• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

badly censored games

EctoPrime said:
What version of Streets of Rage 2 is being used on Xbox Live as it seems to be censored compared to the Pal Megadrive version. You cant see up Blazes dress.

They're using the US Genesis version.

atomico said:
21lttol.gif
30jntaq.gif

The censorship's not so bad, really (the original version seemed too close to being racist for them to release it here unedited), but the difficulty level... you get one life and no continues in the Genesis version! So cruel...

kswiston said:
Ya, all sexual assaults, not just rape (which only covers forced intercourse/fellatio). Numbers for rape alone are still 1 in 6 according to this study:

http://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/172837.pdf

Most rapists are dates, or current/former partners, no strangers. That's why so few people are convicted. It's hard to prove in those cases that consent was not given (unless the sexual assault was particulary violent), so the perpitrators are usually not convicted. Half the time women don't even bother reporting sexual assault.

To bring this back on the topic of games, as long as sexual violence against women remains at unacceptably high levels in North America, I'm in support of console makers effectively banning game designers from glorifying it in videogames. The problem shouldn't be completely ignored in game media, but there's no reason for allowing your game avatar to go around raping people.

In real life, there are some instances where you would be justified in killing someone (defense of yourself or family for example). There are zero instances where you'd be justified in raping someone.

And issues like that, but for race instead of gender, are why DJ Boy was edited, among others.

Though really, you can edit something out, but for some of the things you're talking about (for games, I mean)... should it have ever been there to begin with?

The sheer number of H-games that are about rape is definitely disturbing.

Brannon said:
*Looks at western RPG's of the time*

WHAT?! Japan you got some 'splainin to do...

Those Western RPGs were mostly on PCs, though. While consoles had a few (mostly ports), they were simpler and much less popular. Western console gamers mostly did want simple things, I think...

I was just checking out some stuff on censored games and one of the main ones I noticed was No More Heroes, this game although is a Japanese game is entirely censored for the Japanese market.

Here are some examples - Youtube vids - *SPOLIERS* Death Scene Comparisons -

Harvey
Holly
DestroyMan

- As a non-Wii owner and this game being a Wii title I never knew the game was actually that gruesome :lol

XenonOxide said:
I was just checking out some stuff on censored games and one of the main ones I noticed was No More Heroes, this game although is a Japanese game is entirely censored for the Japanese market.

Here are some examples - Youtube vids - *SPOLIERS* Death Scene Comparisons -

Harvey
Holly
DestroyMan

- As a non-Wii owner and this game being a Wii title I never knew the game was actually that gruesome :lol

wow, the Holly one in the japanese version totally ruins that scene.

Top Bottom