• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baldur's Gate III |OT| Three times as awesome

Ryzaki009

Hows the game at this point? still a bug fest? thinking about picking it up.

It's EA it's going to remain a bugfest for a while to come :p Latest patch even broke the romance scenes they *just* put in lol.

But honestly I wouldn't buy it at this point unless you want to help development. I bought it but that's because I bought the other 2 games EA and I already know this is something I'm gonna put hundreds of hours into.

Last edited:

Irobot82

Honestly regardless of what class they may add I'm hoping to see the temporary level cap raised to 5, because at 4 there's still barely enough differentiation to tell some classes apart.
I've been wondering about that lately. The EA part of the game is what...less than 1/5? 1/4" of the game? Didn't they say the level cap would ultimately be 8? Feels really low.

Sentenza

I've been wondering about that lately. The EA part of the game is what...less than 1/5? 1/4" of the game? Didn't they say the level cap would ultimately be 8? Feels really low.
The EA may even be a tenth for what we know. Act 1 is not even complete here, the full game is supposed to be a three acts story, but they also said the second one is going to be the largest by far (and if DOS 2 is the comparison I don't struggle to believe it).
Also no, they said the cap was supposed to be a level 10, it was never 8. But since then they also came back to say "Nevermind, it will probably going higher than that since we are building way more content than originally estimated".
So at very least the cap will be level 11. Possibly even higher.
I'd be rather happy with, say, level 14. The range between 5 and 14 is where most seem to agree D&D is at its best. Before that it's a bit plain and lacking in options, after that everything breaks almost hilariously.

Irobot82

The EA may even be a tenth for what we know. Act 1 is not even complete here, the full game is supposed to be a three acts story, but they also said the second one is going to be the largest by far (and if DOS 2 is the comparison I don't struggle to believe it).
Also no, they said the cap was supposed to be a level 10, it was never 8. But since then they also came back to say "Nevermind, it will probably going higher than that since we are building way more content than originally estimated".
So at very least the cap will be level 11. Possibly even higher.
I'd be rather happy with, say, level 14. The range between 5 and 14 is where most seem to agree D&D is at its best. Before that it's a bit plain and lacking in options, after that everything breaks almost hilariously.
That sounds better. Like 14-16 MAX before it gets silly.

I'm really hoping they will fix the horrendous UI and spell tips soon. They really need to follow Solasta's lead on that one. BG3's sucks bad. It's just a quick toolbar slot right now. The descriptions don't really explain things well at all.

Ryzaki009

Honestly regardless of what class they may add I'm hoping to see the temporary level cap raised to 5, because at 4 there's still barely enough differentiation to tell some classes apart.

To be fair that's probably exactly why they've been avoiding level 5 so far. We'll probably get it later because it changes a lot about the classes and we don't even have all the classes yet.

Last edited:

OsirisBlack

Banned
a good level cap for d and d keeping all classes in mind is 15 so single class characters can gain access to job defining abilities and spells. The only issue is some classes don’t t get their capstone abilities until 17 or 20 the problem is at 17+ Every pc is game breaking. I don’t think 10 is bad as far as a hard cap but 14 would be a really good sweet spot keeping multi classing in mind. Everyone loves their rogue/ranger combos... meanwhile I’m sitting here echo knight fighter six wizard school of necromancy 8 .... wish they went all in with all of the book options but then the game would likely never be released.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Does this game have an estimated release date?

Sentenza

Does this game have an estimated release date?
It released in early access at the beginning of October and Larian said upfront they expect at least a full year of early access (like for their previous titles), which would mean Autumn 2021.
So, given that this is software development we are talking about and early estimation are ALWAYS wrong and way too conservative, I'm going to guess it will release between winter and spring 2022.

Sentenza

Speaking of these kind of RPGs, Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous just entered the beta and I'm fuckin MAD because I bought the game into Alpha early access for something like 40 buck in November... and now it turns out that to access the new beta I'd need to be into the 114 dollars pledge tier, so paying almost an 80 dollah surplus.

Ryzaki009

Speaking of these kind of RPGs, Pathfinder Wrath of the Righteous just entered the beta and I'm fuckin MAD because I bought the game into Alpha early access for something like 40 buck in November... and now it turns out that to access the new beta I'd need to be into the 114 dollars pledge tier, so paying almost an 80 dollah surplus.

Yeah that shit is kind of insane. I wish they had done it the way BG3 did where's you just buy the game early to get in EA in it's entirety.

Sentenza

Yeah that shit is kind of insane. I wish they had done it the way BG3 did where's you just buy the game early to get in EA in it's entirety.
Worst thing about it? I barely even played the Alpha because it turned out the turn-based mode was missing there (and I really don't enjoy that brand of RTWP), so I paid for nothing.
Now they added the turn-based mode in the beta but I can't play it.

I'm all for supporting developers who do "niche genres", but this kinda makes you regret giving them money to begin with.

People complained hard about BG3 being sold at full price in EA ... devs can't win lol
Well, that was a stupid reaction, honestly.
They are selling the game at its full price no matter when you are buying it. And if you paid in advance you have access early. Sounds fair to me.
And it's exactly what Larian did in the past with the two OS as well.

What Owlcat is doing with WotR is a bit different, instead. It's literally tiered access to different builds and the entry point for the beta is above 100 dollars.

Last edited:

Ryzaki009

Worst thing about it? I barely even played the Alpha because it turned out the turn-based mode was missing there (and I really don't enjoy that brand of RTWP), so I paid for nothing.
Now they added the turn-based mode in the beta but I can't play it.

I'm all for supporting developers who do "niche genres", but this kinda makes you regret giving them money to begin with.

Well, that was a stupid reaction, honestly.
They are selling the game at its full price no matter when you are buying it. And if you paid in advance you have access early. Sounds fair to me.
And it's exactly what Larian did in the past with the two OS as well.

What Owlcat is doing with WotR is a bit different, instead. It's literally tiered access to different builds and the entry point for the beta is above 100 dollars.

Ouch. That really sucks. Turn based is the main reason I enjoyed kingmaker because the amount of bs it throws you later is too much for rtwp for me.

And yeah this is pretty bleh. If they must have the higher price they could've just had it for slackerbackers and gave the earlier kickstarters access to both. (Especially given how buggy Kingmaker launched.)

People complained hard about BG3 being sold at full price in EA ... devs can't win lol
It was stupid. It's exactly the same thing they did for both the div games as Sent said. You buy it early, get the EA and the full game when it releases. It's a really clean system. Most of the whining was from people thinking they should get it cheaper (Which makes 0 sense because it's essentially a preorder.)

Mister Wolf

Ouch. That really sucks. Turn based is the main reason I enjoyed kingmaker because the amount of bs it throws you later is too much for rtwp for me.

And yeah this is pretty bleh. If they must have the higher price they could've just had it for slackerbackers and gave the earlier kickstarters access to both. (Especially given how buggy Kingmaker launched.)

It was stupid. It's exactly the same thing they did for both the div games as Sent said. You buy it early, get the EA and the full game when it releases. It's a really clean system. Most of the whining was from people thinking they should get it cheaper (Which makes 0 sense because it's essentially a preorder.)
Agreed. If they had went the BG3 route I would have paid for Pathfinder right now to test the early access.

CitizenZ

Banned
As i have been watching some of the Pathfinder beta, i wish they would just have released a polished, ready to go Part 1 instead of early access . Seriously, the games are so deep in builds and choice how many are really going to run through the entire 200hr+ campaign multiple times? A shorter polished first/2nd/3rd/4th act would greatly increase that experimentation.

Last edited:
Another big-ass update just rolled into town.

Last edited:

Sentenza

I'm getting more and more disillusioned with this game at every passing update.
The production value is great for the genre, but on a mechanical level Larian keeps messing up things and blatantly ignoring every major issue that the community is vocal about.

Lanrutcon

I've been following Pathfinder: WotR and that game is shaping up to be a fucking beast. We're talking BG2 + Throne level of depth here. Fuck streamlining things or accessibility: they're going for absolutely epic.

BG3 is...uh...appealing to a different audience. Different strokes, I guess.

It's a good time to be into these kind of games though.

Top Bottom