• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate 3: A Next-Gen Graphical Showcase

martino

Divinity 2 couldn't even run on current gen consoles without being remade. The game was a CPU hog.
look the fallacious silly cherry picking done to in this thread to sum up what the game is :
different genre and cinematic on hand and a worst case picture on the other....
those people don't want to discuss the subject the motive is different.
not on console or not targeting them = let's find a way to dismiss any boundaries pushed here ....

• Recommended:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Intel i7 4770k / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X
    • Memory: 16 GB RAM
    • Graphics: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB / AMD RX580
this is not a port.
look at cpu in minimal specs.
ps4 is no 1060 and you can't dedicate 6go of ram for graphics alone
no current gen game target refresh.

martino

I'll just leave the thread, don't wanna upset people. :lollipop_grinning_sweat:
problem is not animation (not saying it's a huge focus ether but vomit = troll )
what is it you don't like ?
idle animation because it's turn base ?
not enough cinematic or bombastic general staging ?
not all game have to do that....if you need that to be impressed it's sad because you are locked in specific expectations.
(you made me think about ac Yonyea video atm)

Last edited:

GymWolf

I don't do Early Access games unfortunately I've tried it twice and what ends up happening is when I've exhausted the content it takes years for the game to finish and by that time I don't feel like going back to it usually. I'm interested in the idea that this will be coming to consoles. I'm wondering how they streamline the controls to make that work. I don't really have much of an opinion on the visuals right now, games always tend to look better to me when I'm playing them.
Divinity 2 was perfectly playable with a controller, they even added a button that you can press to loot everything in a couple of meters radius without clicking everywhere to pick stuff.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
problem is not animation
what is it you don't like ?
idle animation because it's turn base ?
not enough cinematic or bombastic general staging ?
not all game have to do that....if you need that to be impressed it's sad because you are locked in specific expectations.
(you made me think about ac Yonyea video atm)

tenor.gif

Bo_Hazem

Banned
void claims cannot be more than that 🤷‍♂️

If there are no games in the world but turn-based combat games, I would rather focus on something more entertaining than that kinda gaming.

I like Yakuza games, but if there is nothing but that turn-based BS then I won't touch it even for free.

martino

If there are no games in the world but turn-based combat games, I would rather focus on something more entertaining than that kinda gaming.

I like Yakuza games, but if there is nothing but that turn-based BS then I won't touch it even for free.
So you capability to take a step back on your expectations to see technical advancement on genre/engine not focusing on things you like is null....
who wouldn't have guessed and it's sadly how most opinion in this thread work....

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So you capability to take a step back on your expectations to see technical advancement on genre/engine not focusing on things you like is null....
who would'nt have guess and it's sadly how most opinion in this thread work....

Man, just don't force your taste on gaming on others, if you give me all the turn-based games in the world for free, and even pay me $10/hour to play them, I won't. Those games are pretty basic that's why they're successful in the cellphone market. Putting makeup on a hag won't make her any prettier.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Man, just don't force your taste on gaming on others, if you give me all the turn-based games in the world for free, and even pay me $10/hour to play them, I won't. Those games are pretty basic that's why they're successful in the cellphone market. Putting makeup on a hag won't make her any prettier.
Again with this pretty basic narrative...dude dvinity on max difficulty make stuff like souls games and god of war at gimme the god of war difficulty mode (arguably the most difficult sony game during this gen) looks like games for childrens...
The amount of choices you can made during combat or quest solving or puzzle solving or exploration put most of AAA game to shame.

It's not my favourite genre neither,but they are far from basic, what you play on mobile are just games woth similar in camera position and maybe generic fantasy artstyle, but they are not like the top tier crpg on oc, not even close.

It's like saying that the third person shooter fron gameloft play exactly like tlou2, cmon...

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Again with this pretty basic narrative...dude dvinity on max difficulty make stuff like souls games and god of war at gimme the god of war difficulty mode (arguably the most difficult sony game during this gen) looks like games for childrens...
The amount of choices you can made during combat or quest solving or puzzle solving or exploration put most of AAA game to shame.

It's not my favourite genre neither,but they are far from basic, what you play on mobile are just games woth similar in camera position and maybe generic fantasy artstyle, but they are not like the top tier crpg on oc, not even close.

It's like saying that the third person shooter fron gameloft play exactly like tlou2, cmon...

I don't know man, would rather go run, play football, or any other activity than wasting my time on those games. That's why I said I'll just leave the thread. I read "next gen" and thought it would be something like the Star Citizens scam but this time it'll be released. But hey, all power for people loving such games.

where did i forced my taste on you ? i just underline you incapability to judge something past your taste , it's very different.
but i guess your objective here is more
4iu3kx.jpg

Then stop quoting me? I guess? Enjoy.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrS

martino

where did i forced my taste on you ? i just underline you incapability to judge something past your taste , it's very different.
but i guess your objective here is more
4iu3kx.jpg

GymWolf

I don't know man, would rather go run, play football, or any other activity than wasting my time on those games. That's why I said I'll just leave the thread. I read "next gen" and thought it would be something like the Star Citizens scam but this time it'll be released. But hey, all power for people loving such games.
You get more sweat trying to beat some combat encounter on divinity than doing 3 hours of football tho :ROFLMAO:

look the fallacious silly cherry picking done to in this thread to sum up what the game is :
different genre and cinematic on hand and a worst case picture on the other....
those people don't want to discuss the subject the motive is different.
not on console or not targeting them = let's find a way to dismiss any boundaries pushed here ....

this is not a port.
look at cpu in minimal specs.
ps4 is no 1060 and you can't dedicate 6go of ram for graphics alone
no current gen game target refresh.
Says rx580 1060, the mid gen refreshes easily match that.

The required specs are notably weaker, those are the recommended. It could run at required settings on base consoles recommended settings at mid gen refresh consoles.

BTW here's a nice small clip of demon's

Last edited:

iHaunter

I actually bought this game and tried it, not knowing it was a point and click. It's such a shame, I loved the character creator and story. I just cannot stand point and click games in the modern era. It feels outdated, pointless, and slow. I know it's designed to be that way, I just couldn't get through it.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The required specs are notably weaker, those are the recommended. It could run at required settings on base consoles recommended settings at mid gen refresh consoles.

Problem is, that one is actually 4K@60fps.

martino

that don't diminish the jump between games of the same genre divinity 2 and baldur gate 3 here

look at what previous game look like on base console

the jump between that an baldur 3 high is easy to spot (and we are comparing a more favorable pc build here)

even on ps4 pro texture are not great

Last edited:
I actually bought this game and tried it, not knowing it was a point and click. It's such a shame, I loved the character creator and story. I just cannot stand point and click games in the modern era. It feels outdated, pointless, and slow. I know it's designed to be that way, I just couldn't get through it.
ya man. It’s full 3d 3rd person. But it’s point and click turn based. It’s a weird combination to me.

back to the topic, the game has great graphics. It is nextgen level for sure. But I found it funny about the op’s comments saying none of the nextgen game shown is next gen. but this game is. As if a game released on a certain disgusting platform automatically disqualified as nextgen. Ofc it will attract warriors. should’ve focused on the game itself. the excellent level of tessellation and displacement to achieve the nanite-like fidelity is something worth more focus even when the quality is not homogeneous.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Playing this game native 4k everything maxed and it does look good, I’d say the engine and all that it is capable of doing is pretty next gen but visually not yet. Then again why are we judging a game that isn’t finished? Everyone knows that this will improve before final release .... you guys are obsessing over unfinished graphics while I’m sitting here obsessing over how to become a Mindflayer and eat People’s brains 🧠. Yes I’m serious if anyone figures it out let me know.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
back to the topic, the game has great graphics. It is nextgen level for sure. But I found it funny about the op’s comments saying none of the nextgen game shown is next gen. but this game is.

It's a theme that you see over and over again here on these boards. Nothing is next-gen unless the popular platform comes out with an exclusive game for next-gen. I was basically regurgitating the same nonsense.

As if a game released on a certain disgusting platform automatically disqualified as nextgen. Ofc it will attract warriors. should’ve focused on the game itself.

I did in the beginning, but it got derailed by the warriors.

the excellent level of tessellation and displacement to achieve the nanite-like fidelity is something worth more focus even when the quality is not homogeneous.

How can we discuss this when most warriors don't see it that way. They think it's a PS3 game from back in the day. Certainly don't have great tessellation and displacement in the way that it achieves UE5-like fidelity. This is what led to my frustration and exit from the thread.

Last edited:

Dr_Salt

There's something very unimmersive about BG3. It fails to fool my brain and looks very uncanny. Some of the textures are too grainy, some look like they've been sharpened and then blurred, and some are kind of cartoony. I also find the level geometry unconvincing. I've been to places with rocks like that irl and this game doesn't convince my brain.

No matter how technically competent it is, the asset quality is very inconsistent and so is the art style and that affects the overall look. Demon's Souls tricks my brain more effectively when I look at it and gives me the instinct to look around. It engages my mind's eye. BG3 does not give me that feeling and makes me zone out. It's "eye oatmeal" to Demon's Souls' eye candy.

Life isn't fair. Effectiveness is what counts. There's no amount of techniques that will make BG3 look better than DS to me and I think it's largely due to the assets.

Speak for yourself. This game is super immersive specially with the help of that spectacular ost.

Top Bottom