• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batfleck No More: James Gunn and Peter Safran exploring how to make Battison canon to the DCU

ManaByte

Gold Member

That’s how speculation over Henry Cavill’s future as Superman or whether Jason Momoa will continue playing Aquaman wind-up feeding headlines for days, egged on by the seemingly immortal devotion of director Zack Snyder’s extremely online fanbase, who still hold out hope that his conception of the DC Universe could live on. But at least one core element of the so-called Snyderverse is likely over: A well-placed source says Gunn and Safran are exploring the possibility of incorporating filmmaker Matt Reeves’ iteration of Batman with actor Robert Pattinson into their wider universe.

Yes, Gunn on Twitter said he liked Affleck as Batman, but that was likely just to stop a YouTuber from making up a BS story that he didn't like him.

SJRB

Gold Member
iu

Look at this fucking guy. How is he not the perfect Batman?

I will stan for this man until the day I die.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
iu

I've always thought he was the worst one. Looks too bulky. Stubby ears. Doesn't look agile at all. Doesn't look intimidating at all.

And he's too old to begin a long term project that could last 10 years. And he's tied to all the previous terrible movies.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
iu

Bawtmarn from Boston.

“Hey Mah! hey mah! Mah?… oh wait she is dead”

Doesn’t work.

Actually he does. Shame he was in two shit or was it three shit movies as him.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've always thought he was the worst one. Looks too bulky. Stubby ears. Doesn't look agile at all. Doesn't look intimidating at all.

And he's too old to begin a long term project that could last 10 years. And he's tied to all the previous terrible movies.
But he was bulky AF with stubby ears in the Batman vs. Superman comics (and all the Dark Horse spinoffs). He was pretty bulk in the Arkham game series as well.

The tiny batmen like Bale always looked off and not believable to me.

Last edited:

When they used CGI Batfleck actually looked most Batman-like. He was agile, quick and you could feel the power in the punches. I agree he should have been leaner. Definitely not the worst.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Pattinson was great but you can’t make it retroactively fit, what with his version of Gordon, Alfred.

It’d have to be some type of multiverse or reality bending that allows him to take the place of Affleck.

Unless they take their toys over to the Reeves universe and build off of that.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Other than the bloated fatman look from the JL reshoot period I thought he was great. His big fight scene in BvS was the MOST dynamic and agile batman we have ever gotten in live action!

DC has managed to survive a revolving door of actors in their stuff because the roles are so iconic. I think they COULD just cast anew for each project series. But what bugs me is the seeming lack of coordination across projects with the ever growing bin of near complete but shelved stuff eating away at confidence in the company.

The MCU hasn't really had this moment (yet), but I think it is coming and it will be far harder for them because almost all awareness of their roster is derived from one prior actors performance stretched out over many films (a couple of the x-men defty dodged around this of course and spider man just straight up embraced it)

I feel like I am the only one reacting positively to this news. Batinson would make a fine addition (beginning?) to the rebooted DCU. If they somehow bring Cavil back, all the better since he is only 2 years older.

I would love if they get Cavil back to team up with Pattinson in future DC films

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
But he was bulky AF with stubby ears in the Batman vs. Superman comics (and all the Dark Horse spinoffs). He was pretty bulk in the Arkham game series as well.

Batman shouldn't be built like a shit brickhouse if we are being "realistic" about moving around and getting into scraps in a suit. He should be a well-conditioned cardio stud. Either way I still like Keaton best lol.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
Which is what they should do.
I think so. I’m not exactly dying for Reeve’s universe to expand, and I think it’s fine on it’s own, but it is a good starting point and just seems to make the most sense, business-wise.

Last edited:

jakinov

Guy seems clueless. Might as well make Joaquin Phoenix's joker cannon.
Seems like the best approach as long as they keep the director/writer of the trilogy happy. Ben Affleck keeps saying he doesn't want to be Batman anymore. The existing plan was to replace him with Michael Keaton which is arguably a worse idea. It seems they want to reboot the universe so why not use what works instead of relying on someone who's on the fence about playing the role long term.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
iu

He looked fine, but the characterisation was fucking dog shit. Batfleck was a moron. A reckless, murdering idiot. So far from the source material it's not funny. Snyder never understood the character at all. Which is why we got a poor adaptation of Miller's Batman.

Personally I think cinematic universes are limiting. They found the most success with Joker and Batman standalones, and that's what they should model everything from: standalones allow for satisfying, complete films without needing to "fit the brand" or "move the arc forward". Interconnected films are an exciting hook at the start that eventually hinders enjoyment when you start to lose track of what's happening or miss a film.

Also, I don't understand how Ben Affleck went from being a bright spot in a shitty series to "the best Batman". He did fine, and the sea of shit he was in made him look better, but he's not unreplaceable.

Personally I think George Clooney is the perfect Bruce Wayne. He just didn't have a fucking clue how to be Batman. The point of Bruce Wayne is that he seems like a douchy, fun loving indulgent billionaire. He's not suppose to have depth, or be brooding like Batman. It's a thick mask so no one should ever suspect his real identity. The contrast is what makes it interesting. Nobody knows how to do charming, vacuous, and playboy better than Danny Ocean. He comes off as natural in that aspect as you could get. Keaton works great as well because his Bruce is so subdued, a bookish, quiet guy with a bit of charm you would never suspect is a man of violence yet not entirely surprised when he is. Christian Bale is a good balance, but his Bruce Wayne is so obviously flamboyant, so showy anyone could sense he was off, or compensating for/hiding something. They all work for their respective movie tones.

I enjoyed Matt Reeves and Pattinson's take, it works well because it's fresh and we've never seen a Batman like this, so damaged he's basically Batman all the time, a freak in and out of costume, but something was lost in the trade off.
Pattinson was great but you can’t make it retroactively fit, what with his version of Gordon, Alfred.

It’d have to be some type of multiverse or reality bending that allows him to take the place of Affleck.

Unless they take their toys over to the Reeves universe and build off of that.
Why do you think the big shakeup is happening? Whatever happens next the tone of the whole DCU is gonna be completely different from from the Snyderverse. Pattinson isn't "retroactively fitting" into that world, a brand new one might be built around the one he's in. It's no surprise Gunn is a big fan of the new Batman movie, underdog misfits and weirdos are his mojo and Pattinson's Batman is embodies those things.

I don't know why I just thought of it, but it's a shame Paul Verhoven is a million years old. I'd love to see him do a Batman film. Or any comic film for that matter. Especially something like a Dred sequel.
That man would have made the perfect Dark Knight Returns adaptation, Robocop is basically 75% DKR anyway. Too bad Snyder has already taken so much from it and put it in his shit movies, and there's two blandly animated films based off it that have none of the stylish flair of the graphic novel.

Seconded.

Batfleck was intimidating as fuck.
He looked like a tank. Hit like a tank and most importantly was agile enough to take out a room full of bad guys.

Someone looking like this. Built like a brick shit house and comes at you in a dark alley

2UHY.gif

VS

This. My first thought would be 'Is it comic con this week?'

images

Last edited:

Trunx81

Batfleck was ok, but like stated before he looks like a turtle with small ears. The comic Batman has these weird proportions with a ridiculous big chest and supermodel legs. Not one real human can probably come close to it, especially when you try to be realistic with a bullet proof costume.

Except Henry Cavill. I would just cast Cavill as every character. Superman? Cavill. Batman? Cavill. Penguin? Cavill. WonderWoman? Also Cavill. That goal post over there? Chuck Testa!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Seconded.

Batfleck was intimidating as fuck.
He looked like a tank. Hit like a tank and most importantly was agile enough to take out a room full of bad guys in a warehouse.

Someone looking like this. Built like a brick shit house and comes at you in a dark alley

2UHY.gif

VS

This. My first thought would be 'Is it comic con this week?'

images
Not to mention you will need a tank to take on Superman and have it aesthetically believable.

FunkMiller

Gold Member

So, the Batman who straight up murders goons in a warehouse fight where he performs grossly exaggerated superhuman feats of strength that no human could accomplish… or the Batman who takes down an entire swat team, killing no one, in a display of strategic genius, as well as physical prowess, using the gadgets at his disposal.

Fuck me. Anyone who bangs on about how great Batfleck is has never read a fucking Batman comic, I swear to god 😂

You guys don’t want Batman. You want The Punisher in a bat costume. Very little about Batfleck is actually who and what Batman is. He’s Zack Snyder’s dudebro , thick as shit wet dream, not anyone’s idea of how to do the character well.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Gunn has now shot this shit down in flames:

Gotta say, he's doing a great job of killing these rumours off.

Thank god. Let battinson in his own contained universe. For better or worse he doesn't fit.

In fact, im tired of all this universe bullshit. Focus on the characters own stories first, batfleck never got a movie so the character never really got any development in the DCEU. For better or worse.

Give superman his own contained movie in mos2 or whatever. Keep the cameos to a minimun in future movies and build up from there, then maybe in 10 years theyll have the pieces that actually fit for actual crossover stuff.

i'd have to see screen tests... i didnt hate pattinson as batman, i think the story and direction soured me on the overall film...im sure they could easily change the style/direction/etc. of the films and slowly (or quickly) evolve pattisons batman into a less emo one.

ADiTAR

Banned
Wasn't a fan of the Pattison Batman movie in general. He was ok, but the movie was too dark, like watching that GoT battle episode, couldn't see anything most of the movie.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
So, the Batman who straight up murders goons in a warehouse fight where he performs grossly exaggerated superhuman feats of strength that no human could accomplish… or the Batman who takes down an entire swat team, killing no one, in a display of strategic genius, as well as physical prowess, using the gadgets at his disposal.

Fuck me. Anyone who bangs on about how great Batfleck is has never read a fucking Batman comic, I swear to god 😂

You guys don’t want Batman. You want The Punisher in a bat costume. Very little about Batfleck is actually who and what Batman is. He’s Zack Snyder’s dudebro , thick as shit wet dream, not anyone’s idea of how to do the character well.
I thought he had a suit tech that caused the strength enhancements just to take on Supe? And yes, Dark Horse Batman (where vs Superman was introduced) he was savage and mangled people.

They even have him mangling/killing(?) people in the new DC game in homage to Conroy's voice work in that trailer.

Last edited:

Xenon

The Batman had good directing for the first 1/3 of the movie. After that it was serviceable.

Maybe Gunn sees more there, so Ill give it a chance. But I have zero interest in that version of the character.

Last edited:
Top Bottom