• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Axios: Microsoft misses Xbox Game Pass subscriber target for second year

https://www.axios.com/2022/10/27/microsoft-xbox-game-pass-miss

This is information based on a new financial filing from Microsoft. Yesterday, at the WSJ conference, Phil Spencer had stated that Game pass was profitable, but that growth was slowing on console.
  • Game Pass achieved 28% growth for the fiscal year ending June 30, 2022, but the target was 73% growth rate. This fell short of a target tied to the pay of CEO Satya Nadella and other top executives. This is the second year in a row Game Pass has missed the growth target, having exceeded the target in 2020.
  • Microsoft wasn't specific about subscriber target counts, but claimed delivery of "over 25 million Game Pass subscriptions."
  • The success of Game Pass is pertinent to the Activision deal, as the UK's Competition & Markets Authority has suggested that if Microsoft puts Call of Duty on Game Pass, there could be "substantial lessening of competition" in "multi-game subscription services." Microsoft denies that putting Call of Duty on Game Pass would require blocking the deal, arguing that PlayStation could put better exclusives on its own subscription service or even offer Game Pass on PlayStation.

Jennings

I'm sure people are just waiting for the upcoming new releases that weren't available in 2022. 2023 should blow the doors off. Of course, I plan to actually purchase all the games I'm looking forward to, bit it's possible I'll be in the minority if these suckers are charging $70 for buggy 30fps base games.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
This fell short of a target tied to the pay of CEO Satya Nadella and other top executives.

BALDY GO BRRRRRRRR

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.u7.jpg

• Microsoft wasn't specific about subscriber target counts, but claimed delivery of "over 25 million Game Pass subscriptions."
And remember last year when everybody thought GP had 30 million subs? lol
It seems like Halo and Forza could only do so much, but we need to wait until titles like Starfield, which I think will have a similar reception to Elden Ring, start hitting the service and see how this impacts the subscriptions.
No wonder why they want COD in there.

Interfectum

I'm sure people are just waiting for the upcoming new releases that weren't available in 2022. 2023 should blow the doors off. Of course, I plan to actually purchase all the games I'm looking forward to, bit it's possible I'll be in the minority if these suckers are charging $70 for buggy 30fps base games.
I disagree. Why would you own an Xbox and not get Game Pass? Plenty of games have been on the service this year. Also, with all of these cloud apps appearing across phones and TVs one would assume cloud only subs should be skyrocketing towards that promised billion gamers. What's going on there?

My theory is cloud demand is non-existent and the market for game subscriptions is smaller than people think. It's why Phil Spencer is ALREADY pivoting towards free to play.

Seems they've been stuck on about 25 mil users for a while. Seems like that is the roof at the moment unless big games come or more consoles get sold somehow. Alas we must wait...

feynoob

Banned
How were they even expecting 73%

That can't be because of Starfield or Forza since they should have already been aware they were late 2022 titles at best
They messed up their plan, by jumping on full next gen games.
So old xbox one users are now useless.
I can't play some gamepass games, because I don't own xsx/s.

They will be below the target for a while, until the console is at higher userbase.

Jaybe

So that confirms they take the growth number at the end of June (their fiscal year end), as the read for executive compensation. Doesn’t surprise me they committed to releasing Starfield, Redfall, and Forza Motorsport by June 2023 at their last event. Not sure why their target was so high to begin with though. Possibly had unrealistic expectations for Halo Infinite when they were set.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
They messed up their plan, by jumping on full next gen games.
So old xbox one users are now useless.
I can't play some gamepass games, because I don't own xsx/s.

They will be below the target for a while, until the console is at higher userbase.

You can play all Series S|X exclusive Game Pass games on Xbox One via Cloud Gaming.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
The delay of Starfield, recession/inflation concerns, and a slow year for AAA titles I'm sure all factor in.

2023 and beyond should see much, much larger growth though.
Starfield and Redfall were both pushed out of this year leaving not much for big first party exclusives. I imagine it's a slow year for the industry at large to be honest.

feynoob

Banned
Steam gamers tend to keep games in their own ecosystem. I'd imagine more people will buy Starfield on Steam than sub on GPPC to play it.

It can co-exist but will always be niche at best.
You misunderstanding gamepass.

The service is a sub. You can play it, without buying the games on pc.

This is very beneficial for pc users.

With 10$ a month, they can test those games. If it's good, they can buy it on steam.

Hence both platform can coexist. Gamepass won't make them not buy the game on steam. It will encourage them to do so.

Interfectum

You misunderstanding gamepass.

The service is a sub. You can play it, without buying the games on pc.

This is very beneficial for pc users.

With 10$ a month, they can test those games. If it's good, they can buy it on steam.

Hence both platform can coexist. Gamepass won't make them not buy the game on steam. It will encourage them to do so.
Worthless to do so when Steam has a fantastic refund policy.

tmlDan

The delay of Starfield, recession/inflation concerns, and a slow year for AAA titles I'm sure all factor in.

2023 and beyond should see much, much larger growth though.
I agree with your points but I am not so sure about much larger growth.

I actually think the growth they'll see with starfield will be on the PC side - much like what they announced yesterday.

The series X/S audience just isn't there yet and might not be even next year.

Last edited:

Pallas

Gold Member
Create a 'First party only' tier, and fully become third party and release all your games on PlayStation and Switch.
It’s good to dream sometimes, I guess.

On the topic, that is sone crazy expectations but 2020-2022+ have been turbulent times plagued by a lot of uncertainly and economic instability so it’s also not surprising they didn’t hit their goal.

Jennings

I disagree. Why would you own an Xbox and not get Game Pass?

Too expensive for the number of games I'd play on it. Every year I sign up for the $1 90 day trial and ever end up playing anything. Typical Gamepass games either aren't my type of games or they're so old I already bought them on sale before they were added to the service. The one singular exception is Forza Horizon 5, a game I don't own but would play on Gamepass, but it's not worth $15 a month when it will already be deeply discounted soon.

No idea about the other stuff you mentioned, it's not a noteworthy feature for my personal needs.

Top Bottom