• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham City PC DX11/3D Vision/PhysX effects detailed

As bummed I am about Physx only working well with Nvidea cards, I think the effects are cool enough that I intend to get an Nvidea card when I upgrade. I ran the benchmarks in Batman AA with Physx on and (other than the 5 FPS) the physx stuff was really cool.

The paper in the library flowing around and actually interacting with the environment and enemies is such a cool little detail that I love to see in games. The volumetric fog was pretty meh, though.

Traumahound said:
Really? I stand corrected then. A quick Google said there was one (or at least one "planned"). Guess it didn't make the cut.
you could write your own hardware accelerated physics using compute shaders in DX11, but no one has bothered yet. i'm guessing it's not a big enough segment yet to make it worthwhile.

also, remember that PhysX is nicely packaged to work with any UE3 game already, which makes it fairly easy to implement for developers. it's no mystery why a lot of the games with PhysX support are UE3 engine titles.

Darkkn

If you are ATI user you can still enjoy this stuff if you have powerful enough processor.
PhysX runs great on my i5 2500k cpu, ATI 5770 setup(atleast ME, first Batman and Mafia 2).

You can't really blame Nvidia for this.. they made a good advanced physics toolset and are pushing it to developers. If they didn't, nobody would be enjoying this stuff. Developers won't make their own physics framework just so that PC gamers can enjoy it. Nvidia made it easy enough that it's worth the effort for people to do.

Hopefully there will be cross vendor standard in future though...

M3d10n

I didn't know hybrid PhysX solutions were working well. Does it work with any mobo with enough PCIe slots?

plagiarize said:
you could write your own hardware accelerated physics using compute shaders in DX11, but no one has bothered yet. i'm guessing it's not a big enough segment yet to make it worthwhile.

also, remember that PhysX is nicely packaged to work with any UE3 game already, which makes it fairly easy to implement for developers. it's no mystery why a lot of the games with PhysX support are UE3 engine titles.
Havok has been working on OpenCL-based physics for a while. Supposedly free for PC games as well as PhysX too. I believe they are just waiting OpenCL drivers and hardware support to mature before releasing it.

Red

M3d10n said:
I didn't know hybrid PhysX solutions were working well. Does it work with any mobo with enough PCIe slots?
All you need is certain drivers. I use the nvidia 257.12 betas. You install your ATi/AMD card first (incl. drivers), then Nvidia (with hybrid drivers). And you're good to go.

My primary card is a 5870 and I have a GTS250 dedicated to PhysX.

InertiaXr said:
Page 28 of the F1 2011 thread, these 2 guys both have save corruption, and that game came out like 3 days ago?

I think the correct 'theory' in this case is that GFWL sucks
Rodney McKay said:
Fair enough. Let's hope MS can improve with its Win8 Live reboot. Definitely has potential...

kamspy

jett said:
Nivdia should just fuck off. Thankfully the list of physx-compatible games is anemic.

Nvidia is probably helping this game more than hurting, sending resources the PC team wouldn't have otherwise had. Look what they did for Just Cause 2.

jackdoe

kamspy said:
Nvidia is probably helping this game more than hurting, sending resources the PC team wouldn't have otherwise had. Look what they did for Just Cause 2.
Exactly. I don't see how throwing in PhysX support on top of what they already have in the game will hurt the game at all. It's an easy way to add some more physics simulations that were not present in the console version.

As for the "Plays Better" on Nvidia/ATI support which leads to issues with specific cards, then that is bullshit.

Varna

Pimpbaa said:
Something wrong with your setup. Trying just using the 580 for both the rendering and the physx. The Physx stuff in AA isn't demanding at all.

Nope. PC runs 100% stable and handles everything beautifully. I spent a long time testing Alice, Batman and Mirror's Edge trying to get a steady 60FPS with all the physX stuff turned on and my results were pretty similar to other people.

On a slightly humorous note. I wanted to try the Batman benchmark again to see why my exact score was with a single 580 and I can't even get to the title screen. Instant crash when loading up and a error message saying my system is missing windows live files... lol This is after reinstalling the thing to make sure it works well too.

Top Bottom