• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Backwards Compatibility Poll

How would you describe your situation and opinion towards BWC

• Playstation Owner Wants BWC

Votes: 78 35.8%
  • Playstation Owner Don't Care about BWC

Votes: 24 11.0%
  • Playstation 4 Owner who played on a PS3 in the last 2 years (implied wants BWC)

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • Xbox Owner USES BWC

Votes: 53 24.3%
  • Xbox owner who doesnt care about BWC

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • PC owner, What is Backwards compatibility?

Votes: 19 8.7%
  • Other Wants

Votes: 12 5.5%
  • Other Don't care

Votes: 9 4.1%
  • Other Uses

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

93xfan

Banned
I never had an Xbox until Xbox One so BC was a key feature for me and it has been great. Not every great past game has made it to PC and not all of them have made it to One yet, but plenty have and several of the really good ones were even massively enhanced. Some old games are even better on Xbox One than they are on PC due to crappy PC port stuff that never got worked around.

I’ve invested so much more heavily in PS4 games and would have to rebuy a number of them if I went with just Xbox next gen.

But BC is that important to me, that I would gladly do it.

I love playing games like Oblivion, SSX3, Banjo Nuts and Bolts, Soul Calibur 2, Sonic Adventure, Sonic 3, Ninja Gaifen Black, Perfect Dark, Halo Reach, and Hard Corps Uprising.

I believe Sony is really testing the waters for how little effort they can put in and still be profitable.

Vawn

Banned
Really got bummed with Sony not at least having PS1 games BC. Have over 100 of those purchased from PSN.

As much as I love new games, I have a lot of nostalgia for and love loading up games like Jumping Flash 2, Metal Gear Solid and Twisted Metal.

Yeah, that's inexcusable. PS4 is the only console (including handhelds) Sony has ever released that can't play PS1 games.

TacosNSalsa

I have PC, PS4 and Xbox and I use the backwards compatibility all the time . Ninja Gaiden Black is particularly good. I can't remember what I played the original on ..think it was an old a$$ tube tv .So seeing it in 1080p and moving fast as f*ck is quite nice . If this is what I can expect from BC going forward then bring it on!

#Phonepunk#

Banned
PC user. basically i don't care about backwards compatibility. there are a zillion ways to play old games, from the og consoles to emulators. if you want to play old games then use the old hardware, since that's the most accurate experience anyways. it would be nice to be able to play old games on new hardware but it also holds back future HW development.

honestly i don't care that much for BC. feel like the "Netflix for games" is an unrealistic pipe dream. if you want to play every NES and SNES and N64 game ever, you can make a Retro Pi for like $30.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
I don't really care about BC, but I appreciate it exists for those who do. I believe as we move to digital only marketplaces, it should absolutely be the standard.

Last edited:

pr0cs

What a fucked up poll.

BC on the next set of consoles needs to be mandatory. Any that don't have full bc of all my previous purchases simply won't be bought.
Can't help but think the xbone would not have done so poorly out of the gate if they would have had bc at launch

Susurrus

This poll sucks, too many options I fall under. Maybe a checkbox could have been better?

I have limited space on my shelf and in my controller cabinets. Xbone, PS4, PS3, Switch, Wii U.

I didn't pick up and Xbone until it had enough BC that I could disconnect my 360. I made an exception for the Switch because of its small size. Primarily a Playstation gamer, but not exclusive. (I also have a PC hooked up to the same TV, but obviously not on the shelf and a moot point for this article.)

I use my Xbone's BC. Have many times. I still play my PS3 fairly often, hell I just played Devil May Cry 1 from the HD collection right before Kingdom Hearts 3 came out.

This is mostly due to backlog reasons. Wii to Wii U was easy due to backwards compatability and I didn't have any remaining Gamecube games in my backlog.

I am now done w/ all Wii and Wii U games, and my Wii U is hooked up primarily because my wife ziptied cables behind my TV and I don't feel like dealing w/ that mess since I move in a few months anyway. New place, it won't be hooked up at least to my main TV.

My PS3 still has a ton of games I want to play, partially but not completely due to PS Plus so it will stick around.

I just kind of wrapped up my 360 games into my Xbone game list since they're treated that way on the system (which I think is awesome).

If PS5 doesn't play at least PS3 or PS4 games, I'm gonna be hard pressed for space and am probably going to delay buying one. If it plays at least my remaining backlog for one of those systems, then by all means, I'll swap that out in a heartbeat. It doesn't even have to support physical as the only physical game in my backlog is the Doom VFR that came w/ my PSVR set.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Yes it's extremely important, but the problem is you don't realise how much you need it until the desire to play a classic pops up.
But I'll just say one word to prove my point.
Konami-Logo-resized.jpg

Last edited:

Rayderism

I definitely want BC on the PS5. BC is what will determine how soon I get a PS5. Preferably all previous Playstation consoles, but especially PS1/2/4....I could live with just keeping the PS3, since it had mongoloid hardware that's hard to emulate. I really want to kick out the non-HDMI PS2 in favor of being able to play my physical PS2 disks through HDMI without going through some 3rd-party upscaler/switcher. Getting to be too many Playstations under the TV, would like to knock that back some. Realistically though, I only expect PS4 BC.

I can't find the thread...not sure which forum it was even on at this point....but there was a rumor posted that Sony plans to lock BC behind a "PS+ Premium" paywall. I really hope that's one rumor that is absolutely false. If it's going to have BC, just give it to me out of the box....and I want it to support physical as well as digital. Though it would be inline with my feeling that they will probably make BC complicated.

Calibos

Why any PS4 owner wouldn’t want their PS4 library on PS5 is insane to me? Straight contrarian or something. Hating just to hate. Nuts.

Considering how many GaaS games there are nowadays, it would be really weird having to switch to the old console to keep playing Anthem or whatever.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I am an Xbox user, I do use bc from time to time, but since I keep all my old systems, it is just "nice to have". On the other hand, if PS5 had bc, it would be a good bonus for me, since I do not own a PS4.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Why any PS4 owner wouldn’t want their PS4 library on PS5 is insane to me? Straight contrarian or something. Hating just to hate. Nuts.
Yeah it like they see those new games for PS4 that are due to come out or are currently playing and saying "yeah I ain't gonna be playing this shit again"

TLZ

Banned
I want all consoles to have full BC for all their previous systems, if at least for game preservation. Old systems can die and hard to find or expensive. Also would be great if they automatically output them at the latest current resolution used, plus other improvements to breath new life into them.

ethomaz

Banned
The poll should be something like...

Do you prefer Sony/MS investing in new games or BC?

Of course both are ideal but in a world where you have fixed budget to everything then I strong prefer to invest all the money in new games.

If with the investimento in BC I can have one or more new game (sequel or new IP) then I choose the new games.

Last edited:

baphomet

Not enough options.

I own them all and couldn't care less about bc.

The only way id be interested is if they're actually upgraded on the newer consoles. Better rendering resolution, higher frame rates, better effects, etc.

Otherwise don't care.

That being said both upcoming consoles will have bc.

AndrewRyan

I'd rather see backwards compatibility for hardware. Controllers, arcade sticks, and certain accessories.
This is the main reason I switched to PC from Playstation. I have two racing wheels from the PS3 and a nice Turtle Beach headset that aren't compatible with PS4, but work great on PC. That combined with a PS3 digital library that also doesn't run on PS4 made switch. Still play PS4 for exclusives but otherwise it's all PC now.

While we're talking BC can I just say how awesome the PS3 phat BC was for the PS2. You get all games upscaled to 1080, wireless controllers, built in wifi, virtual memory-cards and a hard drive. It was a glorious PS2!

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’m not sulking over not having BC on current gen and am happy with current and new games and obviously BC should be standard which is so frustrating (I voted option one)

Tenaciousmo

It is not that I don't want them to do it. it is more coming from a place that BC is not something i'm actually looking for when buying a new console. I'm buying a new generation to play newer titles. support for previous gen is a nice add-on that is not mandatory to me.

Last edited:

Calibos

Yeah it like they see those new games for PS4 that are due to come out or are currently playing and saying "yeah I ain't gonna be playing this shit again"

Exactly.

It is not that I don't want them to do it. it is more coming from a place that BC is not something i'm actually looking for when buying a new console. I'm buying a new generation to play newer titles. support for previous gen is a nice add-on that is not mandatory to me.

When PS4 games on PS5 look better, and more importantly, have solid or improved frame rates, we will see how you feel. God of War with sharper details and an actual rock solid 60 FPS sounds amazing.

Daymos

PS4 owner, I just play my Switch & 3DS though.

My interest in backwards compat. is having a ps5 that's just like a switch and let's me download my ps4 digital games onto it to play on the go. Since I don't care about 4k (or better graphics than base-ps4) and don't like most popular cinematic games or Sony 1st party games that's about the only way I'm going to buy a ps5.

Last edited:

JCK75

Consoles are no longer using wonky hardware that is too complex to offer it, they are now just using standard PC Hardware and I expect they will continue to do so, meaning BC will be easy from now on.

Shifty

Assuming PC players don't know or care about back-compat, SMH.

It you think about it, PC is all backwards compatibility, and don't forget emulation.

I just want Ninja Gaiden Black available unmolested on as many platforms as possible to be honest.

lucius

This generation BC was more important for MS because 360 library is one of the best, Sony will need BC for PS5 with PS4 they should try to get PS1 on there also. Yes new games are better but they are kind of giving the finger to long time supporters who invested in their games if they do it again it will be a mistake.

t_wilson01

I've been a PS+ subscriber for several years so I now have a lot of "free" games in my library. Being able to play them on a future console would definitely be nice.

ethomaz

Banned
I've been a PS+ subscriber for several years so I now have a lot of "free" games in my library. Being able to play them on a future console would definitely be nice.
That is a good topic for a thread.

Do you actually play the PS+ free games?

If I played 5 this gen it is a lot because I have no time to play any due new games releases.

t_wilson01

That is a good topic for a thread.

Do you actually play the PS+ free games?

If I played 5 this gen it is a lot because I have no time to play any due new games releases.

It's funny that you ask. I was going to say something about that, but then left it out.

I have played very few of those games, even though there are some titles that really interest me. I keep thinking that one day I'll get around to at least try every one of them.

JimiNutz

Banned
I didn't used to really care that much about backwards compatibility (although it is nice to have a whole series that spans multiple generations on one console e.g. Resident Evil 1-7).

This is the first generation where I have bought a lot of digital games though and I'd be bitterly disappointed if PS5 didn't offer full backwards compatibility with all PS4 games (I also expect them to run at PS4 Pro settings).

If PS5 doesn't offer this I will still buy one eventually but it will delay my purchase significantly.

Tenaciousmo

When PS4 games on PS5 look better, and more importantly, have solid or improved frame rates, we will see how you feel. God of War with sharper details and an actual rock solid 60 FPS sounds amazing.
Except my main point was when the ps5 hits, it will have ps5 level sharper details and 60 fps and all that on NEW GAMES I HAVENT PLAYED

ethomaz

Banned
ITS JUST PLAIN NUTS TO NOT WANT AN EXTRA FEATURE THAT CARRIES YOUR LIBRARY FORWARD.
If it taking investment from new games yes.

New games should always be the focus and where the money should be used... not BC or useless features like.

Last edited:

Bankai

I still regularly play on my PS3!

There a still lots of great exclusives that I want to play and/or just played on it. Like Puppeteer, Siren, Folklore, El Shaddai, MGS 4, God of War HD collection and Resistance + Killzone series. Playing Ni No Kuni 1 was a joy as well, all on PS3.

Backwards compatibility would be nice & I find it important in general (game preservation), but... not so important to me personally. I have no problem keeping my PS3 hooked up and expanding my PS3 disc catalogue.

The Snake

I still regularly play PS1/2/3 as well as 4 and while it works out pretty well (I have a monster of a setup in my living room) I really do wish Sony would release a console that could do all of 'em. I realize it's more profitable for them to forego the feature and instead re-sell the games to us on their digital market, but I would actually be willing to pay extra for some sort of Super PS machine that could accept the old stuff (as well as legacy controllers for fightan games).

If the PS5 is announced with BC I'll buy it day one, but as it stands it'll probably be the first console where I wait until mid-life to pick it up.

StormCell

I'm a PS4 Pro owner who cares a lot about BWC. It could be a PS5 deal breaker if I'm expected to repurchase PS4 classics to play on PS5. I like having access to things I bought, and I was really surprised and disappointed to find that PS4 didn't have any of the stuff that was on PS3 (like PS2 games and such that I'd purchased on PS3).

For all the troubles MS has had with XB1 this generation, nailing BWC is likely to win my purchase in the future.

Ozrimandias

The poll needs to be delimit, like:

- Mainly interested in BC
- Partially interested in BC
- No interest at all in BC

Right now its like a political survey........

LMJ

I've owned pretty much every console and I would be lying if I said I used the backwards capability more than a handful of times, still a nice feature to have though.

That being said as we are making far more digital purchases, and development has moved to a similar coding pipeline (ie X86) I think it's more than reasonable to expect at least last gen BC.

One area that Microsoft has been remarkable has been on their BC front, I would hope both PS and Nintendo are taking notes...

MetalRain

As a PC gamer I think console users made choice years ago, cheaper but shorter lived platform. I still can play games from 2001 on "same" platform, while paying to increase capability. However in current landscape the worry is whether Steam still exists in 2029?

ethomaz

Banned
Holy shit. Face palm.
How?

To you prefer companies working in BC instead new games?

Facepalm.

I'm not against options since it didn't steal resources from what really matters for a next generation... new games.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Yes I want it. The PS3 was different because everything about that console ran like crap. The OS was sluggish, the games were sluggish, the controller was uncomfortable. If there was a easy way to play PS3 games on PS4, I could finally dump that sludge on eBay.

PS4 is not sluggish and frustrating to use, so I wouldn't mind keeping it set up, but there's also just the space issue. I still play early PS4 games so why would I stop right when I get a PS5?

Nymphae

Banned
I'd rather see backwards compatibility for hardware. Controllers, arcade sticks, and certain accessories. I'm not asking for full compatibility, but maintaining compatibility with the old stuff is significantly easier than it used to be. There's really no excuse.

Yeah this is pretty important to me, I want to buy a new fightstick, but am kind of worried that if I do right now, it won't work with PS5.

dorkimoe

I never cared about BC; until xbox game pass. It makes it so much easier. Because I am not going to go out and buy old games. So I have found myself playing way more BC games than ever before.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
How?

To you prefer companies working in BC instead new games?

Facepalm.

I'm not against options since it didn't steal resources from what really matters for a next generation... new games.

The reality of the situation is that I'm much more likely to buy whichever new console has BC so that I can replace my existing current-gen console. There are tons of factors that work into this decision for a lot of people. Personally, BC is my number one feature priority.

If the PS5 has great new games but no BC, and the Xbox Two has BC and no great games - I'm going to buy the Xbox. (Sure, I'm an outlier since I'll eventually buy a PS5 also since I usually buy every console).

Top Bottom