• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bane and Lex Luthor Revealed for Injustice: Gods Among Us

KalBalboa

Banned
Any non-Batman villain would do at this point.

Lobo, Zod, Bizarro, Metallo, Doomsday, Parasite, Sinestro... take your pick.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Also I kinda prefer silver age chubby Luthor... provided that he's voiced by Kevin Michael Richardson

J-Tier

Parasite would be kind of boring moveset-wise.

But man, Bizarro would be amazing. A "clumsy" Superman with fire breathing, vacuum breath, and freeze vision. I mean, they're just reversals of Superman but the effects won't be just aesthetics.

KalBalboa

Banned
Parasite would be kind of boring moveset-wise.

But man, Bizarro would be amazing. A "clumsy" Superman with fire breathing, vacuum breath, and freeze vision. I mean, they're just reversals of Superman but the effects won't be just aesthetics.

Parasite could have mirror-moves, super strength/speed, health regen and sapping, etc. It doesn't take much imagination to see him being interesting.

J-Tier

Parasite could have mirror-moves, super strength/speed, health regen and sapping, etc. It doesn't take much imagination to see him being interesting.

Yeah, I know. But we both know what Netherealm can possibly do with a power drain character.

J-Tier

Zangief and Seth in Mortal Kombat. Got it.

Well, Bane's gimmick is to empower himself with venom in the game. Meaning he goes into a rage mode at the "push of a button". So he's more than just a standard grappler.

The Seth comparison though...I don't see it. Is it the glorious bald head? Haha.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm imagining Metallo starting each fight looking completely human then deformation setting in with each blow until he's a haggard cyborg. NR could get their gore jollies with him too.

Gimme Metallo.

weepy

I wouldn't mind seeing Livewire as a playable character. I mean her in-game model is practically done *cough*Frost*cough* and they could tweak Raiden's move set to fit her own.

Khezu

Zangief and Seth in Mortal Kombat. Got it.

Nah, game already had a Zangief.
Ggs9i.jpg

shaowebb

I don't know, man. Not like I can ask them. All I know is Marvel is a successful game despite not everyone being an A or B tier character. You have the main League members, you have Lex, Joker, and Catwoman. Can we branch out just a little bit from the Batman safe haven? Not like I'm asking for Tailgunner Jo and Electric Warrior.

UMVC 3 sold around half a million units in its first 2 months where as MVC3 sold around 2 million in that time. I don't know the overall sales figures, but as far as "success" goes its subjective when you look at the drop the game took there. Its popular and damned fine to be sure, but considering Mortal Kombat sold supposedly around 2 million units during its release month alone and its sales covered the entire cost of the NRS acquisition by WB I don't really think MVC3 was as successful as it seems when compared to how well the fighter that was aimed at broader audiences than just tourney dudes did. MVC is Super popular on streams and in tournies and won that by a landslide, but there will ALWAYS be more casual players than serious ones and no matter how you slice it tourney dudes are the vocal and educated minority in games and their numbers are smaller than those who would be drawn in by this roster. Theres more marvel players than MK, but theres likely more MK profits than MVC3 ones.

You want profits and success then do what NRS is doing here. Hit all the high spots in roster recognition possible. I know DC is more than just Batman and Superman to some of us. Hell my favorite guy is THE RAY from 1993 and how many of you will honestly know who the hell that guy is without looking him up first?

Its a business people. These aren't even bad characters here. We all like them we just all have our underdogs we want to see in. There are folks clamoring for Martian Manhunter, Black Adam, Aquaman, Booster Gold, Guy Gardner, Lobo and a crapload of others out there too, but a roster made up entirely of the casually known characters that dont get a lot of press wont draw in the numbers MK did. Just accept that business comes first. Its not like the cast sucks at all. Theres lots of big names with lots to explore already.

Khezu

Please tell me that Green Lantern and Batman will also be receiving Red Son skins

Doubt it, I think the Batman and GL will have costumes based on other events or stories.
I think Grundy just got thrown in with Red Son because they couldn't find anything else for him.

Dartastic

Well, Bane's gimmick is to empower himself with venom in the game. Meaning he goes into a rage mode at the "push of a button". So he's more than just a standard grappler.

The Seth comparison though...I don't see it. Is it the glorious bald head? Haha.
Ok, so Bane is a cross between Hakan and Gief. Or maybe he is just more like Hakan.

Also, a guy who has projectiles and can suck foes toward him? Give the dude another Seth like special move and we good boyesess. Take your pick. Wall jump, dragon punch, or teleport. It's gonna be one of those!

Also, Shao's above post is great.

I passed on the last Mortal Kombat, I'm not going to make that mistake with this game. Characters look great, gameplay looks fun, and I can't wait.

shaowebb

Ok, so Bane is a cross between Hakan and Gief. Or maybe he is just more like Hakan.

Also, a guy who has projectiles and can suck foes toward him? Give the dude another Seth like special move and we good boyesess. Take your pick. Wall jump, dragon punch, or teleport. It's gonna be one of those!

Also, Shao's above post is great.

Thank you. I try to be objective and this is one of the things that needed pointed out. This is how you build a roster that sells. Sales figures determine the success and validity of a title. This title is aiming at being NRS' first original new title and what some of us hope becomes a new series to enjoy. To get either requires a recognizable roster of A listers with the most fans. NRS is knocking it out of the park with these choices in that respect.

another character I would really love to have in this is Animal Man.

:(

Agreed. Guy would be a goldmine for self buff or stance change movesets. Sooooooo many opportunites with him. I know Im for the all star roster for profits, but Animal Man/Swamp Thing/The Ray/Martian Manhunter/Power Girl/ Booster Gold/Blue Beetle/and Lobo are all cast that I would love to see make it in for their moveset potential. Hell The Ray offers up a government character who has close ties to Superman and would be in tight with his group but who could create Red Sunlight at will to take the man out if necessary so he would be golden for story lines as well as for his potentially stellar energy based moveset filled with flight, illusions, beams, and lightspeed dashes.*runs out of breathe* :fanboy:

So many movesets to hope for here. I wont cry if I don't get my niche picks though. DC in general is a damned goldmine for unique moveset potential and I'm seeing a lot of nice variety in the cast at hand already. Im super glad Green Arrow made it in. Unless The Ray makes it by some kind of miracle (and it'd be one) he will be my main for sure.

Tizoc

at least 4 heroes left?
I think they'll be PG, Aquaman and Swamp Thing. Dunno who the 4th'd be, John Constantine maybe?
Frankenstein please =/

shaowebb

My guesses are Blue Beetle, Power Girl, Aquaman, and Animal Man.

Boon has posted a lot on his twitter and gets asked about stuff a lot. I think his Aquaman name drops along side of his comic book hints and such all sort of hinted at these strongly enough to make them pretty decent guesses. Of course Boon trolls constantly and hints at everything ever so you can't really try to read him too deeply. Only when he says an announcement is coming and says he will give a hint can you really start to tell what he is up to.
Swamp Thing would be awesome.
If it helps he's had a Swamp Thing comic on his desk on his twitter before too.

EDIT: Oh and I also forgot Martian Manhunter's symbol is already shown on the comic so one way or another Im expecting him even if he's just planned DLC or something later.

TDLink

My guess on the 4 heroes are Aquaman, Martian Manhunter, Captain Marvel, and Blue Beetle based on the hints we have gotten from the devs. Of course, one could end up as DLC with someone else taking the base game spot, so we'll see.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
UMVC 3 sold around half a million units in its first 2 months where as MVC3 sold around 2 million in that time. I don't know the overall sales figures, but as far as "success" goes its subjective when you look at the drop the game took there. Its popular and damned fine to be sure, but considering Mortal Kombat sold supposedly around 2 million units during its release month alone and its sales covered the entire cost of the NRS acquisition by WB I don't really think MVC3 was as successful as it seems when compared to how well the fighter that was aimed at broader audiences than just tourney dudes did. MVC is Super popular on streams and in tournies and won that by a landslide, but there will ALWAYS be more casual players than serious ones and no matter how you slice it tourney dudes are the vocal and educated minority in games and their numbers are smaller than those who would be drawn in by this roster. Theres more marvel players than MK, but theres likely more MK profits than MVC3 ones.

You want profits and success then do what NRS is doing here. Hit all the high spots in roster recognition possible. I know DC is more than just Batman and Superman to some of us. Hell my favorite guy is THE RAY from 1993 and how many of you will honestly know who the hell that guy is without looking him up first?

Its a business people. These aren't even bad characters here. We all like them we just all have our underdogs we want to see in. There are folks clamoring for Martian Manhunter, Black Adam, Aquaman, Booster Gold, Guy Gardner, Lobo and a crapload of others out there too, but a roster made up entirely of the casually known characters that dont get a lot of press wont draw in the numbers MK did. Just accept that business comes first. Its not like the cast sucks at all. Theres lots of big names with lots to explore already.

Why compare UMVC3 sales to MK9? Ultimate Marvel 3 came out in the same year as the vanilla version which angered a lot of people and still did an additional 600k on top of the 2 million that vanilla did. MK9 was a return to classic 2D style Mortal Kombat which drew a lot of old fans back who stopped paying attention to that franchise years ago.

You want profits and success then do what NRS is doing here. Hit all the high spots in roster recognition possible.
They've already hit the high spots. Nobody is buying this game because of Bane and Harley Quinn. Not saying they'll buy it for The Ray either but variety amongst a fighting game roster is never a bad thing.

shaowebb

Why compare UMVC3 sales to MK9? Ultimate Marvel 3 came out in the same year as the vanilla version which angered a lot of people and still did an additional 600k on top of the 2 million that vanilla did. MK9 was a return to classic 2D style Mortal Kombat which drew a lot of old fans back who stopped paying attention to that franchise years ago.
And MVC3 was the return of a fighter that for a decade people had begged to get a sequel for so your point doesn't really mean much considering we had seen a decade of TERRIBLE MK titles that should have ruined the rep of a new MK coming out. The fact still remains when a casual picks it up and says "Marvel? Cool!" And then doesn't recognise more than 6 characters from Marvel you got a problem reaching all of your potential market. Saying it sold an additional 600k after that isn't really good considering that means it LOST 3/4ths of the sales it had done less than a year ago. 600k isn't good.

Im just throwing the numbers and psychology of this up there. Believe me I know the whole anger on the 8 months and sequel stuff for Marvel. I was one of the top 10 posters in BOTH Marvel threads. Hell look at my avatar. I was there for the whole ride. Im just stating business facts here. MK ditched its niche guys like Bo Rai Cho and folks related to dragons that came about in later games and made a title based entirely off of the 3 games that sold and had a roster that sold well. It even focused HEAVILY on single player content with tower, the crypt, and story mode. It won for a reason...it had the casuals at every turn. Thats what this game has to do. Folks have to make a living and you start with the roster being Majorly recognizable to the largest amount of people possible.

chamber said:
They've already hit the high spots. Nobody is buying this game because of Bane and Harley Quinn. Not saying they'll buy it for The Ray either but variety amongst a fighting game roster is never a bad thing.

Game doesn't lose variety in its moveset for using well knowns either. Harley Quinn has an insane following and a lot WILL buy it for her and the same can be said for Bane. He was the biggest 90's villain and he was the big villain for the final Dark Knight film. He will sell and thats a guarantee.

The game doesn't show a lot of variety in its comic book series origins with over a third going to Batman, but its playstyle variety is solid. Heck Harley is one of the most unique given she has prone stances that anti air, gun normals, and a hyper move that can be combo-ed afterwards.

Just stop dancing around it and say it already...you just want more varied comic book character selections than Batman. I feel you, but thats not what will likely move the most copies. I can't tell you how many times I brought up Marvel having a sequel to a casual only to hear them ask about Venom and Gambit and then immediately stop caring when I said neither were in. When I mention this game Bane and Harley come up a lot (and surprisingly Grundy due to Arkham City reaching casuals so well).

The game is fine. Its got playstyle variety. It'll sell. Variety is never a bad thing, but its not exclusively available to niche guys like The Ray. A lot of Bat cast wont make it a lot of redundant playstyles. Hell just compare who is in it already for proof of that.

shaowebb

holy shit Red Son Superman just made the game 10x better

Also in the thing that first showed those Red Son alts it stated that you would get to play in their setting or something in some sort of mode. Im guessing there is a challenge tower like mode where you can play through mission challenges from various DC Earths and that alts will come from those or from various story arc's for the character.

My guesses for most likely challenge mode settings:
  • Flashpoint
  • Kingdoms
  • Justice
  • Final Crisis

On a sidenote Im hoping Bane is an armor character like Hulk who gets armored dashes and with a good Anti Air grab. Preferrably a backbreaker if its not being saved for his hyper. I can't wait for the next build to be out since in the last one Grundy had been given better mobility. Here's hoping he gets a little armor or some cancels to bait people into stuff. I dig his chain grapples that cause self buffs, but his last build was still far too inferior to zoning.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm not dancing around anything. I think the roster is terribly boring and uninteresting and I've been clear about that since my first post. The idea the game won't sell unless the roster is 50% Batman rings completely false to me but there's no way to prove it either way outside of anecdotal evidence.

Doesn't say much for the DC license if you're correct though.

Khezu

Well I hate Bane as a character, I suppose he will probably have a interesting moveset.
A more traditional grappler, well Grundy is....what ever the hell Grundy is.

NRS has never done a Grappler in any of there past games, closest was Sheeva in MK9, and she is a half hearted mess of a character.

The best Command grab in 9 ended up being Cyrax's because of how silly and annoying it was to people. <3 Cyrax.

The way they described Bane was more of a grappler but unlike Grundy who has chain grabs to deal damage, Bane powers up to deal more damage when he hits you. AKA super Hakan.

shaowebb

I'm not dancing around anything. I think the roster is terribly boring and uninteresting and I've been clear about that since my first post. The idea the game won't sell unless the roster is 50% Batman rings completely false to me but there's no way to prove it either way outside of anecdotal evidence.

Doesn't say much for the DC license if you're correct though.

And just what has more name recognition from DC than Batman characters? Count how many films, animated shows, direct to dvd movies, and references are made to him compared to the rest of DC. He's even a meme.

Batman and inherently his supporting cast have more name power sales pull than most of DC. Its not really even debatable that this is true. Doesn't diminish how good a lot of DC is, but its still true people know Batman more in casual circles than anything else. He is obviously the big sales series for DC and using that is the most obvious way to grab people. If its not for you then thats understandable, but saying what their doing wont work doesn't really make any sense. Not saying it wouldn't sell with a different roster, but I am saying it would likely sell less if it was a roster of more unknown cast than what they've been delivering.

Specifically what roster would you pick that would draw in more people?

Gotchaye

And just what has more name recognition from DC than Batman characters? Count how many films, animated shows, direct to dvd movies, and references are made to him compared to the rest of DC. He's even a meme.

Batman and inherently his supporting cast have more name power sales pull than most of DC. Its not really even debatable that this is true. He is obviously the big sales series for DC and using that is the most obvious way to grab people. If its not for you then thats understandable, but saying what their doing wont work doesn't really make any sense.

Specifically what roster would you pick that would draw in more people?

FWIW, as someone who never read comic books as a kid, and whose exposure to the characters was mostly via cartoons (the various X: The Animated Series ones), I'm only really aware of Batman and Superman stuff. Most other heroes are supporting characters for the Justice League, as far as I'm concerned.

I tend to think Marvel has a big advantage here because X-Men is about a bunch of characters rather than just Cyclops or Wolverine, and that and Spiderman are their two big franchises in terms of mindshare, I'd guess. Plus, they've done a lot better than DC at making decent movies about lesser-known characters - compare Thor and Iron Man (and obviously The Avengers) to Fantastic Four and Green Lantern.

I am fine with Supes and Batman having a larger share but we have reached how many Bats characters? We have two Supes but have five Bat characters with probably Joker on the way. That is a large six characters most likely.

Just for Bats alone. Six. IMHO that is too large. The way you introduce characters is in games and tv shows.

I honestly think Bane, Nightwing, Bat, and either Harley/Catwoman would of been enough.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Green Lantern has a cartoon out right now. Teen Titans/Young Justice currently have a cartoon airing. Justice League Unlimited was immensely popular and had a huge, rotating cast of characters. Why not pull characters from those sources instead of continuing to milk the Bat-teet for all it's worth?

DC/Warner talk all the time about building up characters besides Superman and Batman. Well? Why not start by giving a few of them a video game spotlight?

shaowebb

Yes. He was awesome. Maybe they can make him DLC/unlockable. Comic bane just looks like a stupid brute.

Comic book Bane was actually a brilliant guy. He figured out who Batman was, blew up Arkham to force Batman to exhaust himself in trying to deal with it and then attacked as an unknown he couldn't prepare for when he was at his weakest to break him.

Dude wasn't growling and snarling like Hulk like a lot somehow think he was. Bane was always a strategist and a very very dangerous guy.

TDLink

I am fine with Supes and Batman having a larger share but we have reached how many Bats characters? We have two Supes but have five Bat characters with probably Joker on the way. That is a large six characters most likely.

Just for Bats alone. Six. IMHO that is too large. The way you introduce characters is in games and tv shows.

I honestly think Bane, Nightwing, Bat, and either Harley/Catwoman would of been enough.

Joker was confirmed back in November so yeah there are 6 Batman characters right now.

Green_lanter_vs_joker_injustice_560.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yes. He was awesome. Maybe they can make him DLC/unlockable. Comic bane just looks like a stupid brute.

wat

Comics Bane is intelligent and managed to put Batman in his place.

Huh? Fat Luthor was from post-CoIE, he wasn't fat in the silver age.

Hmm I guess I need to reorder my Luthor timeline.

Still I liked that he was fat before.

Top Bottom