• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) impressions thread

Aeana

The game is out on the Japanese eShop right now. In lieu of an OT, we can talk about it here. We'll move over to the OT whenever it's made.

Aeana

My first thought before I even got to gameplay is how hilariously bad the story sequences are. Maybe it's a good thing that this is supposedly being cut back for the English release.

Is japanese version includes english subtitle?
Nope.

maxcriden

My first thought before I even got to gameplay is how hilariously bad the story sequences are. Maybe it's a good thing that this is supposedly being cut back for the English release.

Any option to turn off the text overlay during gameplay? Inquiring duckrolls want to know. Thanks!

Aeana

Any option to turn off the text overlay during gameplay? Inquiring duckrolls want to know. Thanks!

Yep, you can shut off dialog display entirely by pressing X.
You can also disable the voices for the dialog that comes up while you're playing.

Miker

I'm hoping this is good. I just busted out Mega Man Zero DS Collection yesterday just because I missed how good the controls were.

I'm not sold on the weird tag-and-zap gameplay from the videos, but hopefully impressions are positive.

Aeana

Wow, the live dialog is sooo annoying. I'm so glad you can shut it off. It's just constantly in your face taking up screen space.

random25

I'm hoping this is good. I just busted out Mega Man Zero DS Collection yesterday just because I missed how good the controls were.

I'm not sold on the weird tag-and-zap gameplay from the videos, but hopefully impressions are positive.

Wow we're the same. Just finished MMZ1 again yesterday and started MMZ2 afterwards.

BriBri

No crouch, no 3D, tons of speech, first boss is cool but repeated again a minute later and have cramp in my hands now. Not at all instant when compared with the awesome 3D Thunder Blade. Hopefully will play a bit better after sleeping and expectations are lessened.

Edit: if anyone is reading this first then there IS 3D, I was mistaken. It is pathetic though.

duckroll

I asked them about an option to turn off the annoying text overlay stuff earlier, and they finally replied on Twitter. The official word is that we apparently won't have to worry about text during gameplay in the NA version, because they have trimmed the text during localization. They couldn't dub the game, and they knew that some players didn't like too much talking, so they've made cuts since the English text and the Japanese voice wouldn't line up anyway.

Sounds like a clear victory for gameplay, and a maybe a loss for people who somehow love to have tons of story in their 2D action platformers? :p

linko9

No crouch, no 3D, tons of speech, first boss is cool but repeated again a minute later and have cramp in my hands now. Not at all instant when compared with the awesome 3D Thunder Blade. Hopefully will play a bit better after sleeping and expectations are lessened.

Wait, there's no 3D? Seriously?

I asked them about an option to turn off the annoying text overlay stuff earlier, and they finally replied on Twitter. The official word is that we apparently won't have to worry about text during gameplay in the NA version, because they have trimmed the text during localization. They couldn't dub the game, and they knew that some players didn't like too much talking, so they've made cuts since the English text and the Japanese voice wouldn't line up anyway.

Sounds like a clear victory for gameplay, and a maybe a loss for people who somehow love to have tons of story in their 2D action platformers? :p

I hate to have the option ripped away from me, after all MMX had dialogue that you couldn't skip (you could speed through it though) and it was a fantastic game.

Marche90

EDIT: ^Oh, ok

No 3D? How come? The eShop screenshots show 3D for gameplay...

Aeana

There is absolutely 3D.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
About to download this. I should be smart and wait for what sounds like the superior U.S. version next week, but I'm bored so why the hell not?

Seriously reading these tweets why would you COMPLETELY cut out most of the story in the US version? Yes the option to turn it off on replays is awesome and would be used, but the first time though I want to experience the game AND it's story.

Edit: I didn't even know about this game until like an hour ago, and the trailer got me really excited for the gameplay AND story... and apparently we're not getting that story in the US release.

Aeana

I finished the first stage, and I'm not really impressed so far. I don't feel like there's any finesse to the combat. I tag enemies 1-3 times with the peashooter and then I stand still holding R waiting for their healthbar to drain. I really, really hope there's more to the game than this later on.

Rhapsody

Banned
I finished the first stage, and I'm not really impressed so far. I don't feel like there's any finesse to the combat. I tag enemies 1-3 times with the peashooter and then I stand still holding R waiting for their healthbar to drain. I really, really hope there's more to the game than this later on.

That's what I was going to ask on. If the gameplay feels less exciting or gets stale because of that.
Guess I'll look forward to later impressions on the game.

That's even worse than having text in the middle of the screen all the time.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
The zapping effects kind of obscure the screen and make it harder to notice/see incoming enemy fire, especially when their shots are the same color as your lightning. Not a fan of that

I recently played through MMZ 1 - 4, and loved them.

I tried ZX 1 and just about killed myself.

I might try ZXA, since I heard it was better.

Anyone know how Gunvolt compares to MMZ/ZX?

Somehow I feel that the combat mechanics is a bit focused on speed running/time attack the stage.

That's even worse than having text in the middle of the screen all the time.

Yep, I don't even know how to handle this situation?

Not buy the US release? Badger their twitter complaining about the gimped version of the game? Pray that someone fan translates the game on youtube? Wait until the 3DS is modded and hope someone does a "add the text back in" patch.

:/

Aeana

Somehow I feel that the combat mechanics is a bit focused on speed running/time attack the stage.

You can't kill enemies if you tag them and move them too far off-screen. So if that were the case then if you wanted to get score you'd still have to stop and hold R to use your lightning attack after tagging everything on the screen.

Lyte Edge

I can see why BriBri thought there was no 3D. It's very subtle and might as well be kept off. And holy SHIT at that text. I haven't paid too much attention to this game and as soon as the game started, I could see why Duckroll hates the text overlays so much.

Aeana

I can see why BriBri thought there was no 3D. It's very subtle and might as well be kept off. And holy SHIT at that text. I haven't paid too much attention to this game and as soon as the game started, I could see why Duckroll hates the text overlays so much.

Press X and free yourself.

Oh I hate the water stage... Submerged = cannot use the lightnings lol
You can't kill enemies if you tag them and move them too far off-screen. So if that were the case then if you wanted to get score you'd still have to stop and hold R to use your lightning attack after tagging everything on the screen.
I guess there's a minimum kills/score to get the highest rank just like in MMZ? Watching last week's stream, that guy plays quite fast & manage to maintain high score

Lyte Edge

This game seems incredibly easy. The energy field that you generate not only homes in on anything that you shoot, but also acts as a shield and stops most enemy fire. I ran through the first level, avoiding a lot of the traps and some of the enemies, then destroyed the boss without getting hit, since the energy field absorbed all of the missiles it shot with ease. I like the game design, but it felt like the game was on auto pilot. Hope it gets a lot more challenging.

Aeana

I've completed four levels now, and there's actually some interesting gimmicks with the electric field. There's one area where you're under water and can't use it, another where it's dark and you can't see unless you use it, etc. And enemies have gotten a wee bit harder too. We'll see how things go forward.
The bosses are okay but so far they seem more like exercises in dodging than actually attacking since you can attack from anywhere.

Lyte Edge

Messed around briefly on the forest stage and the difficulty seems a bit better now. Not laughably easy, but still easier than I would have expected.

The frame rate definitely drops here and there. Weird since this is pretty much a DS game visually.

I've completed four levels now, and there's actually some interesting gimmicks with the electric field. There's one area where you're under water and can't use it, another where it's dark and you can't see unless you use it, etc. And enemies have gotten a wee bit harder too. We'll see how things go forward.
The bosses are okay but so far they seem more like exercises in dodging than actually attacking since you can attack from anywhere.

Good to know. I had to quit playing-- battery is too low and I need to get to sleep anyway.

Aeana

I actually found the twin divas boss to be pretty difficult.
You have to kill them at exactly the same time while dodging them both.
I died a couple of times before winning. It might be easier with upgraded equipment, I actually haven't bothered to do that yet.

currently watching the stream and the game looks good. By the way maybe it is me, but his lightning sphere attack reminds me of ky kiske ride the lightning super.

So is there any equipment/upgrades/level ups etc? Or is it more like old school mega man where you just use the skillset you have (aside from boss powers of course)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dying to download the game when I get home. So tempted to log into the office wifi and download the game at work... >_>

It's that subtle I had my slider on full and didn't notice it.

I totally noticed the 3D when I played. Not sure how you missed it (unless it's been toned down a lot since the BitSummit demo)

For those playing, what kind of text do you get while playing?, is random stuff about gameplay, is about the characters, the world..... I want to know what kind of info is going to be removed from the NA version.

zroid

Banned
Yep, you can shut off dialog display entirely by pressing X.
You can also disable the voices for the dialog that comes up while you're playing.

Hallelujah!

I suppose without English VA I won't understand any of the dialogue in that case, but if it's as bad as you say maybe that's for the best. :p

Top Bottom