• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
fistful is gone.

003CMT_Natalie_Portman_019.jpg

994LTP_Natalie_Portman_099.jpg

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
I wonder if hell actually end up paying $50...

Didnt he mention in a post a few months back one of the things he most enjoyed was being popular on Neogaf?

I learned another valuable piece of information by fistfulofmetal's actions, thank you. I find this particular manner of his banning to be even more amusing given this thread.

It's past 2am and I'm not sure what just happened. Fistful is banned because he criticised one of the bannable offences. So does criticising one of the rules earn you a ban or was it the way he said? :confusedsmiley:

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Meus Renaissance said:
It's past 2am and I'm not sure what just happened. Fistful is banned because he criticised one of the bannable offences. So does criticising one of the rules earn you a ban or was it the way he said? :confusedsmiley:
he broke the rule, 'don't be a fucking prick'.

it is a rule to live your life by.

Tacitus_

Meus Renaissance said:

Evilore is... touchy about ad-revenue.

E: and with good reason, I can't even imagine the costs of running a forum like this, a smaller one I know already opted for "donations" which grant a customisable title and a private subforum.

Rez said:
he broke the rule, 'don't be a fucking prick'.

it is a rule to live your life by.

Well then you'd think most of GAF would be banned because I'm sure some comments have come across as 'prick-like' to someone reading it even though they were not intended as such.

numble

Meus Renaissance said:
Well then you'd think most of GAF would be banned because I'm sure some comments have come across as 'prick-like' to someone reading it even though they were not intended as such.
Well, he basically came off as saying he's entitled to not see ads and asked to be charged money instead if they really want to be using users to keep the forum afloat--he got what he asked for.

Salazar

numble said:
Well, he basically came off as saying he's entitled to not see ads and asked to be charged money instead if they really want to be using users to keep the forum afloat--he got what he asked for.

Punishment in the form of what was desired. How elegantly classical.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Tacitus_ said:
Evilore is... touchy about ad-revenue.

It's not ad revenue I'm touchy about.

Before I took over in 2004, we were being hosted on the Gamesquad network, given a box to use in exchange for their banner ads. They ran anything and everything through those banners for the best financial outcome: pop-ups and malware galore, to the point where I couldn't bear to even come to GAF (as a goddamn admin) without editing my hosts file.

When I took responsibility for GAF, I wanted to make sure that didn't happen again. So since then GAF hasn't been overrun with advertisements or popups or malware, everything is unobtrusive and user-friendly, but there are also no burdens placed on the community to keep the site afloat, either. Play within the rules and all's well.

I don't particularly care if you decide to be an asshole and adblock privately, but flaunting the fact that you do it and/or suggesting that other members do it I take personally considering the aforementioned efforts taken and that the ads are the only source of revenue for the site. It's worse than piracy, and anyone who enjoys coming here should be ashamed to do it.

I'm still trying to figure out why I was banned for saying that although the art is nice, halo 3 should look better than it does, especially since its on the 360.

I was also banned for saying Itagaki looked like a dragon. Although he is an asshole at times(an entertaining one), I guess I can understand that one. Someone did call him an oatmeal cookie though, and they were untouched.

*shrugs* I still love this place, even with the shenanigans.

EviLore said:
I guess its one of those issues where people don't really care to think about(or are ignorant to) the other side things. It makes perfect sense as to why it is a bannable offense.

Odrion

Banned
What is the revenue for neogaf? I always wondered how lucrative it was to stay afloat seeing how unbothering the ads are (and why would you block the ads here? Between chubby dating sites and the times they become ironic to the topic titles, they're one of the best things about this site.) Would there ever be a dark future where we'd have ign style interruptions and adspace for our account info?

Odrion said:
What is the revenue for neogaf? I always wondered how lucrative it was to stay afloat seeing how unbothering the ads are (and why would you block the ads here? Between chubby dating sites and the times they become ironic to the topic titles, they're one of the best things about this site.) Would there ever be a dark future where we'd have ign style interruptions and adspace for our account info?

Don't forget that people who have adblock won't actually see the ads until they give GAF the green light in Adblock. I didn't know back when I was lurking until I checked GAF at uni and noticed there were ads and figured asked a friend about it and got the scoop. So I whitelisted GAF.

In terms of adverts, they're barely noticable, unobtrusive, often very funny in relation to the post and are just plain.. normal I guess. To me, this is how advertising should always be: obvious but unobtrusive.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Odrion said:
What is the revenue for neogaf? I always wondered how lucrative it was to stay afloat seeing how unbothering the ads are

I tried doing a google image search for "diamond encrusted throne of whores" but it didn't turn up anything. You'll have to settle for the mental image.

Sanjay

Aegus said:
Basically the thread itself was never modded or mods never went in. So basically there was a 9 month old thread with ban worthy stuff. People were getting banned for things left, right and centre that they'd said months ago.

Then I believe someone uncovered a pic of one of the mods.....

And now the biggest thread in OT is dead and everyone has moved to a different place

I don't remember the thing about a picture of a mod being posted but that thread moved so fast it was hard to keep up most the time so I may have missed that, but what most people got banned for was the football banter between the members when it went beyond the norm with excessive remarks with each other then one member said its been like that for the past 9 months and said you should read the whole thread, thread was huge well you see they tried to mess with the bull, they got the horns in the end. He was a Liverpool fan, they have no luck what so ever :D

pakkit

Banned
EviLore said:
It's worse than piracy, and anyone who enjoys coming here should be ashamed to do it.
I was with you right up until there.

Stealing/piracy is a crime. Blocking ads is not.

Of course it'll piss you off since you're the person running this site, but it's still not a crime and it makes a lot of ad-ridden sites (which this one is not) a lot more bearable.

I don't even AdBlock, so I don't know why I'm typing up my own funeral.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You know, you can applaud fistful's banning all you want, but I feel bad for the poor guy that has to take up his mantle after we've conducted the lottery.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Since were kind of on the topic of GAF's income/sustainability do you have a "real" job, Evilore?
Or is the site enough to support you?

Just curious, I've always wondered.

Ardorx

Banned
EviLore said:
It's worse than piracy, and anyone who enjoys coming here should be ashamed to do it.

One heavily pirated game can cost hundreds of people their jobs, how is blocking ads worse than that? I assume because blocking advertisements on NeoGAF directly effects you, but even still you have to realize that's an absurd statement.

Ardorx said:
One heavily pirated game can cost hundreds of people their jobs, how is blocking ads worse than that? I assume because blocking advertisements on NeoGAF directly effects you, but even still you have to realize that's an absurd statement.
Certainly a crazy statement, but I'm pretty sure he didn't mean it literally.

Ardorx said:

Thousands come here to have fun. If you cheat the ads, there is a chance that we will no longer have fun.

Not absurd in the slightest.

Shurs

fistfulofmetal said:
Being banned because you don't want to see ads is one of the silliest things I can imagine. It's also extremely petty. I'm not here to make this forum money. If they want that then they should start charging us. It's not my problem or responsibility to keep this forum afloat financially.

But you are here. And GAF wouldn't be sustainable in its current form without ads. Besides, the ads are about as unobtrusive as you'll find.

Edit: I see Fistful was banned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvAv5WYVC6c&feature=related

Vek

Ardorx said:
I assume the costs involved with running GAF aren't low (otherwise we'd never get those error 500s), so if we had no ads we'd have no GAF and that may be worse than losing jobs (not to make light of it, but other jobs can be found) as there's only one GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom