• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banjo-Tooie's gay bar. Or ITT how we discuss video games hidden innuendo's

So I finally am cracking into the Banjo-Kazooie series after downloading them on XBLA awhile back from that "free point" mega thread we had awhile back and have been enjoying them quite a bit. I 100% Banjo-Kazooie and am working on doing the same for Banjo-Tooie. I currently just completed what I can of Jolly Roger's Lagoon, and I can't help but notice that Rare clearly put a gay bar within the game and it is being run by non other than Jolly Roger himself. Now I played Banjo-Tooie back when I was younger but this obviously all went over my head, and now replaying as an adult I'm realizing there's simply no way all of this can be a coincidence.

To start: Meet Jolly Roger.

HMCDal.jpg

He runs his own bar called "Jolly's" in a small beach town that attracts to men of the sea, specifically sailors and pirates. When you first approach him within the game he'll tell you his partner went out on a jet ski, hasn't come back and is worried. So you set out to go rescue this fellow to get a nice jiggy in return.

What he doesn't tell you is that his partner is what can only be assumed to be a cross dressing reptile named "Merry" Maggie Malpass. And that she looks like this.

180px-Merry_Maggie_Malpass.png

After you rescue her from being trapped within a giant fish, she returns back to Jolly Roger to help tend the bar. If you talk to her back at the bar she'll thank you for rescuing her and inform you of some activities and specials being held at good old Jolly's.

WETIzl.jpg

xcDHel.jpg

Now if you talk to Jolly he'll be ecstatic about bringing his partner back and even jump on the bar (with his pink and spotted pants) and blow kisses at apparently no one.

DWYfsl.jpg

If that's not stereotypical enough, he also runs a one bedroom hotel, that he describes as a cheap, dirty room filled with rodents. So one is to assume it's not for sleeping?

2n62il.jpg

Furthermore the bars signature drink is Ginger Beer. A term uncommonly used as a replacement for the word queer. See: Urban Dictionary

So with all that said, I will leave you with this last image, and maybe someone can explain to me just how exactly did Rare slide this past ratings boards and without controversy?

oe4mBl.jpg

scitek

In Conker, you have to face-off against what looks like a giant singing pile of shit, and it's actually a giant singing pile of shit.

big_z

Stuff like this isn't that uncommon. Wasn't there goatse and tubgirl in an unreal game?

Rare used to be good at hiding jokes and stuff back when they made games.

Tomasooie

This shot is awesome. There's a way to remove the reticle, but I forgot what it was on the XBLA version. Try the right stick.

Play Grabbed by the Ghoulies! It's the same price as the Banjos on the marketplace (it's an Xbox Original and it runs perfectly on 360). Exact same humor, same team from Rare, and a similar feel to it all. The gameplay's sort of like a lighthearted Dead Rising, but linear.

I think Rare said they didn't include a first person view in the game because then all of the lewd things hidden in the scenery wouldn't have made it past the ratings board.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
A friend of mine who shall remain anonymous entertains the thought that Gears of War is nothing more than a homosexual fantasy escapade. Take it as you will.

Replicant

A friend of mine who shall remain anonymous entertains the thought that Gears of War is nothing more than a homosexual fantasy escapade. Take it as you will.
That has to be one of the worst gay fantasies I've heard of. Gears guys are butterfaces. Not even their roid-filled muscles can compensate for it.

RE5's Chris Redfield, OTOH, now that's something I can fap to.

Berordn

That has to be one of the worst gay fantasies I've heard of. Gears guys are butterfaces. Not even their roid-filled muscles can compensate for it.

Well, if you were imagining yourself in another body, you wouldn't change your own face, right? Makes sense to me.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls

Or maybe it really depends on where your fantasies lie. I've seen some men enjoy feminine men, yet I've also seen others enjoy masculine men. Working in a bar for years in a trendy "gay" suburb has its perks when it concerns social interactions I guess.

Replicant

Well, if you were imagining yourself in another body, you wouldn't change your own face, right? Makes sense to me.
Doesn't work that way. At least not for me. Why would you fap to guys you're not attracted to? Even if you like fantasizing yourself as roid-filled monstrosity, everyone else in that game are fugly.

Hylian7

A lesser known one in Banjo Tooie. Throughout the game, the term "Minge" is used a lot. Mingella, Mingy Jongo, etc.

Minge is a slang term for female pubic hair in Europe.

DonMigs85

Also, the Styracosaur's name was Scrotty, there was the Rocknut tribe, Mr. Patch had "genitals", and you had to wash the soiled underwear of the rabbit workers.

Top Bottom