Barr says he thinks spying occurred on 2016 Trump campaign

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
Looks like Trump was fully justified in saying that Obama spied on his campaign.

http://news.trust.org/item/20190410144125-laelo

WASHINGTON, April 10 (Reuters) - Attorney General William Barr said on Wednesday U.S. intelligence agencies engaged in spying directed at the 2016 presidential campaign of Donald Trump and that he would look at whether the surveillance was undertaken legally.

"I think spying did occur," Barr told a Senate hearing. "But the question is whether it was adequately predicated and I am not suggesting that it wasn't adequately predicated. ... I am not suggesting those rules were violated, but I think it is important to look at that. And I am not talking about the FBI necessarily, but intelligence agencies more broadly.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
It should be looked into. Corruption is on both sides, yet only one side is pushing investigations on the other currently. Do the same to the other side, and you should see just as many indictments, etc..

Anyone who thinks otherwise is a full of shit mental slave.

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Jun 13, 2014
USA
A part of me feels like you should just live and let live. Obama's sad 007 make-believe adventure failed, and they should just keep it moving and not fall to that level. Hillary succeeded in getting the media to latch on to her "insurance policy," as Christopher Steele called it, but it turned out she was only handing them a time bomb, and now they're paying for it with their ratings. Karma, cold dishes and all that.

But I can't deny this was an extraordinary assault upon democracy. The intelligence community should not get to wage a disinformation campaign against us to influence an election outcome. When that fails, they should not get to set up a fake special counsel, over which no one has any oversight. I think there is something constructive we can get out of this, if we can identify what faults in the system could lead to something so ridiculous, then build failsafes to ensure it does not happen again.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
CNN is still at it. Why is it whenever one of their 'bombshells' appears with anonymous, unnamed sources it never has the 'no evidence' tag following the headline? And of course, this means the DOJ is being politicized.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/10/politics/barr-doj-investiation-fbi-russia/index.html

Barr says spying on Trump campaign 'did occur,' but provides no evidence

(CNN)Attorney General William Barr told lawmakers Wednesday that he will be looking to the "genesis" of the the FBI's counterintelligence investigation into potential ties between members of Donald Trump's presidential campaign and the Russian government began in 2016, saying, "I think spying on a political campaign is a big deal" -- echoing some of the more inflammatory claims lobbed by President Donald Trump for months, but declining to elaborate on his concerns.

It will also likely raise concerns of politicization of the department's work at an already tense time, as Democrats worry that Barr is bending to the President's demands and have called on Barr to release an unredacted version of the special counsel's confidential report on the Russia investigation to Congress.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
CNN is still at it. Why is it whenever one of their 'bombshells' appears with anonymous, unnamed sources it never has the 'no evidence' tag following the headline? And of course, this means the DOJ is being politicized.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/10/politics/barr-doj-investiation-fbi-russia/index.html

(CNN)Attorney General William Barr told lawmakers Wednesday that he will be looking to the "genesis" of the the FBI's counterintelligence investigation into potential ties between members of Donald Trump's presidential campaign and the Russian government began in 2016, saying, "I think spying on a political campaign is a big deal" -- echoing some of the more inflammatory claims lobbed by President Donald Trump for months, but declining to elaborate on his concerns.

It will also likely raise concerns of politicization of the department's work at an already tense time, as Democrats worry that Barr is bending to the President's demands and have called on Barr to release an unredacted version of the special counsel's confidential report on the Russia investigation to Congress.
Schiff said collusion did occur, but provided no evidence either. Was he treated with the same skepticism?

But nah, news stations aren't biased. Just reporting on the facts! :pie_invert:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Spying and collusion. What else can you call it when Hillary pays a British spy to work with Russian spies to create a hoax document to influence the election?

So a meeting in Trump towers is the crime of the century and needs a 2 year investigation, but paying off a biased Trump hater to work with Russians feeding him lies that fit his narrative doesn't even deserve a look into?

They sold the dossier as credible and verified when it was neither ( I mean come on Pee tapes? like really) and hid the fact that Steele had an axe to grind and who paid for the report.

Teletraan1

May 17, 2012
Canada
Had Hillary won like everyone involved expected this would have been swept under the rug and never found out about. The big foil in the plan was that Trump won so now they have no way of sweeping it under the rug. I think they should expose this shit for what it was, put in some protections to prevent it from happening again.

I think the people at CNN are functionally retarded, completely dishonest or a stunning combo of both. He was answering a question at a hearing, there is an ongoing investigation with the inspector general. Why would he provide evidence on the spot for an ongoing investigation. He isn't Adam Schiff.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013

Because they are fucking partisan fake news hacks. Propagandists for their select globalist interests.

Never gets old... and they never changed.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com
Because of his public views on executive privilege and the report before being chosen.

My problems with bar is that he's a swamp creature, but that's besides the discussion at hand.
Holding certain opinions isn't a deciding factor as to whether a person credible, in spite of what some ideologues tell you.

Barr's track record is well documented, but even setting aside his credibility, he isn't the only one who has worked on the summary of this report. So, it seems hollow to dismiss what he is saying based on vapid concerns over "credibility".

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
A part of me feels like you should just live and let live. Obama's sad 007 make-believe adventure failed, and they should just keep it moving and not fall to that level. Hillary succeeded in getting the media to latch on to her "insurance policy," as Christopher Steele called it, but it turned out she was only handing them a time bomb, and now they're paying for it with their ratings. Karma, cold dishes and all that.

But I can't deny this was an extraordinary assault upon democracy. The intelligence community should not get to wage a disinformation campaign against us to influence an election outcome. When that fails, they should not get to set up a fake special counsel, over which no one has any oversight. I think there is something constructive we can get out of this, if we can identify what faults in the system could lead to something so ridiculous, then build failsafes to ensure it does not happen again.

It depends how deep and far it went. If it was an unfortunate series of events that got out of control, okay, that requires discussion and solutions. But if we just witnessed the side effects of a failed coup, of which there is some evidence of, then we can not just live and let live.

We just went through an excruciating two years, and Barr has said they've known there was no collusion for a year and a half. Clearly, that means this nonsense affected midterm voting a well.

But now as soon as we're over that, we look the other way? Nah. I want to know what really happened, and who did and said what. This is our intelligence agencies we are talking about. If they are in bed with the DNC and tried to overthrow a sitting president [after failing to stop his election] that's treason. If it was treason, and we just let it go, we should just throw in the towel now, and I'm not ready to do that.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
It depends how deep and far it went. If it was an unfortunate series of events that got out of control, okay, that requires discussion and solutions. But if we just witnessed the side effects of a failed coup, of which there is some evidence of, then we can not just live and let live.

We just went through an excruciating two years, and Barr has said they've known there was no collusion for a year and a half. Clearly, that means this nonsense affected midterm voting a well.

But now as soon as we're over that, we look the other way? Nah. I want to know what really happened, and who did and said what. This is our intelligence agencies we are talking about. If they are in bed with the DNC and tried to overthrow a sitting president [after failing to stop his election] that's treason. If it was treason, and we just let it go, we should just throw in the towel now, and I'm not ready to do that.
I don't think people understand how serious this is, if so. This undermines our entire societal and social structures, and you might as well have total anarchy, fuck all laws, since the players in the government were allowed to operate as such.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Apr 18, 2018
USA
dunpachi.com

Truthfully, nothing has changed, we're just investigating another source of election interference now that Trump has been cleared. Democrats insisted for years that there should be nothing to hide, that we should continue investigating, that we cannot allow election interference to go unpunished, yet they have turned a blind eye to the Roy Moore election interference, the Tim Canova election interference, and now the Steele / FBI / FISA interference.

Clapper confirmed that Obama wanted the investigation done. This should be alarming since it contradicts our system of a peaceful transition of power between parties.

People just want a fair application of the law. If Democrats can investigate a president as a potential traitor, it only makes sense that we should investigate those who were involved in this farce.

Jun 26, 2018
Milwaukee, WI
I don't think people understand how serious this is, if so. This undermines our entire societal and social structures, and you might as well have total anarchy, fuck all laws, since the players in the government were allowed to operate as such.
I remember reading about Stefan Halper over a year ago. And now it's coming out he may have contacted members of the Trump campaign without FBI approval. This is deep.

#Phonepunk#

Sep 4, 2018
If there are corrupt people in the intelligence community they need to be rooted out. You serve your country and your president. Back door scheming and conspiring to get back at political rivals is a gross misuse of power.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
If there are corrupt people in the intelligence community they need to be rooted out. You serve your country and your president. Back door scheming and conspiring to get back at political rivals is a gross misuse of power.
It is treason, and far greater implications of collusion than the "Russia boogeyman".

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
I don't think people understand how serious this is, if so. This undermines our entire societal and social structures, and you might as well have total anarchy, fuck all laws, since the players in the government were allowed to operate as such and you turn the cheek to that.
People absolutely don't understand.

Most people have no idea what the Steele dossier was. Why are we talking about Russian collusion when Christopher Steele was literally MI6? Why can no one in media even stutter the words 'British Collusion'when we literally know that as fact at this point. Can you imagine if Trump based a 2 year investigations into his political enemies based on a document everyone knew was written by ex-KGB? People would lose it.... but Steele points back at HRC and Obama, so it's not even whispered.

Also consider this was supposed to stop Trump from ever being elected. The FISA stuff, the Steele stuff, was supposed to ensure a HRC victory and we never would have had this Mueller investigation. So it's quite likely a failed attempt to subvert the will of the people turned into a failed coup.

People on the left have been throwing around the word treason for years. If it came out that Trump had been colluding with Russians and put their needs before those he was sworn to protect, he wouldn't necessarily have been jailed for the rest of his life. He would quite possibly have been hung. That's how serious the accusations were, that we may have seen a sitting president hung... based on lies funded by HRC, enabled by Obama and high ranking members of our alphabet agencies, and written by an ex member of MI6. It's no wonder they don't want what actually happened looked into.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
As much as we would like it we all know there will never be an investigation. This is HRC and Obama we are talking about. If not the FBI then the media will make sure that this never goes anywhere.

I truely hope this is not bluster. What happened with FISA/Steele needs to be investigated. I think there is a lot more proof of wrongdoing there then there ever was of Russian collusion.

I bet some interenet detectives and independant media could wrap this case up for 1/100th of the cost and a fraction of the time that Mueller spent on his special counsel.

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018
Steele was recently called for a deposition in London in a defamation action filed by three Russian bankers for allegedly false claims in the dossier. Steele’s statements included some surprising admissions, particularly regarding the purpose of his contract with the U.S. law firm of Perkins Coie.

Throughout the campaign, and for many weeks after, the Clinton campaign denied any involvement in the creation of the dossier that was later used to secure a secret surveillance warrant against Trump associates during the Obama administration. Journalists later discovered that the Clinton campaign hid the payments to Fusion as a “legal fees” among the $5.6 million paid to the law firm. New York Times reporter Ken Vogel at the time said that Clinton lawyer Marc Elias had “vigorously” denied involvement in the anti-Trump dossier. When Vogel tried to report the story, he said, Elias “pushed back vigorously, saying ‘You (or your sources) are wrong.’” Times reporter Maggie Haberman likewise wrote: “Folks involved in funding this lied about it, and with sanctimony, for a year.” Even when Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta was questioned by Congress on the matter, he denied any contractual agreement with Fusion GPS. Sitting beside him was Elias, who helped devise contract.

Later, confronted with the evidence, Clinton and her campaign finally admitted that the dossier was a campaign-funded document that was pushed by Steele and others to the media.

In one of his answers to an interrogatory, Steele explained: “Fusion’s immediate client was law firm Perkins Coie. It engaged Fusion to obtain information necessary for Perkins Coie LLP to provide legal advice on the potential impact of Russian involvement on the legal validity of the outcome of the 2016 U.S. Presidential election. Based on that advice, parties such as the Democratic National Committee and HFACC Inc. (also known as ‘Hillary for America’) could consider steps they would be legally entitled to take to challenge the validity of the outcome of that election.”

Steele’s testimony suggests that the dossier was not just a political hit job but a type of insurance for a catastrophic political event.

The dossier ultimately found its way from a Fusion GPS employee, Nellie Ohr, to her husband, Justice Department official Bruce Ohr. From there, it became the basis of Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (FISA) warrants targeting figures like Trump campaign adviser Carter Page, signed off by the Obama administration with the involvement of later-fired FBI director James Comey and his deputy, Andrew McCabe. (Ohr was later demoted over his involvement.) Page was never charged with a crime while key players like Fusion GPS co-founder Glenn Simpson invoked the Fifth Amendment privilege against self-incrimination to refuse to answer further questions from Congress.

The FBI knew the dossier was part of a Clinton campaign operation but told the secret FISA court that it was only speculating about a possible political motive for the material. Notably, however, the FBI’s warrant application indicates that Steele denied knowing the purpose behind the dossier. In the 412-page application, the FBI buries the issue in a footnote, stating that Steele was hired by Fusion GPS to conduct research on Trump and that “The identified U.S. person never advised [Steele] as to the motivation behind the research into [Trump] ties to Russia. The FBI speculates that the identified U.S. Person was likely looking for information that could be used to discredit Candidate #1's campaign.”

We now know that Steele and Fusion GPS aggressively shopped the dossier with any reporter who would listen, while also pitching it to Ohr and the FBI. Notably, the dossier story was broken by investigative journalist Michael Isikoff who recently admitted, “When you actually get into the details of the Steele dossier, the specific allegations, we have not seen the evidence to support them, and, in fact, there’s good grounds to think that some of the more sensational allegations will never be proven and are likely false.”
This goes way down the rabbit hole.

TrainedRage

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2018
USA
So funny watching the Democratic leadership lose all their shit over this. Best part... No collusion, but they find evidence of Democratic scandals.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jun 26, 2007
Best Coast
I wouldn't be surprised if true, but just as "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" applies to zomgRussianCollusion, it applies to this too.

Joe T.

Oct 3, 2004
Montreal, Quebec

Is there another helping of crow being prepared? There were countless stories written and hours of political punditry spent mocking Trump for this "conspiracy theory."

This is a very serious issue that deserves a great deal of attention and should be handled with care. Imagine bogging down every future president with years of investigations into treasonous activity, making it extremely difficult for the country to move past the election, handicapping their ability to govern and affecting the midterm results. It's an attack on democracy itself, so I think Trump is right when he says steps should be taken to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Last edited:

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006

Is there another helping of crow being prepared? There were countless stories written and hours of political punditry spent mocking Trump for this "conspiracy theory."

This is a very serious issue that deserves a great deal of attention and should be handled with care. Imagine bogging down every future president with years of investigations into treasonous activity, making it extremely difficult for the country to move past the election, handicapping their ability to govern and affecting the midterm results. It's an attack on democracy itself, so I think Trump is right when he says steps should be taken to ensure this doesn't happen again.
Oh, look, another Wikipedia page A-logging Trump and full of "sources" that are once again debunked.

Funny how it is edit protected now that it is proven false :thinking:

cryptoadam

... and he cannot lie
Feb 21, 2018

“best way to analyze “Spygate” is ... a conspiracy theory ... a ginned-up controversy Trump has capitalized on to justify his argument that the FBI is hopelessly biased against him.”
BWAHAHAHAH so what was Steele Dossier and Russiagate then? Seems like those were conspiracy theories, a ginned-up controversy the media capitalized on to justify their bias against Trump.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
The seriousness of this is not lost on me and I'm hoping not lost on a large portion of the population.

Just like the Mueller investigation, this needs a thorough look and the ramifications could be costly, and could potentially be lethal to some involved.

Let's see how it plays out, and what ends up being found.

autoduelist

Gold Member
Aug 30, 2014
I wouldn't be surprised if true, but just as "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" applies to zomgRussianCollusion, it applies to this too.
Absolutely. However, here, many of the puzzle pieces are already public knowledge. What needs to be sussed out isn't if the Steele dossier, Fisa stuff actually happened.... it did. We also know high ranking members of the FBI were discussing invoking the 25th amendment because they've admitted it on tv. So that leaves why. Did our alphabet agencies and the DNC seriously believe Trump was compromised and working for the Ruskies, or was it a hit job? That is, were they patriots or liars / traitors? Evidence is mounting they were lying left and right, which @cryptoadam posted about above.

This leaves us with little room. Either they believed obvious lies written up by ex-mi6 and funded by Trumps political opposition that journalists tore down quickly and easily, or they were intentionally subverting the will of the people. Either way, they were abusing the powers of the alphabet agencies to do so [the FISA part, for example, and the entire Mueller investigation]. Our intelligence agencies are caught between a rock and a hard place - either they're corrupt, or inept. Same goes for the DNC which funded it all. Certainly HRC doesnt have a good track history for how she deals with opposition [like Bernie in 2016].

So while I agree we need extraordinary evidence before anyone is jailed or hung, we are already sitting on a pile much more solid than anyone ever had in russiagate. We absolutely know some of what happened, like Steele and FISA. We need to see emails, memos, etc before we know what was going through their minds. And if they were politically motivated to take down a sitting president, which appears likely, we are in for one hell of a wild ride. This is shaping up to be the biggest political scandal in US history.

It would also explain why some refuse to give up on russiagate. As long as that is a thing, people won't ask why they were decieved for so long, and who deceived them. And that is the million dollar question.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Mar 5, 2009
I'm ok with this. We spent two years looking into the collusion issue. I don't mind the DOJ spending a little more time looking into what led up to all this. If there is nothing to find then everything will turn up clean. If there are some issues they can change any needed rules/laws so it does not happen again. If there are any huge issues they can hold people accountable. It's better to get these things out in the open and cleared up.

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
Exactly what I thought would happen, happened after Barr talked about spying on Trump;

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, D-Md.

"He is acting as an employee of the president," Hoyer said. "I believe the Attorney General believes he needs to protect the president of the United States."

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif

"I don't trust Barr, I trust Mueller."

Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y.

"peddling conspiracy theories."

House Intelligence Committee Chairman Adam Schiff, D-Calif

"should not casually suggest that those under his purview engaged in ‘spying’ on a political campaign." “This type of partisan talking point may please Donald Trump, who rails against a ‘deep state coup,'" "but it also strikes another destructive blow to our democratic institutions. The hardworking men and women at the DOJ and FBI deserve better.”

The depths of hypocrisy these people will go, come on already.

matt404au

Gold Member
Apr 25, 2009
Australia
You mean to tell me that the guy that Edward Snowden revealed spied on his citizens and colluded with Big Tech to secretly collect personal information also spied on his political opponents? Nah, not buying it.

infinitys_7th

Oct 1, 2006
It would also explain why some refuse to give up on russiagate. As long as that is a thing, people won't ask why they were decieved for so long, and who deceived them. And that is the million dollar question.
In particular who were the leakers on Mueller's team who were passing nonsense off to Schiff and company. The fact that the investigation they were in turned up nothing while they were pretending to be super sleuths fighting the world's first simultaneously stupid and genius evil mastermind shows exactly what their intent was.
How in the world has there not been screeching over this?

KINGMOKU

May 16, 2005
that's an incredible character indictment, i sure hope you can back it up
He cant. So deep in the ideological cesspool coming up for air is like trying to move a mountain.

Remember, barr is compromised becuase of Trump. That's all the proof of whatever qackadoodle nonsense that will be spewed.

I'm so tired of people saying things that have no grounding in reality so I'm going right at them. Enough is enough.

Back it up, or dont say anything at all. I want proof.

Last edited:

HeresJohnny

Mar 14, 2018
I still say the biggest story is the media’s involvement in spreading the manure and obfuscating the truth. I remember big guffaws of laughter from the sycophants in the press when a Trump said he was spied on, and there’s been no introspection from the press now that it looks like he was correct.

Dec 10, 2018

Legally If it any crimes were committed ,they should investigated and(if need be) prosecuted according to law. If those crimes happen to be peripheral and ultimately unrelated to the scope of an investigation any special counsel that may or may not be appointed ,then so be it.
The law should apply to everyone . if it allows pro trump individuals to utilize the federal government for frivolous investigations into poltical rivals then that should apply to all.

As long as the law is followed, if trump can find judges to sign off on a fisa warrant and Special prosecutor that’s willing to prosecute anything , he should absolutely follow the precedent.

I mean can you imagine an investigation into the former administration doj with the intensity of the muller probe? The media reactions in and of itself would be worth it, but if trump can get a legal win he absolutely should take it.

The history books needs to have an as objective look into this mans presidency as possible , and by objective I don’t mean the msm account of these events.

Reactions: cryptoadam
Dec 10, 2018
In particular who were the leakers on Mueller's team who were passing nonsense off to Schiff and company. The fact that the investigation they were in turned up nothing while they were pretending to be super sleuths fighting the world's first simultaneously stupid and genius evil mastermind shows exactly what their intent was.

How in the world has there not been screeching over this?
Wow what the fuck? When reset gets a hold of this... I mean seriously I’m surprised there are no vox articles about this yet.