• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axios: Adviser says it's finally dawned on Trump: "People really fucking hate me."

Tovarisc

A Trump adviser says that after a tumultuous seven months in office, it had finally dawned on the president: "People really f@&@ing hate me." For someone who has spent his life lapping up adulation, however fake, it was a harsh realization. This is a man with an especially acute need for affirmation.

This week's bear hug of Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer opened Trump's eyes to one solution: Stop doing things that people hate, and start striking deals.

Who knows if this will stick. But there's reason to think it might, according to Trump's friends and aides. Here's why, based on conversations Jonathan Swan and I had in the aftermath of the surprising deal:
  • He can blame Republicans for his troubles. Trump has convinced himself he was duped by GOP leaders into repealing health care and blowing his first seven months on a fool's errand. If he can strike a few deals, he can reshape history to make the party — not himself — the culprit.
  • He can please the kids and New Yorkers. With the banishment of Bannon and his allies, Trump is left with a largely moderate to Democratic staff.
  • A senior administration official said of Trump's deal with Chuck and Nancy: "He just wanted to do something popular." He's reveling in the coverage, including lavish praise from "Morning Joe."
  • He can spend money, not take it away. Trump hates complex topics and gravitates to things you can build, such as planes or new infrastructure projects.
  • Remember he told Republican senators the House healthcare bill was "one mean sonofabitch." He said he wanted the Senate version to be much more generous, with no worry about cost.
  • One senator recalled Trump saying: "We're going to have so much ... economic growth, that we'll have so much money — more than you imagine."
  • He can liberate himself. He feels boxed in inside the White House and felt handcuffed to GOP leaders. No more. He had it with McConnell — thinks he's past his prime, no longer capable of leading. Considers him low-energy. He has much more natural rapport with Schumer, a friend from the New York days.
https://www.axios.com/why-trump-hopes-the-new-trump-sticks-2483311761.html

WaPo story with similar themes: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=248386253&postcount=49

Anyone hoping for him to form any kind of predictable long-term pattern of behavior based on this is going to be disappointed. If anything, his need for approval will keep him returning to the white supremacist well over and over again because they’re the only ones who love him.

Steejee

Nah he'll go back to his base and old behaviors by next week.

That's my expectation too, but it would be a turn for the ages if he suddenly flips to pushing Democratic policies. Could you imagine how many heads would explode if he endorsed Medicare for All suddenly? I could see a few ways someone could successfully pitch it to him.

we are like two weeks away from him supporting nazis and now we like him? is this a joke?

I don't think anyone here suddenly likes him. One political deal with the Democrats (that will have no real good effects on the populace) doesn't undo the things he actually has done.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Trump is a being ruled by ego, not any moral conviction, so he can be pulled this way or that, but ultimately the sheer force of his ego will see him continue to be a force for evil.

I would certainly love to see him work with Democrats more, and for him to finally see that nothing good can come with siding with a Republican party that really and truly doesn't like him in the first place, and that has complete shit policies.

That said, yes, I and many, many others really do fucking hate him.

RPGCrazied

I've always wondered if he really was a plant. But then I look at his actions he has done, and that goes away.

Still though, attacking his party is delicious.

commedieu

Banned
Nah he'll go back to his base and old behaviors by next week.

This. I don't know why people keep giving this guy a pass when he does, one, decent thing. This isn't a pivot. This is to piss off Ryan and mitch, because he's mad at them.

He's such a simple fool. People can't accept that a moron+bigot is running our country. So they keep applying plot to him. Like a bad hyped movie.

Fuck him for pardoning arpaio. And ending daca in the most fucked up way possible. Just literally fucking with people's lives. Same with the transgender ban, and everything else he's done. He's a shit heap.

Tovarisc

we are like two weeks away from him supporting nazis and now we like him? is this a joke?

I wouldn't say we like the man, but this all is quite amusing behavior from him. Post-Nazi love I mean.

Him going and embracing leaders of Democratic party is weird, desperate and odd all at same time. At least it resulted in good money for Harvey and hopefully Florida rebuild efforts.

Lowmelody

Use and then abuse this fucker. Pelosi and Schumer are doing their job and doing it well but I wont abide praise regardless of what he is tricked into doing.

Kyzer

Banned
People are always extrapolating about some sort of bigger picture with Trump and his actions when in reality he doesn't think 5 minutes ahead. I really dont think anything has changed nor that it has any rhyme or reason or strategy to it if it has

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I don't believe it will happen, but it would fucking hilarious if he decided to cozy up to democrats because he blames the GOP for him being a lame duck.

Eegah

When I allow myself to forget about the damning repercussions of his presidency, this becomes some of the most entertaining drama (scripted or otherwise) I have seen in my life.

Trump is fucking garbage and I cannot forgive him for his actions........

BUT

I do believe that people are capable of redemption.... at least one.... shit I know Ive used mine...

If Trump makes a heel turn in the vainest of reason, I will still accept the good. How can you not if it moves the country in a better way. (Minimum wage, better tax, immigration)

Im not naive, I considering the possibilities of the unpredictable.

So the guy that said to end the filibuster so Republicans can get everything passed they want and ended daca this week had a change of heart? Bullshit. This sounds like their source is Trump and he is wanting to come off as the good guy.

1vkknc.jpg

Trey

Do some decent things before you are thrown unceremoniously out of the White House, ideally in cuffs.

Bronx-Man

Banned
It's called a face turn when the villain starts working with the heroes, marks.

He can still get fucked either way.

Mortemis

Banned
So the guy that said to end the filibuster so Republicans can get everything passed they want and ended daca this week had a change of heart? Bullshit. This sounds like their source is Trump and he is wanting to come off as the good guy.

Yeah, this "he just wants to be loved" narrative is bullshit.

Tovarisc

WaPo
‘Trump betrays everyone’: The president has a long record as an unpredictable ally

President Trump prepared for the pivotal meeting with congressional leaders by huddling with his senior team — his chief of staff, his legislative director and the heads of Treasury and the Office of Management and Budget — to game out various scenarios on how to fund the government, raise the debt ceiling and provide Hurricane Harvey relief.

But one option they never considered was the one the president ultimately chose: cutting a deal with Democratic lawmakers, to the shock and ire of his own party.

In agreeing to tie Harvey aid to a three-month extension of the debt ceiling and government funding, Trump burned the people who are ostensibly his allies. The president was an unpredictable — and, some would say, untrustworthy — negotiating partner with not only congressional Republicans but also with his Cabinet members and top aides. Trump saw a deal that he thought was good for him — and he seized it.

The move should come as no surprise to students of Trump’s long history of broken alliances and agreements. In business, his personal life, his campaign and now his presidency, Trump has sprung surprises on his allies with gusto. His dealings are frequently defined by freewheeling spontaneity, impulsive decisions and a desire to keep everyone guessing — especially those who assume they can control him.

He also repeatedly demonstrates that, while he demands absolutely loyalty from others, he is ultimately loyal to no one but himself.
and more https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...f64768-94a8-11e7-89fa-bb822a46da5b_story.html

Top Bottom