• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back in the late 90s early 2000s what was the median age of Internet users?

AMSCD

I was thinking that it might have been teens and young adults. Yes adult parents might have had the internet, but their children probably spent the majority of the time on it. Or am I just biased by my experience?

Cattlyst

I started using the internet in the mid to late 90s, probably around 96 or 97. I would have been around 15 to 16. No adults I knew were really interested and it was mainly peers that knew who were online savvy so you may be onto something. Then again my view may also be skewed because I was a teen and mainly knew other teens.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Can’t speak for all online users, but for forums it was about ~21. I distinctly remember a lotta dudes were in college or military. In the late 90s it was likely younger, more like teenagers.

nkarafo

For me it wasn't about the age. Being an internet user back then required some basic computer skills and attention span. Not too much but enough so that it worked like a toll gate, preventing the most low attention span idiots to participate. During those few years before the internet became fast enough and using a computer easy enough (and before smartphones) the internet was the best place to be. A wild west, sure, but much better than the current, social media infested, mainstream space that's worse then the real world.

Top Bottom