.

I made it past where I got lost before now, and I'm enjoying it a lot again. I'm in Edin at the moment and finding the enemies here a little annoying as they're really fast and pretty tough. Using the Kilver to take them down at close range, but rarely battling enemies here without taking a bit of damage.

I like where the plot is going. It's surprisingly decent.

Fuck this hornet boss. This thing is kicking my arse. Man, the difficulty in this game is pretty savage, and I hate how lots of enemies take many hits before dying. Got into an area with some purple flying robots earlier and I couldn't even take down a single one of them. Even glitching it slowed it to half speed but it still fires a constant steam of bullets which are hard to avoid. Doesn't help that I'm playing on Vita and I feel like the controls aren't quite up to fast avoidance and switching between weapons.

Fuck this Hornet boss. Fuck it so hard. This thing is kicking my arse so goddamn much; I must have tried about 15 times now. I have been enjoying the game but I'm pretty close to just giving up now.

I'm not enjoying this game at all any more. The fucking difficulty has just got extreme now and I really don't think the character controls are good enough to deal with everything it throws at you.

I'm currently on the laser eye boss (#7) and I don't think I can be bothered pushing on. Pretty sure given everything the final boss will be a complete and utter cunt as well.

Robaperas

I just finished it, great game overall, sometimes I felt a bit lost but after thinking for a few minutes, I realized what I was missing. Ended up with 91% of the map and 20 deaths.

Quite a lot of vitriol in my last bunch of posts! I did end up finishing it, and it was worthwhile, but holy shit the difficulty towards the end of the game absolutely pounded me. I do think it's an incredible achievement for a one man band, and the soundtrack is amazing.

Robaperas

Quite a lot of vitriol in my last bunch of posts! I did end up finishing it, and it was worthwhile, but holy shit the difficulty towards the end of the game absolutely pounded me. I do think it's an incredible achievement for a one man band, and the soundtrack is amazing.

Yeah, the last 2 bosses were a LOT more difficult even with the
Red Coat
, it was really satisfying to kill them though.

psyfi

Banned
I'm pretty sure I need a double jump ability to proceed, but I can't find one anywhere. Can anyone nudge me in the right direction?

I'm pretty sure I need a double jump ability to proceed, but I can't find one anywhere. Can anyone nudge me in the right direction?

I assume you have been to Eribu and Edin, correct?
Try to find a way into the area between the two (when looking at the main map)

Top Bottom