• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: AA/AC Steam Patch Live. Mac Version, Achievements, and GFWL/Securom removal

Kemal86

Glad this happened, but kind of wish there had been some notice (maybe there was and I missed it).

Would have liked to have been able to finish getting the Live achievements for both games, also having the save games wiped with no notice sucks.

Guess I better get on finishing up Dead Rising 2 Off The Record before the same thing happens.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
YES, managed to get AA working as well.

Browsing the thread, one guy said he managed to make his AA save work by deleting everything prior to the address 0x0184.

Here's what he said:

I got my own AA save to work by deleting everything before 0x0184. My working save file begins with "000001"

I should mention that if the save slot still shows up as "Empty," then first back up the saves you want restored. Next, go into the game and start a new save in each slot where you previously had a save (this will require skipping past the first two cutscenes until the game actually saves). Exit the game, then copy the saves you want restored back into the save folder and overwrite the existing saves. This applies to both AA and AC.

and after deleting everything prior to 0184, my save showed as corrupt. I deleted it in game, quit, moved the file back, started the game again and BLAM, my save for AA is also working.

I love the internet. Now I'll go thank that dude in the thread.

Grief.exe

Glad this happened, but kind of wish there had been some notice (maybe there was and I missed it).

Would have liked to have been able to finish getting the Live achievements for both games, also having the save games wiped with no notice sucks.

Guess I better get on finishing up Dead Rising 2 Off The Record before the same thing happens.

I've been talking about it since March, but if you've never seen my or gone into one of my threads you wouldn't know about it lol.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Grief, sorry to spam the thread, but here's what I did:

Batman: Arkham Asylum Regular GFWL Edition to New Batman:Arkham Asylum Steamworks
  • grab <profilename>save0.sgd (if you don't have <profilename> on your save file, it doesn't matter. Use that safe file anyway).
  • go to position 0x0184 (that's the fifth place in the 25th line of your hex editor. There's a place that tells which position you are. Figure it out, it's not hard)
  • delete everything prior to that location
  • overwrite the save (you made a backup first, right?)
  • remove <profilename> from the save file, if you have it.
  • open the game once, start a new game on the save slot where your game was saved in
  • make sure the game saves at least once
  • quit the game
  • open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\35140\
  • delete remotecache.vdf
  • enter C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\35140\remote
  • start the game and STOP on the loader. Do not click START GAME on the loader.
  • overwrite save0.gsd with your hexedited save file from before
  • start the game

Batman: Arkham City Regular GFWL Edition to New Batman:Arkham City Steamworks
  • grab <profilename>save0.sgd (if you don't have <profilename> on your save file, it doesn't matter. Use that safe file anyway).
  • open in a hex editor and HEX Search for 00:00:03:00
  • delete everything prior to the only search hit
  • remove <profilename> from the save if you have it
  • open the game once, start a new game on the save slot where your game was saved in
  • quit the game
  • open C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\200260\
  • delete remotecache.vdf
  • enter C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\<userid>\200260\remote
  • start the game

Underlined step is to go around the cloud save sync that steam does. If you overwrite the save file before opening the game, Steam will just pull whatever was in the cloud (sometimes) and fuck it all up.

Italics Is the only different step from each game.

It's a more complex step-by-step, but I suck at explaining things in a concise manner.

Edit: Fixed the folders

Dr.Acula

Banned
I got a second PC (Mac) and I logged out of Steam on Windows, logged in on Steam on Mac, and AC isn't really... downloading at all. Seems stalled. Advice?

edit: okay, it started working. I am not good at Mac computer.

Eusis

Nice, thanks, bought.

No AA though? Bummer.
AA's on sale too.

And I may see if I can get my old Arkham Asylum save working just for the sake of it. No point in AC though, I think I literally just got to the point I stopped (
the church from where the Joker sniped.
) And I see AC GOTY has its own set of Steam achievements too, this might be great for the truly crazy who want to go for triple achievements on PC, nevermind PS3/360.

I was worried when I had read word over the past few weeks that the vanilla edition of AC wasn't going to get patched. In the end, it didn't, but WB came through with upgrading everyone to GOTY! Probably doesn't cost the developers and is less work in the end to only have to worry about patching one version.

Batman: Arkham Asylum Regular GFW Edition to New Batman:Arkham Asylum Steamworks
  • grab <profilename>save0.sgd
  • go to position 0x0184 (that's the fifth place in the 25th line of your hex editor. There's a place that tells which position you are. Figure it out, it's not hard)
  • quit the game
  • delete remotecache.vdf
  • start the game

Batman: Arkham City Regular GFW Edition to New Batman:Arkham City Steamworks
  • open in a hex editor and HEX Search for 00:00:0E:00
  • quit the game
  • delete remotecache.vdf
  • start the game

Underlined step is to go around the cloud save sync that steam does. If you overwrite the save file before opening the game, Steam will just pull whatever was in the cloud (sometimes) and fuck it all up.

It's a more complex step-by-step, but I suck at explaining things in a concise manner.

You could figure this out.

The people who are removing GfWL couldn't?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
You could figure this out.

The people who are removing GfWL couldn't?

To be honest, there's many more alternatives to the scenario: People could be using offline profiles (I don't know if it works the same), people could have saves in different slots, people could have saves assigned to a profile and saves not assigned to a profile (My Arkham Asylum save wasn't, for some weird reason, which is why the regular directions provided at first didn't work). You'd have to take into consideration people that had the GOTY before and people that didn't. If they have both, which save to keep?. Also, I didn't figure it out, I just read 6 pages of that Steam Thread on the subject.

But you're not wrong, it's not that difficult to make a script to hexedit the file for you at patch. They just didn't bother: It's too many scenarios and bound to fuck something up, and they prolly wouldn't provide any support for it, and I personally don't really blame them for that. But that's because I can do it myself if I want to.

Def Jukie

Did the DX11 support never get fixed in AC? It won't even boot up for me when DX11 is on but works fine when I switch to DX9.

Batman: Arkham Asylum Regular GFW Edition to New Batman:Arkham Asylum Steamworks
  • quit the game
  • delete remotecache.vdf
  • start the game

Batman: Arkham City Regular GFW Edition to New Batman:Arkham City Steamworks
  • open in a hex editor and HEX Search for 00:00:0E:00
  • quit the game
  • delete remotecache.vdf
  • start the game

this worked like a charm for AA and I have no doubt AC will have the same results.

thanks man.

To be honest, there's many more alternatives to the scenario: People could be using offline profiles (I don't know if it works the same), people could have saves in different slots, people could have saves assigned to a profile and saves not assigned to a profile (My Arkham Asylum save wasn't, for some weird reason, which is why the regular directions provided at first didn't work). You'd have to take into consideration people that had the GOTY before and people that didn't. If they have both, which save to keep?. Also, I didn't figure it out, I just read 6 pages of that Steam Thread on the subject.

But you're not wrong, it's not that difficult to make a script to hexedit the file for you at patch. They just didn't bother: It's too many scenarios and bound to fuck something up, and they prolly wouldn't provide any support for it, and I personally don't really blame them for that. But that's because I can do it myself if I want to.

Yea like the directory paths since the one you listed is not the number I have (although you can use steam itself to find it out).

If its that different for a user I could see why they wouldn't bother touch it.

After doing the recover though it seems worthless since the achievements assigned to them remained locked :(

And on that note I just got the Zasaz achievement LOL

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yea like the directory paths since the one you listed is not the number I have (although you can use steam itself to find it out).

If its that different for a user I could see why they wouldn't bother touch it.

After doing the recover though it seems worthless since the achievements assigned to them remained locked :(

And on that note I just got the Zasaz achievement LOL

No, I just listed the folders for the new GOTY versions. I don't know if the old GOTY versions have a different folder, as I don't have them. The old Non-GOTY versions most certainly do. Non-Steam versions of the game also put their saves on a different folder, in the my documents folder. The original post on how to fix the saves lists all the actual folders that the save files could be in. I just assumed people would use that to look for their version of the save file.

No, I just listed the folders for the new GOTY versions. I don't know if the old GOTY versions have a different folder. The old Non-GOTY versions most certainly do. The original post on how to fix the saves lists all the actual folders that the save files could be in. I just assumed people would use that to look for their original folders.

Yea sorry, I thought your folders were off but after checking again they where both right but just assigned to the wrong game.

AA GOTY was in 35140 and AC GOTY was in 200260 for me so mainly in regards to where you should place the file so the steamworks version could see it was confusing.

Def Jukie

Made a couple of Steam Grid Icons in celebration of being freed of the Securom/GFWL shackles. I'll be expecting more threads like these over the next year. Grief, please find your next target.

Arkham Asylum
iEKGNiLAkl61z.png

Arkham City
jbwXhiu7VLKkQG.png

Nice! I had both Arkham games for a long time now but finally downloaded them this week to see how they ran on my late 2013 iMac. I'm glad there's a Mac version of AC on Steam now. I wonder if it's the exact same as the Windows version. Does anyone know? Guess I'll find out soon. Hope to see more Mac versions of games on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Nice! I had both Arkham games for a long time now but finally downloaded them this week to see how they ran on my late 2013 iMac. I'm glad there's a Mac version of AC on Steam now. I wonder if it's the exact same as the Windows version. Does anyone know? Guess I'll find out soon. Hope to see more Mac versions of games on Steam.

It is, hence the SteamPlay logo.

Sober

Welp, already got all the achievements on GFWL for AA non-GOTY and AA GOTY versions. What's another full set of Steam achievements?

Don't know if I can marathon both AA and AC before Origins comes out next week though.

Don't know if I can marathon both AA and AC before Origins comes out next week though.

I started tearing through AA this morning, and hopefully I'll be done with the story achievements tomorrow, but I think I'll leave it at that for now so I don't burn myself out on Batmanning for Origins.

Sober

I started tearing through AA this morning, and hopefully I'll be done with the story achievements tomorrow, but I think I'll leave it at that for now so I don't burn myself out on Batmanning for Origins.
Yeah, I feel like a quick story run in AA/AC for Origins might be something I'd do and then maybe get back to backfilling in achievements once I give it some time. Mostly because going back to combat in AA will be tough.

JaseC

I mean graphically. It should be the same though.

I'm not sure about BioShock Infinite on Mac. But I'll download the Windows version sometime this weekend. I'm pretty sure the Windows version looks better and has more options. I didn't see any Ultra options in the Mac version.

Ah, right. Hardware-accelerated PhysX is exclusive to Windows, but other than that I imagine the versions are practically identical (Edit: DX11 features aside). BioInf Mac lacking higher resolutions and the "Ultra" setting was a creative liberty taken by Aspyr; the Batman games were ported by Feral.

TheD

The Detective
I mean graphically. It should be the same though.

I'm not sure about BioShock Infinite on Mac. But I'll download the Windows version sometime this weekend. I'm pretty sure the Windows version looks better and has more options. I didn't see any Ultra options in the Mac version.

It will not look the same, OSX lags baddy behind in OpenGL support, mavericks is the first version of OSX that will support at least OpenGL4 (4.1 is what it will support, but that is still a few years old) and thus things like tessellation.
So you would need to be running mavericks and have the game support OpenGL 4 (at least) to get it to look about the same as the Windows version.

Eusis

I wasn't asked to activate like I was in the past, does that mean it's gone?
People seem to think performance is better, so maybe.

... And is it me or is PhysX REALLY gimmicky? Running with the Geforce Experience settings, and stuff like dragging rugs around while walking is more immersion breaking than enhancing, seems like the kind of thing you want to show off in benchmarks but maybe not actually have ON while playing.

JaseC

People seem to think performance is better, so maybe.

... And is it me or is PhysX REALLY gimmicky? Running with the Geforce Experience settings, and stuff like dragging rugs around while walking is more immersion breaking than enhancing, seems like the kind of thing you want to show off in benchmarks but maybe not actually have ON while playing.

Very few games have PhysX features that are well-optimised, and fewer still feature effects that are something more than poorly-conceived window dressing. It's immensely annoying. I still think that Mirror's Edge is the best example of the technology, at least in terms of cohesiveness.

Eusis

Very few games have PhysX features that are well-optimised, and fewer still feature effects that are something more than poorly-conceived window dressing. It's immensely annoying. I still think that Mirror's Edge is the best example of the technology, at least in terms of cohesiveness.
I imagine it's generally the fate of a feature only a small number of people will actually use relative to the number of people who'll play the game period. More subtle effects on the rugs, less pointless trash laying around, etc probably could've had a better effect, but as is I'm thinking of just turning it off entirely for a rock solid 60 FPS.

JaseC

I imagine it's generally the fate of a feature only a small number of people will actually use relative to the number of people who'll play the game period. More subtle effects on the rugs, less pointless trash laying around, etc probably could've had a better effect, but as is I'm thinking of just turning it off entirely for a rock solid 60 FPS.

Sure, but considering the politics involved (Nvidia "moneyhats", if you will, though that's not to suggest it applies in all cases), giving PhysX the cold shoulder, causing insufferable performance for most if not literally all of those interested in enabling the effects, is rather self-defeating. PhysX is largely considered a joke because far more often than not it incurs a significant performance penalty for little visual gains and this is something Nvidia ought to be stamping out, not indirectly encouraging.

Top Bottom