• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham City First Review - "One of the Best Games Ever Made"

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I have complete faith in Rocksteady, but yeah, as Stump said, first exclusive reviews aren't credible.

jgminto said:
I'm not against DLC but why the fuck is that considered a positive note?
Post-release support.

Mama Robotnik said:
I'm sure it will be a great game (excepting the PC version of course), but as everyone has already said: first review means nothing.
Sucks about your personal GFWL problems but the PC version will be incredible.

jgminto said:
It may be the best game ever, but is it Oscar-worthy?

EDIT:

I'm not against DLC but why the fuck is that considered a positive note?
DLC also stood out for me, but more for the reason why it has been included in the review. How can you know that the dlc will give a lot of extra gametime? Since it hasn't even been announced and could be crap for all we know.

Doomrider

kevinski

Banned
ChiefEdiri said:
Going off the first one, I really don't see the hype in the series. Granted I just started the game and only made it to the part where he gets it's Batmobile, but there is honestly nothing special in it for me.

The original does feel somewhat confining at times, but it looks as though the sequel will eliminate any of the gripes that I have about the original. I was playing Just Cause 2 last night, after having watched the Batman: Arkham City gliding vid that's been floating around, and I was just thinking of how amazing the grappling is gonna feel in Batman: Arkham City.

Shurs

RooMHM said:
This type of journalism shouldn't exist. Journalists who use so much hyperbole should be shot.

I've never understood why a bit of hype riles people up so much.

iNvid02

it does look really good, but i suspect the world won't be very big - just a feeling.
if it's got tons of stuff crammed in it then yeah it could offset that but still, i hope its big.

Kyaw

MadraptorMan said:
Why'd they have to delay the PC version...it's going to take all my willpower to not buy the PS3 version now.

Your willpower is obviously not good enough for the superior PC version.

iNvidious01 said:
it does look really good, but i suspect the world won't be very big - just a feeling.
if it's got tons of stuff crammed in it then yeah it could offset that but still, i hope its big.
I believe it was five times the size of Arkham Asylum full with detail.

Himself said:
Was the batman a roided up meatball in the first game too? That looks incredibly dumb. Bad screenshot?

He was, everyone is actually.

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm surprised at the amount of 'meh' from people in this thread.

Are people really that jaded as to not be excited for this game? Arkham Asylum was absolutely brilliant. I'm expecting nothing but great things with this game.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Shurs said:
Anyone else get the feeling that the playable area is actually fairly small compared to most open-world games?

Sure, it looks big in pictures and videos, but I wonder how much of that is actually accessible.
If anything will hurt the experience for me, that will be it. Part of me wants a Gotham that I can explore Spider Man 2 style, but thats not going to happen...

UrbanRats

Shurs said:
Anyone else get the feeling that the playable area is actually fairly small compared to most open-world games?

Sure, it looks big in pictures and videos, but I wonder how much of that is actually accessible.
Aside from the size itself (which is measurable, ofcourse)it's a matter of feeling.
Red Dead Redemption's map felt too little to me, while GTA4's felt huge, while the actual walkable area is far smaller.
I think Batman will sport a relatively small open-world, that will feel huge due to the nature of the game.

Vire said:
The game has been given a 10/10 and has been refered as being "one of the best games ever made".

197341_117476_back.jpg

A challenger appears?!

I just use this to support my statement that news outlets only use the term "Best game ever made" as a marketing ploy. It's not an opinion you should value as credible, so i'm not really buying this review.

Derrick01 said:
What are we comparing the world size to, Oblivion? Just Cause 2?

The game world is 5 times larger than AA. This gives a small taste of the scale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW4je-Y-0Xo

Wow, the part in the video when he takes down the final enemy and the moonlight is shining behind him looks great.

fart town usa said:
I'm surprised at the amount of 'meh' from people in this thread.

Are people really that jaded as to not be excited for this game? Arkham Asylum was absolutely brilliant. I'm expecting nothing but great things with this game.

I think most people aren't excited about the review, instead of the game.

Himself

entrement said:
I hated the demo to the first game. Was it a bad demo or something?

I didn't hate the demo, but it didn't totally sell me on the game. I know I'll get around to playing both someday and it's nice knowing there may be two gems (or masterpieces) waiting for me. I just can't get over how jacked batman is. What the fuck is that? He was always known for agility, not muscularity.

But yeah...I'm sure the games are amazing. I've just had way too much stuff to play lately.

Dahbomb

Huge fan of the first one and if this is as good or better than the first one I am going to be happy. I have been in media blackout with this game only thing I know about this game is that apparently Catwoman and Robin are in this because they have been plastered everywhere anyway.

Reviews however don't really get me that excited/hyped anymore. Judgment will be made when I play the game and beat it... if it's really good I will 100% like I did Arkham Asylum.

Kung Fu Grip said:
Has there ever been an exclusive review that got an average score?
IGN had the day 1 exclusive review on Devil May Cry 2 and gave it a 7.0. Probably more than it deserved but shit hit the fan when that review hit the net. I remember it as clear as day.

Smellycat

Kung Fu Grip said:
Has there ever been an exclusive review that got an average score?

Kane and Lynch's gamespot review? I don't think it was exclusive, but it was being promoted by gamespot's parent company.

DR2K

Banned
I've never seen a first review this positive, so that's saying something at least. It's on my radar now.

Riposte said:
Hahaha, man.

Also it would need an entirely different combat system from Arkham Asylum to even be great, let alone one of the best. But again then who are they writing to? Not me.
Ummm... Personally my favorite fighting system in any action/adventure game to date...

Sober

ZombieSupaStar said:
I have the first on pc but havent played it, could I just forgoe that game and play this one without "missing" anything?
You should to get a hold of the combat (which is fairly complex but not overly, but there's more than what you assume to get on the surface) plus IIRC, you start AC with all the gadgets at the end of AA, so there aren't those awkward moments where you don't know exactly what to do (doubtful, but less tutorial screen reading) up until new stuff starts coming in.

I don't take much stock in exclusive reviews but wouldn't even be surprised if it was, the first was already one of the best games of the entire gen.

Ignis Fatuus said:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li11gxbxiH1qzzdwp.jpg/IMG][/QUOTE]

Wait, they actually said that? Are they claiming this game is better than the comics, the movies, and the shows? All of that? HA HA HA OH WOW.

Shurs

Derrick01 said:
What are we comparing the world size to, Oblivion? Just Cause 2?

The game world is 5 times larger than AA. This gives a small taste of the scale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rW4je-Y-0Xo

That's the video I was referring to.

The water on the left obviously cannot be crossed and the skyscrapers directly in front of Batman when the video ends are inaccessible.

I realize that this is only supposed to be a small portion of Gotham City, and it is very dense, but it also feels a bit cramped.

Not that it's a big deal, and I'm actually glad the game is open-world. I'm very excited to play it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ignis Fatuus said:
Well unlike the movies and stuff you can actually play in this world. Goes a long way. Don't get your rage bent out of shape. I happen to think that if it's that good (which it should be) then it will be the best of the best on Batman related media.

Riposte

Wow, so Batman flies around like Superman huh? I suppose its funner that way so whatever lol.

EDIT: In AA, he sort of fought like Superman if you got your combo meter high enough, so shouldn't be surprising.

Top Bottom