• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BarFights | Fighting game event (SSFIV AE, UMvC3) | December 11

mr. puppy

Banned
lets throw down more theorcraft: Which combofiend team is better, his vanilla (shehulk/task/spencer) during the vanilla stages or ultimate (nova/spencer/hawkeye)?

lets throw down more theorcraft: Which combofiend team is better, his vanilla (shehulk/task/spencer) during the vanilla stages or ultimate (nova/spencer/hawkeye)?
Nova and Hawkeye are better than vanilla Taskmaster and She Hulk(on par with her at worst).

His ultimate team has some long legs.

Dahbomb

Marn says he has a new team for tonight.
Meaning hopefully he dropped his fraudulent Vergil play.

Ultimate team is better. He can still TOD with this team like he could before only his on point Nova is more mobile than She Hulk and more capable of dealing with zoning teams. Spencer on 2nd means he has Hawkeye assist backing him up, increasing his chances to get in and apply pressure. Hawkeye is the best zoning character in the game. Combofiend is a monster at whiff punishing and making reads that's why moves like slides and invincible/fast start up hypers are great assets to him. On his team he has 3 Bionic Arm like moves (Gimlet, Arm, Rocket Tackle) and 2 slide moves. Combofiend is godly at getting air throws and abusing j.H... all of his characters have combos off of air throws and godly j.H's. Combofiend never gives up and turns up the heat when he's down so he loves characters who can OCV teams... all 3 of his characters can OCV teams.

Since the day he picked Nova on his team... his Ultimate team was complete.

Anth0ny

So hyped for this. Hopefully there are more of these WWF PPVs for fighting games in the future.

My picks:

Mike Ross vs. Jago
Combofiend vs. MaRN
Filipino Champ vs. Justin Wong
Viscant vs. fLoE
Fanatiq vs. Clockw0rk
Noel Brown vs. Dios X

Every match could go either way, these are some hella good matchups!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
So hyped for this. Hopefully there are more of these WWF PPVs for fighting games in the future.

Depends on the quality of the matches. If they all turn out to be blow outs, this will suck.

I would have liked to see them do a round robin type of format so this means something. Two blocks of six, each person in the block quares off in 2 out of 3 matches. Winner gets two points, loser gets nothing. The winner of each block squares off in a grand final 3 out of 5 or 4 out of 7 for prize money.

This way, it means something and is worth something. This is just a glorified exhibition match. =/

BY2K

Membero Americo
Even Marn himself predicts he will loose against Combo.

MarnORZ MaRN マーン
Bar Fights today... My prediction? I'm going to lose to Combofiend 5-1 . GG . :(.

How I expect it to go:

Mike Ross vs. Jago
Combofiend vs. MaRN
Viscant vs. fLoE
Fanatiq vs. Clockw0rk
Noel Brown vs. Dios X

Already made my predictions a week or so ago:

Mike Ross vs. Jago
Combofiend vs. MaRN
Viscant vs. fLoE
Fanatiq vs. Clockw0rk
Noel Brown vs. Dios X
SHGLBMX vs. Steinmania

Nabs

Mike Ross vs. Jago
Combofiend vs. MaRN
Viscant vs. fLoE
Fanatiq vs. Clockw0rk
Noel Brown vs. Dios X

Dahbomb

If they all turn out to be blow outs, this will suck.
With that amount of ego on the line, more blow ups mean more salt which means more hype. No one wants to walk out of this event getting blown up because they will have to live with it for a very long time.

The last time I saw Combofiend play he was still using Nemesis. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does with Nova.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Is there anyone who wants to see the Shglbmx vs. Steinmania match? All the other matches have some sort of grudge between players but this one have pretty much two unknowns.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
With that amount of ego on the line, more blow ups mean more salt which means more hype. No one wants to walk out of this event getting blown up because they will have to live with it for a very long time.

Eh. I guess.

Dahbomb

DiosX vs NoelBrown is going to be a preliminary dip stick test for rushdown vs zoning in UMVC3.

DiosX team is a monster zoning team, it's completely built around long ranged high duration chip and lock down with Missiles, Drones, beams and Hail. Noel has NO assist to help him get in... he has a lockdown assist but not a full screen get in assist that he needs. Noel has felt the effects of this team composition especially against Dieminion and ChrisG in the EC where he gets shut down quite easily and they weren't even using top lock down assist (ChrisG in particular had no zoning assist when Hawkeye is up).

Wolverine and Frank West trying to get in on Dr Doom covered with Drones and spamming Hidden Missiles/Beam/Photon Shots SHOULD be a hard match up for Noel's team. But DiosX is extremely assist reliant and no zoning is perfect, there are always gap where you can get happy birthday. Also viability of legit runaway vs Dark Wesker.

Noel Brown is solid, people hate on him for no reason. If he gets Frank West LVL4 going DiosX is literally messed up because Frank can happy birthday from literally 3/4th screen away while doing massive chip. Noel also gets credit for being a player who quickly deciphers "the heart" of the team and tries to kill it immediately via snap back. That's why he has been successful in UMVC3. I don't think he is going to snap in Sentinel and he can't afford to burn X factor early because all those characters dish out heavy chip in XF especially Storm. DiosX's Doom is beast though.

Is there anyone who wants to see the Shglbmx vs. Steinmania match? All the other matches have some sort of grudge between players but this one have pretty much two unknowns.

I know shgl, so I'm rooting for him. Though I've only actually played him or seen him play in Marvel and tonight's match is in AE. He's got a good Zero.

Dahbomb

Obligatory:

THISGONBGUD.gif

kunonabi

Mike Ross vs. Jago
Combofiend vs. MaRN
Viscant vs. fLoE
Fanatiq vs. Clockw0rk
Noel Brown vs. Dios X

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
It starts around 5 PM PST.

It's 3:40 PM right now.

I won't be at this event. Never been happier to be a stream monster.

BTW it sucks when you can't even make it to events in your own backyard lol.

Back to World Warrior-ing.

Dahbomb

It was the disgonnabgud.gif. To lazy to find another one.

I will do another match analysis instead:

FChamp vs Justin Wong

This match has me excited and you guys should be excited too. Last time these guys squared off was at Canada Cup which was a Grand Finals match and it was one of the best sets in Marvel history (came complete with a "OMG JUSTIN WWWOOOONNG 3.0" moment).

FChamp unleashed the power of Dormammu and while he was playing Phoenix that time, the major factor contributing this wins was the dreaded one. Impeccable play by both players. FChamp has been soul searching in UMVC3 but has maintained a defensive/zoning style play that he is known for. Justin Wong has also experimented a bit but is expected to be sticking with his more recent Storm/Wesker/Akuma team.

Both have a large pool of characters to play with. FChamp's Dorm and Magneto are strong, his Sentinel is no slouch either and of course his Phoenix which in UMVC3 has been a wild card pick. People are eager to see if he will use his Phoenix team or not but we do know that Viscant will be using Phoenix so there's that. FChamp has also been experimenting with an anchor Strange and an on point Ghost Rider to mix results.

Justin is Justin... Mr Marvel himself. He also has a large character pool to play with which include Storm, Wesker, Akuma, Wolverine, Frank West and Felicia. Maybe he will try some of the newer characters like his personal favorite Iron Fist. I think he will stick with his mainstay Storm/Wesker/Akuma, Wesker in particular has been making a lot of waves lately.

If Phoenix isn't a factor, I expect Justin Wong to concentrate more on FChamp's true best character which is Dormammu and Justin will try to eliminate Dorm quickly. Likewise FChamp knows of the devastation that Wesker is capable of and will be looking to kill Wesker as soon as he touches him. It should be a grand battle of two extremely solid players and between the two they have some of the best defense in the community.

zlatko

Banned
Mike Ross vs. Jago
Combofiend vs. MaRN
Viscant vs. fLoE
Fanatiq vs. Clockw0rk
Noel Brown vs. Dios X

That's more of what I'm expecting. Viscant I think will body Floe, because Floe is a choker. I also think Clockwork has more to prove and Fanatiq I feel will have difficulty when Strider hits the scene.

The rest seems on point though.

Dahbomb

Clockwork's Strider has been really hit or miss lately. Like Yipes said, Strider is his worst character. He shows flashes of brilliance with the character but the low health and low damage has been taking its toll.

K.Sabot

Mike Ross vs. Jago
Combofiend vs. MaRN
Viscant vs. fLoE
Fanatiq vs. Clockw0rk
Noel Brown vs. Dios X

I have yet to see Viscant play ultimate. I feel his wesker was too reliant on the now defunct Haggar, so I can see fLoE having a good chance.

Dahbomb

It's practically a new character going from MVC2 to MVC3. And remember, it took Clockwork 4+ years to even get close to using and optimizing the lock down technology with the pair.

rCIZZLE

It should be a decent match. I'm glad they decided to do something like this to make it seem like you can go from "unknown" to being in a match listed with the big boys.

Top Bottom