• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Batman: Arkham Asylum' (PS3/X360/PC) Officially Announced

The way batman's suit in this game has rivets or whatever on his chest and arms makes me think it is possible he has some kind of hard padding under it all, making his chest look more buff then you think. This of course is a broken theory because the trophy in the demo shows rips and skin directly underneath.

JRW

Initial ratings looking good:

Xbox World 360 Magazine UK 08/17/09 Review 95 out of 100

Game Informer 09/01/09 Review 9.5 out of 10

Games Master UK 09/01/09 Review 96 out of 100

Christopher

What the hell are these challenge maps I thought at first it would be like an exclusive scenerio/story but it seems like some lame extra I know some online dudes who are pre-ordering just for the Scarecrow "challenge" level.

Phreak47

pizzaguysrevenge said:
I totally expected this game to score 6's and 7's when I first saw it.

It's nice to be proven wrong sometimes. :)

The IGN writer even said he had similar impressions after the demo.
Still probably a rent for me though... can still get about 2 weeks out of a blockbuster rental. Going to try for that. My next BUY is Uncharted 2.

Minamu

Christopher said:
What the hell are these challenge maps I thought at first it would be like an exclusive scenerio/story but it seems like some lame extra I know some online dudes who are pre-ordering just for the Scarecrow "challenge" level.
Challenge maps are bascially combat arenas separate from the main game. You can either play brawler maps or stealth maps with special objectives (and this is where online leaderboards come in). The scarecrow maps will most likely be paid DLC (unless it's confirmed already?) later on so preordering it is pretty smart imho.

dolemite

Just pre-ordered a 360 version for $47 from Amazon. The PS3 version will come out 1 buck cheaper if anyone is interested. The promo code is here CAG

EDIT: forgot to add :D :D :D

Wow.. Just watched the geametrailers review and this game looks pretty darn good.
Never even heard of it/paid attention to it until some pre order bonus for the slim.
Could anyone tell me how the frame rate is on this game for the PlayStation 3?

RavenFox

Banned
CurlySaysX said:
Wow.. Just watched the geametrailers review and this game looks pretty darn good.
Never even heard of it/paid attention to it until some pre order bonus for the slim.
Frame rate is fine on PS3 no difference to 360. If you want the ultimate experience then go for the PC version. Mods FTW!

Also, my order has shipped from Amazon and in transit in NY. yippee:D

TheExodu5

Banned
CurlySaysX said:

Framerate is a tad better on 360 (either that or motion blur is helping the 360's cause here). Tearing is a little worse on PS3 as well.

I'm a framerate whore, and it's really not bad at all. I'd say it's comparable to Uncharted in the framerate/tearing department.

Cheech

CurlySaysX said:

It's fine, actually. I played it myself at lunch. I still bought the 360 version, though, on my preorder. It's just a knee jerk reaction at this point in the gen, I like seeing what everyone is doing on XBox Live too much. :lol

It's too bad, I would have liked to have had the Joker content. Oh well.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Dr. Acid Avatar said:
I didn't like the demo that much, voice acting was great, but that's to expect from the two guys who've been doing Batman and the Joker for ages on the cartoon very happy

but the game itself.. HERE WE GO!

Batman is waaaay too buffed, he's cape is rigged as fuck and it annoyed the shit out of me (it moves, but it moves like it has pieces of cardboard inside)
Everybody is buffed, from every fucking inmate and guard to Gordon! HES OLD!! WHY THE FUCK IS HE BUFFED!?!?
All the inmates look a like, their either bald and buffed or bald with spikes and buffed..

Batman has a counter button that has no limit to it (ie: counter meter which would fill up doing regular moves, and would deplete if you used a counter, even if you fucked it up) so since there is no meter.. there is no fucking up , you just tape down the Y button and watch batman take out every spider sensing ass rapist (inmates appear to have spider sens (squiggly lines over their head) to show you when they're going to throw a punch.. leaving you with enough time to counter EVERYTHING.

To balance out the difficulty they added inmates with machine guns.. to take these out batman can use his "detective vision" seriously.. DETECTIVE VISION!! the whole world goes blue and batman can see people through walls in skeletal form.

THROUOUOUOUGH WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I remember being banned for shit like that on CS...

he can than use his grappling hook to latch on to conveniently placed gargoyles, shown in the demo in the hospital ward, WHY WOULD YOU HAVE 6 FEET WIDE GARGOYLES HANGING FROM YOUR CEILLING IN A STERILE ENVIRONMENT!!!!!!!!1

I just left my detective goggles on (when batman uses the vision, all that happens is; his eyes go pure white.. so apparently he has LCD lenses..)

He can also throw batarangs, infinite by the looks of the demo, but this can of course be to give you taste of the all mighty USELESS bataring, they do fuck all damage, that's why they're fucking useless.

Before playing the demo I was about to line up at my nearest gamestore 4 days in advance wearing my batman pajamas and the cape I made out my batman beach blankie.

I spit on the game after playing the demo.

pic-reality-worst-game-ever1.jpg

LunaticPuma

dresses business casual
Has it been explained why the camera is pulled back a little on the PS3 version?

I have the 360 version in shrink wrap and have been debating whether to exchange it for the PS3 version or just keep it. I grabbed it yesterday during the TRU $30 GC deal out of habit since 360 is my primary console. I'm trying to decide if I'd really play the Joker challenge rooms at all or not. I usually don't play extra stuff like that much outside of the main game.

quick question:

i just bought this game oof steam, can i use a 360 pad for it? i saw some pics here and it seems it has native support, but is it just for the GFWL version or does it work with steam too?

if not: a cheap and easy way to implement them?

KevinCow

Banned
°°ToMmY°° said:
quick question:

i just bought this game oof steam, can i use a 360 pad for it? i saw some pics here and it seems it has native support, but is it just for the GFWL version or does it work with steam too?

If you just bought the game, I have to wonder why you didn't, you know, try it first before asking GAF.

KevinCow said:
If you just bought the game, I have to wonder why you didn't, you know, try it first before asking GAF.

download is really slow for me, so i just wanted to be ready when i'm able to launch it.

i bought the pc controller today and this is the first game i buy off steam, so i'm kind of new to all this stuff.

cory

Banned
°°ToMmY°° said:
download is really slow for me, so i just wanted to be ready when i'm able to launch it.

i bought the pc controller today and this is the first game i buy off steam, so i'm kind of new to all this stuff.
It should, since the demo does. Most newer multiplatform games do.

Antagon

I've been playing the game using keyboard and mouse (since it doesn't let me map the buttons of my ps2 pad, it only supports the xbox 360 controller) and I have to say that those controls work fantastic, much better then I would expect from a third person action game.

°°ToMmY°° said:
quick question:

Since you asked all GFWL titles have to feature pad support, so yes the game supports it fully. it will even switch over the on screen buttons on the fly if you swap between kb to pad.

360 pad mind you, so the pad buttons will show up as a green A, red B and LT LB etc.

If I imported this game from the U.S (I'm in Australia) and I want to upgrade to the game of the year edition will my save files still work or will I have to start over?

Top Bottom