• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

Tobor

Kung Fu Jedi said:
You're most likely out then, because it's based at Arkam, which means a fairly small, limited scope, and you won't likely be going from rooftop to rooftop or anything.

Reading through that information, I see very little to get all that excited about here.

Yeah, this isn't what I was hoping for either. I want Assassin's Creed Batman, not Metal Gear Solid Batman.

Ramenman

Tobor said:
Yeah, this isn't what I was hoping for either. I want Assassin's Creed Batman, not Metal Gear Solid Batman.

You can be sure Batman's Creed would have the exact same flaws as the Assassin's.

Tobor said:

That's exactly what I would want as well. A free roaming Batman game in a sprawling Gotham City with some of the game mechanics from Assassin's Creed and GTA. Seems like it would have the potential to be a great game.

And it wouldn't necessarily have to have the same problems as AC. My issues with AC were that it didn't have enough mission variety, too repetitive in general, and the combat mechanics were not challenging enough in the long haul. The whole future setting, VR thing was unnecessary as far as I'm concerned as well, but that's a whole different issue.

Tobor

Kung Fu Jedi said:
That's exactly what I would want as well. A free roaming Batman game in a sprawling Gotham City with some of the game mechanics from Assassin's Creed and GTA. Seems like it would have the potential to be a great game.

And it wouldn't necessarily have to have the same problems as AC. My issues with AC were that it didn't have enough mission variety, too repetitive in general, and the combat mechanics were not challenging enough in the long haul. The whole future setting, VR thing was unnecessary as far as I'm concerned as well, but that's a whole different issue.

Yep. The core of what a Batman game should be was in AC. How he should run, jump, use the buildings to his advantage, the basics that they always get wrong.

This game might be fun, it just doesn't sound like what I wanted. Hopefully I'm wrong.

If Dini's writing it and they have the DCAU voice cast it will be worth a rental at least.

Being a comic book game though, it's almost a guarantee that the melee combat will be terrible.

sonicmj1

I'm not entirely sold. It could be really cool, or it could just be the sort of thing that sounds awesome on paper, and has terrible, terrible execution. Still has to do more to convince me.

It's an interesting take on the license, though, so they deserve credit for that. Going open world might work better, but almost every superhero game these days works that way. This could be different and good.

sonicmj1 said:
It's an interesting take on the license, though, so they deserve credit for that. Going open world might work better, but almost every superhero game these days works that way. This could be different and good.

Exactly. There are more than enough open-world superhero games, including whatever Pandemic is doing with TDK.

Father_Brain said:
Exactly. There are more than enough open-world superhero games, including whatever Pandemic is doing with TDK.

I know the Spider-man game is sort of open world, what others are there??

sonicmj1

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I know the Spider-man game is sort of open world, what others are there??

Both Hulks were open world, as was Superman Returns.

Prototype and Infamous are also kind of like open world superhero games.

sonicmj1 said:
Both Hulks were open world, as was Superman Returns.

Prototype and Infamous are also kind of like open world superhero games.

Ahh... that's right. I do remember those being open world. We could use a GOOD one though, and Gotham is such a part of Batman lore, even more so than Metropolis is to Superman. They could really do some interesting things with it, which is why I think it could work so well, but it would need the right team though.

I don't really count Prototype, Infamous, or Crackdown as they aren't established superheroes, although they do have similar elements. Something like Batman or Spider-man comes with it's own history attached to it. A certain familiarity if you will, that those games don't have.

karasu said:
It's disturbing to watch people get hyped for absolutely nothing.

The game has potential, it seems well thought-out, and nobody has done this kind of take on Batman before...a Riddick/Condemned Batman game is a good thing, and worth at least some hype.

DiddyBop

i like the sound of this. sounds exactly like a mix of bioshock and resident evil 4. while it isnt open world, from the sound of it its not exactly linear either. the smaller area also means more attention to detail and a more concentrated game,whereas open world games can easily feel bland.

this game is officially on my watc list,cant wait to see some screens.

karasu said:
It's disturbing to watch people get hyped for absolutely nothing.
It's an interesting concept, the developer's first game was good (if flawed) & the writer has good form as does the company handling the character design. I'm not hyped but I am intrigued. I find it quite sad that you're so pessimistic about it.

TreIII

Kevin Conroy AND Mark Hamil?!

...This already is be shaping up to be the BEST Batman game ever. Do the damn thang, guys! I haven't enjoyed a Batman game since "Returns" on the SNES!

DrBo42

permutated said:
Made perspectives better, what the fuck, would you complain about games using First Person alot? No. Why the hate for over-the-shoulder.

People have to hate on something. Dude probably looked through the list of features and had his eyes bulge when he came across that. "YES! They implemented the popular camera position from RE4! I can work with this. Muahahaha." Illogical criticism for the win.

FoneBone

Syckx said:
From what a buddy of mine told me, the game is never going to see the light of day if Warner has its way.
Would this have to do with the quality issues that are rumored to have kept the game from surfacing so far?

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Xater said:
Really? I got something over 7 days.
kay said:
162 000 seconds = 1.875 days
:lol really? i was only going by what someone (Sallokin) has told me in another thread.

Sallokin said:
Someone pointed out on the Joystick comments that the countdown on the Batman site looks like it's going to take approximately 21 years to countdown....
Sallokin said:
Yeah someone did the math and it came out to almost 21 years, others are saying it's 2.1 years. Either way that's a long time.

Top Bottom