• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III gameplay premiere set for February 27

Was torment tides of numenera no good?
Lol I have it AND most of the tabletop books too. Great setting but probably the most woke rpg devs I've ever seen.

Shit they even released a pdf book on consent in rpgs ffs.

drY7DmW.png

GWHg1y6.png

Seriously this picture speaks, "I don't need no man...."

Who.... Who exactly are they trying to target with this?

Edit: and wtf is wrong with that dude's head on the right?

Last edited:
Was going to post this in clown world as i thought it would be a better place, but anyway..

Baldur’s Gate 3 is a next-gen experience only for PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One cannot run it

"I don’t think that current-gen consoles would be able to run it. There’s a lot of technical upgrades and updates that we did to our engine. I don’t know if it would be capable of being able to actually run on those things.

Maybe it could run, but then we would have to tone down the textures and this and that and it wouldn’t look as cool anymore.”

Oh please....

7GFmb60.jpg

Hs5SaiM.jpg

Last edited:
Tldr: BG3 is aimed at D&D fans. The license was given to Larian to push 5E.

DnD has always been turn based, even back when BG was made if you can believe it, they were dealing with the same system, they just choose to take advantage of the computational power of computers (zunnmmm) to make all those rolls happen simultaneously. Basically, I'm pretty sure DnD pretty much always envisioned their turn based battles being a mathematical way to simulate organic battles.. BG battle system achieved that underlying vision.

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
I bet you start off in the crashed ship as one of the infected prisoner.
The catgirl is your typical first chatty party member (or they go woke and she is super cool type)

You fight and kill the master squid as last boss. The ending will have you choose becoming the next master squid to rule the world, or destroying yourself and be the hero.

Boring crpg troupee.. :messenger_alien_monster:

I bet you start off in the crashed ship as one of the infected prisoner.
The catgirl is your typical first chatty party member (or they go woke and she is super cool type)

You fight and kill the master squid as last boss. The ending will have you choose becoming the next master squid to rule the world, or destroying yourself and be the hero.

Boring crpg troupee.. :messenger_alien_monster:
Well yeah you're almost right. The gameplay shows you get infected and then it crashes and you converse with a guy asking if a gay vampire can be affected by a mind flyer tadpole and off you go on adventures.

V4skunk

Banned
Uh oh I gotta catch up to the thread but in a tl;dr what's all this now? I mean in regards to this backlash and Divinity 2 reskin stuff you're referring to.

As for the gay vampire, I saw that in the gameplay. Not at all surprised they're going 'woke' but in all fairness, the "gay vampire" is practically a stereotype and trope since Interview with a Vampire and all.

I was wondering can you change the sexual orientation or is it already pre-set?
I don't care about sexual orientation. What ever floats your boat.
Listen to what the vampire was doing before he got captured! Reeks of paedo. Was not impressed with that part at all.
I can't even bother with Numenera anymore due to how nauseatingly woke it is. It's an 11 out of a 10 on the Woke Meter.

Dafuq happened to Monte Cook and others?

Say what you want about millennials but my gen (gen x) and boomers are insufferable.
Torment Tides of Numenera also has a shitty turn based system that was implemented after a kickstarter poll that had TB win by a very small percentage.
What a waste of a game when you compare it to Planescape Torment.
Yea, next thing you're gonna tell me is you enjoyed it.
I did. Was sweet wiping out that shit hole infested hive of Beholders. I know what I am doing though and have a strategy to fight them and the tactics to win.
Also by the time you are in Underdark you should have understood the importance of buff/debuff and freeaction/dispel etc...
DnD has always been turn based, even back when BG was made if you can believe it, they were dealing with the same system, they just choose to take advantage of the computational power of computers (zunnmmm) to make all those rolls happen simultaneously. Basically, I'm pretty sure DnD pretty much always envisioned their turn based battles being a mathematical way to simulate organic battles.. BG battle system achieved that underlying vision.
You realise that real-time gameplay is technically more demanding than turn-based?

I don't care about sexual orientation. What ever floats your boat.
Listen to what the vampire was doing before he got captured! Reeks of paedo. Was not impressed with that part at all.

Torment Tides of Numenera also has a shitty turn based system that was implemented after a kickstarter poll that had TB win by a very small percentage.
What a waste of a game when you compare it to Planescape Torment.

I did. Was sweet wiping out that shit hole infested hive of Beholders. I know what I am doing though and have a strategy to fight them and the tactics to win.
Also by the time you are in Underdark you should have understood the importance of buff/debuff and freeaction/dispel etc...

You realise that real-time gameplay is technically more demanding than turn-based?
I heard the vampire mentioning he was chasing some guy but didn't catch the context.

That sounds fucking creepy.

If they're injecting pedo shit in games now, this whole industry deserves to burn to the ground.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
Was sweet wiping out that shit hole infested hive of Beholders. I know what I am doing though and have a strategy to fight them and the tactics to win.
I've been playing D&D since the early 80s and know about all that shit. RtwP just gets annoying, as I wanna be able to take my time and relax more, have a sip of brandy or toke between turns. Not constantly have to watch everything with my finger on pause. And it's just sloppy too. You can't even form good defensive lines and protect casters, ect....as monsters just slide past as it turns into this ridiculous kiting fest, instead of being able to maintain proper battle lines.

RtwP fags just need to take the L and move on.

I'm glad it's turn based. Divinity OS had some of the best combat, puzzles and rpg cheesyness I've seen in decades.

Larian know how to make a fun world, fun fights, tactical set pieces and a way to replay the game with a load of different builds. I've completed Div OS 1 and 2, five times each, each time with different character builds and it felt fresh and challenging.

Baldurs Gate peaked at 2. It never will get better than that. At least Baldurs Gate 3 has a chance to thrive as its own game and doesn't get cast aside for trying to recreate the glory of BG2.

If you don't like BG3, nothing was lost, you still have 2, maybe, just maybe, you'll find yourself loving BG3 for reasons you never thought possible

As for tb and rtwp, I prefer turn based because I like to enjoy the experience of the fight and the possibilities. Some men like chess, some men like Snap.

nikolino840

So...
Is a 4 party members Not 6
And there's no moral Alignment during character creation,the moral Is decided by your answers like divinity

But What about the paladin that can be only legal good? Or things are changed in the 5e?

Ivory Blood

So...
And there's no moral Alignment during character creation,the moral Is decided by your answers like divinity

But What about the paladin that can be only legal good? Or things are changed in the 5e?
Yeah, paladins no longer need to be specific alignment, now every god has their own paladins, even the evil ones.

FranXico

How else do you define a franchise other than by connected elements between the games? There are gameplay differences among games in many series, yet characters/story/setting are what connects those games as being apart of the same series. If your definition of a Baldur's Gate game is strictly a game that has RTWP gameplay set in/around Baldur's Gate, then your definition is just as lacking as you say mine is.

The problem isn't my mental gymnastics, it's your inflexibility. Work out that brain some, give different things a try! You have a quitters attitude.
Baldur's Gate II did not take place in Baldur's Gate. The connection between games in the franchise used to be the Bhaalspawn Saga and RTP battle system.

nikolino840

Yeah, paladins no longer need to be specific alignment, now every god has their own paladins, even the evil ones.
In this case you are not forced with the coiches by your character but Is you player that made choices

Maybe it's too philosophical but in a role-playing game you have to play the character you choose not to play yourself

I think the limits of the classes and morale in a videgome help to think with the mind of your alter ego

And games like this Is different from adventures games like Life Is strange or Detroit

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

So...

Paladins in 5E are more like (un)holy knights. You pick an Oath, and that gives you the rules to live by. The Oath of Devotion is your classic Paladin, but you also get:
  • Treachery: deceit and betrayal (Blackguards)
  • Redemption: patience, peace, wisdom (Pacifists)
  • Ancients: be the light (Green Knights)
  • Conquest: rule with an iron fist (Tyrants)
  • Vengeance: fight the greater evil (Batman)
  • The Crown: law is paramount (Judge Dredd)
Your alignment and your choice of Deity is secondary to your Oath.

Siri

Banned
I don't care any more. Larian has potentially lost most of the BG fan base.
Not paying full price for a divinity 2 reskin and the backlash is huge on all the forums. Fucking hilarious really.
Alot of us are also not happy at the woke bullshit they are pushing with the paedo gay vampire character.

Here we go.

That's the point I'm making man, BG battle style is more novel and technical than, like, fire emblem, final fantasy tactics, DOS, i think it's more than worth larian breaking a sweat to implement it in a licensed sequel~

The more i think of this the less patience i have for people saying larian dumping turn based combat on BG is somehow preferable to them keeping the original battle system. There aren't any two ways about it: in the 90s, devoted DnD fans broke their balls to develop a complex real time interpretation of the battle simulations of the table top game. They saw that there was a dream behind the table top system and that the processing capabilities of computers could make that dream real. They succeeded, their games are considered to this day to be at the peak of their genre. Now the flavour of the decade, Larian, who have gathered up a big band of fanboys with their undeniably awesome games, have got themselves the holy grail of RPG licenses and they're refusing to implement the core battle mechanics.

They say they're putting more work into this game than ever before, and they can't even manage the battle system? No, unacceptable, to me. The idea that this game is some kind of advertisement for the latest ruleset is, i think, beside the point. Any DnD ruleset would work in the BG battle system.

For the record, i like the Larian games a lot. I just don't like their cavalier attitude to a game series to which they owe a lot.

I've been playing replaying pillars of eternity and its sequel, deadfire must have just about the best application of this battle system... That's where I'll leave it.

I feel for Larian, they we're fucked no matter what call they made.
Make it too similar to the originals: "Ugh, gaming has evolved, get with the times."
Make it too different from.the originals: "Argh, more of my precious childhood destroyed."

I always thought of the rtwp system in the Infinity engine games as essentially a turn based system. You can set the auto-pause with dozens of variables: after every round, out of ammo, weapon ineffective, various health thresholds, etc. The main difference being there was no grid or hex movement.

The "woke" stuff can be annoying, but I play these types of games mainly for build and party variety, and the strategic combat.

Larian makes great games and I'll be there for this on day 1 early access. But I'd be more hyped if they stayed more true to the roots of the series.

Nickolaidas

Banned
The more i think of this the less patience i have for people saying larian dumping turn based combat on BG is somehow preferable to them keeping the original battle system. There aren't any two ways about it: in the 90s, devoted DnD fans broke their balls to develop a complex real time interpretation of the battle simulations of the table top game. They saw that there was a dream behind the table top system and that the processing capabilities of computers could make that dream real. They succeeded, their games are considered to this day to be at the peak of their genre.

Oh yes, it was fucking awesome when an enemy mage would start the battle by casting mass confusion on my party and everyone would start running around, while the only PC who could cast dispel magic on ONE of the PCs was almost guaranteed to fail, BECAUSE THE FUCKING SPELL WOULD TARGET THE PLACE THE PC WAS STANDING AT THE TIME YOU CAST IT - meaning that by the time the spell is on its way to hit the character, the confused character has ran to the other side of the screen, making dispel magic fucking useless. What fun! What amazing times! What amazing battle system! How jolly it was when I reloaded the battle 20 times until I would get a chance to save vs this spell!

Fuck the real-time-pause RTUEIORUJADP battle system. Fuck it to hell, burn it to the ground, and I hope to God I don't ever see it in a D&D game ever again.

Baldur's Gate never became a cult hit because of the real-time pause system. People loved the lore, the setting, the characters, the music, the customization, the (back then) AAA production values and the cheating bullshit they would pull in order to spare themselves of difficult encounters (i.e. dying from a boss battle, then loading the game and casting fireball in the under-fog-of-war-area the boss character is in order to kill most of his underlings and damage him before the battle actually starts in order to have an edge when it does - yeah, we all did that).

This - BG3 - is the most D&D video game I've ever seen since Temple of Elemental Evil and I don't care what the BG1-2 purists say. They're a vocal minority whose only talent is making stupid memes on Reddit. They wear their nostalgia goggles proudly, forgetting the silliness the original games had and accusing Larian Studios of making BG3 is light-hearted adventure (which is another moronic complaint - was I the ONLY ONE who saw the fucking intro video or the teaser a year back ?).

Where I DO agree however, is that this game had no reason to be called Baldur's Gate 3, considering there's almost no connection story-wise between the games. They did this to have guaranteed sales from the purists, and that indeed seems to have backfired badly. Even those people who talk crap about Larian Studios right now admit that they would have no issues with this game at all if it was called D&D - Whatever. Which - in my opinion - would help Larian Studios stand out even MORE by making their own D&D IP, instead of just continuing an older one.

Sorry for sounding aggressive, but I cannot help but being frustrated at the amount of flak Larian is taking right now despite the fact that they seem to be making probably the best D&D game we'll ever get for quite awhile.

Last edited:

Lanrutcon

Any DnD ruleset would work in the BG battle system.

It's quite ballsy not to let reality get in the way of your opinions. I wish I had your moxie.

I've been playing replaying pillars of eternity and its sequel, deadfire must have just about the best application of this battle system... That's where I'll leave it.

Ah, Deadfire. Crashed and burned so hard. Never recovered. Why is it that when Larian decides to go turn-based suddenly the vocal few want to convince us that the world wanted rtwp instead...yet Deadfire sold like 4 copies? Maybe you lot should have put your money where your mouth is. And Kingmaker? you all bought that, right? No, you didn't. It's a damn fine piece of rtwp awesome and most of you complainers haven't even finished it. That's why you're getting turned-based BG3. You did this to yourself.

Man, I had no idea that PoE2 sold so poorly, the numbers are crazy low. I enjoyed it, and definitely thought that it improved on the first, though Pathfinder was a better game I thought.

I think BG2 had room to evolve, but in the areas of 3d, map detail.. frankly, the BG3 video looks amazing... Very interesting... just not the combat.

They do look good, I just prefer prerendered stuff over 3d models, but I'm probably in the minority there. The same minority that would prefer character portraits and just text over animated conversation pieces. I'm an old fart, what can I say.

Irobot82

It's quite ballsy not to let reality get in the way of your opinions. I wish I had your moxie.

Ah, Deadfire. Crashed and burned so hard. Never recovered. Why is it that when Larian decides to go turn-based suddenly the vocal few want to convince us that the world wanted rtwp instead...yet Deadfire sold like 4 copies? Maybe you lot should have put your money where your mouth is. And Kingmaker? you all bought that, right? No, you didn't. It's a damn fine piece of rtwp awesome and most of you complainers haven't even finished it. That's why you're getting turned-based BG3. You did this to yourself.

I tried playing Pathfinders but I couldn't get into it for some reason. I love PoE 1 and 2. I have the special edition cloth map version of PoE2. Maybe I need to look deeper into how to play Pathfinder. I don't like games that put a time limit on what I do though.

Karak

Big thanks to all you folks who watched the live stream with us and the podcast later. Saw a lot of usernames I recognized. Had a great time with you folks.
The game is shaping up and to me despite it feeling like DOS2.5. I think that is something that the lore, gameplay changes, rules changes, characters, and story will help out. Going to be interesting regardless

Irobot82

Big thanks to all you folks who watched the live stream with us and the podcast later. Saw a lot of usernames I recognized. Had a great time with you folks.
The game is shaping up and to me despite it feeling like DOS2.5. I think that is something that the lore, gameplay changes, rules changes, characters, and story will help out. Going to be interesting regardless

Woah ACG posts here? I love your stuff!

Lanrutcon

I tried playing Pathfinders but I couldn't get into it for some reason. I love PoE 1 and 2. I have the special edition cloth map version of PoE2. Maybe I need to look deeper into how to play Pathfinder. I don't like games that put a time limit on what I do though.

So look into the mods for Kingmaker (Steam workshop supported). You can turn them off.

I love turn-based combat, but goddamn if Kingmaker wasn't a fucking fantastic rtwp experience. I can't recommend it enough.

Irobot82

So look into the mods for Kingmaker (Steam workshop supported). You can turn them off.

I love turn-based combat, but goddamn if Kingmaker wasn't a fucking fantastic rtwp experience. I can't recommend it enough.

I think I just need to learn the mechanics a bit. But I vastly prefer rtwp to turn based.

I might be biased because I prefer TB, that being said, Larian nailed TB encounters with Div OS 1 and 2. That tactical approach to battles and how they set the battles up, wouldn't work or feel as engaging if it was real time. It would also be a freaking mess, with so much pausing required, that it may as well be TB.

The industry has moved away from Tb with Fallout and FF7 remake going a different direction. It's a shame, because TB is like chess when done right and it can be thoroughly enjoyable.

Plus, i can spark up a phat joint while playing and take my time thinking. Same goes with MtG

Irobot82

I might be biased because I prefer TB, that being said, Larian nailed TB encounters with Div OS 1 and 2. That tactical approach to battles and how they set the battles up, wouldn't work or feel as engaging if it was real time. It would also be a freaking mess, with so much pausing required, that it may as well be TB.

The industry has moved away from Tb with Fallout and FF7 remake going a different direction. It's a shame, because TB is like chess when done right and it can be thoroughly enjoyable.

Plus, i can spark up a phat joint while playing and take my time thinking. Same goes with MtG
FF7 is going to have a classic ATB mode like the original as an option.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Dissapointed? You don't even know how it feels. Have you seen Dungeon's and Dragon's: Dark Alliance .. imagine being a Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance fan, waiting for #3 also (it's been 15 years btw), and getting this :

Have YOU seen it? Because all we got so far was a clumsy cam CGI movie teaser. For all we know this could be exactly like the old games. Or it could be a badass Souls-like / Devil May Cry like game. Let's see before we judge, m'kay?

Thanks for the info. But I could go directly with the BGs no ? I am not "scared" to play old games (because they look extremely old school ^^)

Anyway I am really interested in this kind of RPG. I'll try to squeeze some in between others RPGs... The closest game from this genre (I think) I played was Dragon Age Origins and I loved it.

They're not exactly hard to get into thanks to the Enhanced Editions (User Interface improvements and modern compatibility); Controls are standard mouse + keyboard shortcuts, so controls are a non-issue (dunno how well this translates on touchscreen devices), allthough the path finding can be a bitch. Graphics are isometric 2D but scale well enough. The combat has its quirks, but it works and thanks to some solidly paced encounters, it's enjoyable, though it's very much based on preference. The only hurdle is learning a few things about an older version of the D&D ruleset, which i wouldn't even call a hurdle because you can do so in a couple of minutes thanks to the internet.

I'm not a fan, gave them a go each a couple of times (both the original versions on GOG and after that wen the Enhanced Editions came out) but dropped them after a few hours each because i couldn't get into the high fantasy vibe; But approachability was never an issue - I wouldn't call them old-school regardless that Throne of Bhaal came out 19 years ago. They're very streamlined compared to older PC Role playing games to begin with (older Gold Box CRPGs were not as approachable for me, took a little patience there.. now this is what i'd call old-school), so i always found dismissals tied with their age silly.

If you loved Dragon Age Origins (i also didn't like that either), you're probably going to love Baldur's Gate. I also want to seriously sit down and play these two behemoths from start to finish, but unfortunately i barely have any free time.

Last edited:
I've had time to rexamine my views since the game was released.. gone back and played BG2 and pillars of eternity a bunch...

I still think more or less the same. Their use of "vertical" levels is fantastic, the great detail and good characters are great.. but I still think, well to paraphrase one of the people who disagreed with me loudest earlier in the thread, that it doesn't have to be called BG3.. and the combat system is, i think, enough to make this closer to No Man's Sky in terms of potential hype payoff than Witcher 3. (Closer to, not the same as)

lefty1117

Gold Member
This seems like a very faithful interpretation of 5th ed D&D in a video game. Turn based sounds great to me - brings me back to the old Gold Box SSI games. Pool of Radiance, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought during the demo he was able to toggle between a turn based experience, and the real time w/ pause - what am I missing?

Ladioss

I feel for Larian, they we're fucked no matter what call they made.
Make it too similar to the originals: "Ugh, gaming has evolved, get with the times."
Make it too different from.the originals: "Argh, more of my precious childhood destroyed."

I like it, it warms my old and cold heart to see that people still care about D&D and a 20-years old cult CRPG (albeit set in a shit setting).

I actually couldn't stand Kingmaker at all until someone told me that a turn based mod exists. Now I consider it the best overall CRPG in years (but only with the mod).

Top Bottom