• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight Announced (PC/PS4/XB1, 2014) - Drivable Batmobile!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how they'll make the Batmobile useful without seriously nerfing the crazy mobility that Batman had in Arkham City. I mean, you could basically fly in that game. Unless they take that ability away from you, I don't see how driving the Batmobile will make sense from a gameplay perspective.

WarMacheen

Bat Mobile looks like a brute chopper, which is cool
chopper1thumbnail.jpg

I'm ok with this

does it come in black?

Kinyou

edit: oh fuck , series finale? I suspect they'll just drop the Arkham name, not the actual Batman titles each year.
Yep, I imagine it's the final game for Rocksteady and probably Conroy, but we'll probably see a couple of spin-offs before Batman is really put to rest

d00d3n

I am a bit surprised that a drivable batmobile is the selling feature here. Both Arkham City and Origins feel very vertical compared with other open world games. I can't remember following ground level streets for extended periods in either game. It seems to me that their emphasis on the batmobile in the announcement implies that the batmobile will have traversal options way beyond a "normal car", at the very least as a critical upgrade during the course of playing the game. Jumping batmobile? Vertical rocket boosters? The botmobile can be transformed to a batwing type vehicle? Another possibility is that the open world is massively expanded compared with the previous games and that the verticality is de-empasized somewhat (sounds like a bad idea). Another possibility still is that the batmobile is thrown in due to requests from PR who wanted a clear selling point, with the actual game having the same formula as the previous games.

KDC720

Digging the new Batsuit, similar to the Origins design which I really liked. Looks like we will be exploring Gotham in the rain too.

WarMacheen

The new suit is glorious

Though, they need not go any further with the mechanical vibe, it's starting to creep into Iron Man territory

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Yep, I imagine it's the final game for Rocksteady and probably Conroy, but we'll probably see a couple of spin-offs before Batman is really put to rest

Yeah, there's basically zero chance that Warner is not going to make Batman games forever, they're just going to stop calling them Arkham.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
That cover looks amazing.

The batsuit looks similar to Nolan's Bat except more grey instead of all black. I like.

Kuro

I don't know how they'll make the Batmobile useful without seriously nerfing the crazy mobility that Batman had in Arkham City. I mean, you could basically fly in that game. Unless they take that ability away from you, I don't see how driving the Batmobile will make sense from a gameplay perspective.

You just made me realize how absolutely ridiculous the gliding was in Arkham City. I really hope they nerf the gliding. Its just so silly in retrospect.

Jonboy

From the GI article:

Game Informer said:
As you've probably guessed from the cover imagery, the Batmobile is finally a core element of the gameplay. An entirely new area of Gotham City, far larger than Arkham City, has much wider streets to accommodate the new driving gameplay that is designed to integrate smoothly with Batman's gliding and grappling traversal. Batman chases down super villains Scarecrow, Penguin, Two-Face, Harley Quinn, and more.
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2014/03/04/april-cover-revealed-2014-1039752374.aspx

Yazuka

That's great! I am a bit amazed that its current gen only. Was expecting PS3 & 360 versions too. A bit of a shame that you can't finish the entire series on one console, unless you are a PC gamer.
Wasn't there rumors about the other games being ported to current consoles? Was there ever any evidence of that or was it just some wishful thinking?

Jonboy

I don't know if this has already been pointed out in the thread already, but Warner Interactive signed a deal in 2011 that ensures that all Rocksteady and Netherrealm games will be UE3 until 2014. This game IS RUNNING UE3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/17/netherrealm-and-rocksteady-using-unreal-engine-3-for-the-next-f/

Umm...it's 2014 now. From the very article you posted...

Given that Epic has said UE4 is being targeted "exclusively" at next-gen consoles, it gives us some insight into when Epic -- and developers -- are expecting to be creating games for successors to PS3 and Xbox 360. Sometime around, say, 2014?

I want to get this game... but Origin kind of burned me bad on the whole support side and overall quality (not to mention the confusing setting... which was supposed to be set in the past, has a very 50's feeling setting, but contains tons of advanced computer electronics)

I know I can expect more from Rock Steady (and I do) but it really is kind of offputting if I think about it too much.

Is Arleen Sorkins reprising her role as Harley Quinn? It may literally be the deciding factor for me... do we know yet?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I don't know if this has already been pointed out in the thread already, but Warner Interactive signed a deal in 2011 that ensures that all Rocksteady and Netherrealm games will be UE3 until 2014. This game IS RUNNING UE3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/17/netherrealm-and-rocksteady-using-unreal-engine-3-for-the-next-f/

Guys it's not very hard to figure out that Epic isn't going to force them to use the old version of their engine when they can upgrade them to the new one and make them dependent again for the entire generation.

Kinyou

Guys it's not very hard to figure out that Epic isn't going to force them to use the old version of their engine when they can upgrade them to the new one and make them dependent again for the entire generation.
It's also great advertising for the UE4

SykoTech

Excellent art. Excellent premise. And no cross gen.

Thank you, Rocksteady.

Don't see why some people are acting like it can't be a "trilogy finisher" without being on PS360. Halo 1 and 2 were on the original Xbox, but the trilogy "finisher" was on 360. This isn't anything new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom