B. Johnson to suspend parliament, to prevent it from stopping hard brexit

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
The Queen will be asked by the government to suspend Parliament days after MPs return to work - and a matter of weeks before the Brexit deadline.
The BBC's political editor, Laura Kuenssberg, says it will make way for Boris Johnson's new administration to hold a Queen's Speech - laying out the government's future plans - on 14 October.
But it means MPs are unlikely to have time to pass any laws that could stop the prime minister taking the UK out of the EU without a deal on 31 October.
A No 10 source said: "It's time a new government and new PM set out a plan for the country after we leave the EU."
The idea of shutting down Parliament - known as prorogation - has caused controversy, with critics saying it would stop MPs being able to play their democratic part in the Brexit process.
Laura Kuenssberg said only a small number of government ministers knew about the plan and it was going to cause a huge row.
The UK is due to leave the EU on 31 October, with or without a deal.
Mr Johnson has said he wants to leave with a deal, but it was "do or die" and he was willing to leave without one rather than miss the deadline.
That position has prompted a number of opposition MPs to come together to try to block a possible no deal, and on Tuesday they announced that they intended to use parliamentary process to do so.
But if Parliament is suspended on 10 September, it will only give them a few days next week to push for their changes.

#democracy

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
While I do think that it's time UK makes its choice towards Brexit one way or another, shutting down the parliament at such a critical moment doesn't seem very democratic (not that the active Parliament has proven useful on that topic)

Mar 30, 2012
BoJo wouldn't have to play games like this if MPs weren't hell bent on frustrating the will of the people and keeping us in the EU (either overtly or through the back door). Thank goodness we finally have someone in the top job to get on with it.

I expect a General Election shortly after 31 October, with the Tories winning a majority on the back of the Brexit Party crumbling, job done. Conservatives already have a ten point lead.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
Could someone elaborate on "unlikely to have time to pass" bit? So technically it is still possible for them to act?

UPDATE: never mind, parliament would have several days to react.

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Could someone elaborate on "unlikely to have time to pass" bit? So technically it is still possible for them to act?

UPDATE: never mind, parliament would have several days to react.
Yes, and just like they have several days to react, so does the hard-brexiters have several days to cause delays to run the clock out.

llien

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2017
So we could see British version of "heated discussions":

?

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Seems like this happens normally:

Parliament is normally suspended - or prorogued - for a short period before a new session begins. It is done by the Queen, on the advice of the prime minister.
Parliamentary sessions normally last a year, but the current one has been going on for more than two years - ever since the June 2017 election.
The last two times Parliament was suspended for a Queen's Speech that was not after a general election the closures lasted for four and 13 working days respectively.
If this prorogation happens as expected, it will see Parliament closed for 23 working days.

The outlier is not the prorogation, but the length of the current session (and the length of the closure?). I couldn't find if there were other times when Parliament was closed for 23 (or more) working days before.

Did some digging and it seems like the circumstances are indeed unusual, so I don't know if this is as anti-democratic as people want to make it sound. Appears to me that politicians are using the games of the political system to play politics. Nothing new.

This is only the second time since 1945 that Parliament has been asked to sit for a two-year session. The other was in 2010/12, following the formation of the Conservative-Liberal Democrat coalition government.

Hayfield

Nov 3, 2013
Bristol, England
Fucking legend! So satisfying to have a leader standing up for our country for once. For far too long now the remainers and the MPs have tried to ignore the result of the biggest democratic exercise in one of the oldest democracies in the world. It's about time they all accepted living and being an adult in a democracy means votes don't always go your way. Or they can continue to whine like pathetic babies it's actually been quite entertaining.

Also I voted to leave the EU INCLUDING NO DEAL. So don't anyone fucking dare tell me no one voted for no deal.

Last edited:

Ellis

Dec 3, 2018
London, UK
Fucking legend! So satisfying to have a leader standing up for our country for once. For far too long now the remainers and the MPs have tried to ignore the result of the biggest democratic exercise in one of the oldest democracies in the world. It's about time they all accepted living and being an adult in a democracy means votes don't always go your way. Or they can continue to whine like pathetic babies it's actually been quite entertaining.

Also I voted to leave the EU INCLUDING NO DEAL. So don't anyone fucking dare tell me no one voted for no deal.
The vote was to stay or leave. There was no mention of deals on that voting paper, or anything else for that matter. We have absolutely no say in the conditions of how we leave the EU, becuase we wasn't actually given the option.

Alx

Jan 22, 2007
Also I voted to leave the EU INCLUDING NO DEAL.
No you didn't. The question was "leave or remain", the conditions of leaving were not part of the referendum, whatever you pictured in your head while making your vote.
(that's a major issue with referendums actually, you reduce a complex decision to a yes/no question, while leaving in a grey area how you'll apply the results )
*e : what Ellis Ellis said.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: llien

Acidizer

Jun 7, 2018
BoJo wouldn't have to play games like this if MPs weren't hell bent on frustrating the will of the people and keeping us in the EU (either overtly or through the back door). Thank goodness we finally have someone in the top job to get on with it.

I expect a General Election shortly after 31 October, with the Tories winning a majority on the back of the Brexit Party crumbling, job done. Conservatives already have a ten point lead.
The people (sheeple) were blatantly lied to in the campaign. What they voted for wasn't true or possible (350m a week for NHS - it can't and won't see a fraction of that), it was a dirty, tainted, vague referendum and should be voided. The people shouldn't have even been consulted - politicians themselves had no idea what was what. Enough time has passed, that result isn't accurate anymore. Also bear in my that no-one actually voted for a no deal brexit.

Boris just fucked himself here, he is narcissistic enough to think he's being clever.

Last edited:

Hayfield

Nov 3, 2013
Bristol, England
The vote was to stay or leave. There was no mention of deals on that voting paper, or anything else for that matter. We have absolutely no say in the conditions of how we leave the EU, becuase we wasn't actually given the option.
I voted to leave, meaning I voted to trigger article 50 which was set out clearly, I knew that once triggered there was a 2 year negotiation, if those negotiations failed then we would leave with no deal. So by voting to trigger article 50 I voted for the chance of a no deal. Stop blaming leavers for your lack of knowledge going into the vote. I knew what the process was and no deal always had a huge chance of happening. A vote leave was a vote to leave including all options. You lot are so self obsessed you believe you can tell me it was a vote to leave including all options apart from the one you don't want!

Reactions: JimmyJones

Ellis

Dec 3, 2018
London, UK
I voted to leave, meaning I voted to trigger article 50 which was set out clearly, I knew that once triggered there was a 2 year negotiation, if those negotiations failed then we would leave with no deal. So by voting to trigger article 50 I voted for the chance of a no deal. Stop blaming leavers for your lack of knowledge going into the vote. I knew what the process was and no deal always had a huge chance of happening. A vote leave was a vote to leave including all options. You lot are so self obsessed you believe you can tell me it was a vote to leave including all options apart from the one you don't want!
I gave you a one line sentence stating that you didn't vote for anything other than to leave or stay in The UK. Not sure where you're getting the rest of that shit from.

Hayfield

Nov 3, 2013
Bristol, England
I gave you a one line sentence stating that you didn't vote for anything other than to leave or stay in The UK. Not sure where you're getting the rest of that shit from.
Sorry I regrettably took my issues with what I was seeing on sky news as I was typing and projected them onto you.

I feel that by not having any specific leave options meant I was open to all options, and that's how I voted. I don't see why I would have just arbitrarily ignored the no deal possibility and I don't see why anyone else voting leave would have.

Reactions: Ellis

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Sorry I regrettably took my issues with what I was seeing on sky news as I was typing and projected them onto you.

I feel that by not having any specific leave options meant I was open to all options, and that's how I voted. I don't see why I would have just arbitrarily ignored the no deal possibility and I don't see why anyone else voting leave would have.
Well if people after the fact changes their mind and think they wrong-voted, that is on them not anyone else.

It is refreshing to see a politician to go hardline on "the peoples vote counts, I will push it through no matter what".
It is very rare and we need more of that.

Acidizer

Jun 7, 2018

The vast VAST majority of people had no fucking clue what they were voting for. Not even the foggiest. They did it on a vague sense of recapturing past British glories , "taking back power" and stopping immigration - completely oblivious that things like the NHS, that their old stupid asses rely on, would fold within a day without immigrants. Extremely cringeworthy.

You see them on the news getting asked about it and all they can do is parrot regurgitated, debunked tabloid headlines. They look like a deer caught in headlights. Sad shit.

dan76

Aug 7, 2018
I don't fully understand this, but hasn't he done this to prevent other mp's taking no deal off the table? If that's the case - as much as I would hate to leave the EU without a deal - I can understand him doing it as there's no point trying to renegotiate a new deal if we don't have the threat / option of leaving without a deal. That's obvious.

There may be no point in trying to renegotiate anyhow, what do I know. But trying to renegotiate with it impossible for us to just leave seems pointless.

Btw, I voted remain, but enough of this shit. Let's get a bit of optimism around here and these remainders who keep whining on need to man up and move on. We got loads of other shit we need to sort out.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Jun 7, 2018
People that voted differently from me were
1, stupid,
2, uninformed
3, russian bots

I don't recognize the result of the referendum since I didn't get what I wanted. Therefore it is illegitimate.

Also have lots of sand in my vagina.

Grow the fuck up.
I didn't vote, and wouldn't vote in any second referendum.

No-one said anything about Russian bots.
Stupid? You bet you're ass.
Uninformed? Unquestionably. It was shown that even Brexit ministers - the actual fucking MPs in charge of this - had no clue what they were talking about. The average pensioner on the street? Fucking oblivious.

The referendum campaign was proven to be dirty and based on lies. Even the farmers that voted for Brexit are getting shafted by no deal.

Reactions: Unknown Quantity

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I don't fully understand this, but hasn't he done this to prevent other mp's taking no deal off the table? If that's the case - as much as I would hate to leave the EU without a deal - I can understand him doing it as there's no point trying to renegotiate a new deal if we don't have the threat / option of leaving without a deal. That's obvious.

There may be no point in trying to renegotiate anyhow, what do I know. But trying to renegotiate with it impossible for us to just leave seems pointless.

Btw, I voted remain, but enough of this shit. Let's get a bit of optimism around here and these remainders who keep whining on need to man up and move on. We got loads of other shit we need to sort out here.
You will be fine. Don't let the EU to further humiliate you.

We in AUS as well the Yanks are here to sign rapid trade agreements.
Only thing you will notice is after a few weeks you will have much higher quality foods and meat for a lower price in your local store.

• Love
Reactions: Hayfield

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
I didn't vote, and wouldn't vote in any second referendum.

No-one said anything about Russian bots.
Stupid? You bet you're ass.
Uninformed? Unquestionably. It was shown that even Brexit ministers - the actual fucking MPs in charge of this - had no clue what they were talking about. The average pensioner on the street? Fucking oblivious.

The referendum campaign was proven to be dirty and based on lies. Even the farmers that voted for Brexit are getting shafted by no deal.
You didn't even vote and then you get all worked up because the people that DID actually vote wrong-voted?
That is beyond pathetic.

Reactions: slugbahr

Acidizer

Jun 7, 2018
You will be fine. Don't let the EU to further humiliate you.

We in AUS as well the Yanks are here to sign rapid trade agreements.
Only thing you will notice is after a few weeks you will have much higher quality foods and meat for a lower price in your local store.
That chlorinated chicken and GM crops? Yank food has very low standards.

We have our own fresh meat, no need for that swill to be flown halfway across the world.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gashtronomy

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
Who's getting worked up? I'm telling you the facts mate.
It is really really important to you that UK does not leave the EU. So much so that you confirm that people that voted leave are both uninformed and stupid in your opinion.
Then, like, you didn't even bother to vote at all in the referendum. WTF?

Sorry mate, you have no say in the matter anymore. Just deal with it.
This is beyond pathetic.

At least the people that voted at least tried to participate in the process. You just couldn't be fucking bothered
to vote and now you complain, because sand in vagina?
Jesus christ. Grow up.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Jun 7, 2018
You just repeated yourself wholesale, in lieu of any substance. This is the stupidity we are dealing with.

Yes, I have sand in my vagina.

Mar 30, 2012
lol you don't get to complain either way if you didn't bother to vote

Good job uncritically regurgitating a bunch of remainer talking points though. Could you tell me exactly what is wrong with chlorine washed chicken, since you're so educated? It seems good enough for about 400m Americans. What's so bad about it?

Reactions: Hayfield

Acidizer

Jun 7, 2018

Good job uncritically regurgitating a bunch of remainer talking points though. Could you tell me exactly what is wrong with chlorine washed chicken, since you're so educated? It seems good enough for about 400m Americans. What's so bad about it?
lol take a look at America. It's full of fat fucking obese slobs that fly about in mobility scooters. Yes, lets bring that cheap shite to the UK.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
lol take a look at America. It's full of fat fucking obese slobs that fly about in mobility scooters. Yes, lets bring that cheap shite to the UK.
Nice try to divert thread on a tangent.

We are not talking about America right now. We are talking about YOU and that YOU didn't even bother to vote but now you are all upset that the vote YOU COULDNT BE FUCKING BOTHERED TO PARTICIPATE IN did not go your way.

Fuck off Troll.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

American manufactured food is awful. American here. Don't buy our food but it's bad all around the world. For instance, the fish you're eating is probably far worse than our chicken or beef.

Decline in food quality is one of the most important things the West is facing right now. Our entire agricultural system needs an overhaul (the paradigm has been the same since World War 2).

Aug 29, 2018
Bartow, Florida, USA
Your children are rooting for you UK, and will step in to make certain this apocalyptic nonsense doesn't happen.

I've said it before, I'll even import one of those jars of that yeast shit you people spread on your toast in solidarity. God knows I won't eat it, but I'll buy one.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
American manufactured food is awful. American here. Don't buy our food but it's bad all around the world. For instance, the fish you're eating is probably far worse than our chicken or beef.

Decline in food quality is one of the most important things the West is facing right now. Our entire agricultural system needs an overhaul (the paradigm has been the same since World War 2).
Sounds good to me. More market for AUS food exports.
(Our produce is seriously good. In particular lamb. No other country comes even close to our quality of lamb meat.)

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2012
You could have just said "I don't know". More honest, and quicker!

Did you know that bagged salads in the UK are already washed in chlorine? Of course you fucking didn't.

Weird how it's always chlorine washed chicken isn't it? Almost like youve heard scaremongering remainers constantly mentioning specifically that on the news, and you decided to look into it...not at all!

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Your children are rooting for you UK, and will step in to make certain this apocalyptic nonsense doesn't happen.

I've said it before, I'll even import one of those jars of that yeast shit you people spread on your toast in solidarity. God knows I won't eat it, but I'll buy one.
Buy it anyway and use it for cooking. :lollipop_winking: High in glutamates and therefore makes sauces and broths incredibly savory.

Sounds good to me. More market for AUS food exports.
(Our produce is seriously goo. In particular lamb. No other country comes even close to our quality of lamb meat.)
Yeah when I buy lamb it's either NZ or AUS, and it's delicious. Additionally, a lot of the agricultural innovations (from the last ~20 years) I've been learning about either came from Australia or were vetted on Australian soils. You lot even invented the tractor! Good stuff.

Last edited:

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach

It is called vegimite and it is vile. I am from AUS and I will never eat it.
Brought it home for the kids long time ago as a joke and they started crying.

Don't import it. Don't eat it. It is our version of "see what what we can make johnny foreigner eat".

GamingKaiju

Oct 24, 2014
I really hope no deal doesn't happen, it'll be a shitstorm if it does.

Let's just hope that a agreement is reached at the 11th hour and Brexit goes ahead. Enough with the messing around now, we've had years of it now. Enough is enough we need to leave that is what the Country voted for.

No body and I mean no body will stop you from buying British grown meat or poultry or British goods for that matter. You don't have to buy American stuff I make sure all of the meat I consume is British and hasn't travelled that far and I can't see no reason why that would change with Brexit.

Acidizer

Jun 7, 2018
You could have just said "I don't know". More honest, and quicker!

Did you know that bagged salads in the UK are already washed in chlorine? Of course you fucking didn't.

Weird how it's always chlorine washed chicken isn't it? Almost like youve heard scaremongering remainers constantly mentioning specifically that on the news, and you decided to look into it...not at all!
Nothing wrong with chlorine in itself, but it is required because food standards and animal welfare is so low in the US.

It should be done right in the first place, so there is no need to wash away nasty shit with disinfectant just to save money.

Last edited:

Jmarshall

Mar 28, 2018
Nothing wrong with chlorine in itself, but it is required because food standards and animal welfare is so low in the US.

It should be done right in the first place, so there is no need to wash away nasty shit with disinfectant just to save money.
This isn't true, the reason why the USA allows chlorinated washing is because they take the view of protecting the end consumer requires it. While the EU puts more onus on the end consumer taking care of their meat, which is why UK guidelines recommend cleaning all surfaces that have had raw chicken on it to prevent bacteria spreading; this isn't necessary in the USA.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
This isn't true, the reason why the USA allows chlorinated washing is because they take the view of protecting the end consumer requires it. While the EU puts more onus on the end consumer taking care of their meat, which is why UK guidelines recommend cleaning all surfaces that have had raw chicken on it to prevent bacteria spreading; this isn't necessary in the USA.
Agree, the US and its FDA are a lot more strict and more regulatory on how to protect the end-consumer than the UK.
Their focus is much more on consumer protection than whatever the focus is in the UK.

Does it work? Is it meaningful?
Well, compare numbers of Creutzfeldt-Jakob patients in UK vs US over the last 30 years.

Last edited:

Acidizer

Jun 7, 2018
This is complete bollocks, and laughable. Trust me, the Yanks aren't going to go to the extra expense (which racks up to a major cost) of using chlorine if all they can do is tell the consumers to wipe their table... wtf.

sahlberg

Gold Member
Oct 27, 2017
Moore Park Beach
This is complete bollocks, and laughable. Trust me, the Yanks aren't going to go to the extra expense (which racks up to a major cost) of using chlorine if all they can do is tell the consumers to wipe their table... wtf.
This is not about american food exports.
It is about YOU being too fucking lazy to vote and then sperging out like a chimp because the vote did not go the way you wanted.
Get a grip.
You have no voice in the matter anymore.

Last edited: