• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Banksy Opens Disneyland-Inspired Amusement Park, Welcome to Dismalland

Status
Not open for further replies.
...I mean a Bemusement Park.

7TDEXi7.jpg

KLyJG84.jpg

There have been strange goings on in Weston-super-Mare this week. A giant stallion made of scaffolding poles reared its head, a grim, gray fantasy castle popped up and a twisted truck sculpture rolled in to town.

Banksy has been secretly assembling his own Disneyland-inspired creation in this West Country seaside town, and it's not exactly the happiest place on Earth.

Dismaland, which opens to the public Saturday and sits on the 2.5 acre site of the Tropicana lido, is the shadowy artist's first "bemusement park," and it's packed full of subversive artworks.

This is Banksy's first major show in the UK since his Banksy vs Bristol Museum exhibition in 2009, which saw dozens of works of art put on display and hundreds of thousands of visitors in attendance.

The artist described the work as "a festival of art, amusements, and entry level anarchism," in a press statement handed out to journalists.

"This is an art show for the 99% who'd rather be at Alton Towers."

The place is full of traditional funfair attractions, which have been given a satirical twist. A portrait artist will render the exact likeness - of the back of your head. The "crazy gulf" attraction is an "oil caliphate-themed crazy golf course."

Mashable Article with Video
Dismalland Website

F99SGkY.jpg

I have the benefit of living near this, so i'll be visiting - it's also hosting gigs from Massive Attack, Pussy Riot and Run the Jewels (and more).

PSqueak

Banned
Am i wrong for thinking Banksy is too pretentious? Sometimes his stuff feels like he's so full of himself.

That simpsons couch gag he did felt so...hollow, like he sold out too.

adj_noun

Ok, so for drug folks we can have Hash Mountain.

Sneaking off for sex? Come down to the Enchanted Freaky Room.

Peter Pan's Fight for unlicensed MMA.

Gift shop...it's a mall world?

Oh! And to use Lastpass (which lets you skip to the end of the line) you have to get a Magic Brand.

What's up with urban artists always trying to make "cynical" Disney shit like twisted Mickey Mouses?
It gets fucking old. We get it - anti-consumerism, blah, blah, blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom