• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman AK PC Perf Thread of DARKNESS, NO SETTINGS [30fps cap / intro removal in OP]

JRW

I'd like to believe that this is the patch that actually fixed the game, but I don't. I'm not gonna redownload 30GB just to probably suffer the same memory leaks.

It's finally playable for me at 60fps/1080P with minor stutter when driving bat mobile and i'm running an older 1st gen i7 920 (oc'd 3.4ghz) / 12GB / 290X 4GB w/ 15.12 Crimson drivers / Win 10.

The only oddity.. I still have to alt-tab out of the game once in order to make the framerate a lot more stable for the rest of the session, seems like a triple buffer glitch but I don't see it mentioned a lot so not sure whats going on there, happened on my previous install of Win 7 and now on a fresh / formatted install of Win 10.

Same run, Batmobile from beginning to end at high speed :
M6qdkFJ.png

As usual not "perfectly" smooth but the game runs very well. The rain is slightly heavier and the rain shaders more flagrant.

16gb of RAM + SSD greatly helps.

That is much better than frame time graphs you were making a number of months ago. Obviously not super great for those that like flat 60 experiences though. BTW, just so everyone knows, fraps is not capturing actual variances at times. You can play a game that is a locked 60 with zero fframe pacing problems and fraps (due to its point in the frame chain) will report variances you as a user do not see.

Yes for you, but feel free to provide a frametime graph showing us your magic, stutter free copy

I don't have any frametime measuring software, but whatever that graph would show isn't going to change the fact that it's smooth. I'm usually very sensitive to stutter, so it's not like I'm missing stutter cause I have a high tolerance.

But then again I'm only at Bleake island, so I haven't explored the entire city. There might be stutter for me too later in the game.

I don't have any frametime measuring software, but whatever that graph would show isn't going to change the fact that it's smooth. I'm usually very sensitive to stutter, so it's not like I'm missing stutter cause I have a high tolerance.

But then again I'm only at Bleake island, so I haven't explored the entire city. There might be stutter for me too later in the game.

all you needs is fraps.

http://www.fraps.com

kinggroin

Banned
The game stutters on consoles as well. Late in the game drops down to the low teens during heavy batmobile segments while missing some extra effects found on PC.

You guys fighting over some stutter or not having locked 60fps at 1080p (let alone 4k)are going to have to let this one go. It's where it should have been at launch based on previous high-end multi platform releases.

You guys fighting over some stutter or not having locked 60fps at 1080p (let alone 4k)are going to have to let this one go. It's where it should have been at launch based on previous high-end multi platform releases.

Kind of. It is better than the console versions, definitely. But unless they fixed the inability to get 60 fps even on the lowest settings 720p with a titan x and a 5820K... then I still think the game and its engine is fundamentally broken in a specific, pc-centric way.

Kezen

Banned
The game stutters on consoles as well. Late in the game drops down to the low teens during heavy batmobile segments while missing some extra effects found on PC.

I don't see anyone making the argument that it cannot be a much better experience on the right specs, but objectively stuttering still remains, that's all my frametimes graph was meant to demonstrate.

Those who are ultra sensitive to frametime variances can forget about 60fps. I have not tested at 30fps with RTSS and I have no intention of doing so, by my standards the 60fps I'm getting is good enough but then again I'm the kind of weirdo who would take this kind of 60fps over 30fps.

I forgot to add that I was running maximum settings save for the two heaviest Gameworks effects which are too taxing for my 980 if I'm aiming for 60fps.
GPU usage never goes above 80%, 70% most of the time I benched.

Kezen

Banned
It wasn't a patch, just the DLC (SoF + a car skin + a challenge pack). Another patch is in the works, though.

You know I really thought they would not even try to fix things anymore, I'm surprised.
I was not expecting a single effort to improve performance after the game rereleased in October.

In cases like this it feels good to be wrong. :)

Kezen

Banned
I misread the depot id. WB is just prepping another piece of DLC.

Well technically this is still support. :d

What a journey. From the absolutely disastrous launch to somewhat playable on a wide range of machines, it will go down as one of the worst PC launch in history, but frankly I'm not unhappy with the game itself. Enjoyed it in spite of very wonky framerate for months.

Hopefully WB will have learned their lesson, outsourcing is not a sin but you have to be careful who is tasked and under what circumstances.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
It wasn't a patch, just the DLC (SoF + a car skin + a challenge pack).

Well I dunno what it did, or if it was the dec 18 patch, but stuttering is back in force for me, only slightly on inital load, but unbearably so when switching from one of the new mission areas back to open world.

*sigh*.

jett

D-Member
It's finally playable for me at 60fps/1080P with minor stutter when driving bat mobile and i'm running an older 1st gen i7 920 (oc'd 3.4ghz) / 12GB / 290X 4GB w/ 15.12 Crimson drivers / Win 10.

The only oddity.. I still have to alt-tab out of the game once in order to make the framerate a lot more stable for the rest of the session, seems like a triple buffer glitch but I don't see it mentioned a lot so not sure whats going on there, happened on my previous install of Win 7 and now on a fresh / formatted install of Win 10.

Eh nevermind, the game went to shit again after starting new game plus.

Freiya

I'm still depressed this game will never support sli. It's going to suck going from 4k 60 fps in origins to 1080p maybe 60 fps in AK.

Kezen

Banned
The only reason it didn't surprise me is because of how incompetent they've been with this game's hardware resource utilisation thus far.

It is not the most optimized software on PC but 1440p/60fps with the Gameworks stuff on is a tall order, even for a 980ti which can struggle to keep 60fps at all times with those features enabled.

Like they say They gave free: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition; City GOTY, Origins, (with all DLC) Blackgate and some extra for Arkham Knight! Didn't play Origins and Blackgate so very nice! You should check your Steam. Amazing deal for me because i'm actually not so aggrieved with Knight, sorry for all living with problems. (i looked with some final patches and liked performance so far.)

Also game came with GTX 970 for me, glad they didn't screw us.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Like they say They gave free: Batman Arkham Asylum GOTY Edition; City GOTY, Origins, (with all DLC) Blackgate and some extra for Arkham Knight! Didn't play Origins and Blackgate so very nice! You should check your Steam. Amazing deal for me because i'm actually not so aggrieved with Knight, sorry for all living with problems. (i looked with some final patches and liked performance so far.)

Also game came with GTX 970 for me, glad they didn't screw us.
Not to those who already owned them, since I had all four already and got nothing.

Skunkers

Not to those who already owned them, since I had all four already and got nothing.

Same.

I'm not terribly mad because I preordered Arkham Knight + the Season Pass for less than $60 through GMG as I recall; but it is disappointing that their only consolation gift was stuff people were likely to have already... but at least they did something. I think a lot of people got Blackgate at the least.

Mohasus

Just finished the game, started it three days ago.

Specs: 3570k, GTX 970. 16GB 1866, 1440p display.
Graphical Settings: Everything on/highest except for nvidia smoke and debris.

I'm surprised how well it ran. During the whole gameplay (15 hours), I had 2 glitches. A guy vanished during a beatdown (didn't affect anything) and twice Batman's shadow appeared from nothing. Other than that, the biggest issue was the steam overlay not working sometimes (borderless window, this didn't happen when I was playing in fullscreen). So I couldn't take screenshots directly (took some with msi afterburner).

No FPS problems, no stutteting, no crashes.

Gamegpu.ru have rested the game, using the in-game benchmark.
No frametimes graphs.

Did they provide a rationale for using the in game benchmark? It was worthless at launch, reporting very good performance on most rigs that was completely unrelated to actual in-game performance.

Mechazawa

I have to admit, I've been playing the game the past couple days, and it's been running fairly well for me. If I'm not driving or gliding through the city, I'm generally hitting at or very near 60fps.

Driving and gliding seem to fluctuate between 40-60. Not amazing performance, but inline with what I would expect. It's certainly running better than some other games I've been playing recently(wassup JC3/Vermintide)

i5 4570
Win10
20gigs
SSD

ISee

I have to admit, I've been playing the game the past couple days, and it's been running fairly well for me. If I'm not driving or gliding through the city, I'm generally hitting at or very near 60fps.

Driving and gliding seem to fluctuate between 40-60. Not amazing performance, but inline with what I would expect. It's certainly running better than some other games I've been playing recently(wassup JC3/Vermintide)

i5 4570
Win10
20gigs
SSD

Hmm interesting.
Maybe I ask how much system ram you have? And what resolution you are on?
I'm on a very similar system (maybe 2 hours into the game). And the game runs very good even with enabled nvidia features.

i5 3570k [@4.3]
16gb ddr3 [2400]
980 [@1450 core; 7550 vram]
win10
850 evo ssd
1080p

The minimum I got so far are 50 fps in very hectic driving situation with a lot of smoke. Gliding and the rest seems to be locked at 60 fps.

Peterthumpa

I've been playing it 30 FPS locked at one resolution below 4K (can't recall right now, 3320xsomething). Impressive, for a GTX 970, and this is one of the smoothest 30 FPS to ever grace my PC.

However, even at this resolution aliasing is still sort of an issue. In-game AA is pretty mediocre and injectors do not work (tried the latest Reshade and Radeon Pro). Any tips?

My new favourite game is going through GAF performance threads and picking out those with magic GPUs performing a good 40%+ better than they should be.

wazoo

However, even at this resolution aliasing is still sort of an issue. In-game AA is pretty mediocre and injectors do not work (tried the latest Reshade and Radeon Pro). Any tips?

Radeon Pro is a AMD thing, rather buggy and not maintained, as far as I remember.

Reshade with SweetFX works for me and my 970 (in game AA was crap at some point, I do not know if they fixed it).

Peterthumpa

Radeon Pro is a AMD thing, rather buggy and not maintained, as far as I remember.

Reshade with SweetFX works for me and my 970 (in game AA was crap at some point, I do not know if they fixed it).

Nah, works with Nvidia too. It was actually one of the easiest ways to apply SMAA before SweetFX and Reshade went "mainstream".

Care to post some pictures with SweetFX on / off? It definetely isn't working here. In-game AA is still crappy, btw.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Are they still working on this? I've been waiting since release to play it, I can wait longer if they are as performance is king for me.

m_dorian

GAF i need your help.

I am a huge Batman fan since Batman: AA and AC. I liked Origins but not their combat or story.
I have an i7 4790, 8gb RAM win 10 with GTX960 4gb card but i do not have an SSD.
Should i get this game now or wait for an even better sale?
(Aiming for medium settings so the game might run ok)

GAF i need your help.

I am a huge Batman fan since Batman: AA and AC. I liked Origins but not their combat or story.
I have an i7 4790, 8gb RAM win 10 with GTX960 4gb card but i do not have an SSD.
Should i get this game now or wait for an even better sale?
(Aiming for medium settings so the game might run ok)

youll be fine at 30 fps 1080p

Mechazawa

Hmm interesting.
Maybe I ask how much system ram you have? And what resolution you are on?
I'm on a very similar system (maybe 2 hours into the game). And the game runs very good even with enabled nvidia features.

i5 3570k [@4.3]
16gb ddr3 [2400]
980 [@1450 core; 7550 vram]
win10
850 evo ssd
1080p

The minimum I got so far are 50 fps in very hectic driving situation with a lot of smoke. Gliding and the rest seems to be locked at 60 fps.

I've got 20 gigs of RAM. Just running at 1080p.

I'm surprised to hear that your driving/gliding sections run so well, so I'm guessing those sections are just CPU limited. I've got a non-K CPU which can't really overclock, so you're running at a much higher clockspeed than I am. Or maybe it's just weirdness with the port.

vg260

Has anyone tried switching between CPU/GPU physx? To see if you had any gains?

Just curious........

Not necessarily. I had PhysX assigned to an old nvidia card I kept installed just for that purpose. The game seemed to still run pretty well with all the nvidia stuff enabled. However, after installing Windows 10, I was getting constant crashes where I couldn't progress, and apparently it's nvidia's crappy Windows 10 drivers, so it may depend on OS to an extent. I had to turn a couple things off to keep from crashing.

Top Bottom