• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman: Arkham Knight - Be the Bat

Labolas

I totally missed out on this game. After seeing Gotham Knights and being disappointed with the Avengers game, I got the itch to play a Batman game. Played and beat Arkham Asylum and skip City. A lot of things that Arkham Asylum had remained in this game; namely the stealth and combat. I have to say that Rocksteady nails what it feels like to be Batman. I'm really pleasantly surprised by how much I like it. I remember people complaining about the Batmobile and thought it would feel clunky but it doesn't feel bad at all really. Although the combat still feels super mashy, I like the stealth takedowns. Funny though I thought that Scarecrow sequences were the strongest parts in Asylum and the Joker were the weakest especially his boss fight. Glad that Rocksteady made Scarecrow a big deal instead of you know the Joker again. Fyi though I just started the game so my opinion might change.

Last edited:

Labolas

I just never got around to it on last gen and I couldn't just buy the game immediately as I could with Knight. It was a last second decision.

Last edited:
I just never got around to it on last gen and I couldn't just buy the game immediately as I could with Knight. It was a last second decision.

Terrible decision as it has the best story of all 3 but too late now since you already spoiled yourself with the Joker.

Be the Car

I played this for three hours and only 3 minutes were spent punching and stealthing. That fucking car with its shitty puzzles and drone (???) combat gave me cancer. I'm surprised the Batmobile is not used for swinging around gargoyles too, it's probably the single opportunity they missed.

slade

Glad that Rocksteady made Scarecrow a big deal instead of you know the Joker again. Fyi though I just started the game so my opinion might change.

th

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
City and Origins are worth playing too :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
Glad you like the Batmobile. I do too, but it's really the make or break for Arkham Knight.

slade

Dead Joker gets more screen time than Live Joker ever had.

Not to mention the three other Jokers in the game. The game starts out without the Joker and then just like the other games, he becomes practically the driving point behind the story.

Ludicrous Display

Neo Member
The problem with the Batmobile is that the only time you ever use it is when you're forced to by the Riddler or during the tank bits. Why would you use your motor any other time when you can glide around like, well, a bat.

And there's tank stealth missions hahaha.

Last edited:
I liked it! Lots of content.

The riddler trophies, I tried them when I encountered them, not gonna hunt the other .. 300 I guess.. fuck me.

Protip: check out the dlc, the harley quin was nice, and the one with the 4 extra bosses I think.. some good stuff in the dlc.

tsumake

From a design standpoint, Arkham Knight is Rocksteady’s “full package” batman game. While not really needed to traverse the city, the batmobile feels well integrated into the game and the vehicle combat systems feel like an extension of the free flow combat system.

Paul Dini did not write this game and it’s particularly felt in the dialog. However once you get past that you have a very mature story that does not give most flattering image of Batman. Not to spoil anything but the Arkham Knight is not well integrated into the story; it would have been better if the game focused on Scarecrow. Personally I think making Scarecrow the main villain wasn’t that interesting, but perhaps that is because I think he makes a better side villain or a villain for a smaller story. But the way it explores Bruce’s mental state and his relationship with Joker is compelling.

As for Arkham Origins, I think of it as a guilty pleasure for Arkham fans. The story isn’t the greatest and the ending frankly sucked, but the tonal shift is strangely endearing. It has a bit of that grimdark fad that was popular in the early 2000s and the general meanness to the characters in fun in a pulpy way.

But the game itself is fun. The electricity gloves are overpowered but are a fun distraction in the combat system. I liked how Rocksteady recognizes AO as canon even though they didn’t develop it - there’s a nod to the game in the evidence locker at GCPD in Arkham Knight.

Last edited:

Nico_D

Well, I almost hated it. I felt like it did nothing new except for the car but other than couple of moments, it wasn't that interesting to drive around. In the end, I had to force myself to finish the game - and I didn't even consider playing for the real ending.

The perfect Batman game lies somewhere between Arkham Asylum and Origins. The boss fights and investigations were good fun in Origins.

SkylineRKR

Hotter Take:

Origins was the best in the series.

In terms of story and bosses, yes. I just loved an intelligent Bane in this. And what about the Deathstroke battle.

But I think I liked City more overall. Perhaps a cleaned up Origins would fix this though. It was less stable and more glitchy on PS3 than City was. Sadly this game has been ignored since. I would like to revisit it the most of all Arkham games.

Last edited:

hyperbertha

People still diss on Arkham knight? I thought the travesty that was the recent 'batman' games reveal taught people just how spoiled we were with arkham knight. It was a great game, all things considered. I don't expect anything near that quality from WB anytime soon.

SkylineRKR

People still diss on Arkham knight? I thought the travesty that was the recent 'batman' games reveal taught people just how spoiled we were with arkham knight. It was a great game, all things considered. I don't expect anything near that quality from WB anytime soon.

Worst Arkham game so far.

But probably better than whats being unveiled lately.

buizel

Banned
Played up until you have to get the Bat tank into the chemical place or whatever with tethers and shit. Not the first time the second time.

Gave up because it annoyed me and couldn't figure it out and there was no other missions to play. Loved the game, atmosphere, music , combat, everything except that annoyance.

For the record I loved car combat (reminded me of Wii Play Tanks lol) and driving the car about the city.

VulcanRaven

My favorite Batman game. I had no problem with the Batmobile gameplay. It also has great DLC like the 1989 and The Dark Knight costumes. They come with the Batmobiles but you can't use them in missions sadly.

Last edited:
The best of the trilogy by a country mile. To be honest Rocksteady made the same game 3 times. Knight just has more bells and whistles than the other 2 . And the car. Which makes it the best in my opinion.

Glad to see someone who enjoys the Batmobile. Never seen complaints more exaggerated than what people say about this thing. The tank battles are fun, easy and quick and the way they created 'Predator' mode for the car was brilliant. I also dont understand why its supposed to be a bad thing that you use it to solve some puzzles in the game. Its another Batman's gadget.

That being said theres been so much crying about it i doubt we'll see it in another game. Some people were already crying when they saw Batgirl on a bike in the Gotham thing reveal. I just dont get it lol i thought Bat 'vehicles' would be the most requested things in Batman games. Guess not

VulcanRaven

Do you have the version with all the DLC? If not then I recommend getting The Season of Infamy DLC. It adds missions to the main game.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I'm actually making my way through the series now. I had played Asylum year ago and just recently finished City a few nights ago. Story was a rushed mess at the end IMO and it didn't really have any impact on me. Will start Origins soon, and then get to Knight hopefully before November.

Shubh_C63

I am glad people are turning around on Batmobile combat. Those sections to me were one of the best ones.
Once you get the rhythm of enemy tanks its easy and oh so satisfying.

Not to mention that game visually is stunning.

I am glad people are turning around on Batmobile combat. Those sections to me were one of the best ones.
Once you get the rhythm of enemy tanks its easy and oh so satisfying.
Couldnt agree more. I actually boot up the game from time to time just to play those. I always feel like im in the twilight zone when i read how bad the car was to some people. Seriously, i think the way they implemented the car into Batman's arsenal was their greatest achievement in that game. Everything else was 'Standard Arkham' with great graphics, really. I cant believe so many people are clamoring for it to be just a mean to get from point A to B. Some even want it scrapped altogether lol

Oh well

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
I loved the batmobile in this (felt so fun, responsive and tactile), really loved being able to call it up and dive into it.

In terms of the fundamentals of the gameplay it's my fave game in the series.

Come at me bro.

Edit: I also liked Jarjar Binks =p.

Last edited:

Tajaz2426

Psychology PhD from Wikipedia University
Origins, City, Asylum, Knight, my opinion anyway. I don’t know why I just enjoy Origins for the detective stuff and the story was pretty great.

I am glad you are enjoying a Batman game, with Batman though.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I know people don't like the car, but I do,... and I think it's impressive how Rocksteady made 3 games in this franchise and managed to differentiate all of them. It would have been way too easy to just churn these shits out one after another ("Batman ends up in the Asylum... again! And he loses his powers... again!" Etc.).

Last edited:
Batmobile whining really is overblown IMO. (just make sure you change tank mode to "toggle" and not where you have to hold the button). But yeah, if you dont like it, there is a lot of content in there centered around the batmobile.

The worst thing about the game isnt the batmobile, its the lack of proper boss battles. With that said, its still probably the best, most fully fleshed out experiences in the series.

D3SCHA1N

I know there were some who didn't like the control for the batmobile with holding LT / L2 for battle mode (something I acclimated to eventually and preferred to the toggle controls) but I think the primary complaint was just that, especially toward the end of the game, they really shoved it down your throat with a ton of forced batmobile sequences. They went a little overboard pushing it and making players use it too often. I think control wise it's one of the most fun vehicles to drive in a game where driving isn't the primary mechanic. Driving that thing around Gotham was more fun than driving around Los Santos in GTA V imo.... I spun a donut on takeoff everytime...

Top Bottom