• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldo: The Guardian Owls launches August 27 for PS4, Xbox One, Switch, PC, and Apple Arcade

R6Rider

Gold Member
0:52
Oh My God Reaction GIF by reactionseditor

Maogp

Ah, almost forgot, NAPS team is formed of only two people. So yes, Baldo is made by only two people, 5 years of development, in a reality (Italy) where making video games is tremendously hard (no government funds, no investors, etc etc). so only respect for Naps Team and I can't wait to play Baldo.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I started this today after looking forward to this for a long time and I have to say so far I'm not impressed. The dialogue is extremely long winded so far, it plays clunky, the map and quest tracking sucks, you can't jump or climb, and at least to start it's just not fun. I'll see if it gets better as I progress but so far I'm pretty disappointed. Granted, not that far in.

I started this today after looking forward to this for a long time and I have to say so far I'm not impressed. The dialogue is extremely long winded so far, it plays clunky, the map and quest tracking sucks, you can't jump or climb, and at least to start it's just not fun. I'll see if it gets better as I progress but so far I'm pretty disappointed. Granted, not that far in.
Sorry to hear that. Please keep us posted on your progress.

Pejo

Shame, it looked like it had potential as an adventure puzzle game. If the gameplay is clunky that's pretty much it for me from the start.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Shame, it looked like it had potential as an adventure puzzle game. If the gameplay is clunky that's pretty much it for me from the start.
Some examples of what I mean by clunky:

Controls aren’t super fluid. Now they aren’t exactly horribly stiff either, but it feels like it could’ve been much better. Hard to describe unless you play it. Something feels off.

again, no jumping or climbing.

Inputs feel very slightly delayed at times. Not significantly, but slightly. I first noticed it when I went to start the game on the title screen and I hit A to start the adventure and it didn’t pick it up and I hit A again there was a delay before it recognized it. Maybe it’s just the Switch version, I don’t know.

You can’t sprint indefinitely, you can only go so far without slowing down. When carrying things you can’t move quickly at all. And so far a lot of the game is carrying things from point A to point B and it’s very tedious. And in certain terrain you can’t move fast either. One of the things I had to first do was carry a cabbage patch to a watery farm area to fill up a hole and when in the water, I couldn’t move fast. And I couldn’t move fast when carrying it either. So it was just very tedious.

So far I don’t even have a weapon and I have to throw things like pots to kill enemies and if they even brush you, you lose a heart and if you lose all hearts it’s game over and you state back at the beginning of the room you were in.

They give you a lot of blocks to push but you can only push them in one direction, so it feels totally mundane and pointless to give these simplistic block pushing puzzles when you can only even push them in a single direction.

I‘m sure it’ll get better but so far, animations aside, it feels much closer to Oceanhorn than Zelda.

thatJohann

Bummer about the negative impressions. I was hoping it would be good. Was craving something simple and pretty. But yeah the trailers show him walking so slowly I would lose my patience.

Fuz

Banned
Breaks my heart. I really wanted this to be good, I can see there's a lot of love poured in it. :messenger_crying:

Hestar69

Some examples of what I mean by clunky:

Controls aren’t super fluid. Now they aren’t exactly horribly stiff either, but it feels like it could’ve been much better. Hard to describe unless you play it. Something feels off.

again, no jumping or climbing.

Inputs feel very slightly delayed at times. Not significantly, but slightly. I first noticed it when I went to start the game on the title screen and I hit A to start the adventure and it didn’t pick it up and I hit A again there was a delay before it recognized it. Maybe it’s just the Switch version, I don’t know.

You can’t sprint indefinitely, you can only go so far without slowing down. When carrying things you can’t move quickly at all. And so far a lot of the game is carrying things from point A to point B and it’s very tedious. And in certain terrain you can’t move fast either. One of the things I had to first do was carry a cabbage patch to a watery farm area to fill up a hole and when in the water, I couldn’t move fast. And I couldn’t move fast when carrying it either. So it was just very tedious.

So far I don’t even have a weapon and I have to throw things like pots to kill enemies and if they even brush you, you lose a heart and if you lose all hearts it’s game over and you state back at the beginning of the room you were in.

They give you a lot of blocks to push but you can only push them in one direction, so it feels totally mundane and pointless to give these simplistic block pushing puzzles when you can only even push them in a single direction.

I‘m sure it’ll get better but so far, animations aside, it feels much closer to Oceanhorn than Zelda.
I almost bought this on xbox last night. Was really looking forward to it too :(..Maybe after some patches it'll be better.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Finally got a sword. The attack button is the same as the action button so sometimes you go over to climb down a ladder and you swing the sword instead of climbing lol.

Also beat the first boss. It was pretty annoyingly difficult but not extremely hard or anything. It wasn't very fun. The game just feels very low budget on all things aside from the animations. It feels like that's where 90% of the budget went. It honestly feels like a mobile iOS game other than the animation and visual design.

Last edited:
I cant get past the name, Baldo sounds like an insult for a balding middle age office worker. That and i cant stand first games in a new ip having dumb subtitles. Just call it The Guardian Owls or something

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I hate to pile on, but I hate this fucking game.

-I got to the part where the game sort of opens up and it's pretty big and it's fucking a chore to navigate without getting lost. You can't place markers on your map, you can't zoom in with your map, and the map sucks and isn't very descriptive or detailed and without zooming you can barely see anything.

-Every time you die you start at the beginning of every area. Also, you will die or get injured from the smallest of falls. Like you'll approach a cliff and go "this isn't too high, I should be able to drop down this just fine." NOPE. You either die or lose a heart and it will start you back atop the cliff before you fell. If you die you start at the entrance way you entered. So if it's an area that's really big, you don't lose your progress which is good. You keep everything you discovered but instead of starting you right where you died, you gotta trek all the way back. And with how easy it is to die in this game, it's fucking ANNOYING especially when you are still trying to figure out which cliffs you can even drop off of without dying. So far, I've found you really can only fall of something as high as like one foot high without getting injured or dying.

-Also, some bodies of water you can walk in and some you can’t. Can’t tell? Take the plunge! But if you guess wrong, you’re dead!

-There's no indicator for when you run out of sprint stamina and get fatigued. There's no bar, there's no recharge bar. Baldo doesn't even have an animation that shows him recovering. So you just have to kind of guess. If you guess too soon, you run out of sprint in like 2 seconds. So you basically play it by ear. And you run out of sprint very fast. It's basically 5 seconds on, 5 seconds off. Makes it annoying to travel in large areas and return to areas where you died.

-Difficulty scaling is totally out of whack. Enemies are either a joke that can barely even try to attack you, or you'll be lucky to survive one of these things. Attacking enemies doesn't disable them from attacking you, so all the hard enemies I've fought, I'll attack one first but he'll still be able to attack me as I'm attacking them, basically us landing blows at the exact same time, and it takes WAY more hits for me to kill them than it does to kill me. So I basically just run from all enemies now.

-I killed this lizard thing that dropped a material to sell and the description says "extremely rare, these enemies are difficult to kill, sells for a lot" and the sell value was 5 gold lmao. That's "a lot"???

-I got an extra heart boosting my hearts to 4, but for some reason every time I die and respawn only 3 of 4 hearts are full. Even if I had 4 hearts full at my last check point.

-Loading between screens within areas loads fast, but loading to different regions takes about 10 seconds. There are two long load screens when starting the game. Both 20+ seconds each.

-I have a shield and naturally, it has a health bar on it.

-No fast travel as of yet to make traveling easier.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Just had to do trek to get a key to open the doors to a dungeon that's 45 minutes long to where the final reward for that dungeon is....

another key to open another door elsewhere

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Turns out there is a stamina bar for sprinting, but it disappears, I never noticed it. Nonetheless, it runs out so fast.

The map in this game is absolutely huge. There's no way this is going to be less than 50 hours with the size of the game and possibly 70+ unless much of this map is wasted space. There has to be fast travel at some point, I'm assuming, I haven't gotten it yet. The map is just too big. I wandered really far out just to explore and I haven't even explored like 1/10th of the whole map.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I think I encountered a game breaking bug. I'm unable to advance past a room needed to complete a mandatory dungeon. I'm so fucking done with this game if I can't figure out a way around this. It would be merciful at this point for this piece of dog shit excuse for a game.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
There is a room where you have to lure skeletons into jail cells and lock them in. Why? Who the fuck knows. The puzzles in the game are so random and arbitrary. They have no rhyme or reason. For example, one room in one dungeon had a bunch of these faces carved into walls, and they all looked the same, and randomly one of them you had to throw a pot at, that was no different than the others. They didn't make one a unique color or have it have colored eyes or something or hint at it. Just trial and error.

So anyway this room it seems you need to lock skeletons in these cells. But I can't enter the cells and neither can the skeletons. So until it's patched, jack shit I can do.

bender

What time is it?
There is a room where you have to lure skeletons into jail cells and lock them in. Why? Who the fuck knows. The puzzles in the game are so random and arbitrary. They have no rhyme or reason. For example, one room in one dungeon had a bunch of these faces carved into walls, and they all looked the same, and randomly one of them you had to throw a pot at, that was no different than the others. They didn't make one a unique color or have it have colored eyes or something or hint at it. Just trial and error.

So anyway this room it seems you need to lock skeletons in these cells. But I can't enter the cells and neither can the skeletons. So until it's patched, jack shit I can do.

Kuranghi

I found this random guys video while searching for impressions of the game, he also seems to hate it:

What a bummer, it looked like it had heart but overall it sound likes like its fart. The ultra slow pot carrying sounds really irritating. Did have this save problem he has?!?? That sounds inexcusable

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
IGN gave Baldo a 4/10

More thoughts:

It was patched today for Switch. I jumped back in. Didn't last 5 minutes without quitting. It's bad.

The Switch Up video touches on many things in my posts I made in this thread. Glad I wasn't alone and people had the exact same gripes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom