• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bandai Namco US PR: Declined Attack on Titan 3DS + PxZ/Naruto PC sales comment

MrT-Tar

Also Project x Zone also had the effect of promoting other Namco/SEGA/Capcom games. Since I finished the game, I've become aware of games I had previously never heard of (Dynamite Cop) and am actively planning to buy others (God Eater and Darkstalkers)

damn, projecto crossezan sold 10x more than they expected? that's hella impressive. that's like 20x more sales than it actually deserved

Loona

The charm of PxZ and NxC was in the writing and attention to detail - I'll welcome more in the series, but tweaks to the gameplay could be welcome.
Glad to know it sold well, making sequels more likely.

Bandai Namco should consider a sub-only localization of Reve Unitia (and retail at least GS-exclusive of course), as I can highly understand such an undertaking it would require to get all the VA back for each character.

How did it go with Radiant Mythology 1 on PSP?

The charm of PxZ and NxC was in the writing and attention to detail - I'll welcome more in the series, but tweaks to the gameplay could be welcome.
Glad to know it sold well, making sequels more likely.

yeah, PxZ is loaded with quality fanservice at the very least. It's worth a shot if you're familiar with a lot of the source material but I bought it mainly because I was intrigued by the gameplay. I dun goofed.

I'd check out an improved sequel for sure

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, PxZ is loaded with quality fanservice at the very least. It's worth a shot if you're familiar with a lot of the source material but I bought it mainly because I was intrigued by the gameplay. I dun goofed.

I'd check out an improved sequel for sure
PxZ was the improved sequel.

Takao

Banned
I wonder why that is? Tales probably sells alot more than other RPGs like the Atelier games right?

Different publishers and different projects have different expectations. Some companies might be fine with selling 20k copies of a game while others would be displeased with 75k. Most of the non-GBA Tales of the World games came out on PSP during the era where the platform was in decline in the west, and Bandai Namco's localization history with the series was still spotty. They've gotten a lot better as of late, so I wouldn't rule out the 3DS game yet.

Bandai Namco should consider a sub-only localization of Reve Unitia (and retail at least GS-exclusive of course), as I can highly understand such an undertaking it would require to get all the VA back for each character.

If you're asking if it had a dub, it did. I can't remember if it was a full one, though. If you're asking if it sold well, there's probably a reason none of the other Radiant Mythologies left Japan.

They dubbed it but Radiant Mythology 1 didn't have that many characters (even with all the Tales cast and original, it probably wasn't anymore characters than your usual Tales game) and most of them were from either unreleased in the West Tales games or undubbed games or original to the game.

I believe they got back most of the voice cast expect for Reid, Lloyd and Raine. And maybe Genis?

dacuk

Involve Nintendo, ask them permission to use their IP, and request Intelligent Systems to manage the battle systems.

Profit!

Really glad to hear that for PxZ and Naruto PC.
I think Namco really has an audience on PC (their F2P titles like Ace Combat would fit), and fighting games really prove once again they have an audience as well on this platform.

NxC and PxZ are a great idea, and even if the latter was a disappointment (gameplay wasn't as deep and story/missions were sometimes waaaay too long), they need to continue like this and expand on it (more characters, references, publishers...).i
A PxZ with Nintendo and some others like Konami would be a dream come true

Edit:

Monolith didn't make it, it was Banpresto if I remember well. Monolith is credited because they gave some advices and designed/made the original concept and system in NxC.

They dubbed it but Radiant Mythology 1 didn't have that many characters (even with all the Tales cast and original, it probably wasn't anymore characters than your usual Tales game) and most of them were from either unreleased in the West Tales games or undubbed games or original to the game.

I believe they got back most of the voice cast expect for Reid, Lloyd and Raine. And maybe Genis?

It'd be wonderful if Reve Unitia came over with all the English voice actors, but they seemingly don't want to put forth that effort, shocking.

JPGames.de: The next questions revolves around a Tales game that was never released outside of Japan: Tales of the Tempest. Is there a chance for a remake?

Baba: In Japan we were discussing a remake of Tales of the Tempest for quite a while. But like with Tales of Innocence R, there are currenly no plans for that. But even in Japan there are many people who want a remake.

What is this question? WHY is this question? It's universally known in JRPGs that it's terrible, why is this a thing?!?

JPGames.de: Tales of Vesperia was the last game that used a cel-shading graphic style. Many players like this style because it closely resembles the style of anime and allowed for many charming comic-y expressions and portrayals. Is it possible that this style is used again in a Tales title?

Baba: In Tales of Vesperia this style was especially dominant which lead to everything looking somewhat cute. The idea behind the modern Tales games is to make the proportions of the characters and the world look more realistic while using a soft-focus effect on the surfaces to create the impression of a water color painting. That’s our current direction. It’s not that we have abandoned cel-shading completely – we’re still using it actually –, but it’s not so dominant anymore.

ToV nailed that look, and ToX-X2-Z hasn't nailed theirs.

It'd be wonderful if Reve Unitia came over with all the English voice actors, but they seemingly don't want to put forth that effort, shocking.

Well Bamco seems to have discovered that (shockingly) there is a market for subbed only games, so if they ever do bother with Reve Unitia, it would probably be subbed only.

Didn't PxZ actually end up being a pretty bad game outside of all the cameos and stuff?

Yeah. Gameplay was really repetitve and droning. It was just bad after a few hours in.

The presentation and amount of work into the cross-over part is what made the game though. It feels like it was a success because of that because there was almost something for everyone. I really didn't think it'd sell really well either so this is really surprising.

WHERE THE FUCK IS VALKYRIA CHRONICLES 3 FOR VITA SEGA GOD DAMN IT.
FUCK

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I've been playing Project X Zone and it's pretty fun...I agree about the length comments, though, I can only play a stage a day really. And the main point I'm playing it for is to see all the characters, once I get everyone I imagine it'll lose its luster.

The battle system is a bit funner than I thought at first since you do have to time to get the most damage, but really I only care about that because it moves the missions along faster.

The fanservice in this game (the bad kind) is fucking disgusting at points though, like I'm literally "WTF?" at some of the comments made towards every female character. It's cute when like someone like Vashyron does it, where it makes sense, but then you have like Ken hitting on characters and the OG Robot Wars Bandai-Namco dudes treat their female partners like sex toys. Actually all the original Bandai-Namco characters in the game are horrible and too-anime for me....well, Sanger's alright.

I'd love a sequel though, if they address those complaints.

Also maybe add some more Western-popular characters since it sold so well here, and maybe don't be afraid to throw in Sonic/Klonoa. And of course it'd rule if Nintendo or Konami got on board.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Thing is with the SRW/SRT games is all the licensing. Even if they wanted to, the amount of money they would have to make back would have to be extremely significant. Dunno how much they are willing to risk it. I would buy em though.

He said OG.
So there's no licensing involved, they already brought over the GBA games back then.

Pikma

Banned
The reason PxZ did that great probably was because Bandai Namco managed to move a lot of stock and actually place it on shelves. You could see the game at almost every retail store, something that doesn't happen that easily with niche handheld games.

Sadist

Not bad for a niche game like PxZ. I enjoyed it for what it was and glad I got the chance to actually play it.

I'm happy that PxZ did well, despite the fact that the game has some issues. I hope that means that they'll keep supporting more niche releases like it.

The Tales questions seem like a bunch of non-answers.

ArjanN

Totally. If Namco were happy about how Naruto sold on the platform, I'm sure DBZ would be even better.

I'd rather they'd put Tekken on PC to be honest, these DBZ / Naruto games always seemed to me like a lot of fanservice with some nice animation tied to a mediocre game.

Which is probably still worth it if you're a big fan, but it doesn't really help that both those series are so played out at this point.

I agree it would probably still sell pretty well though.

EDIT:

Now that I think about it they should have just given the guys making Hyper Dragon Ball Z a sack full of money and made it an official game.

JPGames.de: Tales of Vesperia was the last game that used a cel-shading graphic style. Many players like this style because it closely resembles the style of anime and allowed for many charming comic-y expressions and portrayals. Is it possible that this style is used again in a Tales title?

Baba: In Tales of Vesperia this style was especially dominant which lead to everything looking somewhat cute. The idea behind the modern Tales games is to make the proportions of the characters and the world look more realistic while using a soft-focus effect on the surfaces to create the impression of a water color painting. That’s our current direction. It’s not that we have abandoned cel-shading completely – we’re still using it actually –, but it’s not so dominant anymore.

This makes me so sad. I'm not a fan of the more muted colors and "realism" they seem to be pushing for in more recent Tales games. I think the series works a lot better with bright primary colors and more dominant cel-shading.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I enjoyed PxZ even if it did get extremely repetitive towards the half way point. All the character appearances and cameos made up for it.

I wouldn't play more than a chapter a day though. Its only in short bursts, preferably during commutes.

Really hope there's a sequel as it could fix a lot of flaws with PxZ as well as introducing additional characters.

t26

The reason PxZ did that great probably was because Bandai Namco managed to move a lot of stock and actually place it on shelves. You could see the game at almost every retail store, something that doesn't happen that easily with niche handheld games.

The problem is many retailer don't want to carry "anime" games in the first place.

Jubern

I'm happy about all of this, but people need to start thinking about what's worth bringing and what isn't before it bites them in the ass. You don't want to play Attack on Titan 3DS or Tales of the Tempest...

So, wait, niche 3DS SRPG sells 10 times what Namco thought it would in the West, but then they declare that they have no plans to release their upcoming 3DS Tales SRPG in the West.

Okay.

Comeon Banco give us a Super Robot Taisen game, if Project X Zone can sell, SRT can too, I get the licensing issues but that's what freaking Original Generation series has been for and those are some of the best anyway!

I'm really glad PxZ sold pretty good. I really enjoyed watching and getting to know all those characters I never heard before of. Hopefully they decide to bring that Tales good, since it's a crossover which has characters from all games I would buy it to get into the series.

So, wait, niche 3DS SRPG sells 10 times what Namco thought it would in the West, but then they declare that they have no plans to release their upcoming 3DS Tales SRPG in the West.

Okay.

To be fair, PxZ is a fanservice game that contains Tekken, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Mega Man and Bruce Willis. While that upcoming 3DS Tales SRPG only has Tales.

cj_iwakura

Didn't PxZ actually end up being a pretty bad game outside of all the cameos and stuff?

It isn't a bad game. It's an extremely repetitive game only playable in small portions on alternating days. I'd still rather have flawed games with enjoyable qualities get localized here than outright tripe.

t26

I wonder how well Unlimited World Red did. Hopefully good enough so we can get more One Piece games in the future.

Europe always got One Piece game in English (they even got Unlimited Cruise port). It is US not getting them even when they are already translated to English.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
To be fair, PxZ is a fanservice game that contains Tekken, Devil May Cry, Resident Evil, Mega Man and Bruce Willis. While that upcoming 3DS Tales SRPG only has Tales.

But they said Tales of Abyss 3DS is a success too, in Japan and Europe at least.

Oh wow a ShonenGameZ post on GAF. I go to this site every day because they're kind of an untapped source of news. Thought they were pretty indie tbh, nice to see that they're getting a little bit of attention

Usobuko

Banned
Hey, Namco. If PxZ sold much better than expected, maybe a certain 3DS RPG you haven't localized yet would also sell better than you think.

That AoT game looked awful from what I could see, not too worried about it.

Which game do you speak of?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Loved PXZ! Please do another!

...And since this one did 10x expectations, maybe for the sequel ya can spring some cash for the vocal versions of the songs?

L Thammy

There's also a throwaway comment about how they're happy to see fan excitement for Hyper Dragon Ball Z, which is an impressive looking MUGEN project.

YES!

other_onegayjm.png

I know people bought Project X Zone for the fanservice, but I wonder if that would be enough for the sequel to succeed. I don't think the gameplay's going to improve much; Honne's team has done a number of similar games already.

Top Bottom