• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

Barbie Live-Action Movie Hires Ryan Gosling To Play Ken

KyoZz

Jan 21, 2018
Bordeaux, France

Warner Bros.' live-action Barbie movie, which will star Margot Robbie as the iconic Mattel doll, has found its Ken in the form of Ryan Gosling.​

Ryan Gosling (Blade Runner 2049, The Place Beyond the Pines) has now signed on to co-star in Warner Bros. live-action movie.
Greta Gerwig officially signed on to direct the project earlier this year, with The Suicide Squad star Margot Robbie set to breath life into the iconic fashion doll of the title.
Gerwig also co-wrote the script with Noah Baumbach (The Meyerowitz Stories).

Gosling is said to have passed on the role initially, but the studio "remained persistent with him being their only choice," and he ultimately entered negotiations when an opening is his schedule came about.
At one point, Amy Schumer was on board to play Barbie in what was said to "a contemporary spin with an emphasis on feminism and identity," but the I Feel Pretty actress was forced to drop out due to a scheduling conflict.
TDKR's Anne Hathaway was reportedly set to replace her before Robbie ended up nabbing the role.

Whether the premise of the movie will stay the same remains to be seen, but since Robbie more closely resembles the classic interpretation of Barbie, there's a good chance the original pitch has been reworked.
Robbie will also produce under her LuckyChap Entertainment banner. Shooting is scheduled to begin early next year.

jason10mm

Feb 3, 2009
Please be nc-17! please be nc-17!

I just hope it is a happy fun empowering film without dogging men. Something I can take my daughter to that won't have her wearing flannel and dyeing her hair purple by the end.

This casting gives me hope.

• Strength
Reactions: Ownage

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Jul 13, 2020
Amy Schumer as Barbie? ROFL. I think the scheduling conflict was an exec googling the box office numbers for every film that tried to take a "fresh feminist and body positivity," take and consulting his Hollywood Elite Illuminati psychic who told him "Hot girls make money, not hot girls don't,"

• Praise the Sun
Reactions: Ownage
Jul 2, 2020
With how fucking retarded Barbie dolls are these days I'm not even surprised Amy Schumer was an option. Also surprised Mattel hasn't introduced death bed Barbie yet.

May 8, 2019
Margot Robbie was hot before she was in a few too many movies playing a mentally unstable tweaker.

She looked amazing in Wolf of Wall Street, but this movie is gonna have to be rated a hard R or have some good outfits to get me to watch lol