• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3: A Next-Gen Graphical Showcase

Bo_Hazem

Banned
With all due respect but sometimes i feel that master race bullying consolles players is not a bad thing when i read stuff like this :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Well, can be a master race today if I wanted. Considering the upgrade from Radeon VII to RTX 3090 though.

That gameplay though is pretty outdated to my taste. I don't play such a game, and the gameplay is very basic and has no next gen elements to it. More like a shiny chess game.

GymWolf

Well, can be a master race today if I wanted. Considering the upgrade from Radeon VII to RTX 3090 though.

That gameplay though is pretty outdated to my taste. I don't play such a game, and the gameplay is very basic and has no next gen elements to it. More like a shiny chess game.
The gameplay is less basic than 99% of triple A on the market most probably.

Have you ever played a modern larian game?

Last edited:

GymWolf

What is that? I'm not into those JRPG and MMORPG games. They're just not my cup of tea and make my eyes tear from sadness.:lollipop_sad_relieved:
It's not a jrpg nor a mmorpg, it's kinda of a pc centric genre, imagine something like a not open world skyrim with companions but with turn based combat, isometric view, great emphasis on enviromental interaction and far better writing, i'm really not the right guy to describe a game like this with my limited vocabulary, also not an expert myself, i basically only played their last game in the genre and maybe something similar like 15-20 years ago.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's not a jrpg nor a mmorpg, it's kinda of a pc centric genre, imagine something like skyrim with companions but with turn based combat, isometric view, great emphasis on enviromental interaction and far better writing, i'm really not the right guy to describe a game like this with my limited vocabulary, also not an expert myself, i basically only played their last game in the genre and maybe something similar like 15-20 years ago.

You just described hell to me.:messenger_fearful: All power to you, but I can't play such games even for free, or even if I get paid like $10/hour.:lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
LOL! Now we are showing demos of non-existant games? What happened to Demon Souls?
Look dude demon souls looks good. But we are talking about what would be considered impressive for next gen.

Notice that that has global illumination and is 4k 30fps realtime. Meaning it could easily run at 1440p 60fps with the bandwitdth of the ps5.

That is photoreal assets can exist on nextgen consoles.

Kadayi

Banned
No respect needed for Bo. He always says the dumbest shit and I'm pretty sure he's just trolling all the time.

SonyGAF fragility in full effect. I think as the next-gen launch gets closer they're all getting a little antsy as to whether the Marmite sandwich is going to live up to expectations or turn out to be a turd, and as repeatedly shitting on XSX has turned into a bit of a no no and resulted in a bunch of them getting them banned recently, they've diverted their attention to PC and PCMR for some reason.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
No respect needed for Bo. He always says the dumbest shit and I'm pretty sure he's just trolling all the time.

dafcd09a7b6395e8e2805906d209146c.gif

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
Judging by the char ear at 1:04, seens like polycount is very high for current gen. I may be wrong.

Last edited:

EDMIX

The game doesn't look like that. But feel free to grab a screenshot from whatever place to justify your exclusive "wins" stance.

? Not really. Cyberpunk 2077 looks better then this and thats clearly current gen and not an exclusive.

Sorry bud, this just doesn't look "next gen" or better then what Demon Souls remake or Cyberpunk look like. Has nothing to do with "exclusive". You are simply mad majority of the thread doesn't remotely see this as "next gen" and looking at the screens that many have shared, I 100% understand why the majority of the thread is saying that. This looks dated as fuck....

PS4_001.jpg

So what does exclusives have to do with it? Many games this generation exclusive or not look on pair or vastly superior to what you are showing us.

WCCFreddeadredemption232.jpg

even matching up a similar theme

photo-mode-assassins-creed-odyssey.jpg

vs

Z8NFI7K.png

Yet....the one on the bottom is suppose to be "next gen"?

You.....you sure you don't get why the majority are making theses comments about this not looking next gen?

EDMIX

5 years old Assassin's Creed Unity looks as good if not better than Demon Souls

You can do wonders when you prebake raytraced lightning into your textures and assets. Demon Souls has static time of day and weather, yes?

I disagree. Demon Souls remake looks as good as AC Unity sure, but still looks better then AC Unity imho, AC Unity still looks amazing btw.

-Arcadia-

Banned
The rock stuff does look genuinely amazing. I see the comparison to UE5 easily. It instantly gave me the same vibe, even if it isn’t quite as amazing as literal Hollywood assets.

Keihart

I'm super interested in the game mechanically but i feel it's looks horrible in general, very high res everything tho.
Never liked the look of the old games or Divnity Sin 2 or Winter Knights, to me, the art direction it's bottom tier in these games. But mechanically, Baldurs gate 3 it's looking pretty ambitious.

Edit:
What is that? I'm not into those JRPG and MMORPG games. They're just not my cup of tea and make my eyes tear from sadness.:lollipop_sad_relieved:
If you are interested into know more about the game you'll find out that this is the most table top shit ever in an video game RPG. It's pretty ambitious and would probably have a hard time getting greenlitted at any major publisher with how out there it is.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you are interested into know more about the game you'll find out that this is the most table top shit ever in an video game RPG. It's pretty ambitious and would probably have a hard time getting greenlitted at any major publisher with how out there it is.

Those games can be pretty addictive, I remember back in the day many of my friends had crazy addiction to WoW. Generally, I don't really like RPG's as a concept, would take them if implemented mildly like in God of War and Horizon ZD. AC Origins/Odyssey as well are within acceptable range.

I prefer games with more realistic setups, and they're near extinct now. Love stealth, or any action game that is more reflex/skill based than thoughtful/organized and turn-based shit. The Witcher 3 for example would've been a better game if it was harder and was more focused on skills with better gameplay, even if it's already a phenomenal game.

To me games like Ghost of Tsushima (wasn't hard enough though) and God of War, especially the later at highest difficulty, game me full satisfaction, but I play a lot of games anyway, but avoid horror games/turn-based RPG. Played Persona 5 for one level and nearly suffocated. Deleted it directly.

Doesn't me those games are shit, they are just my type of games.

Last edited:
I don't do Early Access games unfortunately I've tried it twice and what ends up happening is when I've exhausted the content it takes years for the game to finish and by that time I don't feel like going back to it usually. I'm interested in the idea that this will be coming to consoles. I'm wondering how they streamline the controls to make that work. I don't really have much of an opinion on the visuals right now, games always tend to look better to me when I'm playing them.

Keihart

Those games can be pretty addictive, I remember back in the day many of my friends had crazy addiction to WoW. Generally, I don't really like RPG's as a concept, would take them if implemented mildly like in God of War and Horizon ZD. AC Origins/Odyssey as well are within acceptable range.

I prefer games with more realistic setups, and they're near extinct now. Love stealth, or any action game that is more reflex/skill based than thoughtful/organized and turn-based shit. The Witcher 3 for example would've been a better game if it was harder and was more focused on skills with better gameplay, even if it's already a phenomenal game.

To me games like Ghost of Tsushima (wasn't hard enough though) and God of War, especially the later at highest difficulty, game me full satisfaction, but I play a lot of games anyway, but avoid horror games/turn-based RPG. Played Persona 5 for one level and nearly suffocated. Deleted it directly.

Doesn't me those games are shit, they are just my type of games.
Have you ever played like a legit tabletop rpg, like character sheets and stuff? because that's more like what this game is. It's not really like wow or what we call RPG in video games usually.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Have you ever played like a legit tabletop rpg, like character sheets and stuff? because that's more like what this game is. It's not really like wow or what we call RPG in video games usually.

I've seen some of those card games plaid by kids when I was back in Virginia, US 2002-2004 in the bus. Didn't interest me but understood that some cards are pretty rare and some would actually pay money for them? Not sure but sounds like Gwent in The Witcher 3 which is very addictive and spent endless of hours in it until I became overpowered and wasn't fun to play anymore.

Vtecomega

Banned
Dude, stop being disingenuous with the crappy vids/pics! I have the game right here! If you want me to show you stuff, I'll do it. But don't go picking something low res and not representative of the max settings with the game.

The torch has dynamic shadows just like in Demon Souls. And I even gazed at your famous volume beam light source you seem to have a hardon for with "glow" in the cave too to show you that BG3 does the same thing.

I....I dont get it. I have seen countless games look like this. I recall Uncharted 2 on ps3 looking similar. It doesn't exactly scream next gen. Environments have that clay looking effect that was so popular on xbox 360 and ps3 games. Demon Souls is on a completely different level.

Regardless of what BG3 is doing in the background on a technical level, it just doesn't visually look that impressive compared to a lot of other games out there.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I....I dont get it. I have seen countless games look like this. I recall Uncharted 2 on ps3 looking similar. It doesn't exactly scream next gen. Environments have that clay looking effect that was so popular on xbox 360 and ps3 games. Demon Souls is on a completely different level.

Regardless of what BG3 is doing in the background on a technical level, it just doesn't visually look that impressive compared to a lot of other games out there.

We all have different set of eyes I guess. It has the graphical quality that I look for in a PC game these days along with Avengers, Crysis Remake, FS2020 and a couple more PC-centric games.

I regret making the thread. Should have known that anyone can call anything 'next-gen' or not. Not going to try and convince anyone. But neither will they convince me this game isn't of next-gen quality compared to all the other games coming out or have been (which 100% on the console are current gen). Oh well, moving on..

martino

if the game really can't run on current console it is de facto next gen even if you can't appreciate the reason for it to be (graphics ones or not)
it's confirmed the target is above current gen

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
We all have different set of eyes I guess. It has the graphical quality that I look for in a PC game these days along with Avengers, Crysis Remake, FS2020 and a couple more PC-centric games.

I regret making the thread. Should have known that anyone can call anything 'next-gen' or not. Not going to try and convince anyone. But neither will they convince me this game isn't of next-gen quality compared to all the other games coming out or have been (which 100% on the console are current gen). Oh well, moving on..

Don't take it so seriously my friend. We as gamers have become pretty jaded over the years. I know I have pretty high expectations when it comes to visuals. Games for the past decade have all looked pretty similar and I guess people have become desensitized to it.

BG3 looks good but just doesn't visually separate itself from other games we have all seen countless times before.

Demon Souls has a tangible feeling to the world that has a lot of detail packed in at every corner. Combine that with great motion blur, ray tracing effects, high poly geometry, fluid combat animations and attention to detail that I expect from a next gen game ( Look at the eyes of the demon souls boss and notice the smoke / vapor having its own physics) I think most would agree it visually looks more next then compared to a turn based static RPG.

VFXVeteran

Banned
Demon Souls has a tangible feeling to the world that has a lot of detail packed in at every corner.

But it doesn't. I am not seeing this detail you speak of. Certainly not more than BG3.

Combine that with great motion blur,

How is this motion blur better than any other motion blur we've seen?

ray tracing effects,

It's RT effects are lackluster to say the least. There is only reflections. There are many other RTX games that have better RT.

high poly geometry,

The geometry isn't high poly though. It's in fact, less polygonal than BG3. I can find polygonal edges all over DS demo.

fluid combat animations

The animation looks like Dark Souls animation. It's been done before.

and attention to detail that I expect from a next gen game ( Look at the eyes of the demon souls boss and notice the smoke / vapor having its own physics)

And I can find many references in BG3 that have attention to detail as well.

I think most would agree it visually looks more next then compared to a turn based static RPG.

Only most Sony gamers would think so. And a turn-based static RPG should't be used a slight against the graphics system. I can guarantee you that BG3 graphics engine is more complex than DS engine. The game has many many more assets and several things going on at once. The characters in DS look like the old Dark Souls characters of old. Faded color palette with very few color variations, very weak PBR shaders, and the typical static probe-based GI lighting that all current gen titles have.

See, I'm not seeing the 'next-gen' graphics of DS or any PS5 console exclusive that you guys see. That goes both ways.

Last edited:
I don't regret that you made the thread it's got some interesting stuff in it and I think you put some real effort and I like all the stuff about baldur's gate 3. I don't care much for a downplaying games like demon souls that feels like you getting baited into arguments you shouldn't have to deal with. They are games with entirely different design philosophies and what they're doing is very different. The nebulous definition of what is NextGen doesn't entirely interest me the stuff about what this game is doing and how impressive it is does. Don't get mired in the negative feedback especially if it takes you off topic.

VFXVeteran

Banned
if the game really can't run on current console it is de facto next gen even if you can't appreciate the reason for it to be (graphics ones or not)

Too bad it will go unnoticed. If it's not a Sony exclusive or a thread made by someone else like Bo, it will continue to be a PS3 game.

VFXVeteran

Banned
I don't regret that you made the thread it's got some interesting stuff in it and I think you put some real effort and I like all the stuff about baldur's gate 3. I don't care much for a downplaying games like demon souls that feels like you getting baited into arguments you shouldn't have to deal with. They are games with entirely different design philosophies and what they're doing is very different. The nebulous definition of what is NextGen doesn't entirely interest me the stuff about what this game is doing and how impressive it is does. Don't get mired in the negative feedback especially if it takes you off topic.

You regular gamers are outnumbered 10:1 between Sony fans. I don't have the patience to sift through my thread trying to gather meaningful conversation about BG3 when I have a gazillion people claiming I'm blind or have no eye for things that look good despite working in the field for several years. It's annoying and not worth carrying on a conversation - especially when I challenge the comments with asking for proof and all I get are "it just looks like current gen and you can't change my mind" mentality.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Too bad it will go unnoticed. If it's not a Sony exclusive or a thread made by someone else like Bo, it will continue to be a PS3 game.

Man, why make me sound like a villain. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

See, those kinds of games are mostly PC gamers who probably play them, and they are a far cry from games that appeal to the masses in the console field that have much bigger budgets for animation, story telling, cinematics, etc. And you know all of that. I love some games that some might have lots of banter about like Mass Effect Andromeda, Assassin's Creed games, and others. You just take the banter and laugh, nothing personal as people have different tastes.

But technically this game is like having the most expensive make up for a 100 years hag. Game mechanics/animations are so painful to watch. I mean it's so bad that brings me back to how shit the controls were in Clock Tower on PS1, which was essentially a PC game:

Back in 1997, I found the gameplay extremely bad, like 23 years ago. How could I accept the same bad, low-teir animations of a game in 2020? That's shared with most console gamers. PC gamers tend to like shooters and strategic games like Generals? and other games that have birdeye view.

I mean I find Demon's souls remake movement as shit and stiff as fuck, especially after playing a game like Horizon Zero Dawn which was one of the best IMO in that regard.

At the end of the day, play what you like, and enjoy it. What others think of a game shouldn't shake your joy with it. Hope the best for you.

Last edited:

Keihart

I've seen some of those card games plaid by kids when I was back in Virginia, US 2002-2004 in the bus. Didn't interest me but understood that some cards are pretty rare and some would actually pay money for them? Not sure but sounds like Gwent in The Witcher 3 which is very addictive and spent endless of hours in it until I became overpowered and wasn't fun to play anymore.
I'm not referring to a trading card game, i'm talking about actual table top RPGs, like Dungeon and Dragons, which means creating a character in a sheet of paper and having a Dungeon Master guide the group through a campaign and having to roll a dice for your actions, etc. That's where the RPG term comes from.

If you haven't ever played one, i think you are maybe missing out big time, it's a really fun way to spend time with friends and even make it a routine that last years.
Baldurs Gate 3 it's very much triying to emulate this experience , which games have mostly given up in triying to capture although games like Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy originally intended to capture it at best they could.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
You regular gamers are outnumbered 10:1 between Sony fans. I don't have the patience to sift through my thread trying to gather meaningful conversation about BG3 when I have a gazillion people claiming I'm blind or have no eye for things that look good despite working in the field for several years. It's annoying and not worth carrying on a conversation - especially when I challenge the comments with asking for proof and all I get are "it just looks like current gen and you can't change my mind" mentality.

That’s life, though. Putting aside Sony fans, that accurately reflects the signal to noise ratio of real people.

At some point, you need to take your experience into your own hands, and see if it’s worth getting upset over (it’s not). You made a great thread. Do you think that other sensible people do not see dumb comments for what they are as well?

Ignore or mock, and move on with a genuinely good contribution to gaming side, and having conversations with people who actually want to engage, while the peanut gallery does its thing. The thing about that, is that it tends to strengthen a thread, and makes silly, one-note comments look even more irrelevant, as well as drawing in more people who like that content, making Gaf a better place.

I’d just continue with my original plan for the thread.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I'm not referring to a trading card game, i'm talking about actual table top RPGs, like Dungeon and Dragons, which means creating a character in a sheet of paper and having a Dungeon Master guide the group through a campaign and having to roll a dice for your actions, etc. That's where the RPG term comes from.

If you haven't ever played one, i think you are maybe missing out big time, it's a really fun way to spend time with friends and even make it a routine that last years.

It's sounds like fun, and thanks a lot for the new details. I've seen such a thing in Life is Strange game. To me, I would rather play other games of football instead :) Used to cheat in a card game with my friends, no talking, no winking, just communicating by talking 1-4 cards from the right to the left indicating which cards you have most (1:Hearts for example), then take 1-2 papers from the left to the right to indicate that you'll pass/take it (and name the breed/kind and have like a target to meet), if the other guys still makes a "taking" move, then you pass it for him.

Well, it took them months and no one noticed. Fun part is it doesn't engage money or other bullshit, just fun and banter. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last time probably in 2002. Now I can't take those old school games, but might give them a shot if intrigued. But such a game you've mentioned isn't for me, I believe. But it was nice to now more about it!:messenger_ok:

• Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i7 4770k / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / AMD RX580

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That’s life, though. Putting aside Sony fans, that accurately reflects the signal to noise ratio of real people.

At some point, you need to take your experience into your own hands, and see if it’s worth getting upset over (it’s not). You made a great thread. Do you think that other sensible people do not see dumb comments for what they are as well?

Ignore or mock, and move on with a genuinely good contribution to gaming side, and having conversations with people who actually want to engage, while the peanut gallery does its thing. The thing about that, is that it tends to strengthen a thread, and make silly, one-note comments look even more irrelevant, as well as drawing in more people who like that content, making Gaf a better place.

I’d just continue with my original plan for the thread.

Problem with VFXVeteran VFXVeteran that he tends to downplay PS games, no matter how wonderful they are to the masses. It could be his genuine feel towards these games, maybe he doesn't like those games, and it's ok.

For example, I don't like Persona 5, nor GTA5, why waste my time and brawl with the fans of these games? I hate Souls games as well, but I would focus on the positives, and avoid trashing the games. He usually puts so many outrageous posts about PlayStation and their games, and then acts surprised when people do the same to things he likes.

I like AC games, and people shit on them all over the place here. I just laugh and don't take it personally as AC has its flaws as well.

Anyway, I wish him the best and would advice not to irritate some fans then expect no backlash. I mean one guy here literally said that I don't deserve any respect few posts above, and I expect some BS like this from xbox fans because I tend to upset them either with facts or banter, but it's not good when taken to a personal level as we're talking about games and corporates here.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Divinity 2 couldn't even run on current gen consoles without being remade. The game was a CPU hog.

Last edited:
Top Bottom