• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back 4 Blood early access and open beta impressions

matty3092

Played a bit of this on XSX tonight wtf happened with the aiming in this game its floaty as all he'll and the aim assist is insane there is times I'm aiming at a zombie and it'll just lock onto its feet lol really not a fan of the controls tbh and having melee on RS was a poor choice imo

Gamezone

Gold Member
I think it's really underwhelming compared to L4D, and it doesn't even have offline mode with bots. Also no split screen I suppose. I don't get why we have to move to many steps back in modern shooters.

Kev Kev

Played a bit of this on XSX tonight wtf happened with the aiming in this game its floaty as all he'll and the aim assist is insane there is times I'm aiming at a zombie and it'll just lock onto its feet lol really not a fan of the controls tbh and having melee on RS was a poor choice imo
i honestly wish theyd just get rid of the iron sights all together, and throw out the auto aim along with it, dont even make it an option. the original l4d didnt have iron sight if i recall. it really takes me out of the action by making me focus on one target like that. and yeah the melee being on r3 is an utterly bafling choice. and on top of that they dont give us option to map buttons on the controller 🤦‍♂️ i will say i like the over all feel of the controls, and being able to clamber everywhere is great so far.
On easy with two Bots on the boat damn that is a little bit to hard. Hope they will balance this in the final Game!!
the key is to stack as much stamina cards as you can before you get to that mission, and then when you get there and blow up the big red tank, just haul ass across the bridge, through the boat and to the convoy. dont stop unless you have to pop a zombie or two, just keep sprinting all the way. the more characters you can get across that first section, the easier the second section will be.

cripterion

Are you playing on Console/ using a Controller? I thought it shooting felt great on my PC

I played it on pc. I fist had to turn up the mouse sensivity quite a notch to get conformtable with shooting and like someone said up there, the controls definitely feel "floaty".

Kev Kev

I played it on pc. I fist had to turn up the mouse sensivity quite a notch to get conformtable with shooting and like someone said up there, the controls definitely feel "floaty".
there is a dead zone slider bar in the options on the console version. i turned both up to 5 (one for each stick) and that cured the floatiness. dont know how that works on pc tho...

Melon Husk

Janky, compared to L4D and underwhelming considering Turtle Rock's experience.

Their previous title, Evolve, had a more polished beta and the game had more character too. Of course it's not all the same people there now as 5 years ago. I think their old character designer works on Apex Legends now.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
A game that came out 10 years too late. Every single design in it, besides being a cheap l4d2 copy with a cheap roguelike card system copy is too outdated. We're in 2021 and we still have 10 min levels with loadings between them with 0 dismemberment. That being said, it's not a bad game to play, it's enjoyable. 60 euros considering its coming to game pass is retarded af. If this does not come with at least 10 acts then it can fo.

Vermintide 1 was perfect, Vermintide 2 got too crazy with the loot pieces and shit. The enemy variety was way better but getting trash loot and all inventory management was out of hand, turned into diablo l4d or someshit.

Kev Kev

Vermintide 1 was perfect, Vermintide 2 got too crazy with the loot pieces and shit. The enemy variety was way better but getting trash loot and all inventory management was out of hand, turned into diablo l4d or someshit.
The loot boxes are horrible, agreed, but the game is insanely more polished and well made than vermintide 1. I went back and try to play the first one not too long ago and it felt horrible compared to 2.

Concern

Game is fun with friends but it sucks playing as cleaners. Aiming feels off and movement sluggish. Zombies are much more fun to play as imo.

Im in day one through gamepass. Otherwise I wouldn't pay full price for this because I feel it won't have legs for very long.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
What I find outdated is the taste of some people : )

anderson cooper dreamy sigh GIF

Haggard

Banned
Game is downright unplayable on anything higher than easy with randoms. Ppl are just too stupid to strategize

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Might as well burn money if you pay for this full price day one.

Progression system and throwing out fucking Dark Souls bosses in a linear corridor isn't exactly what I wanted from the "talents" who made L4D. I suppose Valve was the true talent all along between this and Evolve, Turtlerock showing their true colours.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
Got to play the Beta again for a few more hours last night. From my PS5 I was in a party with a Xbox Series X an original launch Xbox One and a PC. The cross play just works. No hassle. Everything was smooth, voice chat was great. The game is actually pretty fun too, but that cross play just blows my mind how solid they got it, especially for the Beta. Way to go turtle rock 👏👏👏

gamer82

I only played a few levels and then didn’t go back to it, I was looking forward to this game but the whole card thing doesn’t interest me and I had no idea what was going on with it you didn’t get enough time with it either. Maybe I will revisit it but not on launch I’m cutting back till Xmas I have a back log of PS4 games to get through before wasting more cash.

Boneless

Just watched a bit of this:

I don't really understand, it looks like a L4D2 mod, at best... It's all so uninspired.

Aion002

I played once.

The pvp is kinda cool, the pve is meh.

I would never buy it... But since it will be on game pass, I might try it again at launch.

It's fun, but idk there's something missing. Uninspired might be the word for it. It really is just a L4D clone with a card system and upgrades.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Definitely feels like a L4D clone.

Ironically, I had a lot more fun after all three of my online team mates dropped after the first map and were replaced with bots. 🤷‍♂️

Justin9mm

It's generic at best!

The only other game I played like this was Zombie Army 4 and I didn't really care for that either. It gets boring real quick!

Needlecrash

I really wanted to like it. But it felt.....off to me. The AI isn't smart, dismemberment was minimal, the characters talk WAY too much, gunplay felt inaccurate and not as impactful and the presentation just felt generic.

Neolombax

Played a few PVE missions on easy I think, it was okay. I think I'll stick to Black Ops zombies. Had more fun playing that the outbreak mode compared to this. Its a good game, the card system is an interesting take on perks, but I personally didn't feel like investing more time in it.

jeffyjaixx

I heard from a friend that if someone buys the ultimate edition with season pass and DLC content and hosts a game, the other 3 can get access to that content as well? Can anyone confirm and verify this?

Paltheos

I played with my game group tonight. Fun time. Our biggest criticism is the specials - too many of them, they're not clearly called out when they appear, and (imo) they're a little too bulky. We were playing on a higher difficulty though.

engstra

Played through the campaign portion last night. We got this really weird glitch or something which meant on the final level no enemies spawned so we loaded up the gun and shot it five times and then cue the final cutscene. That was not supposed to happen right?

matty3092

Played through the campaign portion last night. We got this really weird glitch or something which meant on the final level no enemies spawned so we loaded up the gun and shot it five times and then cue the final cutscene. That was not supposed to happen right?
Yeah this exact same thing happened to me too originally I thought once u shot it then the zombies would come but nope never happened lol

Top Bottom