• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BAFTA Awards - British Academy Games Awards Winners in 2016

Raylan

Banned
British Academy Games Awards Winners in 2016:

Original Property: Until Dawn

Game Design: Bloodborne

Artistic Achievement: Ori and the Blind Forest

British Game: Batman: Arkham Knight

Debut Game: Her Story

Game Innovation: Her Story

Mobile & Handheld: Her Story

Music: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Audio Achievement: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Performer: Merle Dandridge / Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

Persistent Game: Prison Architect

Family: Rocket League

Multiplayer: Rocket League

Sport: Rocket League

Story: Life is Strange

Best Game: Fallout 4

Winners: Publishers/IP/Devs/Games
1. Sony Interactive Entertainment - 5 Awards
2. Psyonix - 3 Awards
2. Sam Barlow - 3 Awards
4. Introversion Software - 1 Award
4. Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment - 1 Award
4. Microsoft - 1 Award
4. Bethesda Game Studios - 1 Award

Link

All good and deserving choices, and then Fallout 4 out of nowhere. No idea how they came to that when the year was filled with such strong contenders.

Persistent Game is a weird category, and I'm not sure what Prison Architect winning tells me at all about what that category actually is.

Great to see Her Story, Rocket League and Life is Strange gettin theirs!

AHA-Lambda

Fallout 4 as best game

giphy.gif

Those honestly seem like weird choices to me, but whatever works for them.

BAFTA has always had weird gaming tastes frankly. Destiny won best game last year >_>

Was in the entrance some hours ago when exiting the egx. Super rich old white men mostly not devs but CEOs with their wifes.
Some games there deserve it (until dawn, project league,ori...) but come on witcher 3 not even appearing, and fallout winning over it or bloodborne.

Turkoop

Banned
I mean I was totally satisfied with Rapture, Rocket League, Life is Strange and Until Dawn - but NO FUCKING AWARD TO CDPR ?! WTF is wrong with them.

Nbz

Nintendo winning nothing. Not surprised, it is the UK we're talking about. They hardly acknowledge Nintendo exist here, it sucks.

mclem

BAFTA has always had weird gaming tastes frankly. Destiny won best game last year >_>

It does feel that of late, "Best Game" has boiled down to "Most impressive blockbuster". Which isn't a criteria without merit in itself, but it does feel somewhat at odds with the impressive level of diversity seen elsewhere in the award allocation.

I suspect the Bethesda guy was absolutely sincere when he said that he didn't expect to win after seeing lots of games he was competing with take home other awards.

Nintendo winning nothing. Not surprised, it is the UK we're talking about. They hardly acknowledge Nintendo exist here, it sucks.
Splatoon and Mario Maker were nominated on a number of fronts, but I think in every category in which they were included, Rocket League won.

IvorB

Best Game: Fallout 4...doesn't win any of the other individual awards lol

From reading the BBC article about it it seems the best game award is voted on by the membership but the other categories are selected by a judging panel.

Griss

Fuck, everything was going so well until the very last one.

Fallout 4? The same one I played? Get the fuck out of here.

nib95

Banned
From reading the BBC article about it it seems the best game award is voted on by the membership but the other categories are selected by a judging panel.

That might explain it then. I actually think all the other winners are decent picks with the exception of best game.

IvorB

That might explain it then. I actually think all the other winners are decent picks with the exception of best game.

Was Fallout 4 taking the best game Bafta the oddest result of the night? Arguably, but you have to bear in mind that while a panel of judges produced the shortlist, the top prize was determined by the wider Bafta membership taking a vote. That wasn't the case for the other categories, which were chosen by individual judging panels. The Fallout series has been nominated six times and this is its first win. So, while this post-apocalyptic retro-future holds the attentions of its fans, it seems it didn't grab the "experts" to the same degree.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-35992992

Top Bottom