• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III |OT| Three times as awesome

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
No, it's not.
A different ruleset, a different progression system, a different itemization, a different art style, etc.

It DOES have some carry over from the Original SIn games, though, and that's a mixed bag. The chain/unchain system sucks, the party limit at 4 sucks, no night and day cycle sucks.
The combat is a net improvement, on the other hand.
It feels more like DoS2 than Baldur's Gate.

Dr_Salt

I'm having a blast with the game so far. If they fix the bugs and add a meaty story mode that lasts at least 40 hours I think this is gonna be a modern RPG classic.

Also dat ost is godlike.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
This game looks absolutely incredible! I thought Demon Souls looked pretty good but this game looks even better! Beautiful lighting, incredible detailed character faces, excellent animation, abundant FX, very high textures, a beautiful color palette and 4k/60FPS! Loving the game!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I refunded it after 110 minutes played. It seems fine and looks great, but I don't think I like anything about the story or characters so far and the battle system seems inferior to Divinity at first impression.

I'll definitely give it a look once it's finished, but I'm certainly rather disappointed at this point. It's a shame, because I could see myself being far more interested if it wasn't called Baldur's Gate and didn't need to hamfist the D&D rules and abilities into the battle system (maybe it gets better later on).

Yeah, I refunded it after 110 minutes played. It seems fine and looks great, but I don't think I like anything about the story or characters so far and the battle system seems inferior to Divinity at first impression.

I'll definitely give it a look once it's finished, but I'm certainly rather disappointed at this point. It's a shame, because I could see myself being far more interested if it wasn't called Baldur's Gate and didn't need to hamfist the D&D rules and abilities into the battle system (maybe it gets better later on).
Eww that is not good.

I hope the whole stupid "orcs and other races will no longer be considered evil" type of bullshit doesn't carry over into this but then again that whole decision by WotC was pretty recent.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Eww that is not good.

I hope the whole stupid "orcs and other races will no longer be considered evil" type of bullshit doesn't carry over into this but then again that whole decision by WotC was pretty recent.

Don't mind me. I just kind of associate D&D with vanilla-ass fantasy and mostly sincere characters and actually like that about it. This one is too fantastical and too snarky for me. I'm sure some people love it. Steam lets you refund as long as you have under two hours of gameplay (and within two weeks of purchase) so it's safe to try if you're curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't mind me. I just kind of associate D&D with vanilla-ass fantasy and mostly sincere characters and actually like that about it. This one is too fantastical and too snarky for me. I'm sure some people love it. Steam lets you refund as long as you have under two hours of gameplay (and within two weeks of purchase) so it's safe to try if you're curious.
I'd get it on GOG.

I hate when snarkiness is overdone. It's why I cannot stand most TV shows. That part sounds particularly cringey and annoying.

Nickolaidas

Banned
This game looks absolutely incredible! I thought Demon Souls looked pretty good but this game looks even better! Beautiful lighting, incredible detailed character faces, excellent animation, abundant FX, very high textures, a beautiful color palette and 4k/60FPS! Loving the game!
For some reason it looks blurry on my PC screen, despite going at 4K with the best anti-aliasing option. Not sure in which dimension the textures looked sharper and better than those of Demon's Souls, tbh.

I'm watching a playthrough and I have no idea what is going on.

First, I haven't played D&D since 2nd Edition so now you have to roll ABOVE your score i.e. if you have a Dexterity of 10, you now roll ABOVE that to succeed? Oh my.

Also is the Nautiloid flying through the Nine Hells? I realize they did away with Spelljammers so I guess the Ilithid ships Plane Shift?

Look at dat little Intellect Devourer following you around! Omg can you keep it? Look at dem little legs!

Sentenza

I've been going hard on this game. Job hours.
Same (at expenses of my healthy sleep) and I'm loving it more and more as the hours go.
The more stuff I find, the more impressed I am with their representation of the Forgotten Realms... And we are still at the "warm up" part with the boring levels, the lack of more exotic classes and races, etc.
Some NPCs, quests and dialogues are fucking great, too.

I swear if by ANY CHANCE they would end up listening feedback about the two changes I want the most (six-men party and a proper "point, click and drag" control scheme that doesn't inspire violence when out of combat) this may even end up surpassing BG2 for me.

Lanrutcon

First, I haven't played D&D since 2nd Edition so now you have to roll ABOVE your score i.e. if you have a Dexterity of 10, you now roll ABOVE that to succeed? Oh my.

Your scores start between 8 and 20, and get better as you level (at breakpoints). This translates into a +X score (has been this way for a few editions now). So want to kick in the door? Your strength of 18 is a +4 bonus, you're level 1 so your proficiency bonus is +2 (universal). Athletics is the applicable skill, and you're proficient, so you get +6 to the roll. Target number is 20 (hard check), so you roll a D20, add 6 and try to beat (or equal) 20.

Did the game screw that up?

Your scores start between 8 and 20, and get better as you level (at breakpoints). This translates into a +X score (has been this way for a few editions now). So want to kick in the door? Your strength of 18 is a +4 bonus, you're level 1 so your proficiency bonus is +2 (universal). Athletics is the applicable skill, and you're proficient, so you get +6 to the roll. Target number is 20 (hard check), so you roll a D20, add 6 and try to beat (or equal) 20.

Did the game screw that up?
I'm already confused but it's late.

In old ass 2nd edition, if you made a Dexterity check for example, you had to roll under the number you had (minus any bonuses of course). So if you had 16 Dexterity, you had to roll a 16 or lower on a d20 dice.

I know jack ball shit about 5th edition, but to succeed you had to role higher (?) At least that is what it looked like from what I was watching.

I'm still used to THAC0 and AC because I'm old and useless.

Last edited:

Mildudon

I'm watching a playthrough and I have no idea what is going on.

Also is the Nautiloid flying through the Nine Hells? I realize they did away with Spelljammers so I guess the Ilithid ships Plane Shift?

Look at dat little Intellect Devourer following you around! Omg can you keep it? Look at dem little legs!

I have only DM`ed 5E. But thing that happen in the world or you would like to do have a DC. It goes from 5 very easy to 30 near impossible. You have Roll the DC or above it. Then there is Saving throws also see link below. But they work much the same way.

Lanrutcon

In old ass 2nd edition, if you made a Dexterity check for example, you had to roll under the number you had (minus any bonuses of course). So if you had 16 Dexterity, you had to roll a 16 or lower on a d20 dice.

I know jack ball shit about 5th edition, but to succeed you had to role higher (?) At least that is what it looked like from what I was watching.

Ah. So 5e tries to unify or at least standardize the system. You're probably overthinking it, coming from a much more rule intensive version of the system. When you're looking at ability scores, the number actually means squat: the bonus it translates to means everything. 17/18 is +4, 15/16 is +3, 13/14 is +2, etc. The +X is what's used in rolls.

I wonder if the release version of BG3 will have like, a light rules primer on a help page or something.

Gaelyon

Gold Member

You don't roll under your ability anymore, you must roll equal or higher than the Difficulty Class ("DC") which is just a number to beat with a D20 + your bonuses, which are your ability bonus (like 18 strenght is +4) and your skill bonus (if you're trained in athletics and try to jump over a pit for instance). The DM set the DC and any appropriate mod to the roll (there's tables suggesting DC and simple rules for circonstantial bonus/malus). All the game is handled on this kind of checks : To hit (attack roll to beat the AC (which act as the DC), Save rolls, Skill checks, ability check ...

Roll a D20, add bonuses, beat/equal the DC. Simple.

Last edited:
Damn I was hoping the animation hotfix was coming today; got spoiled after 3 straight days of hot fixes

Edit: also am I the only one where everyone's first 2 lines of dialogue their mouths dont move?

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
I'm sorry what?
I complained that the graphics looked blurry and had aliasing. Turns out that before you start the game, you have the option to run it either on Vulcan, or Direct X 11. I was playing on Vulcan. On Direct X 11, the graphics are sharp, crisp, and the 2D UI looks crystal sharp and clear.

Ivory Blood

I complained that the graphics looked blurry and had aliasing. Turns out that before you start the game, you have the option to run it either on Vulcan, or Direct X 11. I was playing on Vulcan. On Direct X 11, the graphics are sharp, crisp, and the 2D UI looks crystal sharp and clear.
Strange. I played it on Vulcan, cause DX11 was mentioned to have crashes, and it all was crystal clear.

93EgRvO.jpg

Last edited:

Irobot82

can you post some screen shot comparisons?

Nickolaidas

Banned
can you post some screen shot comparisons?
Vulcan

w59p13r.jpg

Direct X11

SnedRxd.jpg

Not entirely sure why, but when posted here, Vulcan looks less crappy (had to make the pics JPG, though - that made both of them blurrier).

But you can still see that the armor of my character looks sharper on DX11, as well as the grass. The character's hair also look cleaner and sharper on DX11 if you click on the pics.

Last edited:

Irobot82

Vulcan

w59p13r.jpg

Direct X11

SnedRxd.jpg

Not entirely sure why, but when posted here, Vulcan looks less crappy (had to make the pics JPG, though - that made both of them blurrier).

But you can still see that the armor of my character looks sharper on DX11, as well as the grass. The character's hair also look cleaner and sharper on DX11 if you click on the pics.
That is odd but I do see it. I don't have the problem on Vulkan...very strange.

Edit: looking at the two pictures. The dudes feet touch the toolbars but the size of him is different. Largerin Vulkan. Are you rendering a lower resolution in vulkan?

Last edited:

John2290

I'm reading some really bad stuff now that people have carved through it. Weak story? Weak world? Weak goals? Weak characters? Weak decisions? C'mon. Someone talk some sense here... Is it weak?

GHG

Gold Member
I'm reading some really bad stuff now that people have carved through it. Weak story? Weak world? Weak goals? Weak characters? Weak decisions? C'mon. Someone talk some sense here... Is it weak?

If you decide that you only want to look at the negative comments despite the fact that the vast majority of impressions out there are positive then yeh, sure.

Mister Wolf

I'm loving it. Their trash is my treasure. Not knowing anything about the dungeons & dragons lore it even made me start looking up info on youtube and fan wikis.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Those are probably BG3 haters who wanted the game to run on the Infinity Engine or something and can't accept the fact the battle is turn-based.

Do you like strategic turn-based RPGs?
Do you like the Forgotten Realms setting?
Do you like interesting characters and solid dialog?
Do you like a vast bestiary?
Do you like the D&D 5th Edition Rules?

If the answer is yes to at least 3 out of 5, you'll love this game.

Imagine that in the beginning, or as the game progresses, you may become enemies with some of the people in your group, and they'll leave the party or attempt to kill you if your goals aren't aligned.

Last edited:

John2290

Those are probably BG3 haters who wanted the game to run on the Infinity Engine or something and can't accept the fact the battle is turn-based.

Do you like strategic turn-based RPGs?
Do you like the Forgotten Realms setting?
Do you like interesting characters and solid dialog?
Do you like a vast bestiary?
Do you like the D&D 5th Edition Rules?

If the answer is yes to at least 3 out of 5, you'll love this game.

Imagine that in the beginning, or as the game progresses, you may become enemies with some of the people in your group, and they'll leave the party or attempt to kill you if your goals aren't aligned.
I like Divinity OS and Divinity OS 2 and think Baldurs gate, which I'm playing now is okay to decent. I've no experience with D&D besides the two fools who ruined Game of thrones.

And yeah, makes sense. I'll hold off on judgement until I play, everything seems to have some angle these days for someone to hate and maliciously so.

John2290

If you decide that you only want to look at the negative comments despite the fact that the vast majority of impressions out there are positive then yeh, sure.
I'm not, it just seems like there is a hell of a lot of people hating but I'd forgotten that BG purists are obviously going to hate. I suppose I'll have to wait til 1.0 to find out myself.

GHG

Gold Member
I'm not, it just seems like there is a hell of a lot of people hating but I'd forgotten that BG purists are obviously going to hate. I suppose I'll have to wait til 1.0 to find out myself.

The steam rating is very positive with 84% of people who have reviewed it saying they like it.

The people hating on it are clearly in the minority.

I like Divinity OS and Divinity OS 2 and think Baldurs gate, which I'm playing now is okay to decent. I've no experience with D&D besides the two fools who ruined Game of thrones.

And yeah, makes sense. I'll hold off on judgement until I play, everything seems to have some angle these days for someone to hate and maliciously so.

So are the DOS games good?

This questions is also for people who've played BG3. I'm sure I'll have a hunger for more after I do a 2nd or 3rd BG3 run

VFXVeteran

Banned
I've played BG2 and both NWN games. I also did some P&P this year online. Also played DoS2. The game is great so far! I don't look at it with a microscope like others do.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This freaking games runs ok on an intel NUC XD
the hell is this... ?

Anyway snagged the game for 25 euros on GoG seems about the correct price one would pay for an EA title

Last edited:

Tallahassee

The steam rating is very positive with 84% of people who have reviewed it saying they like it.

The people hating on it are clearly in the minority.

because it looks and feels the same as D:OS, Larian/D:OS fans automatically love it thus your majority. they loved it even before it was released, could have any name attached with the same result.

if tomorrow FromSoftware announce Icewind Dale 3, with gameplay straight from the Souls games... guess what. it would sell like hot cakes and From/Souls fans would love it.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Not really digging it so far, combat isn't even close to what I enjoyed in bg2/id-id2, and there isn't a lot of it. Maybe when I get a few more levels it'll get better.

Sentenza

Yeah, everything is so fucking terrible.
That must be why even as an incomplete alpha it's quickly becoming the CRPG I've been the most obsessed with in years, I guess.
Also, Holy Goddamn Christ, this "first act only" is fucking massive. Admittedly I wasted some time trying different builds and characters, but I still keep crossing more and more content and it never seem to end.
People are taking about entire areas I have yet to visit, too.
If this outskirt is just an appetizer and the "the second act will be the biggest one" I have no idea what a monster this one could turn out to be.

So are the DOS games good?

This questions is also for people who've played BG3. I'm sure I'll have a hunger for more after I do a 2nd or 3rd BG3 run
They are definitely solid and they could have been proper "modern classics" if not for some very questionable design decision that diluted their appeal a bit.
Incidentally BG3 is topping them in pretty much any possible way. I keep playing it and being constantly impressed by its production value. Some models/voice acting/animations feel almost TOO GOOD to be used on DOZENS of throw away characters that have just one or two lines.
It may also be my favorite combat system since Temple of Elemental Evil. Admittedly, exactly like that one and everything D&D based, it takes few levels to "kick in" and initially (levels 1-3) feels way too basic.
On a side note: they really nailed spellcasting with those animations. Every spell has a convincing "kick" and looks excellent. Even casting the most stupid and basic firebolt feels cool here.

Last edited:

DJT123

I can already tell Larian knocked this out of the park seeing sales approximations & level of critical reception. Hell, it still may not be what I was looking for from BG 3- but BG 3 is already bigger than the Baldurs Gate IP ever was.

Last edited:

Woo-Fu

Banned
I can already tell Larian knocked this out of the park seeing sales approximations & level of critical reception. Hell, it still may not be what I was looking for from BG 3- but BG 3 is already bigger than the Baldurs Gate IP ever was.
Except BG2 has held on for 20 years. BG3 will be forgotten in a year or two, I suspect.

DJT123

Except BG2 has held on for 20 years. BG3 will be forgotten in a year or two, I suspect.
Yeah, I'm hoping it doesn't turn out that way for me personally. Either way, as a pure businessman in a "niche" genre Swen is dominating the PC space right now.

For some reason it looks blurry on my PC screen, despite going at 4K with the best anti-aliasing option. Not sure in which dimension the textures looked sharper and better than those of Demon's Souls, tbh.
I strongly suggest you use Reshade to sharpen the image then. Nothing has to look blurry on PC.

Last edited:
Yeah. It will be the same as Divinity, but it won't be a generation-defining game.

Games that really left the mark in the game industry are all kinda special. They were either the first ones or unique in some areas.

Sentenza

I doubt it.
It's already pretty damn solid as it is now and if they address a couple of things and correct their aim on some features, it's on its path to surpass the past games.
Some "moment to moment" gameplay can already make me think "Holy shit, this feels more 'genuine D&D experience' than BG2 ever did".

Last edited:

DJT123

I doubt it.
It's already pretty damn solid as it is now and if they address a couple of things and correct their aim on some features, it's on its path to surpass the past games.
Some "moment to moment" gameplay can already make me think "Holy shit, this feels more 'genuine D&D experience' than BG2 ever did".
How are the characters/party members writing? Not too bad?

Last edited:

Sentenza

How are the characters/party members writing? Not too bad?
It's not like there's a whole lot about them in the first act. I definitely would prefer to see them interjecting MORE in dialogues.
But what's there is not half bad and I can definitely see them growing on me. They all seem to have a less obvious angle.
For instance I've seen a lot of people dismiss Shadowheart as "bitchy and angry". She's neither. She's a bit a guarded and on the "sassy" side of thing, but you can already see her warming a bit to you after few hours.
Lez'something (the grinch lady) is a ball of rage and pride at first. Like may of her race she's single minded about ONE goal and everything else is worthless in her eyes, but a wake up call is on the way.
Gale seems like the typical airhead blabbermouth scholar. You know, the chatty, awkward nerdy type that always says a line too much. At time hilarious, at time slightly annoying. But you quickly start to get the sense that there's a lot more he's not saying upfront.
Wyll (which turns out is not just called "Will" because his father couldn't spell properly) is a likeable wannabe hero that always inflates the tales of his past achievements. He too will shortly turn out to have a big secret he's trying to hide from the parrty.
Astarion is a Dorian Grey/Lestat wannabe that at least so far seems to just love flaunting his sadism, his sexual degeneracy and his overall smugness. My least favorite so far as an archetype but I can't exclude a good arc ahead, yet.

What is impressing me on the other hand is a lot of random NPCs you cross in your questing around. There are plenty that are wonderfully expressive in facial features, gestures and voice acting and their writing seems to be pretty goddamn solid.
Auntie Ethiel comes immediately to mind, but she's not alone.

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug, but if people were a bit more honest about it you'd hear around more admission that some of these characters in BG3 are already topping by a wide margin most of the performances in the old BG1 and 2 (which to be honest were never anything special, anyway).

Last edited:
Top Bottom