• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo Kazooie Spiritual successor revealed on this month's EDGE

James Scott

Banned
May 24, 2014
From the new EDGE magazine thread
Yes there is an interview with Playtonic, there's 6 full time staff now and they hope to grow to 15 staff. First game is a spiritual successor to Banjo Kazooie and they have funding but would like to work with a publisher if it is mutual. "There's a history of working with Nintendo so we'd naturally love to see our game on a Nintendo platform. If people tell us to make Wii U our target console platform then we've got the flexibility to do that."

And site http://www.playtonicgames.com/index.html
The game is coming to Steam early access and other consoles
Twitter account went live https://twitter.com/PlaytonicGames
Don't worry, it's a 3D platformer
Music to be composed by Grant kirkhope, David Wise, and Burke.
Runs on Unity and they plan on having a Kickstarter in May later this year
First screens
The presentation they had
Playtonic's EGX Rezzed developer session: 'Rebirth of The 3D Platformer' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ulJeGQ0Krk

kitschykitty

Nov 20, 2011
bummer the news didn't end up being an official sequel but whatever this is great news anyways, I'll keep an eye on it, Banjo-Kazooie is easily one of my favourite games of all time.

Coffee Dog

Banned
Aug 23, 2012
I'm worried these guys might be overestimating how many people care about open world exploration platformers like banjo. There's a reason the genre is dormant.

I want the best. I'm hoping for the best. Just worried.

Tripon

May 24, 2013
I'm worried these guys might be overestimating how many people care about open world exploration platformers like banjo. There's a reason the genre is dormant.

Well, there is a console where games like that are still played.....

Raide

Oct 29, 2007
So apart from some random ex-RARE people, has this studio done anything yet or is it super new hoping to ride on the old RARE hype?

Coffee Dog

Banned
Aug 23, 2012
So... does that mean no more B-K if someone is moving on with a spiritual successor?
no, it just means that the eventual sequel is going to be Banjo in name only. That's where we were at already anyway, this news is actually a sliver of hope.

Coffee Dog

Banned
Aug 23, 2012
Well, there is a console where games like that are still played.....
Nintendo hasn't released an open world/objective based platformer in over a decade. :p

Mario and Donkey Kong have both embraced linearity, and imo it was for the benefit of both series.

Lunar15

Jun 15, 2011

Basically this. I'm not sure the genre holds up that well.

EatinOlives

Oct 23, 2011

Why would they be "overestimating"? It's not like they said they expect to sell 6 million. I'm sure they're very aware it'll be a niche title.

Koobion

Mar 16, 2014
They already have funding, which is great, but I would crowdfund the fuck out of this if I could. Seems like it may be even too early for that though?

James Scott

Banned
May 24, 2014
This game was teased for awhile. Some ex RARE guys started thinking about making a game like this while teasing it on this twitter account https://twitter.com/MingyJongo
It went on for awhile and was seemingly dead. The account came back out of no where and started saying seemingly random things like ctrl+alt+delete (rebooting the project) and then Grant Kirkhope teased a reveal on this month's edge that would appeal to BK fans.
From what I remember, the twitter account expressed interest in using the Unity engine, but that might of changed since they stated that.

Finaj

Jul 10, 2013
So... does that mean no more B-K if someone is moving on with a spiritual successor?
Gregg Mayles, creator of Banjo, still works at Rare and they could very well still work on a Banjo 3. In fact, it has been rumored to appear at E3 this year.