Baby, It's Cold Outside won't be played on some radio stations, including CBC

Feb 21, 2018
Baby, It's Cold Outside won't be played on some radio stations, including CBC

Baby, It's Cold Outside is getting a chilly response from Canadian radio stations this year.
CBC said Tuesday it will join at least two other broadcasters in the country, Rogers Media and Bell Media, who have pulled the controversial holiday favourite out of their rotations this year.
That comes as the duet, written back in 1944, faces renewed scrutiny over what some say are inappropriate lyrics in the wake of the #MeToo movement.

Earlier this week, Cleveland radio station WDOK-FM announced it stopped playing the song in response to listener feedback. Some people took issue with lyrics where one singer is trying to persuade the other to stay inside, with exchanges that include, "What's in this drink?" and "Baby, don't hold out."
Bell Media spokesperson Scott Henderson said the company, which runs two 24-hour Christmas stations in Vancouver and Ottawa, didn't include the Christmas tune on its playlists this year. But it also told stations it doesn't plan to reintroduce the song in the future.
'2 camps regarding this issue'
CBC public affairs head Chuck Thompson said CBC Music will be pulling the song from its rotation as of midnight.
"Song lyrics are always open to interpretation, and we fully acknowledge there are two camps regarding this issue," he said.
"While we consider both points of view, and in light of the times we are living in, we have chosen to remove the song, for the time being, from two of our holiday music streams."
Rogers runs a number of all-Christmas music stations, including 98.1 CHFI-FM in Toronto and 98.5 CIOC-FM in Victoria.
Spokesperson Caitlin Decarie says the broadcaster also removed the song this year, but declined to outline how it reached the decision.
"There are so many wonderful songs that celebrate the holiday season," she said.
A holiday classic
Baby, It's Cold Outside has been considered a holiday classic ever since it won the Academy Award for best original song in the film Neptune's Daughter, starring Esther Williams and Ricardo Montalbán.
It's since been covered countless times by singers such as Ray Charles and Betty Carter, Idina Menzel and Michael Bublé, Dolly Parton and Rod Stewart, and Emilie-Claire Barlow and Marc Jordan.

Concern over the song has existed for years, leading to many reinterpretations of the lyrics.
Lady Gaga and Joseph Gordon-Levitt flipped the gender roles in a performance for the pop singer's 2013 holiday special with the Muppets.
And two years ago, Minnesota couple Lydia Liza and Josiah Lemanski rewrote the lyrics to include lines about consent, such as a response to the woman's line "I ought to say no, no, no" with the man saying: "You reserve the right to say no."
The Woke strike again. People completely misinterpreting a song, ganging up together to make their own interpretation the original and then the song being censored.

So MeToo is killing womens jobs, killing xmas songs, whats next? MeToo is going to kill more things than mellinials at this point.

Sep 4, 2018
if you look into the history of the song, the origins are really quite innocent:

During the 1940s, when Hollywood celebrities attended parties, they were expected to perform. In 1944, Frank Loesser wrote "Baby, It's Cold Outside" for his wife, Lynn Garland, and himself to sing at a housewarming party in New York City at the Navarro Hotel. They sang the song to indicate to guests that it was time to leave. Loesser often introduced himself as the "evil of two Loessers" because of the role he played in the song.

Garland wrote that after the first performance, "We become instant parlor room stars. We got invited to all the best parties for years on the basis of 'Baby.' It was our ticket to caviar and truffles. Parties were built around our being the closing act." In 1948, after years of performing the song, Loesser sold it to MGM for the 1949 romantic comedy Neptune's Daughter. Garland was furious, and wrote, "I felt as betrayed as if I'd caught him in bed with another woman."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby,_It's_Cold_Outside
also the line "What's in this drink?" which people now take the Cosby meaning of, was an old-timey way of being self conscious while letting your hair down. as in "excuse the behavior, im high rn". if you watch any movie made before 1960, people are drinking constantly.

Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
Is already there. Some of the originators have been calling out Malory and Sasour and the other leadership.

They will eat themselves. When you play the victim olympics there is only 1 gold so you have no choice but to turn on itself to prove who is the most woke.
I would say there’s no gold, only participation ribbons, but everyone still wants to compete as though the gold exists because it’s human nature.

Aug 12, 2008
Joyless fucks continue to attempt to make everyone miserable with them.

I'd like to think it is a result of not understanding courtship behavior of past generations, however I remember when the same types made overtures of rape regarding the famous post-WWII anonymous kiss image.

It's just people who can't control their own emotions, so everyone must suffer.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2013
Canada
I don't see the issue, I mean, you're still able to make your own radio station and get a broadcasters licence and play the song yourself, correct? The government isn't coming into your home and deleting the files from your devices, right? So what's the big deal? It's just 2 of the largest broadcasters in the country, and publicly funded radio stations deciding for us that this song is not politically correct, and shielding us from it's traumatic effects.

Jan 9, 2018
So very stupid. Anyone with half a brain and even a fraction of romantic experience knows full well that the dance between men and women revolves rather pointedly around the playful push / pull of suggestion and refusal--and knows that final refusal is a very different thing from the fun banter of the woman in the song as she equivocates about leaving. I mean, this is the very core of romantic play. What has happened to the brains of these people, and what the hell do their relationships look like?

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2013
So very stupid. Anyone with half a brain and even a fraction of romantic experience knows full well that the dance between men and women revolves rather pointedly around the playful push / pull of suggestion and refusal--and knows that final refusal is a very different thing from the fun banter of the woman in the song as she equivocates about leaving. I mean, this is the very core of romantic play. What has happened to the brains of these people, and what the hell do their relationships look like?
Swiping left or right.

Jan 9, 2018
Swiping left or right.
Kill me.

I didn't mature in the era of full-blown internet dating, but I can't imagine the soullessness of determining the level of mutual romantic interest with another before even meeting them. The whole joy and excitement around new romance is found in the little shared cues with another person you've met that indicate a possible connection, followed by the moment someone finally makes the leap and breaks in with the date proposition, and then the anticipation of finding your footing in early, still ambiguous dates as you lead up to a first kiss, etc.

I mean, the mystery and uncertainty of not fully knowing the other person's level of intention or interest--followed by the way they might playfully lead you around a bit--is precisely where the joy comes from. Knowing everything contractually up front isn't romance, it's a legal arrangement. I'm going to assign a mandatory course of classic romantic film sequences for today's youth.

Last edited:

brap

Jan 9, 2018
Kill me.

I didn't mature in the era of full-blown internet dating, but I can't imagine the soullessness of determining the level of mutual romantic interest with another before even meeting them. The whole joy and excitement around new romance is found in the little shared cues with another person you've met that indicate a possible connection, followed by the moment someone finally makes the leap and breaks in with the date proposition, and then the anticipation of finding your footing in early, still ambiguous dates as you lead up to a first kiss, etc.

I mean, the mystery and uncertainty of not fully knowing the other person's level of intention or interest--followed by the way they might playfully lead you around a bit--is precisely where the joy comes from. Knowing everything contractually up front isn't romance, it's a legal arrangement. I'm going to assign a mandatory course of classic romantic film sequences for today's youth.
Spoken like an old fart LOL. Us badass millenials just fuck. No time for kissing. Open relationships are great too!!
im just kidding. god i hate being a millenial.

Musky_Cheese

Community Liaison
Oct 23, 2016
Congratulations! You've finally played yourself in a circle.

The song is about female empowerment. The hesitation of doing what you want versus doing what society expects you to do. The concern of what people will think of you versus being the person you want to be.

The woman has to consider her action because of expectations society placed on women at that time. The man doesn't have to. He can be who he wants without the baggage women experienced in comparison. Look at the fucking lyrics.

It's not a fucking rape song. It's a fuck it I want to be me song.

It was "woke" decades before you pretend to currently be.

Dec 3, 2013

The song is about female empowerment. The hesitation of doing what you want versus doing what society expects you to do. The concern of what people will think of you versus being the person you want to be.

The woman has to consider her action because of expectations society placed on women at that time. The man doesn't have to. He can be who he wants without the baggage women experienced in comparison. Look at the fucking lyrics.

Bingo!

May 17, 2018
Hello Miss nice to meet you, I'd like to look at breasts for a moment or two with your consent. May I touch your hand? About mid way through the movie I'm going to put my arm around you, are you ok with that?

I'm confused

Feb 21, 2018

Exactly.

The irony of taking a song about womens sexual liberation and twist it into a rape anthem.

Mar 12, 2014
I want off this crazy train. The people pushing for this are pathetic turds in the punch bowls. I hope they someday find the humorless and joyless society they so desperately want and are never heard from again. I think Mars would suit their fancy. Though who knows. They'd probably take offense at the color of the dirt and starting reeing about the evil big bang that made it that color. Screw all of these people.

Oct 24, 2017

Exactly people actually thinking that he drugs her is utterly ridiculous. They are being flirty all the time and the only things that makes her unsure is the social opinion on it during that time. In the end she finally decided that society should not keep her down and that it is her own decision to stay the night with the one she loves.

May 17, 2012
Canada
My mom was complaining about this today. She couldn't believe people would actually be mad about a song like this or that anyone would actually listen to the complaints.

I find it incredibly weak that these companies bow down to such light pressure on social media or are just outright virtue signalling by joining these lame groupthink bans on something only a small segment of society deems "problematic". They are letting a few fuckwits on Twitter socially engineer us. They are enablers to this disgusting behavior. If they didn't even respond to this nonsense it would go away.

Feb 3, 2018
USA
I see plenty complain about this all the time so who is “we”
Our society and culture has gotten softer. Its pretty clear to see... Safe spaces, PC culture, over parenting, forced diversity, sensitivity training, toxic masculinity, social media, outrage culture, ADHD, entitlement... etc ….etc.... etc

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018
What gonna go next? Rudolph The Red Nosed Reindeer?
Amusingly, for Rudolph it's pretty much the opposite scenario. The basic outline of his story (character has weird attribute; it makes him an outcast; ends up using that attribute to save the day and prove everyone wrong) has become the standard plot of just about every damn children's movie and book on the shelf today. Because... it's about the marginalized, get it? And how anything square-peg about you is really just another fabulous, unique dance waiting to enthrall the world.

Last edited: