• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Baten Kaitos 100% Category "speed"run world record attempt [Day 1 of 15]

http://www.twitch.tv/baffan

Yes, you read that right. Day 1 out of 15.

EDIT: DAY 2 OUT OF 15.

100% in Baten Kaitos is defined by the speedrunning community as:

Fulfill everything that has a visible counter in the game, or anything that has an informative message when you complete it. It includes the 1022 Magnus, the 141 SP Combos, the 50 Constellations, the 32 members of the Quzman Family Tree, the 17 Animals to bring to Kaffaljidhma, and the Museum Quest. There are no message to congratulate you if you do all the quests of the game, or if all your characters reach level 99, that's why they are not required for 100%.

Already seems a bit rough, right?

Like the title says, this category takes around 350 hours to complete.

Why? Because:

In this game, items evolve over time. There is an item, the Shampoo, that takes literally 2 weeks (= 336 hours) to evolve into Splendid Hair. However, the time spent in menus doesn't count in those 336 hours, which means I had to minimize every menus in the whole game, and I had to stay outside of menus while being away.

Obviously the runner doesn't have a death wish, so he has stated that he'll only actively be playing 6-10 hours a day... for the next 15-ish days.

The rest of the time, he'll be leaving the game idle outside of menus so the Shampoo can evolve. The stream will stay live even during idle times so that the whole run will be recorded.

Oh, and the runner has already done this twice before. The first time wasn't recorded but the 2nd was: his world record currently stands at 347:52:34

I definitely don't intend to watch 6-10 hours of active play per day but I love Baten Kaitos, speedrunning, and crazy shit like this so I'll be tuning in every once in awhile to check progress.

The runner created his own checklist for this route so it's easy to check progress with a glance:

http://baffan.free.fr/bk100/

More run details: http://pastebin.com/BRvPJ430

McDougles

Good to hear those caveats, otherwise:

maxresdefault.jpg

Can he not just change the Gamecube's clock to cheat the evolving Magnus?

After doing a bit of research, this doesn't seem like an option that works (regardless it probably wouldn't be allowed for a speedrun). My guess is that it's because even if he does this, his in-game timer wouldn't be different, and I imagine that's what the evolution of items is based on. It's not like The End fight in MGS3 where the game actually cares about the passage of real time outside the game.

Tamanator

Wow, what a coincidence, just put on the Baten Kaitos OST and I stumble upon this thread.

I'm just surprised that there are people out there who would want to 'speed run' Baten Kaitos....

his record is 347 and the item takes 336 hours so is it safe to assume that it takes him around 10-11 hours to acquire it? (i would think he finishes the game as soon as the item is ready.

Blobbers

In this game, items evolve over time. There is an item, the Shampoo, that takes literally 2 weeks (= 336 hours) to evolve into Splendid Hair. However, the time spent in menus doesn't count in those 336 hours, which means I had to minimize every menus in the whole game, and I had to stay outside of menus while being away.

This is trash game design. 336 hours? Wtf. Double you tee ef.

his record is 347 and the item takes 336 hours so is it safe to assume that it takes him 11 hours to aquire it? (i would think he finishes the game as soon as the item is ready.

He hangs out near the point of no return at the end waiting for the item to evolve. I'm not sure how/why there are other time losses during active play but that's why the time isn't closer to 336 hours.

His first run, he said he lost 16 hours due to stupid playing on his part, which is why he did a 2nd run and got the 347 hour time. I guess he wants to get the run down as close to 336 as possible.

I should note you don't get the item until around 1.5 hours into the game, too, and that timer doesn't start until you've acquired it.

100% agree. Without this item, 100% would be around 80-120 hours according to the runner. That's slightly more palatable, considering some JRPGs are 40-60 hours even without it being 100%.

sphinx

the piano man
this is one of the hardest speed runs I can think of, not because of the splendid hair, but because there are several magnus cards that are one-chance events, obtainable only within a very specific time window.

I asume that knowing everything by heart, it shouldn't be problem, but there's one part of the "huge cooking recipe" that can be obtained by shooting perfectly (not sure if the hole game or just a certain group of enemies) in Mizuti's boat-shooting minigame.

If he messes up there, he can reset the whole thing but that pretty much throws the speed run down the drain... and that part is well into the game, probably around the 70% mark (I think?)...

insane.

nope

this is one of the hardest speed runs I can think of, not because of the splendid hair, but because there are several magnus cards that are one-chance events, obtainable only within a very specific time window.

I asume that knowing everything by heart, it should be a problem but fthere's one part of the "huge cooking recipe" that can be obtained by shooting perfectly (not sure if the hole game or just a certain group of enemies) in Mizuti's boat-shooting minigame.

If he messes up there, he can reset the whole thing but that pretty much throws the speed run down the drain... and that part is well into the game, probably around the 70% mark (I think?)...

insane.

nope

Now that you mention it, he did say that some of his time losses in the 1st run were due to him having to reset because he missed a one chance magnus somewhere. Due to the nature of the run, I guess he does save, but obviously the speedrun timer keeps running even if he loses a few hours of gameplay.

That's why he made that checklist site.

sphinx

the piano man
Now that you mention it, he did say that some of his time losses in the 1st run were due to him having to reset because he missed a one chance magnus somewhere. Due to the nature of the run, I guess he does save, but obviously the speedrun timer keeps running even if he loses a few hours of gameplay.

That's why he made that checklist site.

I'd bet he missed the one I mentioned,

I wouldn't be able to stand the pressure, no way in hell... I'd be pouring sweat and pissing my pants doing that minigame, after 250 hours of perfect gameplay

Boney

Banned
So like, the only thing that actually makes it a "speed run" is limiting menu use to a minimum? Because you have 300 hours to do everything, and that sounds like more than enough time... A 100% run sounds pretty dumb in this scenario

It's an Easter egg...

Schryver

Why wouldn't the speedrunning community for this game just remove the shampoo thing from the '100%' requirements? Stupid

Baliis

Why wouldn't the speedrunning community for this game just remove the shampoo thing from the '100%' requirements? Stupid

Because the whole thing is just for fun. Obviously if someone wanted to, they would just start a no shampoo category and run that. I'm sure one exists already

Schryver

Because the whole thing is just for fun. Obviously if someone wanted to, they would just start a no shampoo category and run that. I'm sure one exists already

I hope so. Approximately how much less time would that take? I'm guessing not enough to do it in one sitting, in which case this 350 hour thing isn't too big a deal and like you say..for "fun".

Question: due to the whole Splendid Hair thing, wouldn't that give him a huge buffer window to make mistakes beforehand? Like, it wouldn't matter how fast you're going through the game if you have to wait that long to 100% anyways, right?

I hope so. Approximately how much less time would that take? I'm guessing not enough to do it in one sitting, in which case this 350 hour thing isn't too big a deal and like you say..for "fun".

The runner said minus shampoo, it's still an 80-120 hour 100%. There are other items that evolve over time, but none take anywhere near as long as the shampoo.

Question: due to the whole Splendid Hair thing, wouldn't that give him a huge buffer window to make mistakes beforehand? Like, it wouldn't matter how fast you're going through the game if you have to wait that long to 100% anyways, right?

Yes, someone else asked that above. The problem is that mistakes in this category are generally constituted by missing a one-chance magnus. In which case, he has to load. If he loads, it's not a "buffer window" at all, since that also adds all that time to how long he has to wait for the shampoo again because it evolves in game time and not real time.

sphinx

the piano man

this is right, it's kind of a pointless speedrun with how the splendid hair is obtained.

if we took that requirement away, the next card that would need a long time to age would be the Peach Boy, which turns into Wonder MOMO in 72 hours, and you can only get wonder momo by letting the Peach Boy age. There's stuff that changes into "Rotten food" after 72 hours but you can get that magnus from other things.

72 hours, that would be nice time for a 99.99% Completion speed run

EDIT: but 72 hours isn't possible, since the Peach Boy comes from a Peach and that has to age 8 hours, so yeah, 80 hours for the next shortest amount of time for the speed run.

Apparently the previous two times he ran this category, he did absolutely everything he could in the first week so the entire second week was just standing still waiting, and he felt that was awful for everybody.

That's why he's planning on doing something like an island per day this time, with the 6-10 hours a day scheduling.

At this rate he'll be done with active gameplay on the 13th day. Then he plans to just do a grinding/relaxation session on the 14th day, and the 15th day will end it after the shampoo evolves.

100% agree. Without this item, 100% would be around 80-120 hours according to the runner. That's slightly more palatable, considering some JRPGs are 40-60 hours even without it being 100%.

I am 99.99% sure there is no JRPG anywhere that has an any% speedrun anywhere near that long.

I am 99.99% sure there is no JRPG anywhere that has an any% speedrun anywhere near that long.

I wasn't talking about speedrunning. I was talking about casually playing through a JRPG.

Edit: To clarify, I'm saying that a 100% speedrun that's 80-120 hours long is more palatable because there are some JRPGs with casual playthrough times of 40-60 hours, where that time doesn't even amount to 100% completion of the game (like Star Ocean 4, for example).

NewGame

Banned

Baten Kaitos has hundreds of little secret combinations and special unlockables scattered throughout, none of which are actually required to beat the game. I finished the main story in about 40-50 hours iirc because I ignored most of the side content.

I do note the runner is French and the PAL version was 50Hz only but in their any % FAQ they say the following:
Q: What are the region differences?
A: First of all, PAL is not running slower. The game has been correctly converted because the in game timer is very important in this game. US and JAP versions can skip the Mizuti's song, which is around 1min30, but PAL cannot. JAP also has a longer intro cutscene, around 30 seconds. So US > JAP > PAL. Feel free to offer me a US copy. <3
Good to hear and surprising considering Tales of Symphonia was also 50Hz and so badly (read: not) converted the in-game clock ran slow (as in a minute of PAL ToS was like 1 minute 10 seconds of real time.

Baten Kaitos games sound brutal to speedrun. This seems to be one of the few runners and with a PB/WR of 14 hours for any % it isn't going to be smooth.

For anyone curious Baten Kaitos Origins is better at around 8 hours but the SDA run was 75 segments (hey its segments, that should put a date on that run as these segments are not in vogue at all...those segments do have insane menus though).

sphinx

the piano man
I just revisited this thread and went to the link,

it's currently at 341 hours and waiting for the Splendid Hair to appear. everything else done.

kind of a sad speed run with that one condition.

EDIT: Oh it seems it's about to happen in the next hours, PR is currently 347 hours, and he expects the splendid Hair to appear shortly after 342

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
For anyone curious Baten Kaitos Origins is better at around 8 hours but the SDA run was 75 segments (hey its segments, that should put a date on that run as these segments are not in vogue at all...those segments do have insane menus though).

Holy shit, its like staring into the face of God...

About 25 minutes ago I had to go off for food but he was saying something about the fact that in-game cutscenes might also pause the magnus timer which might add so much time that it is no longer a PB :(

Edit: It is done now (344:47). Ending is playing. There is player input required.

Edit: http://www.twitch.tv/baffan/v/24738019
About 2 hours 30 is when he finds he has the hair...and due to an inventory sorting issue he might have had it for a long time :( well up to two hours as that the previous save they had.

Top Bottom