• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Asylum Demo allegedly spotted at Gamestop

DrBo42

batmanaa1.jpg

batmanaa2.jpg

Alleged player of said demo said:
I just played a demo @ Gamestop in Niles, Ohio on the display PS3. This game's going to be just about awesome. The demo is 4 levels of Batman in a room in the asylum with a number of thugs, starting with (I think) four. The number increases after every room clear.

It's only combat, but the combat mechanics are frickin' awesome. Countering's easy and smooth, and catching a kick behind your back and sticking an elbow to the face is priceless. Once you start a combo, you can seamlessly counter and attack in order to keep the combo counter climbing.

From what I can remember, the control layout is as follows:

triangle - cape swipe
square - attack
X - jump
L1 - detective mode

There's more, but that's all I can remember.

In the end, I wish there was more to it, but getting my hands on this was worth it.

best quote so far: "C'mon, guys. He's only one man! Of course he's dressed like a lunatic and armed to the teeth, but... GET HIM!!!" lolol

No idea if this is true, I'm leaning towards no due to skepticism. Any GAFers in the Niles, Ohio area?

kaskade

It's possible, I want it on XBLA and PSN though. There's a demo for Red Faction Guerrilla and If I'm not mistaken they are releasing around the same time.

Brannon

I see no reason for it to be fake, and will be at my local Gamestop first thing in the afternoon to check it out if it's there. After the meh-fest that was Batman Begins, I'm banking on this one to be quite a bit better.

Also my nostalgic memories of Sunsoft's Batman for NES and the Adventures of Batman and Robin SNES/GEN are driving me.

We don't talk about Midway's abortion. It never existed :mad:

DrBo42

Brannon said:
I see no reason for it to be fake, and will be at my local Gamestop first thing in the afternoon to check it out if it's there. After the meh-fest that was Batman Begins, I'm banking on this one to be quite a bit better.

Also my nostalgic memories of Sunsoft's Batman for NES and the Adventures of Batman and Robin SNES/GEN are driving me.

We don't talk about Midway's abortion. It never existed :mad:
Have stealth demo releases really happened before though? I'd think that Eidos would be getting the press all over this to navigate people away from the belief that Batman games suck.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
I watched my friend play this shit at Best Buy, earlier this week. It wasn't anything indicative of how the story mode is going to play. It's an arena level with you against thugs, just to show off Batman's effin win button, via counters. You can be facing away from someone, and automatically counter them. Combat seemed like nothing to get excited about. I'd rather have played a level with Batman doing detective work and combat, instead of Batman May Cry.

DrBo42

Oldschoolgamer said:
I watched my friend play this shit at Best Buy, earlier this week. It wasn't anything indicative of how the story mode is going to play. It's an arena level with you against thugs, just to show off Batman's effin win button, via counters. You can be facing away from someone, and automatically counter them. Combat seemed like nothing to get excited about. I'd rather have played a level with Batman doing detective work and combat, instead of Batman May Cry.
What the fuck? How long has this been out in stores? Ridiculous!

neight

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:
I was afraid of that.

raYne

neight said:
I was afraid of that.
You expect Batman to not be able to counter attacks from behind?

Anyway, that stuff was already in the previews. You have to time the counters with the attack indicator that pops up over an enemies head when he's about to attack you.

.GqueB.

Banned
Oldschoolgamer said:
Yea no SHIT you can youre fucking Batman. Have you ever seen Batman NOT counter? Only time Batman cant counter is when hes facing Bane or dogs for the most part. And Catwoman gives him a bit of a challenge here and there. Otherwise hes countering the shit out of people ESPECIALLY regular thugs. Did you even SEE the Dark Knight? What did he get hit like 3 times throughout that entire movie? Only time I even remember him getting hit was when he got hit with that glass bottle in the club but that was only because it was Dark and he was rageful and careless.

Its like you forgot who you were talking about here when you posted this. Youre fuckin Batman.

Dont be silly. This is Batman we're talking about. Hes a counter machine. Its sad you forgot this when you started posting.

Im actually surprised you havent edited this yet to account for your horrendous mistake.

Edit this.

Sorry Im drunk a bit. Only a bit though. Enough to call you out for forgetting this was a Batman game and that youre playing as Batman.

You act as if youre playing as Robin. Robin cant counter for shit. Batman... complete opposite.

DrBo42

raYne said:
You expect Batman to not be able to counter attacks from behind?

Anyway, that stuff was already in the previews. You have to time the counters with the attack indicator that pops up over an enemies head when he's about to attack you.

This, this, this! Batman has no rival in hand-to-hand combat. I don't want to pound on thugs for 5 minutes like in a Spider-Man game. The real danger to Batman is armed thugs, which is why you find out who has an automatic weapon via Detective mode and take that fool out first. The point of the combat is to make it quick, fluid, and satisfying. If they nailed that, I'm on board and so should you. The real challenge should be the puzzles, and the bosses.

raYne

.GqueB. said:
Yea no SHIT you can youre fucking Batman. Have you ever seen Batman NOT counter? Only time Batman cant counter is when hes facing Bane or dogs for the most part. And Catwoman gives him a bit of a challenge here and there. Otherwise hes countering the shit out of people ESPECIALLY regular thugs. Did you even SEE the Dark Knight? What did he get hit like 3 times throughout that entire movie.

Its like you forgot who you were talking about here when you posted this. Youre fuckin Batman.

Dont be silly. This is Batman we're talking about. Hes a counter machine. Its sad you forgot this when you started posting.

Im actually surprised you havent edited this yet to account for your horrendous mistake.

Edit this.

Sorry Im drunk a bit. Only a bit though. Enough to call you out for forgetting this was a Batman game and that youre playing as Batman.

You act as if youre playing as Robin. Robin cant counter for shit. Batman... complete opposite.
:lol Wow.

considering this comes out next month, yeah it's very nice to see a demo and can't wait to play it :D

EDIT: nm, it comes out in June

DrBo42

hamzik said:
May in Europe.

I want this demo on Marketplace NOW!
Exactly. I don't understand how this is in stores without even as much as a peep from the media. I demand that this be uploaded to the respective online networks.
Plz?

mujun

i have such a game boner after the challenge room video. a demo would be like oral sex till the game comes out.

DrBo42

mujun said:
i have such a game boner after the challenge room video. a demo would be like oral sex till the game comes out.
Yes, yes it would. I e-mailed Eidos PR trying to get some info about a possible PSN/XBL release but I doubt they'll respond. It makes me sad that this is sitting in Gamestop or Bestbuy being played by random nubs. I wants it. :(

DrBo42

FuKuy said:
PC DEMO too, please... don't forget PC gamers. ;)
:lol Oops.

Edit: Just got a response from Eidos PR. Apparently it's a Playstation ONLY kiosk demo. He didn't mention if it would be making it onto PSN, asking him that now.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
.GqueB. said:
Yea no SHIT you can youre fucking Batman. Have you ever seen Batman NOT counter? Only time Batman cant counter is when hes facing Bane or dogs for the most part. And Catwoman gives him a bit of a challenge here and there. Otherwise hes countering the shit out of people ESPECIALLY regular thugs. Did you even SEE the Dark Knight? What did he get hit like 3 times throughout that entire movie? Only time I even remember him getting hit was when he got hit with that glass bottle in the club but that was only because it was Dark and he was rageful and careless.

Edit this.

Oh this post SO delivers... :lol

.GqueB. said:
Did you even SEE the Dark Knight? What did he get hit like 3 times throughout that entire movie? Only time I even remember him getting hit was when he got hit with that glass bottle in the club but that was only because it was Dark and he was rageful and careless..

yea, srsly.

DrBo42

More Eidos response, this time from a community manager:

"This demo is just the very tip of a very, very large and epically awesome iceberg. The plan is to roll this demo out to Gamestop stores all over the US. (Unfortunately age rating complications mean the demo can't be placed in stores in the EU). Before people ask, I'll get in and say that there is currently no official word about the online distribution of a demo. As soon as I have any news either way, rest assured that you guys will hear it here first."

Hmph. I guess we won't be seeing this online anytime soon.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
.GqueB. said:

Edit this.

:lol This is up there on my favorite GAF posts ever list.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
That was a Great GAF moment.

Robin can't counter for shit

Batman...complete opposite.

Youre fucking Batman.

:lol

raYne

DrBo42 said:
More Eidos response, this time from a community manager:

"This demo is just the very tip of a very, very large and epically awesome iceberg. The plan is to roll this demo out to Gamestop stores all over the US. (Unfortunately age rating complications mean the demo can't be placed in stores in the EU). Before people ask, I'll get in and say that there is currently no official word about the online distribution of a demo. As soon as I have any news either way, rest assured that you guys will hear it here first."

Hmph. I guess we won't be seeing this online anytime soon.
:/

Ramenman

Oldschoolgamer said:

Your post is screaming "I didn't follow anything regarding this game for the past 6 months" so loud it only makes you funny-looking.

neight said:
I was afraid of that.

If you're going to play this game like a beat'em all, you're the problem.

Pojo

Banned
.GqueB. said:

Edit this.

Does avatar quoting still get you banned?

I would laugh, but he's right. So I'll just smile. :D

panda21

this is weird

bizarro demo?

wont having it in shops a month or two before release just confuse most people? those shops really love themselves some pre-orders dont they?

DrBo42

panda21 said:
this is weird

bizarro demo?

wont having it in shops a month or two before release just confuse most people? those shops really love themselves some pre-orders dont they?
Yeah, I don't understand the thinking behind it.

Cartman86

Banned
This game is quickly turning into what The Chronicles of Riddick was. A game that has no right to be good actually being great.

.GqueB. said:

Edit this.

:lol :lol

Fucking delivers.

I can't wait to play the demo though. It looks pretty badass.

DrBo42

New pics from the demo:

04-06-09_1844.jpg

04-06-09_1845.jpg

04-06-09_1847.jpg

Last picture is a shot of the damaged costume after the challenge is over. Gotta say I love the main menu, very Batman.

Lebron

Marty Chinn said:
Want! Want badly!

How are they distributing this to Gamestop and why do some Gamestops have it and others don't?
it's at Best Buy as well, and one of other friends said he played it at Walmart too. So who knows, seems like some places have it, while some don't. Luck of the draw I guess.

DrBo42

AgentOtaku said:
PS3 version yes? ...how was it running? ...it being UE3 based and all
I'm sorry, my post might have been misleading. Those aren't my pictures. As I stated before all of the demo kiosks are PS3, there are no 360 demos. Based on reports I've read the game runs damn solid, and people can't help but remark constantly about how fluid the fighting and animation are.

DrBo42 said:
I'm sorry, my post might have been misleading. Those aren't my pictures. As I stated before all of the demo kiosks are PS3, there are no 360 demos. Based on reports I've read the game runs damn solid, and people can't help but remark constantly about how fluid the fighting and animation are.

rad! :D

Top Bottom