• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Back of BOTW Wii U in NA misprints what controllers are supported.

So in North America The Breath of the Wild on Wii U has the following controller options listed on the back of its box:

hzohemqf7qiy.jpg

Unfortunately you can't play with only a single Wii Remote.

The only supported controllers are the GamePad and the Pro Controller. As seen on the back of the PAL Wii U copy.

TN9M7F6

Even if you use the Pro Controller on some occasions the game will prompt you to use GamePad for Gyro.

Too bad they don't have support for this control scheme available in Splatoon.

2875204-2546845048-tumbl.jpg

(Yes that's an official image)

I actually own this:

51gsHZxMkVL.jpg

So you wouldn't have to switch to the GamePad.

I don't think there'll be a second Wii U run so there may never be a corrected version released.

Deku Tree

I was hoping to use my classic controller pro too. No reason not to support it really. Has anyone tried to use a classic controller Pro on the Wii U version in NA?

Eolz

I wonder if they can patch in support. Would add a lot of value to the device if it starts to get in trouble. They're bluetooth and the switch has bluetooth right?

They could, but why would they? Not the same tech, and Wii virtual console could use the Joycons without any issues.
They really want to get rid of this legacy brand, for good reasons.

Skyzard

Banned
They could, but why would they? Not the same tech, and Wii virtual console could use the Joycons without any issues.
They really want to get rid of this legacy brand, for good reasons.

A lot of people own the Wii, and bought it for multiplayer.

IMO the main selling point of the Switch down the line would be local multiplayer games. To tell people that their existing controllers would work would add a decent amount of benefit I think. In case it comes to that anyway.

It would mean having to add in controller mapping on the game end (or maybe through the Switch itself through a custom button mapping option) but it's not like all the available controllers work for every game anyway in case some games can't support it.

LAA

Not a misprint as such but I did notice the Zelda amiibo didn't mention the switch on the back of the boxes ha ha, just 3DS and Wii U.

kunonabi

I'd have loved a wiimote+nunchuk option. Probably would have ended up with a better scheme than what we got too.

TheMoon

I wonder if they can patch in support. Would add a lot of value to the device if it starts to get in trouble. They're bluetooth and the switch has bluetooth right?

They said "not yet" when asked about support for these controllers or something. The implication was that they might add support in the future.

Letting you use old controllers is "confusing and terrible"

If only the Wii U used those $100 joy cons that don't work.

The fact that you're never really sure what controller schemes will work for each game is definitely a problem. If they mandated all controller setups were required to work for all games, then yes, the advantage would be clear. Instead, it's always just guesswork and controllers that absolutely should and could easily work are randomly not supported on a game by game basis.

I see this 100% as a huge negative to the Wii U's brand and clarity, and I think the Switch's new exclusive controller schemes are absolutely preferred.

I see this 100% as a huge negative to the Wii U's brand and clarity, and I think the Switch's new exclusive controller schemes are absolutely preferred.

But the Switch is the same.

The GamePad comes with the system and is supported by all games like the Joycons.

The Pro Controller is not supported by several Switch games.

Also now there is three different modes that may or may not be supported per game:

For instance 1,2 Switch:

Switch-Gameplay-Modes.png

Or Voez

Eolz

A lot of people own the Wii, and bought it for multiplayer.

IMO the main selling point of the Switch down the line would be local multiplayer games. To tell people that their existing controllers would work would add a decent amount of benefit I think. In case it comes to that anyway.

It would mean having to add in controller mapping on the game end (or maybe through the Switch itself through a custom button mapping option) but it's not like all the available controllers work for every game anyway in case some games can't support it.

A lot of people had PS2 pads, PS3 pads, 360 pads...
It's good to leave that behind at some point. It didn't help the WiiU.

If it's a price problem, I'm sure we'll get cheap third party controllers soon as usual.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Lol wait so the Classic controller doesn't work? I guess I won't bother digging it out then, Gamepad is fine.

cireza

Banned
When playing with the Pro Controller, I had an instance where I had to use the gamepad to solve a puzzle. I had no choice.

Just for your information.

Joeku

Ughhhhhhh

Yep, just had this happen this morning. Stuff like aiming the "binoculars" and the bow work with the right stick, but I got to a puzzle in a Shrine where I had to tilt a thing around and it effectively said "Please use the Gamepad for this section".

I'd rather not, but okay, game. Thanks for that.

Top Bottom